74-74 2:00

Haliburton on basket, feed from Johnson. Lee 76-74

1:24 remaining

Lee ball on rebound. Up 2

Jayden Williams fouled. Goes to line with Lee up 2

Williams hits both. Lee 78-74 44.2 in OT

McClung misses, Vaughan rebound.

Pettiford to the line.

Pettiford headed to the line for Lee, who leads Gate City by four. 34.8 sec. left.

Hits first.

Misses second

Lee 79-74

Lee ball after GC miss. 23.2 left

Looks like Lee will survive. Pettiford headed to the line again with the Leemen ahead of Gate City 79-74. 23.2 seconds left.

Pettiford hits front of rim on FT, bounces in.

Hits second.

Lee fans can sense it. Leemen up 81-74 with :23.2 to play.

FINAL: Robert E. Lee 81, Gate City 74.

Leemen will take on Dan River tomorrow in 2A boys basketball semis at 7:45 p.m. at JMU.

Devils season ends at 23-5

GC - McClung 29, Ervin 25,Collier 14, Kimbler 3, Vermillion 3

2018 6'7 Jarvis Vaughn stepped up down the stretch and scored in crunch time. He finished with 24 pts. - Darius George with 15 pts for Lee

Last edited:
But will Lee have anything left in the tank tomorrow against Dan River?

This felt like a championship game played two games too early.....

And Leemen did it without Darius George the entire OT.

Great team win for LEE!!

RE LEE boxscore

George 5 5-9 15, 13 rebounds
Vaughan 11 2-3 24
Williams 2 8-10 14, 2 3pt
Haliburton 5 1-2 12, 1 3pt
Johnson 4 2-2 10
Pettiford 0 6-8 6

Team 27 24-34 81, 3 3pt

Reactions: pizzzzza
Great team win for LEE!!

Agree on the TEAM part - 5 players in double figures - 24 of 34 Free Throws - Vaughan steps up big time - win a tough game playing the entire OT without team leader, George.

Gate City WILL be back next season - no doubt about that!

Agree on the TEAM part - 5 players in double figures - 24 of 34 Free Throws - Vaughan steps up big time - win a tough game playing the entire OT without team leader, George.

Gate City WILL be back next season - no doubt about that!
No doubt. Gate City will be the big favorite in 2A next season with McClung and Ervin returning. Lee could be better then people think. Vaughan, Williams, Pettiford, Velvin, Elliston, Simmons, and freshman Vest return. Lee great George will be hard to replace though.

No doubt. Gate City will be the big favorite in 2A next season with McClung and Ervin returning. Lee could be better then people think. Vaughan, Williams, Pettiford, Velvin, Elliston, Simmons, and freshman Vest return. Lee great George will be hard to replace though.

That's a nice nucleus returning for Lee - I didn't realize they had that many returning.

But like said, George (along with Johnson), will be huge shoes to fill.

No idea if this is the least bit true at this point, but someone is saying on another site that McClung will be leaving GC for Oak Hill.

I have heard this from multiple Gate City people. Didn't his sister give up her senior year at Gate City for something in soccer before going to Florida State?

I haven't seen McClung play in person. Only highlights. But from what I hear defense is not a strong point of GC. That surprises me because other teams I've seen play from GC would smother you with defense. Because of my work schedule I don't get to see games now. But when I did, GC's defense was so fun to watch.

Despite the high score, I felt like this game was played at Lee's tempo. They tried to work the ball around and get the good shot whereas GC generally fired it up the moment they crossed half court. I guess that is what they have done all season and it must have worked for them, but McClung had trouble getting uncorked. Great game overall but a classic case of "live by the three, die by the three."

As the Lee coach has said in interviews, they gutted it out once George fouled out. I definitely think the four best teams won their games today and tomorrow should be a couple of dandies.

McClung CAN play very good defense. But as Coach Vermillion said in the write up before this game...He's unable to play defense the way he would like to play it due to his lack of depth on the bench. GC has always been known for defense but this is the thinnest (yet most talented) team I've seen at GC. If McClung or Ervin either one had been in foul trouble GC would have been dead in the water. McClung last year got in foul trouble alot but played much better defense due to having more bench players and Scotty wasn't nearly as worried about him fouling out. You have to do what you can with what you have. If Scotty had been able to turn McClung loose on both ends all while giving him a breather occasionally it's untelling what all the kid could have done. Mac never sat one minute against DR or Lee....He played his tail off and I'm sure he was exhausted.

As for the Oak Hill talk, I'm a GC guy and can't say for sure if it's true. But if true, I wouldn't be suprised for him to leave and I can't say that I blame him. The kid has proven he's unstoppable, even on a much higher level of competition playing for Team Loaded VA. He had a very average game against Lee yesterday and was still the best player in the gym and it wasn't even close.

Reactions: KptVol
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT