Calpreps Class 2 Region Finals Projections for All 4 Regions

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
A. King William 42, Nottoway 28

B. Stuart's Draft 31, Central-Woodstock 19

C. Appomattox 38, Glenvar 31

D. Graham 34, Ridgeview 14

Calpreps Top 4 Region Favorites Against each other if they played this week.

King William 31 vs Draft 34
King William 28 vs Graham 40
King William 35 vs Appo 34
Draft 35 vs Appo 34
Draft 20 vs Graham 28
Appo 27 vs Graham 38

They're very high on Graham (undefeated, I get it) and Draft. I think Draft is not quite as good as Appo, KW or Graham. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll be interested to see how those projections hold up in regional championships. There are a lot of variables I would guess that Calpreps doesn't factor in such as Graham.losing a starter due to a season ending injury from the Unuon game or if kids are out having to quarantine. How accurate have they been this far? At least in playoffs?

Reactions: KWcavs360
I'll be interested to see how those projections hold up in regional championships. There are a lot of variables I would guess that Calpreps doesn't factor in such as Graham.losing a starter due to a season ending injury from the Unuon game or if kids are out having to quarantine. How accurate have they been this far? At least in playoffs?
I dont think the variables you mentioned are factored. As for their accuracy based on win or lose they are very accurate. The scores are close as a rule and ratio wise are very indicative if you look at percent of loss or win.

I dont think the variables you mentioned are factored. As for their accuracy based on win or lose they are very accurate. The scores are close as a rule and ratio wise are very indicative if you look at percent of loss or win.
No way a computer on the west coast which allows the prediction for every game in the country can account for each team's individual injuries/Covid out/quarantine, etc. He$$, ESPN isn't even that good. Calpreps is strictly score based, but when they make a pick for example, Appo vs Glenvar, they aren't just looking at the teams Appo and Glenvar played, but it's who all of them played, then who those played, then who those played, then etc. etc, so for example, what goes into the pick with Appo and Glenvar is thousands, not hundreds, but thousands of variables. for example, Glenvar played Galax, Galax plays schools in NC, and some of those schools may play one's in SC or Tennessee, and some of those in TN play some in Alabama, etc. So, literally, not just the state of Virginia, but scores around the country actually play at least SOME kind of role in predicting each individual matchup between two teams. It's called Triangulation in statistics. Using multiple variables to predict an outcome with greater confidence based on the amount of variables or games/samples that you have.

It's why Calpreps accuracy increases week by week every year, because the variables/sample size is increasing which increases confidence level/reduces risk of error. But, the problem this year around the country that has thrown Calpreps off and something it can't account for. Covid. It can't tell if Appo had players out against Heritage. The computer is just fed the score, and that's where it's nowhere close to as accurate this year as years past.

Reactions: oldfool2
KW is gonna take the whole thing! The only weakness they have is on special teams. If they flop it will be a disaster to them cause their talent level is on the decline after this class.

I think that at this point, all of the remaining teams are good and capable of winning it all. I, of course will be pulling for the G-men. I believe this G-men team is very good, because they have a good combination of speed and power and out-standing line play on both sides of the ball. If any of the teams remaining can beat the G-men, my hat is off to them, because it won't be an easy task. Can't wait to see how it all plays out. Good luck to all of the teams that remain.

Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool2
KW is gonna take the whole thing! The only weakness they have is on special teams. If they flop it will be a disaster to them cause their talent level is on the decline after this class.
Although each team out there is good and capable of winning it it all, I agree with you. I think KW would’ve won it all last year if Covid didn’t rob their season right at playoffs. If they lose it’s because they beat themselves or someone put up 60+. Although they lose a lot of great seniors this year I would get use to seeing king william make some good playoff runs for a few more years. If they can find their identity without Claiborne.

Reactions: kwhs95fan

From what little ive seen on KW they didn't impress me. Watched a couple games on NFHS. Game against Lafayette they scored their first 4 touchdowns off turnovers. Just didnt pass the eye test to me. I very well may be wrong. Video footage can a lot of times be deceiving to me. We'll see soon enough. Don't bother me to admit im wrong.

Although each team out there is good and capable of winning it it all, I agree with you. I think KW would’ve won it all last year if Covid didn’t rob their season right at playoffs. If they lose it’s because they beat themselves or someone put up 60+. Although they lose a lot of great seniors this year I would get use to seeing king william make some good playoff runs for a few more years. If they can find their identity without Claiborne.
I don't. I think Appomattox would have won it all last year, regardless of who was competing. KW has great talent, and even if the talent was equal to Appo last year (spring) and this year, Appo is lightyears ahead in the coaching department, and if you give Doug Smith an opponent that is equal in talent to his, he's winning 95 out of 100 of those.

I don't. I think Appomattox would have won it all last year, regardless of who was competing. KW has great talent, and even if the talent was equal to Appo last year (spring) and this year, Appo is lightyears ahead in the coaching department, and if you give Doug Smith an opponent that is equal in talent to his, he's winning 95 out of 100 of those.
You do realize that KW has an assistant coach in the booth who was in several state championship games atHermitage and has sent numerous players to big time colleges and even the NFL. And his top assistant for 16 of those 17 years? KW head coach Scott Moore. Don't get me wrong. I respect Coach Smith as much as anyone and I love the Appomattox program, but he's not light years in front of coaches who have been involved in multiple state championships at the highest level of football in the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
From what little ive seen on KW they didn't impress me. Watched a couple games on NFHS. Game against Lafayette they scored their first 4 touchdowns off turnovers. Just didnt pass the eye test to me. I very well may be wrong. Video footage can a lot of times be deceiving to me. We'll see soon enough. Don't bother me to admit im wrong.
I believe the game in the first half was pretty close, I don’t remember but maybe one turnover in that game in the first half. It wasn’t until kw forced Lafayette to punt before they started to pull away. They scored on every possession Claiborne and Robinson were in the game. Every team left in the state has great talent and can win it all and I am bias to my cavaliers. There is a different atmosphere about this team and coaching staff then years past.

You do realize that KW has an assistant coach in the booth who was in several state championship games atHermitage and has sent numerous players to big time colleges and even the NFL. And his top assistant for 16 of those 17 years? KW head coach Scott Moore. Don't get me wrong. I respect Coach Smith as much as anyone and I love the Appomattox program, but he's not light years in front of coaches who have been involved in multiple state championships at the highest level of football in the state.
I'm sorry. I'm certain he is solid. But, Doug Smith is on a different planet and if Appo and KW played and all things are equal and it's left up to only coaching, KW is coming away with a loss. If you are going to beat Appo, you better be 10 points better, or you are leaving with a loss.

I'm sorry. I'm certain he is solid. But, Doug Smith is on a different planet and if Appo and KW played and all things are equal and it's left up to only coaching, KW is coming away with a loss. If you are going to beat Appo, you better be 10 points better, or you are leaving with a loss.
Solid? The guy is a Hall of Fame coach and had 175 wins in 17 years at Hermitage, which played at the highest level of football in the state of Virginia. Win or lose, it wouldn't be because he was outcoached. And this is coming from someone who has nothing but the highest respect for Coach Smith and the Appomattox program.

Solid? The guy is a Hall of Fame coach and had 175 wins in 17 years at Hermitage, which played at the highest level of football in the state of Virginia. Win or lose, it wouldn't be because he was outcoached. And this is coming from someone who has nothing but the highest respect for Coach Smith and the Appomattox program.
I disagree. Smith is better and that doesn't make the HOF coach at King William bad, because he's elite. I'm just telling you, some are more elite. Smith is a different beast. He doing something like Costo is doing that has never been done in Virginia for this long. Maybe Southampton in the 70s, but he's just on another level. There are only a few HOF coaches and they are all elite, but there are only a tiny, tiny fraction of HOF coaches that are still a notch above the rest of those at the HOF level. Smith is that guy.

Remember the statement we would always here in our youth about someone always out there in the world that is better than you, even if just one person, whether football, boxing, reading, writing, brains, there was someone out there in the world that was just a little better. Well, Smith is that guy as it relates to High School coaches in Virginia. He just is.

I disagree. Smith is better and that doesn't make the HOF coach at King William bad, because he's elite. I'm just telling you, some are more elite. Smith is a different beast. He doing something like Costo is doing that has never been done in Virginia for this long. Maybe Southampton in the 70s, but he's just on another level. There are only a few HOF coaches and they are all elite, but there are only a tiny, tiny fraction of HOF coaches that are still a notch above the rest of those at the HOF level. Smith is that guy.

Remember the statement we would always here in our youth about someone always out there in the world that is better than you, even if just one person, whether football, boxing, reading, writing, brains, there was someone out there in the world that was just a little better. Well, Smith is that guy as it relates to High School coaches in Virginia. He just is

Remember the statement we would always here in our youth about someone always out there in the world that is better than you, even if just one person, whether football, boxing, reading, writing, brains, there was someone out there in the world that was just a little better. Well, Smith is that guy as it relates to High School coaches in Virginia. He just is
Whatever you say bud. You're right. I'm wrong. 🙄

For clarity you’re saying if Graham wins on Saturday it will be because they are at least 10 points better period, excluding coaches? I think Smith is other worldly as a coach even more so as a motivator on top of his x&o’s. They have a phenomenal staff at Appo but let’s not discount the level of coaching that the Palmers, Floyd’s and Turners in the world bring to the table. Appo is on a historic run and Coach Smith is the cornerstone to that for sure, just think there are several other that are pretty dang good too in spite of not getting rings. JMO

I think Smith is other worldly as a coach even more so as a motivator on top of his x&o’s. They have a phenomenal staff at Appo but let’s not discount the level of coaching that the Palmers, Floyd’s and Turners in the world bring to the table. Appo is on a historic run and Coach Smith is the cornerstone to that for sure, just think there are several other that are pretty dang good too in spite of not getting rings. JMO
Without a doubt there are coaches out there that are top shelf.
Coach Smith (and I'm not implying he's the only one) is so much more than football to these kids though. He goes so far above and beyond football with them. I have no son on the team this year. Both my boys are now graduated but my youngest (graduated last year) is helping with the team this year. Coach sends daily verses to many of his players and former players, that keeps his relationship with the kids. We need men like him to help mentor young boys in all of our communities.

Beyond what ANYONE thinks of him as a coach. I can assure you, his highest level is his love for Christ and him showing Christ's love to his athletes and community.

So i just realized the games i watched of KW were JV. No wonder i wasn't impressed lol. They only have their first 2 games up on NFHS. I believe one was benefit game.

For clarity you’re saying if Graham wins on Saturday it will be because they are at least 10 points better period, excluding coaches? I think Smith is other worldly as a coach even more so as a motivator on top of his x&o’s. They have a phenomenal staff at Appo but let’s not discount the level of coaching that the Palmers, Floyd’s and Turners in the world bring to the table. Appo is on a historic run and Coach Smith is the cornerstone to that for sure, just think there are several other that are pretty dang good too in spite of not getting rings. JMO
Nobody discounted Palmer Nobody discounted any other coach, but somebody COuNTED A LOT the ability of Coach Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT