ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 Imbalance

One of our folk have already done his own version of what this could look like

Last edited:
4 classifications is a done deal...old heads like it because it's "close to the way things used to be and isn't watered down playoffs"...problem is just about every new school being built fits into the 1200-1600 school size... notwithstanding where population centers are in that Region B corridor so that region will constantly present size issue in comparison to others...imo 5 classes allows for Div I to allow competitive competition for small schools while allowing for future growth in larger divisions without overloading natural regions or creating travel for unnatural regions.

I did a hypothetical four-class setup on the Class 4 board playing all 319 schools into regions. All four classes with four regions with 20 schools apiece except for my Class 4 Region 3 which has 19 schools. Districts could be created out of those schools within those regions and playoffs would be set by your district finish making district championships relevant again.

I like this because you have to be better than 78 or 79 other schools to win a state title instead of 63 or 64. To me that means more. In recent times, you've been grouped with numbers in the low 50s.

There is no doubt that Ken Tilley and his lack of leadership did damage to the structure of the VHSL over a decade and a half and we are still struggling to get back to a system which is somewhat streamlined.

Get on the bus and go play anyone anywhere. There are schools in other states who; when aligned every two years, may find themselves with a district opponent well over an hour away while a similar sized school is closer. Those are the ropes. Scheduling for other sports can be simplified with longer road trips for schools taking place on Fridays while shorter road trips would take place during the week. It's not a perfect science, but things can be done.

I'm partial to the district I played in; the Battlefield. And I hated it when Louisa County, Orange County left...followed by Culpeper County who are now returning (probably only for a cup of coffee because they can't decide what they want to do). However, as more and more schools are built (Prince William is already planning for a their next high school after Gainesville and Stafford is going to put their sixth high school in the Hartwood area), things will have to evolve. Not every school is two miles away like in portions of Loudoun. That's just how it is.

Having worked in college athletics, I've worked for two schools in a Power 5 conference. I can say that in that conference, a lot of leeway is given to the coaches as to how they like things ran. The conference is fairly weak from a leadership standpoint and does not step in and cement rules as to how things are going to be done. The VHSL needs leadership.

And just think, two years isn't so bad if you're grouped with schools you may not be familiar with but are still geographically "close". Go back to realigning after every two years instead of this weird four-year deal where adjustments can be made after two. Sounds like the VHSL has created extra work for themselves.

Reactions: jdjack and EPJr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT