ADVERTISEMENT

Chilhowie and Riverheads: Round 2

Im not discounting his opinion but he also blows smoke. I distinctly rememberhim saying in an interview before the 2015 state game against Riverheads talking how they wont be able to stop them hopefully just try to score with them. They held Riverheads to 6 points. So what they say in public to what they actually believe is 2 different things. IMO opinion SWVA football across the board is not what it once was.
Not trying to be negative just stating my opinion of what I have been seeing.

Well something has to give, as there isnt but so much leeway in this. I don't know if I posted it when it happened or just wanted to.

Last year Riverheads beat ER by 21. They both brought back just about everyone. Heard last year and this year how Riverheads is better, which they may be. This year ER beats them by 28. So either Riverheads wasnt as good as last year, ER got better at an alarming rate, or the coaching at ER is better.

The point being, that to discount Chilhowie because they got beat by 42 last year, when they return the team just like that, doesn't make sense.

ER had a 49 point turnaround, if Chilhowie wins by 7, that is a 49 point turnaround.

So exactly what is the difference?

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
I heard on a podcast Coach Dixon say he considers the first five games as preseason ,and he uses them to find the best players on the team . I think Coach Casto may feel the same way. ANYONE who thinks this is the same team as the one that lost to ER , well they are mistaken ! Not sure where you guys get all this film but compared to last season the Warriors better have improved 1000 % . I watched them in person and its hard to say how much better they are when they play a team as bad as Galax . Riverheads JV team could play with Galax . Yes they are bigger more mature and maybe faster , but I see the same look as last season . Good luck to both teams . Go Big Red !!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's hell of a statement even from you!!! Galax did have a bad game and Chilhowie only beat them 28 -7 and probably should've been 28 -21 if Galax doesn't make stupid mistakes....Riverheads JV can apparently play with 90% of varsity teams in 1A then.

Reactions: MT2023
That's hell of a statement even from you!!! Galax did have a bad game and Chilhowie only beat them 28 -7 and probably should've been 28 -21 if Galax doesn't make stupid mistakes....Riverheads JV can apparently beat 90% of varsity teams in 1A then.
Agree , Galax is a poor team . Chil is middle of the road but could be better on a given day , and Riv JV would play with a lot of 1A teams . Glad we aaaaaaaaaaaaagree !

Gunz, you were reading my mind with your 49 point turnaround analogy. The same thing happened with Riverheads and Galax between 2015 and 2016, when a 7-6 loss became a 63-21 win. Now am I saying that Chilhowie will accomplish a 42 point turnaround?????? Well as stated a couple of posts before, I am keeping my thoughts to myself but I think I know what will happen.

Well something has to give, as there isnt but so much leeway in this. I don't know if I posted it when it happened or just wanted to.

Last year Riverheads beat ER by 21. They both brought back just about everyone. Heard last year and this year how Riverheads is better, which they may be. This year ER beats them by 28. So either Riverheads wasnt as good as last year, ER got better at an alarming rate, or the coaching at ER is better.

The point being, that to discount Chilhowie because they got beat by 42 last year, when they return the team just like that, doesn't make sense.

ER had a 49 point turnaround, if Chilhowie wins by 7, that is a 49 point turnaround.

So exactly what is

So exactly what is the difference?
I get what your saying with that comparison. Not taking anything away from ER on that night they were the better team but I was at that game and for whatever reason and it doesnt happen often but Riverheads did not play to there capabilities that night. Dont know if it was because they moved game to thur or what but they were flat. Could they come out like that sat? Possibly but highly unlikely. For comparisons sake Central manhandled Riverheads last year they returned everyone and were manhandled by Riverheads this year. What does that prove? Probably nothing. But its still fun to micro analyze Saturdays match-up. Best of luck to both teams. My prediction 35-14 Red team.

Gunz, you were reading my mind with your 49 point turnaround analogy. The same thing happened with Riverheads and Galax between 2015 and 2016, when a 7-6 loss became a 63-21 win. Now am I saying that Chilhowie will accomplish a 42 point turnaround?????? Well as stated a couple of posts before, I am keeping my thoughts to myself but I think I know what will happen.

Riverheads may beat them by more than 42 for all I know, but its wrong to look at past years to base something off of, and to say they couldn't have gotten better.

So for those who think you can, then which is it, Riverheads isn't as good this year or East Rockingham coaches are better than Casto and crew?

One thing about that 2nd game tho. Galax didnt have Spurlin he was a one man wrecking crew. He pretty much single handledly shut down Riverheads. I didnt see a Spurlin on Chilhowie.

One thing about that 2nd game tho. Galax didnt have Spurlin he was a one man wrecking crew. He pretty much single handledly shut down Riverheads. I didnt see a Spurlin on Chilhowie.
Can't remember his name but Riverheads had a hell of a player that 2nd go round

I get what your saying with that comparison. Not taking anything away from ER on that night they were the better team but I was at that game and for whatever reason and it doesnt happen often but Riverheads did not play to there capabilities that night. Dont know if it was because they moved game to thur or what but they were flat. Could they come out like that sat? Possibly but highly unlikely. For comparisons sake Central manhandled Riverheads last year they returned everyone and were manhandled by Riverheads this year. What does that prove? Probably nothing. But its still fun to micro analyze Saturdays match-up. Best of luck to both teams. My prediction 35-14 Red team.

See that "we didn't play to our capabilities" thing holds no weight to me. Every time recently Riverheads has lost that is what I have heard/read. Maybe that is true. Yet it's just assumed that when Riverheads beats someone they were just better. Maybe Chilhowie didn't play their best last year, which I watched and unless they were just really bad, they didn't. But its just thought of as Riverheads was just the far superior team.

Of course Riverheads improved as the season went on, but I was there for ER game, they were 28 points better that night. The "we didn't play the way we usually do" thing, well maybe just maybe that had a little something to do with ER. Riverheads had 2 first downs in 1st half

See that "we didn't play to our capabilities" thing holds no weight to me. Every time recently Riverheads has lost that is what I have heard/read. Maybe that is true. Yet it's just assumed that when Riverheads beats someone they were just better. Maybe Chilhowie didn't play their best last year, which I watched and unless they were just really bad, they didn't. But its just thought of as Riverheads was just the far superior team.

Of course Riverheads improved as the season went on, but I was there for ER game, they were 28 points better that night. The "we didn't play the way we usually do" thing, well maybe just maybe that had a little something to do with ER. Riverheads had 2 first downs in 1st half
I disagree Riverheads beat Essex last year and Essex was clearly the better team. If I think a team is better I will admit theyre better win or lose. 2006 WC was overwhelmingly better but lost to Riverheads. 2008 or 09 we were better than Altavista but lost on a couple fumbles. 2006 we were a lot better than JI Burton but nearly lost because of 3 or 4 fumbles. Riverheads is clearly the favorite Sat but will they win? That remains to be seen.

The last time I checked Virginia Tech lost to ODU in football and UVA lost to UMBC in basketball. Every team has a bad game once in awhile. Maybe Chilhowie had their worst game last year. We will find out Saturday.

@Gunz41 I am not defending any statement made before but I have a question. Have you been to seen RH since the ER game, if so when?

As for all the d!(k measuring, if any of you believe half the crap you talk then I have to question your analysis of HS football. There are four examples in these previous posts of teams improving without adding any significant number of players. About 2 hours after that first whistle we will know who had what it takes to hoist the trophy this year. If anyone knows what will happen in this game then I would like to see if they can send me the lotto numbers for this weekend.

I rewatched the semis from Chilhowie last year and the Championship. Plays that worked against Galax just didn’t work in Salem. There were a few things I noticed that could swing to the Warriors if corrected. Do I think it makes up 42 points, no.

The film from this year and a few eyewitness accounts tell me there are a few other things that could favor Riverheads.

I do believe it will be a competitive game and one that should entertain those brave enough to sit in the cold. In the end with no common opponents and little film against similar opponents, I don’t think anyone can make an assertion that they know what is going to occur (that’s with all due respect to our revered poster longtimerhsfan).

@MT FAN 91, Stokes was a standout player on D. He had several big catches from the TE spot as well though. That team was the best I have witnessed from Riverheads and I have seen a bunch.

To add some fuel to @Gunz41, Stokes was nursing an injury when Draft beat them in OT. He did end up playing sparingly in the second half. Did that impact the game, probably not but I like to pluck feathers every once and awhile too, lol.

@MT FAN 91, Stokes was a standout player on D. He had several big catches from the TE spot as well though. That team was the best I have witnessed from Riverheads and I have seen a bunch.

To add some fuel to @Gunz41, Stokes was nursing an injury when Draft beat them in OT. He did end up playing sparingly in the second half. Did that impact the game, probably not but I like to pluck feathers every once and awhile too, lol.
If I remember right he caught a pass down the middle a couple of plays into the game and took it all the way. He was definitely a game changer on both sides of the ball that game.

Chilhowie, Galax, East Rock, it don’t matter who trots out Saturday.

Riverheads by 28

Kinda with Gunz on this one really don’t think last years game has affect on this one if Riverheads comes into this game thinking they can’t be beat , all they got to do is show up they will lose. That’s how I think they approached the east rock game this year hence the 49 point turnaround

The last time I checked Virginia Tech lost to ODU in football and UVA lost to UMBC in basketball. Every team has a bad game once in awhile. Maybe Chilhowie had their worst game last year. We will find out Saturday.
I'll be honest. Last year's game looked like the Warriors weren't prepared. I know the two teams hadn't played but didn't they do any scouting? Were they not able to get film? There's no secret to what Riverheads does. I expect the Warriors to be fully prepared this year, and it will be a much better game.

Uh oh, you put those two in the same thought process, how dare you. Lol, I have stated before that through football I met and still talk to Trevor. He is good people although a little biased in his views as we all are.

I will say that my reference to last year was for context. As stated this is a completely different year with small variables that we may not see until the head banging begins. Both have proven by one putting up 650 and the other 651 points, that they can score. Giving up 93 by Chilhowie is markedly better than last season with 200+. The Red team gave up 140 this year compared to 136 last year. The question becomes, who blinks? Which team imposes their will on the other? How will a team handle a swing in momentum? Can they gather themselves and right the ship?

Either way there are young men that won’t get the opportunity to play after this game. Win or Lose I celebrate all of them for letting us fence row coaches enjoy one more season. Good luck and safe travels to all those making the trip to Salem. Gonna be an electric atmosphere for sure.

The 2015 RH /Galax game vs 2016 was Ga
In 2015 Galax was alot stronger and had Spurlin who dominated the game Galax lost alot of talent including Spurlin, and Riverheads returned most everyone and they was alot stronger and had a stud at LB in 2016 that did not stand out in 2015 at all. Both teams where two completely different teams.
With both Riverheads and CH returning most everyone and if both improving equally we shall see.
After watching last year's game between them again last night and CH team this year with us again. Here is a couple of things that stand out.
1. Riverheads was clearly the better team. CH was better that what the score reflected but RH got out on them and took them out of their game plan
2. CH offense is alot more diverse .,their offense was very vanilla against RH last year. This year is alot more diverse, they are using alot of plays like RH as to where they try to out number you to a spot. The play that hurt us the most was their QB sweep. Where they pull a lineman and lead with wing and backs in front of the QB.

Last edited:
Wilson through and through.

Trust me I get tired of Riverheads winning but I damn sure respect them and their process of it.

As I was younger on here I just hated them, but as the years pass I just gain more and more respect for them.

I can’t ask for respect for all the races we win every year and then hate someone in another sport for the same thing lol

As I said an I’ll stand by it. Riverheads by 28.

Wilson through and through.

Trust me I get tired of Riverheads winning but I damn sure respect them and their process of it.

As I was younger on here I just hated them, but as the years pass I just gain more and more respect for them.

I can’t ask for respect for all the races we win every year and then hate someone in another sport for the same thing lol

As I said an I’ll stand by it. Riverheads by 28.
Thank you Trevor !

Reactions: Trevor_Cash
@Gunz41 I am not defending any statement made before but I have a question. Have you been to seen RH since the ER game, if so when?

As for all the d!(k measuring, if any of you believe half the crap you talk then I have to question your analysis of HS football. There are four examples in these previous posts of teams improving without adding any significant number of players. About 2 hours after that first whistle we will know who had what it takes to hoist the trophy this year. If anyone knows what will happen in this game then I would like to see if they can send me the lotto numbers for this weekend.

I rewatched the semis from Chilhowie last year and the Championship. Plays that worked against Galax just didn’t work in Salem. There were a few things I noticed that could swing to the Warriors if corrected. Do I think it makes up 42 points, no.

The film from this year and a few eyewitness accounts tell me there are a few other things that could favor Riverheads.

I do believe it will be a competitive game and one that should entertain those brave enough to sit in the cold. In the end with no common opponents and little film against similar opponents, I don’t think anyone can make an assertion that they know what is going to occur (that’s with all due respect to our revered poster longtimerhsfan).

Yes, but with my mind I cant remember who, or maybe thinking of a different year.

But that doesn't matter. Nowhere in my statement did I say they didn't improve. I never even said they wouldn't beat East Rock if they played again. What I said is they were beat by ER by 28 that night, not just in score. Let's just assume for a second that they would win a rematch. That kind of goes to my point. To just assume that since both these teams have almost all their players back that Chilhowie couldn't have gotten that much better is being completely near sighted imo.

As for the 2016 game, of course I will have a different opinion on the better team than you Riverheads fans. But to the point, Mr. Stokes may have very well made a difference. Maybe Riverheads wins 9 out of 10 that year. Maybe not. My point is it cant always be "we didn't play the way we usually do" That is completely true, but that usually has something to do with the competition.

My view is 99.9% unlikely to change on this topic. Even if Riverheads wins by 70, I still don't think that has much to do with last year, and it certainly doesn't mean that Chilhowie didn't get better and stronger and faster.

I think someone used the example of the opposite being true with Central this year. I thought I heard they lost some major player from last year (QB maybe)???

After the East Rockingham game I think Riverheads has greatly improved and shown they are better than last year, if just by a bit. But what I want to know is what do you guys who don't "buy" Chilhowie say if the game is closer this year? Since they haven't proven to be better in your eyes to this point, if the game is closer does that mean Riverheads isnt as good? Or does it mean that RH didn't play as well, or that who'd a thunk it, Chilhowie got better?

I would bet about all the money I have that Chilhowie is better than last year. I know I am in the minority in thinking we are about the same but that is still pretty dang good. I have stated that I think it’s closer and maybe they should be favored being undefeated and point differential being what it is. It should be a good game with a plot twist or two as every game has.

As for 2016, I will never agree that Draft was a better team. But I will concede for one night in November they were sure enough better and that’s the way it reads in the record books.

maybe ole xcross is on rhs scout team, and that Is why he was in Saltville on sat and not at the Essex game, and jer said if you want the rabbit hat come get it, he said with that hat u could be elmer fudd, also I think xcross and trevor could be related some how, GO BIG RED

Oh I would not go that far. I just like to make smart bets lol
This Chil team is a lot better than last year ! The Red Team will need to play like the machine they can be . Watched them down there and will tell you those kids are a lot bigger and stronger than before . Tried to remember last years team and did not see a lot of difference in the style of play . Will they bring changes on Sat. ? Should be a good contest .
Got a Red hat i will give you if Jer will give me his . lol

X Cross, who do you think you are fooling? There is no way you were not at Riverheads Saturday watching the Big Red take down Essex. The ONLY reason you would have been at the Chilhowie game instead would be if you are the official Riverheads scout, in which case you would be giving away too big a clue to your identity.

Reading your posts can be fun, but this time you stretched our gullibility a little too far.

X Cross, who do you think you are fooling? There is no way you were not at Riverheads Saturday watching the Big Red take down Essex. The ONLY reason you would have been at the Chilhowie game instead would be if you are the official Riverheads scout, in which case you would be giving away too big a clue to your identity.

Reading your posts can be fun, but this time you stretched our gullibility a little too far.
I had to pick up some parts for my tractor in Christiansburg , so thought I would see how Saltville would taste . Must say its not Greenville ! No place to sit . Had a hard time seeing the game but met some not so Riverheads fans ! Had to be kinda sheepish when talking to those guys .lol . I kinda figured we could handle Essex anyway . Now I have the scoop on the Warriors so I can sleep at night .lol Should be a close contest , really ! Go Big Red !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Chil team is a lot better than last year ! The Red Team will need to play like the machine they can be . Watched them down there and will tell you those kids are a lot bigger and stronger than before . Tried to remember last years team and did not see a lot of difference in the style of play . Will they bring changes on Sat. ? Should be a good contest .
Got a Red hat i will give you if Jer will give me his . lol
Yesterday they were just
I had to pick up some parts for my tractor in Christiansburg , so thought I would see how Saltville would taste . Must say its not Greenville ! No place to sit . Had a hard time seeing the game but met some not so Riverheads fans ! Had to be kinda sheepish when talking to those guys .lol . I kinda figured we could handle Essex anyway . Now I have the scoop on the Warriors so I can sleep at night .lol Should be a close contest , really ! Go Big Red !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday Chilhowie was only average according to you so how will it be close if that's the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT