ADVERTISEMENT

Can coaches change their offensive mindset and scheme successfully?

Aug 11, 2014
With all this talk about Louisa and their state championship run they are on, it made me wonder how often coaches change their stripes when it comes to offense. We have talked about one dimensional teams and how hard it is to win with them. I know teams like Courtland have been running the same offense for many many years. Does anyone have any examples of a coach adjusting the way they think and run their offense successfully? I also wonder with these coaches who stick to some of these run only schemes, what do they do with the kids they get that can do more? Do they have the ability to coach that? Make a WR better, or make a throwing QB a better throwing QB kind of thing? Maybe as a follow up question.. what have the offensive schemes been that have won say the last 15 championships in 4A...

Last edited:
I think good offensive coaches pattern their offense around their team's strengths. So keeping the same offensive system but tweaking it year to year. For example Dinwiddie's offense is different from it's offense last year based upon its strengths and weaknesses

Reactions: ForksUp
Amherst ran the triple option concept under Abel with Peter Rose at qb out of the I to win the state back to back. Under Phillips they changed to a wing T (lancer fans please correct me if I’m wrong) and hybrid style jet sweep style offense in the next following years to reach it back to back. Defensively they ran a 335 stack style and blitzed the shit out of you with some man and 3 overtop.

Lake Taylor I believe ran a split back veer the year they beat Salem before the Spartans went back to back. The Salem runs the 22 shortened I to get theirs, pretty much the same Salem offense of old with a little bit more modern concepts with the passing game, so I would say a coach can consistently run their offensive scheme that’s unique to them as long as the personnel allows them to do so, they might be competitive with less but generally you need a couple special pieces or a special team a little more than x’s and o’s.

With all this talk about Louisa and their state championship run they are on, it made me wonder how often coaches change their stripes when it comes to offense. We have talked about one dimensional teams and how hard it is to win with them. I know teams like Courtland have been running the same offense for many many years. Does anyone have any examples of a coach adjusting the way they think and run their offense successfully? I also wonder with these coaches who stick to some of these run only schemes, what do they do with the kids they get that can do more? Do they have the ability to coach that? Make a WR better, or make a throwing QB a better throwing QB kind of thing? Maybe as a follow up question.. what have the offensive schemes been that have won say the last 15 championships in 4A...

Coaches have the ability to make those players better as it comes through hard work and technique to get “better”. Work ethic and minimal coaching can take a player to D1 level where they will receive the fine tuning and time dedicated to make them into a polished player. Those special talents at schools like these do one of two things have their coach adapt to do a little more for them or they go to a new pond to be the fish they’re aspiring to be. I’ve heard of power 5 qb recruits coming from wing T schools that was a top pocket passer, so it’s not unheard of it just matters what pieces a team has at their disposal.

I know Colonial Forge runs two different offenses this year and run it well

Last edited:
Amherst ran the triple option concept under Abel with Peter Rose at qb out of the I to win the state back to back. Under Phillips they changed to a wing T (lancer fans please correct me if I’m wrong) and hybrid style jet sweep style offense in the next following years to reach it back to back. Defensively they ran a 335 stack style and blitzed the shit out of you with some man and 3 overtop.
Correct..I miss that 335 stack defense.

I love it. The last time Louisa had a 1000 yard passer was their worst record in the past 15 years. So when people say just throw the ball more I’m not sure what they are looking at. The key for Louisa is can they counter punch when people load the box. It doesn’t have to be high volume. Just enough to either make you pay if you choose to load the box or scare you enough to not put ten in there. Louisa’s offense this year is the best they have been at that since 2010. Believe me if you haven’t seen the Lions this year, they are not running your granddaddy’s single wing anymore. They can beat you in multiple ways with about 6 or 7 different legit weapons. The change in that has been the evolution of a young OC coming into his own and making a strong case to be the next head ball coach for the Lions.

On a side note I love this EV rivalry that is brewing. If anyone knows the ADs see if that game can get scheduled for the non-district slate in the next few years. It would be good for both teams since they play in what are perceived to be weak districts.

I thought Abel was a double wing guy. He runs the triple out of the double wing at Washington and Lee. Went there from Amherst.

I thought Abel was a double wing guy. He runs the triple out of the double wing at Washington and Lee. Went there from Amherst.
I formation with a slot Z back. Midline left, veer left, midline right, veer right. Just like novacaine just give it time it always works. Lol also had a few misdirection packages. Always under center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT