ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone in 2A hang with Gate City?

That 2012 dan river team was really good the Lancaster Red Devils was really good that year as well if not for the upset to Essex in regional championship that might have been one heck of a championship game between DR &LANC.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
That 2012 dan river team was really good the Lancaster Red Devils was really good that year as well if not for the upset to Essex in regional championship that might have been one heck of a championship game between DR &LANC.
From 2009 to 2012, Dan River really had some great teams. Had Coach Murphy (DR’s current HC) been their head coach during those years, DR could’ve won 3-4 straight. That Lancaster team in 2012 was a great team. You had to be a very good team to beat DR that year.

From 2009 to 2012, Dan River really had some great teams. Had Coach Murphy (DR’s current HC) been their head coach during those years, DR could’ve won 3-4 straight. That Lancaster team in 2012 was a great team. You had to be a very good team to beat DR that year.
Yes you are right only loss 2 games that year and it was special for LHS when everyone found out they was playing DR it was like o no not again I believed from 09 up to 13 Lancaster should have more than 1 championship LHS was the big dog of region A

I had an ex official tell me DR had to have the sorriest coach in the state if he couldn't win a ring with the talent he had in those years. I guess he's Cave Spring's problem now.

I had an ex official tell me DR had to have the sorriest coach in the state if he couldn't win a ring with the talent he had in those years. I guess he's Cave Spring's problem now.
George Mason waxed DR in the regional final in 2011, it was a clinic of fundamental basketball with back picks, back cuts and solid defense. DR played streetball and had zero plan it looked like. In 2012 DR beat GM in OT for the regional final. Mason then went on to the state finals where they lost to a very tough Lancaster team. Mason lost their all state center Ogle to a broken arm in the semis which erased all chance they had of beating Lancaster. I would loved to have seen that game with Mason at full strength.

George Mason waxed DR in the regional final in 2011, it was a clinic of fundamental basketball with back picks, back cuts and solid defense. DR played streetball and had zero plan it looked like. In 2012 DR beat GM in OT for the regional final. Mason then went on to the state finals where they lost to a very tough Lancaster team. Mason lost their all state center Ogle to a broken arm in the semis which erased all chance they had of beating Lancaster. I would loved to have seen that game with Mason at full strength.

Then GM got blown out in state semis by JR in 2011 who lost to Radford in finals after Beating them for region champuonship.

Reactions: marylandbball
Cade Hungate - Abingdon baseball will play at FSU next year. Scholorships athlete

Not sure the Big East is considered a power 5 confrence. I would agree the Big East Conference is a top 5 basketball confrence.

AND Graham lost big to Eastside. Eastside's basketball team was 0-2 at the Arby's, losing to a Greenville and a down Bahamas team. I know it was early for both teams but the Hudl highlights had what looked like all of Graham's best players on the court. By the end of the year Graham could be the team to beat. Great schedule will help them prepare. Radford has what looks like a fairly easy schedule they could be undefeated heading into the regional playoffs
I'm sure Eastside is very good, but in Graham's defense, they were without a few key players. And it was a SCRIMMAGE. Gate City is the team to beat, but they are beatable and there are several teams in 2A that could pull it off. Also, against Martinsville, Graham was up by about 15 with a couple minutes left and shot poorly at the free throw line. Subs played the last couple of minutes also. Martinsville is down this year a bit. Key to Graham's success will be the play of Garrett Dalton in the big games. He has got to stay out of foul trouble. He's a good post player. A little undersized, but plays bigger.

Also, is Martinsville s coach always that high strung? He was more entertaining to watch then the game. Also, how does Graham's student section stack up? Those guys are usually entertaining also, makes for a fun outing.

Last edited:
High strung? That's normal. Played for Husky Hall at Mavahi and Lefty Driesell at U of Maryland so he learned from 2 of the most high strung coaches ever. Martinsville has gotten a little better, hope they get the game with Graham rescheduled. We don't play many 2A teams so I would like to see this get played so we can see how we stack up before regionals.

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT