ADVERTISEMENT

Can Riverheads 6 Peat As State Champions ?

Absolutely not true are my thoughts. It’s a wide open race and several teams can and will be heard from. Look I am a die hard fan but I see several areas that need improvement. If that happens we will be a tough out but not a lock. If those things don’t get better then the streak ends this year.

Reactions: MGF
With the coaching Riverheads has and the obvious but in from the players and community they should be a tough out for years. However, like stated above, no one is a lock. Anyone can have a bad game at anytime. I look forward to see how the season plays out for a number of teams.

Absolutely not true are my thoughts. It’s a wide open race and several teams can and will be heard from. Look I am a die hard fan but I see several areas that need improvement. If that happens we will be a tough out but not a lock. If those things don’t get better then the streak ends this year.
Oscar Myer Baloney ( Redpride)

In reality yes it possible but some teams out there plan on ending that streak this year but they will have their work cut out for them if they plan on stopping the big red machine. Great coaching with good players that buy in is hard to beat but they can be beat.

I will say this year and the next two we will have very good teams but to say 6 peat wouldn’t go that far in sports the best team doesn’t always win because they may not be the best team on any giving day.

I will say this year and the next two we will have very good teams but to say 6 peat wouldn’t go that far in sports the best team doesn’t always win because they may not be the best team on any giving day.
That statement is untrue of you, you have been simply the best and I really don’t see the drop coming. There are only 2 ways the butchering ends. (1) Everyone else elevates their play (2) Riverheads moves up due to wanting a challenge or boredom.

Ok you got me, I don't see Riverheads ever losing again. I say starting this year they go 45-0 over the next 3 years. Lol, in all seriousness we have a very good team but there are genuine concerns over a few things that can be exploited with this years team. I am sure the coaches and players are working on those things along with perfecting the 3 plays we run. If this team puts in the work and does what is needed then they will be a tough out.

I still see challenges this regular season out of CB, Stuarts Draft, and potentially Fort. I don't think Skyline, Staunton, Buffalo Gap or Wilson will have the horses to pull off a win this year. Skyline is an unknown but I am not sure they will hold up to the downhill physical style the Gladiators play. So in reality 8-2 or 7-3 is possible. Is it probable, no. I would say we end at a minimum of 9-1 with CB or SD being the team to knock them off if it happens.

With all that said, William Campbell plays a historically tough schedule, and Sussex and Franklin have yet to show their presence in Region B, so anything can happen just within the regional tourney. Add to that that Region A has Rapp, Essex, W&L, CB and Northumberland all making a case for why this is their year and will be battle tested by the time the state semis occur.

Now looking at the other side, Galax has to be a favorite along with a surging Narrows and GW in Region C. Region D is the mystery in the sense that I personally am high PHGS based off of what they brought back from last year. Chilhowie is still playing good ball along with Thomas Walker and Grundy if we look at records. I couldn't tell you honestly if any of the four from Region D have a chance against a Region C representative but they will play the games to see for sure.

All in all I say there are 6 legitimate contenders with several right on the edge of joining the fray.

Reactions: MGF and Oldblue93
I find this question fun to consider but any coach will tell you that you take it one game at a time, certainly not an entire season or two or three seasons at a time. However, having said that, any Riverheads fan has to be pretty pumped up about the next several years. We have a freshman quarterback who has the potential to be one of our all-time great passers. But of course we depend so much on the run that we have only scratched the surface of his potential. One of the more interesting subplots when we resume play on the 27th will be to see if he stays at quarterback or if Big Brother, the injured senior, takes over.

Speaking of those running backs, there are six on the varsity that deserve mentioning........Fulton is the only senior; Roberts, Smiley, Cox are all juniors; Miller and Cole Burton are sophomores. The latter might not be as familiar a name but he has made the most of his second-string chances so far, as he has had at least four runs of 25 yards or more. So once he moves into a starting role, he should be tough. So you "could" argue that after next year, when four of those six have graduated, we might be expected to go down a notch.

But remember there is a JV team that scored 62 points against East Rock last Wednesday in its only game thus far, and that team also has a stable full of backs. So on offense, I see plenty of weapons making that six peat certainly a possibility and it seems as if the well will not run dry anytime soon in that department. Also from what I understand when our kicker graduates this year, there is someone ready to take his place.

Now of course none of that has anything to do with defense, and that in all honesty has shown some vulnerability thus far. Not enough to hurt us, but there have been some lapses on occasion. So I guess if and when we run into any team that has as much of an offense as we do, it could be interesting.

So again fun to think about and definitely a lot to look forward to, but we do need to keep it real. Galax took us down, East Rock shut us out, Stuarts Draft did the job a couple of years ago, Wilson had our number for maybe two or three seasons in a row during its great heyday. So most definitely someone could have that banner year that could knock us off and you can bet the coaching staff is aware of that.

That statement is untrue of you, you have been simply the best and I really don’t see the drop coming. There are only 2 ways the butchering ends. (1) Everyone else elevates their play (2) Riverheads moves up due to wanting a challenge or boredom.
We never get bored with winning

We never get bored with winning
Hey I actually stopped by the Riverheads High School Today, I don’t think you can upload photos up here. Just wanted to see were the magic happens and put some mojo on that property, it was cool to see the Cow / Bull pasture across from school, you guys are bull like lol. I sprinkled some Sussex County Peanut Dust lol ( Mojo) lol. Seriously beautiful school man

Fun to consider but if I have to take riverheads vs the field over the next 3 seasons I'll take the field. A lot of factors. Casto could retire again. Turnovers. An off night.
I'd think Essex, Campbell, altavista, Galax could get them once at some point. Just to name a few.

Hey I actually stopped by the Riverheads High School Today, I don’t think you can upload photos up here. Just wanted to see were the magic happens and put some mojo on that property, it was cool to see the Cow / Bull pasture across from school, you guys are bull like lol. I sprinkled some Sussex County Peanut Dust lol ( Mojo) lol. Seriously beautiful school man
We go on losing steak we got an excuse now lol

Reactions: trutiger16
Yes, they can. And they probably will.

I keep telling you guys we need to start a gofundme to get Brad Bradley back in 1A. He was the only coach I know of at that level that seemed to have Casto's number lol.

I keep telling you guys we need to start a gofundme to get Brad Bradley back in 1A. He was the only coach I know of at that level that seemed to have Casto's number lol.
Hey i got a cool $50 on it ?

Reactions: mmqp
I find this question fun to consider but any coach will tell you that you take it one game at a time, certainly not an entire season or two or three seasons at a time. However, having said that, any Riverheads fan has to be pretty pumped up about the next several years. We have a freshman quarterback who has the potential to be one of our all-time great passers. But of course we depend so much on the run that we have only scratched the surface of his potential. One of the more interesting subplots when we resume play on the 27th will be to see if he stays at quarterback or if Big Brother, the injured senior, takes over.

Speaking of those running backs, there are six on the varsity that deserve mentioning........Fulton is the only senior; Roberts, Smiley, Cox are all juniors; Miller and Cole Burton are sophomores. The latter might not be as familiar a name but he has made the most of his second-string chances so far, as he has had at least four runs of 25 yards or more. So once he moves into a starting role, he should be tough. So you "could" argue that after next year, when four of those six have graduated, we might be expected to go down a notch.

But remember there is a JV team that scored 62 points against East Rock last Wednesday in its only game thus far, and that team also has a stable full of backs. So on offense, I see plenty of weapons making that six peat certainly a possibility and it seems as if the well will not run dry anytime soon in that department. Also from what I understand when our kicker graduates this year, there is someone ready to take his place.

Now of course none of that has anything to do with defense, and that in all honesty has shown some vulnerability thus far. Not enough to hurt us, but there have been some lapses on occasion. So I guess if and when we run into any team that has as much of an offense as we do, it could be interesting.

So again fun to think about and definitely a lot to look forward to, but we do need to keep it real. Galax took us down, East Rock shut us out, Stuarts Draft did the job a couple of years ago, Wilson had our number for maybe two or three seasons in a row during its great heyday. So most definitely someone could have that banner year that could knock us off and you can bet the coaching staff is aware of that.
hey longtimers, I say keep little brother in at qb since he is playing well and put big brother in on defense

Reactions: obguthr

Yep we only beat him once and it was actually his fault they lost. Had the ball with less than 2 min to go with a 10 pt lead and tried to get cute and throw the ball they fumbled we scored then scored again went on to win the championship that year against JI Burton and we should have never been there.

Reactions: Bama1985 and mmqp

Watched that JV game against ER. That Cash kid I was like wow!! He was a man among boys. If he wasnt an 8 th grader he could start on varsity. Somebody told me he was a transfer from Georgia where he won the state wrestling champioship for his weight class. He will be a beast next year as a freshman.

Yep we only beat him once and it was actually his fault they lost. Had the ball with less than 2 min to go with a 10 pt lead and tried to get cute and throw the ball they fumbled we scored then scored again went on to win the championship that year against JI Burton and we should have never been there.

I remember that game. I tuned in at the end and WC radio guys were talking about basketball season. Up to that time they had beaten Riverheads 2 or 3 times in the playoffs including a 33-10 win the year before. I'm not sure what surprised me more, Riverheads beating them or the fact that I could pick up the William Campbell game on the radio in Buena Vista. Final was what, 35-33 IIRC? And then Burton did the Burton thing come state title time in only a way Burton could do it lol. So glad they dont make the state title game anymore.

RH and Galax are currently the class of 1A. The rest of us are hoping they have a terrible game when we play. If those 2 teams have solid games all year with few mistakes they will meet in Salem. They are easily the best coached teams and the kids believe I'm what they are doing. Yeah GW isn't terrible this year but we are not on ether of these 2 teams level. Narrows might make noise but when push comes to shove idk if they have enough to make a title run. PHGS will dominate in the regular season but will fall to a wilting O. Chilhowie is good but not enough to compete with the big dogs this year. And everyone else in C and D are just playing for experience and a building point for next year.

Now Essex can be a problem for anyone if they catch you sleeping. CB might be another team that could be trouble.

RH and Galax are currently the class of 1A. The rest of us are hoping they have a terrible game when we play. If those 2 teams have solid games all year with few mistakes they will meet in Salem. They are easily the best coached teams and the kids believe I'm what they are doing. Yeah GW isn't terrible this year but we are not on ether of these 2 teams level. Narrows might make noise but when push comes to shove idk if they have enough to make a title run. PHGS will dominate in the regular season but will fall to a wilting O. Chilhowie is good but not enough to compete with the big dogs this year. And everyone else in C and D are just playing for experience and a building point for next year.

Now Essex can be a problem for anyone if they catch you sleeping. CB might be another team that could be trouble.
Riverheads has CB next week should be a good measuring stick

I remember that game. I tuned in at the end and WC radio guys were talking about basketball season. Up to that time they had beaten Riverheads 2 or 3 times in the playoffs including a 33-10 win the year before. I'm not sure what surprised me more, Riverheads beating them or the fact that I could pick up the William Campbell game on the radio in Buena Vista. Final was what, 35-33 IIRC? And then Burton did the Burton thing come state title time in only a way Burton could do it lol. So glad they dont make the state title game anymore.
35-31 compliments of fourseasonsfootball, love that site. That was our 1st time beating them. Casto is 1-4 against Brad Bradley and the last one was a 64-6 butt whoopin by WC and I was there and it wasnt that close. Thankfully Bradley moved on to coach elsewhere.

35-31 compliments of fourseasonsfootball, love that site. That was our 1st time beating them. Casto is 1-4 against Brad Bradley and the last one was a 64-6 butt whoopin by WC and I was there and it wasnt that close. Thankfully Bradley moved on to coach elsewhere.

I recall that 64-6 game as well, in fact I was in Waynesboro that night for reasons I do not recall. I drove over to Gladys a week later to watch WC demolish Gap in an extremely cold game. Everyone bundled up tight, meanwhile there was Bradley running around in those little gym shorts LOL!!! He knows how to motivate his players. His achilles heel (Woodlayer and Trutiger will love this) was Sussex Central and Franklin. At least three times those two schools knocked his squads out of the playoffs. The week after walloping Gap and holding Nuckols to like 40 yards, Franklin sent them home with a big L.

I was at the Riverheads game the year before that when WC lined up on the wrong side of the field for warmups and drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Coach Casto. I do not recall the details of that but I do remember the score being something like 47-14. The WC fans were asking me where Gap was and they were not happy to hear that it was even further away than Riverheads was. I'm sure they were even more unhappy when the Bison knocked them off. That was another surprise win from that era.

Maybe if everyone is really nice, those wonderful people at the VHSL will go ahead and just make 2 1a championships, the one for the Gladiators and then let everyone else play for 2nd one.

And in place of those 5 playoff games (maybe 4 for 1b), they can play the other 5 state champions (to make it fair, the winners from last year). So Manchester, Highland Springs, Woodgrove, Heritage, and Graham

And let's go ahead and give them some competition the last 7 games (or let's just say 5 since some believe CB and SD may keep it competitive). So we will take off BG, WM, STA, FD, and Skyline off the schedule now. We can replace with Oscar Smith, Salem, Lord Botetourt, and to make it interesting let's say Bluefield and the close game of Spotswood.

Maybe if everyone is really nice, those wonderful people at the VHSL will go ahead and just make 2 1a championships, the one for the Gladiators and then let everyone else play for 2nd one.

And in place of those 5 playoff games (maybe 4 for 1b), they can play the other 5 state champions (to make it fair, the winners from last year). So Manchester, Highland Springs, Woodgrove, Heritage, and Graham

And let's go ahead and give them some competition the last 7 games (or let's just say 5 since some believe CB and SD may keep it competitive). So we will take off BG, WM, STA, FD, and Skyline off the schedule now. We can replace with Oscar Smith, Salem, Lord Botetourt, and to make it interesting let's say Bluefield and the close game of Spotswood.

On a side not, I'd be interested in seeing Riverheads play Wheeling Central Catholic from WV. Or even Roanoke Catholic.

The problem gunz is nobody will schedule Riverheads. We have TA,Harrisonburg,Rockbridge, Broadway, not on schedule and we have W&L and colonial beach and skyline on schedule.

The problem gunz is nobody will schedule Riverheads. We have TA,Harrisonburg,Rockbridge, Broadway, not on schedule and we have W&L and colonial beach and skyline on schedule.

I'm not saying they will, but they aren't the only ones. And my post was sarcastic since Riverheads is obviously unbeatable to some. And I don't think there is a Riverheads Fanatic out there who thinks they could compete with that schedule. It is just funny to me that most people saying how great they are, everyone playing for 2nd, etc are people who haven't seen them play this year for sure

Now is not the time to be proud/ humble it's the truth the big red machine probably won't lose to a single A school in the next couple of years I'm just being honest. I just don't see it happening. Unless we have another Juan Thornhill or Danielle Babb come through and put an end to there title run. Those kind of players are generational type of talent and hard too come by.

Reactions: mmqp and trutiger16
Casto's Wing-T is certainly a little different than the box cutter standard version. I would argue he is a better tactician overall now than during the early 2000's. The in game adjustments along with the flow to the play calling are what separate him and consequently the Gladiators apart offensively. Anyone close enough to have observed the last 10-15 years or so has seen a progression to the philosophy of the offense that is imperceptible unless you witnessed the earlier iterations.
The defense is also blessed with stability and one of the best HS defensive minds across the state in coach Norcross. It looks vanilla at times but has stopped some pretty prolific scoring teams over the last decade plus. There always seems to be credit given to the scoring that the Red Team does but limiting some of the teams that have been faced is equally if not more important.

In the end we are blessed to have the coaches we have in the entirety of the program. I am not just talking about the ones this board knows about but the countless volunteers at the lower/teaching levels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT