ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone please post the regional formats for all classes and regions?

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
It's lovely that the VHSL posts the weekly ratings. How nice of 89 year-old Edna with her abacus to do so. Poor thing rarely even finishes her oatmeal this time of season.

However, it would be nice to know which teams are on the edge of making or not making the playoffs. And since the VHSL leadership (if you want to call it that) shows zero competence and is full of ineptitude as they allow for various regional playoff formats, it can very frustrating to not know who may be currently in or out.

So I kindly ask. Is there a place that one can see all of the regional formats in all classes? Just looking for how many teams make the playoffs in each region in each class.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It's lovely that the VHSL posts the weekly ratings. How nice of 89 year-old Edna with her abacus to do so. Poor thing rarely even finishes her oatmeal this time of season.

However, it would be nice to know which teams are on the edge of making or not making the playoffs. And since the VHSL leadership (if you want to call it that) shows zero competence and is full of ineptitude as they allow for various regional playoff formats, it can very frustrating to not know who may be currently in or out.

So I kindly ask. Is there a place that one can see all of the regional formats in all classes? Just looking for how many teams make the playoffs in each region in each class.

Thanks.
Look, cut the crass / wise remarks and if you have a question about the Region playoff format, you can ask me directly. I'll gladly answer them.

The lady who does the work for and ratings for the VHSL does a FANTASTIC job and I know this for a fact because I've been covering High School Football for nearly 20 years and no one does the ratings and all the info better.

If you know of anyone that can do it better, I'd sure like to see it... I don't think you realize how big of an undertaking it is for the entire state. Having done the power ratings before and gathering scores / info around the state, I do.

All of the regions to my understanding are 8 team playoff formats with the exception of 5B and 1B, who go with 6 teams where the 1 and 2 seeds receive byes. The VHSL leaves it up the regions.

Hope the answers your question, but please, don't criticize someone you know next to nothing abut or all that he / she has to do to perform one's gig. Thank you.

Totally back Matthew's statements here. Back in the day it was too hard to track when you just got points for winning. Then they started awarding points for losing. Then they started counting games vs out of state teams. Then they started counting games vs private schools. Look at the ratings or the master schedule and see how many teams need to be tracked. It's no easy task trying to do it for one region must less every single VHSL team.

She tracks every game in Virginia, and every team from West Virginia, Tenn, KY, North Carolina, Maryland, DC, and a smattering of other states that play a Virginia team. (Because their wins and loses affect our points the same as Virginia teams.) That is somewhere north of 500 schools. And she does this almost exclusively by herself. This is on top of her regular obligations. She works “on her own time” every weekend, and several nights each week to compile the information and assure the accuracy.

You would be better off attacking Mother Teresa that slandering “Edna!”
(PS, she ain’t 89, she doesn’t use an abacus but rather cutting edge computer programs that boggle the mind, and she doesn’t eat oatmeal.)

Sorry, it didn’t copy and paste properly, but here is the Offical Regional Format.

Region Football Formats
Class 1
Atop 8 using football points
Btop 8 with #1 and 2 getting a bye using football ratings. 6 teams play first round.
Ctop 8 using football ratings
Dtop 8 using football ratings

Class 2
Atop 8 using football ratings
Btop 8 based on the football rating scale. After those 8 are in, then Bull Run will be put in order by district finish and the rating scale will be used to insert Stuarts Draft and Buckingham.

Class 3
Btop 8 using football ratings

Class 4
CBased on win-loss records in district games only, the top 4 teams from each district will qualify and seed as follows: NW1 vs D4, D2 vs NW3, NW2 vs D3, D1 vs NW4, PowerPoints will not be a factor in determining regional playoff qualifiers, except break three-way ties within a district as well as to determine host schools for Regional contests between equally seeded teams

Class 5
Btop 8 using football ratings, seeds 1 and 2 get bye, 3 – 6 by ratings.

Class 6

Last edited:
Reactions: matthew328826
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT