ADVERTISEMENT

brookville

Personally I think that Amherst has been over rated this year. Not trying to offend anybody, they're definitely improved from last year and I love coach Phillips. BUT the way they were built up, compared to the performance I personally saw.... Just didn't add up.

Personally I think that Amherst has been over rated this year. Not trying to offend anybody, they're definitely improved from last year and I love coach Phillips. BUT the way they were built up, compared to the performance I personally saw.... Just didn't add up.
Some people feel the same can be said for JF..I guess everything will come to light the next 5 weeks. GL to all

Reactions: wikki
Actually, I don't see them over rated at all. They're good and much improved from the last few years but I don't think there's been an Amherst fan on the board that has said the Lancers can beat a JF or a Salem. They're not there yet and they know it. One thing you have to say about Lancer fans, they know what it takes to win at a high level. If someone built up the Lancers, it wasn't an Amherst fan.

I picked Appomatox to win last night. I guessed the Lancers weren't ready. Appomatox played well and they are damn good. Their record in games is clear. But Amherst also did not play well. They are more than the squad you saw. I've seen it happen to many teams over the years (unfortunately, especially mine). The Lancers are better than they showed last night. thinking they will be an easy out in the playoffs will be a mistake.

Some people feel the same can be said for JF..I guess everything will come to light the next 5 weeks. GL to all
JF is clearly NOT over rated. However, without a defense, they will be questioned when they get through the first few playoff rounds.

Appomattox is probably going to be the only state champion in this area. I have seen Appomattox on several occasions this season and I would put them up against anybody in this area. Every team they have played they have put up crazy numbers on defense. With all the talent at Amherst you should have had plenty of depth to have kept you in the game. That defense whooped your butts last night and there is no excuse you can use to take away from that kind of defensive performance. I think they held Amherst to under 100 yards of total offense I could be wrong but if they got over 100 yards of offense it wasn't much more than that. Injuries area apart of the game the last time I checked. Part of the injuries could be Appo. lays the wood when they tackle. The only thing I have questioned about Appomattox is was their offense good enough to win a state title and their offense has gotten better every week. They played a tough schedule this season also. Beating Rustburg and Amherst in the same season is no small feat. Both Amherst and Rustburg has the talent to win a couple of games in the playoffs. So I am not real sure what you saw last night that would make you think they do not have a legitimate chance of winning a state title in 2A.
Just my opinion is all, they only beat Rustburg by 7 and we beat them soundly, just had a bad night. With our QB out it impacted us. He has pulled Amherst out in several games in the 4rh quarter. Your defense was good but not that good, we should have not run up the middle so much either. No need to get so upset at a post on here just because I have an opinion that you don't agree with

JF is clearly NOT over rated. However, without a defense, they will be questioned when they get through the first few playoff rounds.

I'm just saying you could make that assumption by looking at their schedule.. Maybe Brookville and Magna Vista which are their 2 best wins aren't that good.

It was nice to meet and talk with you last night wikki. However, I disagree with you, I think Appo is a very good football team that will go far into the playoffs. In fact I think this was the worst loss we had all year and two of the others were Salem and JF. If Appo continues to play this well they just might be playing for a championship title. They were very disciplined on defense and shut down an Amherst team that had been putting up big numbers in recent weeks.

I'm just saying you could make that assumption by looking at their schedule.. Maybe Brookville and Magna Vista which are their 2 best wins aren't that good.
Schedule wise, that assumption must certainly be considered. Their clear defensive short comings must also be considered. Their extreme margins of victory need to be put into that equation also. No one has stopped them all year and it's not even close. Then again, Salem can claim the same thing. They are the clear favorites in the West, even with JF in the mix.

But I look at the East Pods. There are a slew of teams that can play with and/or beat whoever comes out of the West. It's a shame they'll all be gone when that time comes.

MV just got beat by 7 by GW and threw 4 INTs.... They're not that good? Lol

Appomattox also beat Heritage. 3-0 against Seminole teams. They are legit and a threat to win it all.

It was nice to meet and talk with you last night wikki. However, I disagree with you, I think Appo is a very good football team that will go far into the playoffs. In fact I think this was the worst loss we had all year and two of the others were Salem and JF. If Appo continues to play this well they just might be playing for a championship title. They were very disciplined on defense and shut down an Amherst team that had been putting up big numbers in recent weeks.
Nice meeting you as well but I still believe what I believe. Amherst QB getting hurt didn't help, he is a come from behind guy. Amherst is much better than what they showed last night. I still do not think Appomattox will win states

JF is the one that was rated so it makes more sense that people would think they were overrated. They deserve that rating for sure but will have their biggest test in the semis or state. They will not get past Salem

Reactions: salemfan32
Int's are a part of the game..Bottom line is this we don't have a clue how good some of these teams are because they have played some soft schedules. Some of the teams that are being lauded as good after (insert fav team here) smokes them really aren't that great, but you have to make them sound good to build up the excitement. I understand like I said until someone knocks off Salem I'm rolling with the Spartans out West.

Last edited:
.....except JF. I know that's a benefit game but it still shows they're in very close competition with each other. I'm sure Salem has progressed this season just as much as JF has. Should be a great game

Just my opinion is all, they only beat Rustburg by 7 and we beat them soundly, just had a bad night. With our QB out it impacted us. He has pulled Amherst out in several games in the 4rh quarter. Your defense was good but not that good, we should have not run up the middle so much either. No need to get so upset at a post on here just because I have an opinion that you don't agree with
I'm not a Appomattox guy I am a rustburg guy and was at the rustburg appo game and rustburg Amherst game. By far the worst Rustburg has played so far is the Amherst game. That game was close up til start of the 3rd quarter you take away a few of those turnovers by rustburg and that is a different ball game going down the stretch. But I know turnovers are part of the game as well as injuries. but stat wise Amherst did not blow that game open it was fairly even stat wise.

.....except JF. I know that's a benefit game but it still shows they're in very close competition with each other. I'm sure Salem has progressed this season just as much as JF has. Should be a great game
They are not as close as you think. Yes, it was a benefit. Yes, they have both progressed. But Salem is the most complete team in the West. I agree with Devils. Spartans are the clear favorite. Thank goodness this will be decided on the field over the next few weeks.

I was referring to the teams that Salem had played this year. They haven't been in any close games. Wasn't trying to compare them to JF in that post.

I was referring to the teams that Salem had played this year. They haven't been in any close games. Wasn't trying to compare them to JF in that post.
I know, I was saying they played in a benefit game.

I'm not a Appomattox guy I am a rustburg guy and was at the rustburg appo game and rustburg Amherst game. By far the worst Rustburg has played so far is the Amherst game. That game was close up til start of the 3rd quarter you take away a few of those turnovers by rustburg and that is a different ball game going down the stretch. But I know turnovers are part of the game as well as injuries. but stat wise Amherst did not blow that game open it was fairly even stat wise.
I like Rustburg but our QB helped in that game and was not able to at Appomattox

jfcav1, I appreciate and respect your opinion about MV but it is what it is an opinion and every living being has an opinion. Therefore my opinion states that MV's defense is the best you will see in the state now because they have really improved since the beginning of the season. Also, on last night against GW our offense had many missed opportunities to score but didn't because of turnovers. So that tells everyone that if we are moving the ball and accumulating over 400+ total yards of offense compared to GW's 100+ total yards of offense with no offensive score in the 2nd half, that we controlled the game but we didn't cross the goal line enough to get the W. So on the scoreboard GW won but on paper MV dominated the game but lost the game due to turnovers. If we were to play JF or GW on any given night again in my opinion if we didn't beat JF it would definitely be a scare for them and we would definitely beat GW. So, again thanks for your opinion but just like last year when MV lost to GW I'm sure many had the same opinion that you have now that we weren't that good. Well to recap and refresh everyone's memory that "not so good" team won the state championship and has a ring to show for it. And as of 10:00pm last night after the 4 INT's, we put on our playoff face to focus on the next goal and that is to repeat as championships. And that's my opinion.

jfcav1, I appreciate and respect your opinion about MV but it is what it is an opinion and every living being has an opinion. Therefore my opinion states that MV's defense is the best you will see in the state now because they have really improved since the beginning of the season. Also, on last night against GW our offense had many missed opportunities to score but didn't because of turnovers. So that tells everyone that if we are moving the ball and accumulating over 400+ total yards of offense compared to GW's 100+ total yards of offense with no offensive score in the 2nd half, that we controlled the game but we didn't cross the goal line enough to get the W. So on the scoreboard GW won but on paper MV dominated the game but lost the game due to turnovers. If we were to play JF or GW on any given night again in my opinion if we didn't beat JF it would definitely be a scare for them and we would definitely beat GW. So, again thanks for your opinion but just like last year when MV lost to GW I'm sure many had the same opinion that you have now that we weren't that good. Well to recap and refresh everyone's memory that "not so good" team won the state championship and has a ring to show for it. And as of 10:00pm last night after the 4 INT's, we put on our playoff face to focus on the next goal and that is to repeat as championships. And that's my opinion.
Best defense in the State? Almost certainly not. Even best in 3A would be up for debate. But take nothing from MV. They are very good and will likely vie again for a Championship.

MV beat GW in every way but the scoreboard last night and that's a credit to GW. Champions find a way to win and GW made plays when they had to last night. A pick 6 and a KO return are still ways to score last time I read the rule book.

Well done by both squads. MV can take this game and look forward very positively. The bad part is that GW should be concerned because now they have to play with the big kids. They're not in Kansas anymore. Of course, being in the West will be helpful for a week or two.

jfcav1, I appreciate and respect your opinion about MV but it is what it is an opinion and every living being has an opinion. Therefore my opinion states that MV's defense is the best you will see in the state now because they have really improved since the beginning of the season.

MV gave up 93 points in 2 games this year..Lake Taylor 93 in 10 games...But I like you standing up for your team.

No no, I was responding to somebody else saying that MV IS good. They said maybe MV and brookville just aren't that good (in regards to JF's to big challenges) and I was questioning why he thinks you guys weren't good considering you kept it that close while having 4 picks

I have followed your post shauntclair for quite some time and at times I get a chuckle out of your verbiage in your replies on vapreps! You articulate like an art major describing the Sisten Chapel, it's awesome! But I do have to jump in here and say that the MV defense that i saw last night is going to be a nightmare to any opposing offense in 3A playoffs this season. I have been critical of MV this season due to the fact that MV returned all its starters on defense except 1 from last year and shouldn't have given up the chunks of yardage early in the season and points that they did! I saw coach Favero over the summer and congratulated him on his title and told him "you are going to have a stingy defense next year" to that he replied "well that would depend on how hard the kids are willing to work!" You know right there he is a smart coach because he wouldn't even speculate because he knows how kids are and wouldn't put his kids on a pedestal. He wants their own work ethic to put them there! That being said, I attended several games this year and I, like most objective people, sat back when they played Bassett 4-6, Patrick Co 2-8, Franklin Co 0-10 and MV shut them out and said "well they haven't played anybody" but the defense I saw last night was a Dominate defense period! I will not say they are best in the state but I will say come watch them play in the playoffs and add your comments to a future post with what you see as I would like to hear your spin.
I posted comments because you DID say MV had the best defense in the State. No question, MV proved their defense was quite good last night. My compliments. I also believe they have a very real shot at State. GL. But they lost last night. Being the best team doesn't always translate to a win. I used to live in an area where James Monroe was and is the same as GW was last night. They made the plays they needed to win. They didn't pass better, run better, play better defense or offense. But they won. It happens.

MV will be fine. GLin the post season.

Shauntclair, I didn't make the statement that MV was best in the state, that was another poster on this thread. I made a statement that they are a dominant defense now at this point in the season as compared to earlier in the season! None the less I do enjoy your posts.
You are correct and have my apology. Lancer first said they were the best in the State.

I really interested In seeing what MV does with Heritage . Heritage is coming along strong later part of the season . They are really young but looks like they're playing there best football now .

Appomattox must not have brought their "A" game to Gretna. They beat Gretna 34-0 or something like that, but I was not overly impressed with them, compared to what I had heard.
You have every right to say that about Appomattox O, we started out the gate slow that game. They couldnt punch it in when we got to red zone during the first half. I want to throw some numbers at ya though. Appomattox rushed for 292, passed for 133, combined 425 yards of offense. Gretna had 115 rushing and 33 passing, combined 148 yards offense. Sooooo, I would have hated to see what the score would have been on a good night and to 'impress' you? 800 yards offense?

Another thing, Coach put in the 2s and 3s halfway through the 3rd qtr....

Hey Dude do you know between Gretna & Altavista they have 8 State football championships ! When Yall win one let me know . So go ahead enjoy your year it's only been since 1966 lol it's funny Where have you been the last 5 or 6 years on preps ??

Whoa? Just catching up on this board, were you not the guy that said, Appomattox was going to catch a L vs. Amherst? I will pull it up if you want on 2A board.
True and they are good but Amherst QB injured ankle and out for most of game, that would have made a difference because he can pass, but Appo was still the better team that night

Hey Dude do you know between Gretna & Altavista they have 8 State football championships ! When Yall win one let me know . So go ahead enjoy your year it's only been since 1966 lol it's funny Where have you been the last 5 or 6 years on preps ??
There is no debating with you man, you always want to point to the past (just as you did Cox in other thread about is rings on finger). Listen I live in today, I live in the day of a coach that is in his 4th year of coaching at Appo and doing a great job. He has built a great coaching team around him and i applaud him. I just saw this post you made about you praising Appo and remembered you was the same dude that said we was going to get waxed.

Why dont you come up tomorrow at 2 PM and watch Appomattox get WAXED again?

Personally all the hype J.F has gotten the last few years makes me wonder if they're overrated..Atleast when Amherst was on top of their game they went to 4 straight Championships winning 2 of them...Nobody said Amherst was going to beat Salem and J.F and I knew and many Amherst fans knew App was no joke...Enjoy your ride jfcav1 and try and win a Championship cause J.F being on top(in this area)won't last forever or beyond this year..

Turner is QB and Page is RB..
Personally all the hype J.F has gotten the last few years makes me wonder if they're overrated..Atleast when Amherst was on top of their game they went to 4 straight Championships winning 2 of them...Nobody said Amherst was going to beat Salem and J.F and I knew and many Amherst fans knew App was no joke...Enjoy your ride jfcav1 and try and win a Championship cause J.F being on top(in this area)won't last forever or beyond this year..

Amherst didn't have hype just talking about how they improved which they have. JF needs to enjoy run while they can and brag when they win the States

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT