ADVERTISEMENT

brookville

Personally all the hype J.F has gotten the last few years makes me wonder if they're overrated..Atleast when Amherst was on top of their game they went to 4 straight Championships winning 2 of them...Nobody said Amherst was going to beat Salem and J.F and I knew and many Amherst fans knew App was no joke...Enjoy your ride jfcav1 and try and win a Championship cause J.F being on top(in this area)won't last forever or beyond this year..
They haven't had any hype until last year when Christmas went back. They went 10-0 after being very mediocre for about ten years his first year back, got beat by 7 in the third round.... wouldn't say that's overrated. This year again 10-0.... wouldn't say that's overrated. And I would be willing to strongly disagree with that last statement, may lose miller and jones but they have PLENTY of young talent coming up that has gotten significant PT this year. Hard to look that far in the future but inferring they won't be good next year (especially under Coach C) is just foolish.

They haven't had any hype until last year when Christmas went back. They went 10-0 after being very mediocre for about ten years his first year back, got beat by 7 in the third round.... wouldn't say that's overrated. This year again 10-0.... wouldn't say that's overrated. And I would be willing to strongly disagree with that last statement, may lose miller and jones but they have PLENTY of young talent coming up that has gotten significant PT this year. Hard to look that far in the future but inferring they won't be good next year (especially under Coach C) is just foolish.
Understand the loyalty here. I do agree that JF will remain strong under the watch of Christmas. They Will continue to be winners for years. But why did JF get eliminated last season? Because Jones was injured during the game. The same would have happened if it were Miller. Special teams have special players. This year's JF is special. The offense has been unstoppable in 4A, to date. They are NOT over rated. As long as Jones remains healthy, it will continue to be so.......for awhile.

But defense wins Championships. JF has one but nothing of note. No where near at the level of its offense. That is their obstacle to a State Championship along with the fact there is a reason teams don't run the bone anymore. That no one has tried to run the defense that stops it is still insane to me. But it is what it is.

My only deal here is this. JF is FAR from over rated. They didn't beat some good teams. They blew them out. Just look at this year's record. If you don't see it there, you need to go back to school. Still, in the end, it will be the defense that will produce doubters the rest of the way forward. GL to the Cavs.

Reactions: one man
But defense wins Championships. JF has one but nothing of note. No where near at the level of its offense. That is their obstacle to a State Championship along with the fact there is a reason teams don't run the bone anymore. That no one has tried to run the defense that stops it is still insane to me. But it is what it is.
As someone that coaches a team that runs an "outdated" offense...No one runs the bone or veer anymore because they don't want to coach these boring offenses. Lets spread it out get it to athletes and have 64-57 games. Baylor, Ok State, TCU, Oregon, and others playing college football haven't won national titles because you have to run the ball come playoff time. Look at the 6 state champions from a year ago...5/6 ran the ball. Also, you have the defensive philosophy to stop the jF offense? Maybe some defensive coaches out west should call you for some advice.

Reactions: one man
Understand the loyalty here. I do agree that JF will remain strong under the watch of Christmas. They Will continue to be winners for years. But why did JF get eliminated last season? Because Jones was injured during the game. The same would have happened if it were Miller. Special teams have special players. This year's JF is special. The offense has been unstoppable in 4A, to date. They are NOT over rated. As long as Jones remains healthy, it will continue to be so.......for awhile.

My only deal here is this. JF is FAR from over rated. They didn't beat some good teams. They blew them out. Just look at this year's record. If you don't see it there, you need to go back to school. Still, in the end, it will be the defense that will produce doubters the rest of the way forward. GL to the Cavs.

I'd like to hear your strategy that no one else has tried. I'm not sure you understand what Christmas is doing with that offense. It isn't your old school bone. He's got a hybrid offense that has Wing-T stuff, Bone stuff, mid-line and veer, triple option. He's very sound with his X's, O's. Before I begin to ramble, I'd like to see what your strategy is for stopping that offense.

I'd like to hear your strategy that no one else has tried. I'm not sure you understand what Christmas is doing with that offense. It isn't your old school bone. He's got a hybrid offense that has Wing-T stuff, Bone stuff, mid-line and veer, triple option. He's very sound with his X's, O's. Before I begin to ramble, I'd like to see what your strategy is for stopping that offense.
See Notre dame vs Alabama in the orange and sugar bowls. Pure assignments defense. Not positional or area assignments. Man assignments. Personnel are assigned to tackle the QB, RB, TB and FB no matter what. The fakes that normally freeze would be tacklers for a moment are ignored. Everybody started using the defense and when the 'bone' could no longer 'roll', it died. Works for the triple option and veer also. YouTube videos of both these games are available.

Cool note here, Ara Parseghian got the defense from a HS Coach in Massachusetts.

`
See Notre dame vs Alabama in the orange and sugar bowls. Pure assignments defense. Not positional or area assignments. Man assignments. Personnel are assigned to tackle the QB, RB, TB and FB no matter what. The fakes that normally freeze would be tacklers for a moment are ignored. Everybody started using the defense and when the 'bone' could no longer 'roll', it died. Works for the triple option and veer also. YouTube videos of both these games are available.

Cool note here, Ara Parseghian got the defense from a HS Coach in Massachusetts.

I agree, man to man football is the best way I've seen it contained. If you think JF has played 10 games without 1 coach trying to implement a man on man assignment scheme, you are foolish. Just because the coaches draw it up, doesn't mean the players will execute. If coaching was all about drawing up plays, most of us would be coaching in the NFL. Unfortunately for us, you have to have players to execute those plays. At the HS level, extremely difficult to find 11 guys that can execute their defensive assignment against an offense like Christmas brings. As much as I want the best team from the West to emerge, part of me just wants JF to outscore everyone just so I can see that offense against the LT defense. Good Luck to everyone, may the best team hold the trophy in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfcav1
You do have a point here. Week to week is a short time to implement a defense such as this. Very difficult to get a scout offense to simulate it also. Very difficult for a defensive player to not get stopped in his tracks when the QB fakes that pitch, even when he knows his assignment. Drawing up the defense is the easy part. Teaching it is Coaching and, in this case, repetition is the only method that will work. I think a disciplined group can not only do this but be anxious for the challenge. However it must be conceeded, in the Bowl games I mentioned, those Irish teams did have almost a month to prepare and far more talent to work with.

I'm kind of siding with you here. The JF offense against the LT defense would be a heck of a game to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfcav1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT