ADVERTISEMENT

Chilhowie and Riverheads: Round 2

my apologies if y'all have already discussed this already but I have missed the poster Chilwar25's comments.

Chilwar25 introduced me and I guess many others outside the west to Chilhowie football a few years ago with his positive support of his beloved community and school and others.

I hope that he is well and gets to see his underdog team play in the title game once more...

any info on him?

my apologies if y'all have already discussed this already but I have missed the poster Chilwar25's comments.

Chilwar25 introduced me and I guess many others outside the west to Chilhowie football a few years ago with his positive support of his beloved community and school and others.

I hope that he is well and gets to see his underdog team play in the title game once more...

any info on him?
I was wondering the same thing

I think the rules say no arificial noise makers. Bring them anyway. What are the going to do search you. Ive heard all kind of noise makers during the state games over the years air horns, cow bells and a lot of other things. Im pretty sure they wouldnt let Giles bring that train horn in a few years ago and man that thing was annoying too but kind of hard to hide that.

Actually they do search any bags or anything else you bring in, maybe even jackets. No outside food, drink, etc

I ageee, I completely discounted some of their games due to them being against pretty bad 1A teams. As I stated in my recant of statements made about ER, I would ask that I am allowed a small side salad with my crow.

As an experienced crow eater myself, I find that eating it cold first thing in the morning works best for me. LOL

It's actually not bad long as you get all the feathers off first. Throw a little Franks red hot on there. It makes everything better.

any info on him?

He has not been on since early November. I to loved reading his posts. Hopefully its just a matter of life and keeping up with those red hot Warriors that's kept him to busy to post.

My latest weather forecast, not that I trust them mind you, says nothing about snow on Saturday. It has now been moved to Sunday. (The forecast, not the game!!!!)

Just curious about a couple of things after reading some comments on here and the swva sports board. With basically the same players back on both teams how or what has Chilhowie improved on to make up for 42 points from last year or has Riverheads gone backwards? I’m thinking Riverheads will run the same plays as usual just like last years game and see if Chilhowie can stop them which they obviously didn’t do last year. I read in an article somewhere that Chilhowie coach wants their opponents to throw 20-25 times a game. Riverheads probably hasn’t thrown that much all year, so good luck with that. Looking forward to the game being played.
Just read an article in Bristol Herald Courier that last years offensive totals were 361 yards for Riverheads and 99 for Chilhowie. That’s a big gap to overcome. If Chilhowie can have more offensive yards than Riverheads this year then they probably deserve to win. Again looking forward to game Saturday.

Last edited:
Before I say anything let me first start off by saying that I think Chilhowie will bring home the state title. My reasoning behind that is this: First off its size!! When I went to the Galax/Chilhowie game I was very convinced Galax would get the W...what I didn't factor into any of that was size and im here to tell you Chilhowie is huge at EVERY position! They did extremely well beefing up in the off season...the other reason is this, the only team that Riverheads lost too not only had the same size as Chilhowie, but also ran a very similar offense...on top of that Chilhowie will be coming into this game hungry! I think the Warriors redeem last years lost.

But basing that off of the Galax/Chilhowie game is a huge misconception, yes Chilhowie won and very deservingly...but the absolute fact is that Galax had numerous opportunities to win that ball game. Chilhowie did do a very great job shutting down the run, but if it wasn't for obvious pass interferences that were not getting called half the time and WR's slipping down Galax would have sliced and diced them in the passing game....All of Chilhowie's interceptions this past weekend came when a Galax wideout slipped and fell down while the ball was in the air which landed right in a Warriors hands. But 90% of the time when Galax's WR's stayed upright they were gashing Chilhowie's secondary. And honestly I was very impressed how well Galax's O-line handled Chilhowie's D-Line when there was a clear size advantage. Again yes Chilhowie won deservingly, but I think the score is a little misconception. On a better field (even if it was grass) and weather I think that game goes down to the wire.....But I for one hope the Warriors bring the title back to the southwest.

Reactions: obguthr
Before I say anything let me first start off by saying that I think Chilhowie will bring home the state title. My reasoning behind that is this: First off its size!! When I went to the Galax/Chilhowie game I was very convinced Galax would get the W...what I didn't factor into any of that was size and im here to tell you Chilhowie is huge at EVERY position! They did extremely well beefing up in the off season...the other reason is this, the only team that Riverheads lost too not only had the same size as Chilhowie, but also ran a very similar offense...on top of that Chilhowie will be coming into this game hungry! I think the Warriors redeem last years lost.

But basing that off of the Galax/Chilhowie game is a huge misconception, yes Chilhowie won and very deservingly...but the absolute fact is that Galax had numerous opportunities to win that ball game. Chilhowie did do a very great job shutting down the run, but if it wasn't for obvious pass interferences that were not getting called half the time and WR's slipping down Galax would have sliced and diced them in the passing game....All of Chilhowie's interceptions this past weekend came when a Galax wideout slipped and fell down while the ball was in the air which landed right in a Warriors hands. But 90% of the time when Galax's WR's stayed upright they were gashing Chilhowie's secondary. And honestly I was very impressed how well Galax's O-line handled Chilhowie's D-Line when there was a clear size advantage. Again yes Chilhowie won deservingly, but I think the score is a little misconception. On a better field (even if it was grass) and weather I think that game goes down to the wire.....But I for one hope the Warriors bring the title back to the southwest.

If you want to see HUGE you need to see Essex.
1 over 400, three or four over 300 and many well in the mid to upper 200s. The RB was 6-2 268, a beast going to ODU next year.
Looking at rosters on VHSL site, looks like Chilhowie and Riverheads each have 1 player over 250. Bottom line, I'm not so sure it's about size as Essex won that battle by a landslide, but I'm thinking it's more about technique and execution.
Looking forward to a good safe game.

Riverheads averaging 46 points a game and giving up 11, Chilhowie averaging 50 points a game and giving up 7 . What’s going to break is it a 50-46 game or 11-7 game?

That explains why Chilhowie didnt want to play on turf.

Don’t believe chilhowie is as big as eastrock and I would say that central is bigger than eastrock

Don’t believe chilhowie is as big as eastrock and I would say that central is bigger than eastrock
I read where 20 of 22 starters are back from last years team. They werent that big last year so I find it hard to believe that 20 players grew that much in 1 year. Some folks are basing there prediction on what happened between ER and Riverheads back in Sept saying Chilhowie is similar to ER. Riverheads is a completely different animal since that game.

I read where 20 of 22 starters are back from last years team. They werent that big last year so I find it hard to believe that 20 players grew that much in 1 year. Some folks are basing there prediction on what happened between ER and Riverheads back in Sept saying Chilhowie is similar to ER. Riverheads is a completely different animal since that game.

Very true, BUT some folks are also basing their prediction and overall perception of Chilhowie on last year. It would appear they are a different animal since then also

That explains why Chilhowie didnt want to play on turf.
People do realize that the DB has to run backwards a couple of steps, turn, then run along side of the receiver, right? So the probability of the defender falling is a lot great than the receiver. The players were more than happy to play on turf but the players don't get to decide.

There were some push offs and offensive pass interference that didn't get called also. Not saying there wasn't any defensive but you have to look both ways to be fair.

There were some push offs and offensive pass interference that didn't get called also. Not saying there wasn't any defensive but you have to look both ways to be fair.
#10 held #24 almost every play....smart on the coach's part because he knew it wouldn't be called much....it is what it is and Chilhowie is a good football team and played better than Galax and deserved to win.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
The biggest difference in the game this year is chilhowie has a little knowledge in the Riverheads scheme which helps them tremendously this year compared to last so I think this will be a dog fight don’t look for the same score as last year and Riverheads goes down there thinking that they will get beat

OPI never gets called enough, IMO

The most ineffective and worst potential call that isn't called in all pro sports. It's equally as bad as a traveling (walking violation) in the NBA that doesn't get called enough. The problem is, offensive pass interference that isn't called can literally change the outcome of the game in a hurry. Even in this offensive age, offensive pass interference wasn't called nearly enough in the 70s, 80s, 90, or 2000s.

Reactions: obguthr
I’ve noticed a lot in college and pro that little push to get separated right as ball arrives

Last edited:
I think I know what will happen in this game and why it will happen, but of course if I were to give it away now, that would give one or maybe even both teams an advantage. But I will come back on after the game and tell you whether or not my hunch was correct.

I am just glad that the snow threat will not be a factor and other than it being pretty cold, we should have a good game. I definitely will not stay for the other game and in fact I will admire the hell out of anybody that gets there by noon, pays their 10 bucks and sits through both games.

I just don't understand the idea of the people that think Chilhowie will win. I have seen them play and they are very good. Much improved from last year. But Riverheads didn't get worse form last year and returns almost as many as Chilhowie. I do think that the teams up the stae have seen Riverheads and that doesn;t help them win. Chilhowie may know what they are getting into and expect to win but I think it will be a tough task.

The most ineffective and worst potential call that isn't called in all pro sports. It's equally as bad as a traveling (walking violation) in the NBA that doesn't get called enough. The problem is, offensive pass interference that isn't called can literally change the outcome of the game in a hurry. Even in this offensive age, offensive pass interference wasn't called nearly enough in the 70s, 80s, 90, or 2000s.
I was totally going to make the comparison to traveling!

Your right but so is Riverheads

I said they were. My point is that everyone all year has said one thing about one side, completely different about the other. Basing something on ER, which I doubt would help anyway, but makes a tad more sense than the opinion of Chilhowie because of how they looked last year. Downgrading them and their achievements because of a team you saw last year, etc.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
I said they were. My point is that everyone all year has said one thing about one side, completely different about the other. Basing something on ER, which I doubt would help anyway, but makes a tad more sense than the opinion of Chilhowie because of how they looked last year. Downgrading them and their achievements because of a team you saw last year, etc.
IMO when you have the same players back 20 of 22 I think someone said your not going to all of a sudden go from an average team which I think they were last year to a great team this year. Just doesnt happen.

IMO when you have the same players back 20 of 22 I think someone said your not going to all of a sudden go from an average team which I think they were last year to a great team this year. Just doesnt happen.

Chilhowie was 7-3 last season and barely snuck in the state championship.

This year they’re undefeated and have blown out every team they have played.

that could be the reason why people think they’re a great team.

So your saying a team can't get better in a year, in which 15 and 16 year olds grow over a year?

So your saying a team can't get better in a year, in which 15 and 16 year olds grow over a year?
Well if there all seniors that would make them 17-18 year olds. I would say at 16-17 your about as fast as your going to get so I dont buy the fact they are faster. The film I have watched they dont look any faster to me. They would have to get a whole lot better IMO to win Sat. They only had 96 yds of offense and 0 points last year so I dont see them as 42 points better this year but thats just my opinion and we will find out Sat.

Reactions: Bama1985
Chilhowie was 7-3 last season and barely snuck in the state championship.

This year they’re undefeated and have blown out every team they have played.

that could be the reason why people think they’re a great team.
Im not convinced. I have seen some of the film of the teams they have played and Im like wow I have seen little league teams better.

Well if there all seniors that would make them 17-18 year olds. I would say at 16-17 your about as fast as your going to get so I dont buy the fact they are faster. The film I have watched they dont look any faster to me. They would have to get a whole lot better IMO to win Sat. They only had 96 yds of offense and 0 points last year so I dont see them as 42 points better this year but thats just my opinion and we will find out Sat.
I understand and respect your opinion. We have them. That what makes discussion board great. It does make a difference if they get someone who is a good weight coach that can show them a good weight lifting program and also is good at making the offensive line that much better. The Red team is a great team and Chilhowie will have to play flawless but IMO I feel like they are 42 points better. They are a lot of factors to the 42-0 win last year than just the Riverheads being the 1A cream of the crop.

Im not convinced. I have seen some of the film of the teams they have played and Im like wow I have seen little league teams better.
So when you hear a coach like Dixon from Galax that we all in SWVA, at least should, have respect for says that a team is scary and doesn't have many weaknesses, that doesn't hold any weight?

I remember the second INT it was 4th and goal

You’re right. Thanks for keeping me in check on both my mouth and my memory.

By the way, I couldn’t buy you a hotdog anyways there wasn’t a concession stand.
Someone lost a lot of money with no concession stand. I was hungry !!!!

I think I know what will happen in this game and why it will happen, but of course if I were to give it away now, that would give one or maybe even both teams an advantage. But I will come back on after the game and tell you whether or not my hunch was correct.

I am just glad that the snow threat will not be a factor and other than it being pretty cold, we should have a good game. I definitely will not stay for the other game and in fact I will admire the hell out of anybody that gets there by noon, pays their 10 bucks and sits through both games.
so the game will be on Saturday for sure, the weather forcast keeps changing, me and man pops and a couple other guys u know usually stay for both games but I guess depends on the weather

I heard on a podcast Coach Dixon say he considers the first five games as preseason ,and he uses them to find the best players on the team . I think Coach Casto may feel the same way. ANYONE who thinks this is the same team as the one that lost to ER , well they are mistaken ! Not sure where you guys get all this film but compared to last season the Warriors better have improved 1000 % . I watched them in person and its hard to say how much better they are when they play a team as bad as Galax . Riverheads JV team could play with Galax . Yes they are bigger more mature and maybe faster , but I see the same look as last season . Good luck to both teams . Go Big Red !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So when you hear a coach like Dixon from Galax that we all in SWVA, at least should, have respect for says that a team is scary and doesn't have many weaknesses, that doesn't hold any weight?
Im not discounting his opinion but he also blows smoke. I distinctly rememberhim saying in an interview before the 2015 state game against Riverheads talking how they wont be able to stop them hopefully just try to score with them. They held Riverheads to 6 points. So what they say in public to what they actually believe is 2 different things. IMO opinion SWVA football across the board is not what it once was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT