ADVERTISEMENT

Chilhowie vs Patrick Henry (GS)

Chilwar25

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 20, 2010
Patrick Henry comes to Chilhowie Friday. Both teams are 6-2. Both teams are about even
In the VHSL rating system. PH has won the last two yrs and have another good squad of
Players. Chilhowie is still rebuilding, suffering through two yrs of 1-9 & 2-8. Chilhowie has
A mix of talented sr's and talented youth.

Both squads suffered injuries in their last games, and both to their good running backs.
And both injuries sounded like leg injuries that were serious, which will probably keep both
Players front participating in Friday's game. I have no idea about either players status, but
Wish them the best.

I have not seen PH play, but seen film, and they look solid, especially on Offense. Chilhowie,
I have seen them play, and they are improved from the last 2 years. Chilhowie has probably
Played the toughest schedule. Chilhowie can score points, and their offense is pretty good.
Their Defense can be or is suspect at times, but the D can play when they get pumped, but
That probably goes for PH too.

Both have good quality Coaching. Coach Palmer has turned around a dismal program at PH,
Into a very competitive and respectable program. Chilhowie staff of Coaches Robinson, Joey
Russell, Larry Russell, and Defensive Coach Testerman and several others, are to be
commended on turning around the program at Chilhowie.

Both teams future looks bright, but what about Friday night. We'll, this has to be a toss up,
With the teams that plays the most error free game will come out on top. Any predictions???

Chilwar I really have enjoyed reading your posts. You are to be commended for thoughtful classy posts. I think I agree about a toss up. Chilhowie seems to score against everyone but does give up some points while PH has been solid on both sides of the ball. It seems as PH has lost some momentum and this game is interesting.
I have heard the Clark kid tore an ACL while Humphrey while leg was not broke it has been very quiet about the extent of his injury. I think Chilhowie is a program getting back to the normal expectations and I would like to hope PH will remain competitive in the years to come.

After seeing both of these teams close up I was more impressed by Chilhowie. They just seem to be the more complete team. That's not to say PH isn't a solid team just Chilhowie has more options. And having played for Joey Russell I know what his offense is capable of. If betting I'm going with Chilhowie in this one something like 35-28. But I wouldn't be shocked to see either team win. Best of luck to both squads and a speedy recovery to both young men.

Reactions: Chilwar25
Well two good replys, from 2 good folks that know football. Not bad. It appears these
2 teams might be playing all night Friday. You know, in a game were 2 teams appear
Evenly matched, it will be the little things that may make the difference. Little things
That turn huge, like special teams, field position, fumbles, penalties, missed tackles,
Just to name a few.
One thing for sure, you can't give a team a short field to start their drives; the kicking
Game may just decided this thing. Turnovers, fumbles, interceptions , penalties,
And sacks. Guys , I could go on and on, but those things are goings to decide this one.
Either way, you bet that both Coaching squads are preparing for a war, and that is
What we are going to see. I hope both play to win, and play like they are playing to win,
Not to lose.....Best of luck to both squads, and we pray that no injuries occured for either
Team. Good luck Coaches; pressure, what pressure? Heck, those young men can deal
With it. It's me that having butterfilies.

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
After seeing both of these teams close up I was more impressed by Chilhowie. They just seem to be the more complete team. That's not to say PH isn't a solid team just Chilhowie has more options. And having played for Joey Russell I know what his offense is capable of. If betting I'm going with Chilhowie in this one something like 35-28. But I wouldn't be shocked to see either team win. Best of luck to both squads and a speedy recovery to both young men.

Of course you would say that because anyone that has coached the Great Master B, that makes them the better team.

Chilwar, wish you your team nothing but best. It's good to see you guys rebound from some difficult seasons and I know first hand how much those lean years help you appreciate the successful years.

But you were at the GW game last week? I think both Chilhowie and PH lost focus after their backs got hurt. Just because you have long hair and beard doesn't make me a child.

Sure was at the game last week and yep that's me. And no my choice of hair and facial hair doesn't make you a child. But the fact that you try and make every post about me does. What I posted here was nothing negative and you still found issue. And yeah Dakota getting hurt did take its tole on PH. But them not having him didn't affect the outcome GW was gonna roll either way. Him getting hurt would deflate any team he played for. But it also proved they have 1 real threat. Chilhowie has several a QB with a cannon 2 very capable WRS and 2 good backs.

What have I said about either team that's not true? Was he breaking big runs on us? Nope he was in check. Did they have anything for us after he went out? Nope sure didn't that was proven by the 42-0 score.

What about Chilhowie do they not have a good QB? Do they not have 2 good WRS and do they not have 2 good back? I'll tell you like I tell everyone else on here when you can come at me with facts maybe you'll be taken seriously. Until then you are nothing more than a butt hurt baby who doesn't like harsh words. I'll tell you what since you're so sensitive I'll have you some bubble wrap, a blanket and some hot cocoa at the game Friday night. Oh and a heaping pile of Preparation H.

What have I said about either team that's not true? Was he breaking big runs on us? Nope he was in check. Did they have anything for us after he went out? Nope sure didn't that was proven by the 42-0 score.

What about Chilhowie do they not have a good QB? Do they not have 2 good WRS and do they not have 2 good back? I'll tell you like I tell everyone else on here when you can come at me with facts maybe you'll be taken seriously. Until then you are nothing more than a butt hurt baby who doesn't like harsh words. I'll tell you what since you're so sensitive I'll have you some bubble wrap, a blanket and some hot cocoa at the game Friday night. Oh and a heaping pile of Preparation H.

Then are you saying that Chilhowie was able to slow GW down at all? Not to say that PH did but my goodness. I realize that one of the scores GW had on Chilhowie was a pick 6 but one of the scores on PH was a fumble recovery for a TD. I assure you tough guy, I am not sensitive to a good conversation. Why aren't you any better at playing pick em, if you are so football smart? Just throwing that out there for sensitivity's sake. Does that make you pucker a little bit? I also never said that Chilhowie would lose to PH either now did I?

Last edited:
Nope Chilhowie nor PH could do anything with GW. But from what I've seen with my own eyes Chilhowie looks like the better team and I'm not the only one with that opinion. They are a more complete group that has multiple weapons. PH has 1 and only 1 real threat. And I do pretty ok with the pickem I won the playoff bracket last year. And I'm going be in them again this year. But you see the pickem is based around 90% of the 1A teams. My only focus is on that Monster in Maroon and I've done an extremely good job of predicting how the GW games would go. I've only missed 1 and for someone who claims to not be sensitive you get pretty touchy at my posts. Here I'll tell you what this is an open invitation to come stand with us this Friday. Then tell me I'm the only one who thinks this way. Or I can take you to the other end and show you some others who think this way or in the stands. Like I said GW fans are a different type believe it or not. Half are like me and don't care we will tell you GW is better. And the other half is like you who feels guilty for supporting a winning team. So go ahead apologize for the guilt you feel for GW winning so much.

Chilwar I'm sorry that myself and this child hijacked your post. I'm done bickering overt facts. Best of luck to the Warriors and Rebbles this Friday night. My opinion stands at Chil-35 PH-28. Let's pray for no injuries

Chilwar, wish you your team nothing but best. It's good to see you guys rebound from some difficult seasons and I know first hand how much those lean years help you appreciate the successful years.

Thanks BCBACKER, Thanks for the kind thoughts. I know you have walked in my shoes before,
And it is not easy to swallow. But our plans, are not necessarily God's plan. We live not
According to our time, but to the time table of our Father.

Things show a significant improvement in the Warriors, and all the improvements comes from
Our faith, and some very hard working young men and their Coaches.
Chilhowie has PH this week, a team you folks beat in the playoffs. They are tough, but maybe
We got a chance.

Chilhowie survived a late Patrick Henry rally to win 21-14 Friday night at Chilhowie. PH and
Chilhowie were playing without 2 of their respective teams running backs; Humphrey for
PH and Clark for Chilhowie. Clark is out for the season for Chilhowie, while Humprery's
Status is still unknown. Neither player dressed for the game.

Humphrey absence was well noted for PH. The bullish Sr RB is the heart of the PH offense,
Although, PH's other backs did an admiral job in running the ball, Humprery absence obviously
Effective PH'S ability to establish a consistent running game. Both Wright and Brown had a
Good game, as did their QB, Seymour.

Clark also was missed by Chilhowie. Kestner did a good job moving from WR to RB, and Sanchez
Did an excellent job at RB for Chilhowie. QB Delp was on target most of the night, despite missing
Clark as one of his receivers and runners.

Chilhowie controlled the ball and stats for the game. Chilhowie had drive after drive stall out
In the red zone, to go with about 2 turnovers that help setup PH'S Scores. The stall drives were
A combination of PH'S defense, and poor execution by Chilhowie's offense in the red zone.

I would think both Coaching staff's were not pleased with their respective teams performance,
But the main thing was that neither team seem to suffer additional injuries, other than the
Usual hard knocks. If the Humprery kid can not go come playoff time, PH will miss his tremendously.
Additional adjustments will probably have to be made by PH to go deep into the playoffs.

As far as Chilhowie, well a win is a win. Chilhowie seemed to have more depth than PH, and
Adjusted to Clarks absence pretty well. Their problem was poor execution in the red zone, thus
Allowing PH to stay in the game. If Chilhowie had excuted in the red zone, Chilhowie may have
Scored several more times. Did Humphreys absence hurt PH and Help Chilhowie, sure.
PH is no doubt a different team without a healthy RB in Humprery.

It is sad to see 2 quality Ball players go down with injuries their senior year; but that, unfortunately
is football's down side. Did Clark's absence hurt Chilhowie, sure it did. A team never loses a quality
senior Football via injury, and not be hurt by the lose of the player. The impact was significant for
Both teams. Both teams have one more regular season game to play before the VHSL playoffs
Begin. I hope both squads put this game behind them, and work on getting their teams ready
For the post season, after next Friday night. PH'S last game of the regular season is with NW,
While Chilhowie travels to Holston.

I did not mention how the loss of both players effected both teams defensively. Both were
Missed by both teams, but their replacements played well. Best of luck to both teams the
Remainder of the season, and I hope for no more injuries to either squad.

I heard Ph had 6 stating positions out and during the game they lost 2 more players one which was a two way starter. Did you see any sign of that?

No, but PH did look low in numbers dressed out. If that is true, they were really short
Handed. But 6 out seems like an awful lot to me. They did have a lot of false starts
Pentalies maybe that accounts for that issue. Maybe that is why Chilhowie dominated
Them, but just went flat in the red zone. Six starters out, then losing 2 more, that is 8
Out of 11. WOW, never heard of that many being injured and out in one game.
GW must have done a number on them, the week before.

I hope those kids injuries were not season ending type things, if so PH is in trouble, not
For the playoffs, but for the NW game. We will not know until Friday night. Best of luck
To the Rebels, and heel up guys, there is more football to play.

Thanks zonecoach for your question; it is certainly worthly of an answer, but I could not
Answer it honestly.

Two were lost at GW. Three more went down in the CHS game, and had one more unavailable. PH had three sophomores and two juniors on the o line.

That was the word the center,tackle, rb and slot on offense and the olb,cb on defense. Then both og and mlb and dt during the game. That is amazing if so.

Let me see if I got this right as to who went out, or was out with injuries:

1. Center
2. Tackle
3. RB
4. Slot
5. Olb
6. CB
7. OG
8. OG
9.Mlb
10.DT

I was at the game, and if that many kids were injured and did not play, or after the injury,
They did not go back in and play, that lacks one player or position of being 1/2 of a Football
team, 10 positions out of 22 on a team. You know, we may be looking at some kind of unfortunate
Record for injuries in a game or combination of injuries before, and during a football game.
I did see some official time outs when a player for either squad could not get up. I did not see
Any player not able to walk off the field with some assistance. I did not see any professional
EMT'S summons to the field for either squad.

I say this out of concern for those kids that was hurt prior to, or during the game. If, by chance,
Any or all the kids suffered concussion like symptoms, the season just may have ended Friday
Night for a lot of kids on that team. The team, as it was known prior to a couple of weeks ago,
May no longer exist, in terms of player/position. That is truly a sad and scary thought to have
About any group of kids on any type of team.

For the sake of the general well being of the healthy kids that remain on the squad, a serious
Discussion should be given to even playing any more games this year. Placing freshmen on the
Field to just fill a position of an injured upper classman, may not be a very wise decision. I am not
Sure that I have ever heard of such a injury plagued team.

May God Bless them all, and I wish them all a full recovery. Playing football again should be
An after thought indeed, if all these injuries took place over the time span of seven days.
God Speed, My Friends!

No concussions. I think that there are enough players to continue. I don't think anyone ever questioned Chilhowie when they were playing all of those young kids.

I checked once this conversation continued and it was the starting ot and center that were out for the game, the og and and the other og went down during the game. Once og was also the starting dt and humphrey is a 2 way starter. That is 7 and the mlb went out in the 1st and a db and slot was out of town and will return this week. That is is 10. I thought maybe through the internet chatter excuses were being made but this came from a legitimate source. No excuses were being made about the games outcome just that the Rebels did that many kids out.

No one said if they played it would have been different outcome just that is is a mash unit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT