ADVERTISEMENT

Band noise.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
In light of the ongoing discussion on the 4a thread, please re-state the lack of any rule that is enforceable by the White Hat, with respect to band or crowd noise during a football game.

There is no NFHS football rule or VHSL standard for football regarding bands or any artificial noisemakers. Officials aren’t the authority on what bands can and cannot do. That lies with site admins.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thank you sir. I not sure how many times they have to beat that poor dead horse, but he could sure use a break.

Thank you sir. I not sure how many times they have to beat that poor dead horse, but he could sure use a break.

Not a problem. It’s one of the most asked questions. I don’t know if that horse will ever stop trudging along. We just gotta do our part to get it to its grave. What perpetuates it is the fact that artificial noisemakers are outlawed by NFHS basketball rules. Fans see it in the gym and think it carries over to the field.

Not a problem. It’s one of the most asked questions. I don’t know if that horse will ever stop trudging along. We just gotta do our part to get it to its grave. What perpetuates it is the fact that they are outlawed by NFHS basketball rules. Fans see it in the gym and think it carries over to the field.
It ranks right up there with the screaming fans each week telling the officials how they miss-applied a rule, (which is usually an exclusive NCAA or NFL rule).

I'm fortunate to be working beside the clock keeper each week. Like many clock keepers, he is a former on-field official. Talk about a learning experience, wow! I worry the poor guy to death some nights. But I have learned so much from him.

Reactions: VAOfficial
It ranks right up there with the screaming fans each week telling the officials how they miss-applied a rule, (which is usually an exclusive NCAA or NFL rule).

I'm fortunate to be working beside the clock keeper each week. Like many clock keepers, he is a former on-field official. Talk about a learning experience, wow! I worry the poor guy to death some nights. But I have learned so much from him.

You’re right. It’s usually a misapplication of a different rule set, or something they came up with all on their own based on what they thought they saw.

That’s a great experience that the average fan doesn’t get. I’m fortunate enough to know those gentlemen that work the clocks. Many of them serve as mentors to us that are still on the field. Those guys have forgotten more than I’ve learned.

You’re right. It’s usually a misapplication of a different rule set, or something they came up with all on their own based on what they thought they saw.

That’s a great experience that the average fan doesn’t get. I’m fortunate enough to know those gentlemen that work the clocks. Many of them serve as mentors to us that are still on the field. Those guys have forgotten more than I’ve learned.
If the average fan would spend $6.99 on Amazon to get a digital rule book. A lot of misunderstanding of the rules might be solved. Of course when three people read the rule. There would be three different opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT