ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

A

anon_y7v0wv40itxop

Who are your top 5 Head Coaches and top 5 assistant coaches (if you can name that many)? There does not have to be a correlation of wins and losses or championships. Some coaches may be great in tough situations.

Reactions: Panther80ram
Head Coaches
1. Magenbauer
2. Billy Mills
3. Jeff Woody
3. Doug Smith - Appomattox
5. Brad Bradley/John Meeks

Assistants
1. Burt Torrence
2. JaMar Lovelace(Will be head coaching this year, but he was a great assistant)

Not very Familliar with assistant coaches

Head Coaches
1. Magenbauer
2. Billy Mills
3. Jeff Woody

Assistants
1. Burt Torrence
2. JaMar Lovelace(Will be head coaching this year, but he was a great assistant)

Good post at least you gave other coaches credit also

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Magenbauer at Salem and the coach's from Dinwiddie and Lake Taylor. They are "always" in the thick of things come late in the year. I think Doug Smith at Appomattox at the 2A level and Casto from Riverheads in 1A are also very good coaches.

I think Coach Mags has a wonderful coaching staff. I don't think they get enough credit. Mags is very good and each asst really buys in and does a great job as well.

Mills
Sawyer
Smith
Bradley
Woody
Highfill

I was just getting ready to say I'm surprised that I haven't seen Casto's name yet. I also thought people may mention Clifford at Glenvar, Favero at Magna Vista, or Dixon at Galax.

Head Coaches
1. Magenbauer
2. Billy Mills
3. Jeff Woody

Assistants
1. Burt Torrence

Meeks LOL

So many coaches do such a wonderful job, I hate to only name a few. Just like I don't know much about other areas of the state, I can't say I'm familiar with the coaching staffs across all levels.

I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Wells and Johnston at Blacksburg, Coach Turner, (now at Carroll) Coach Edwards of FC, all of the Salem coaches, a coach at Charlottesville, and several of the coaches at PH. (Johnson) They are all good guys, despite the difficulty of their jobs. They sacrifice so much time away from their families, don't get compensated well for all of the time they put in, and deal with a lot of criticism. Thank you to all of the coaching staffs who do so much for the young people.

1. Mags
2. Mills
3. Smith
4. Casto
5. Bradley, Dixon, Johnson

Or we could do
1. Herman Boone
2. Gary Gaines
3. Bill Yost
4. Tony D'Amato
5. Harold Jones

Sherando Warriors head coach-
Bill Hall deserves appreciation for his outstanding effort and determination , and dedication . Has never had a losing season since 2005 when he started.
118-37 overall , with two state final appearances .
Sherando people value his dedication and determination to get to the championship every year. Lives high school football all year. Only man I know who might work harder than me.

tenor.gif

Louisa since '05:
99-48

Danville since '05:
102-45

Obviously, Bill Hall is a good coach with a 118-37 record over that same time frame.
Why is GW always brought into it? GW played Triple A ball until 2012 (WAAAAAAAY tougher schedules than Sherando has ever played), that’s not even a comparison. Had 4 coaches over that stretch. Stop being petty Mike.

Louisa since '05:
99-48

Danville since '05:
102-45

Obviously, Bill Hall is a good coach with a 118-37 record over that same time frame.
Records don't always paint the picture (you know that), and it's not why the post is funny. Good coaches make good in-game adjustments, stick to what's working during a game, don't be down 35-0 at halftime to Salem in a state semi game with kids as talented as Sherando's and struggling to score on Salem's backups, and don't get destroyed in state title games. If I had to face Courtland, Monacan, Dinwiddie, and Lafayette back to back, Hall wouldn't be close to my top 5 coaches to count on.

You liked Hoos post, signaling agreement.
2 D5 playoff wins from 05-12, looks like GW couldn't hold those jock straps either.

Records don't always paint the picture (you know that), and it's not why the post is funny. Good coaches make good in-game adjustments, stick to what's working during a game, don't be down 35-0 at halftime to Salem in a state semi game with kids as talented as Sherando's and struggling to score on Salem's backups, and don't get destroyed in state title games.
Word. Then throw out records like that’s supposed to shut us up. If high school football makes you that upset then you need a new hobby.

Records don't always paint the picture (you know that), and it's not why the post is funny. Good coaches make good in-game adjustments, stick to what's working during a game, don't be down 35-0 at halftime to Salem in a state semi game with kids as talented as Sherando's and struggling to score on Salem's backups, and don't get destroyed in state title games. If I had to face Courtland, Monacan, Dinwiddie, and Lafayette back to back, Hall wouldn't be close to my top 5 coaches to count on.
I have no problem with your opinion, you're entitled to it, but mocking someone for expressing their opinion isn't acceptable. You don't like Ham we get it, move on.

I have no problem with your opinion, you're entitled to it, but mocking someone for expressing their opinion isn't acceptable. You don't like Ham we get it, move on.
Wait, what? I haven't been mocked and insulted for my opinions all these years? It sure seemed acceptable before.

Throwing a guy's name out and his personal information on this board in the past was completely unacceptable on your part. I simply put out the records over the years and you didn't like the stats.

Throwing a guy's name out and his personal information on this board in the past was completely unacceptable on your part. I simply put out the records over the years and you didn't like the stats.
And all I did was reply to your stats with facts that paint a better picture. Hey, at least I've never spread hilarious LIES about anyone being banned from practices. :rolleyes: That must be acceptable. I had to ask Coach Fischer myself about that one, since if it were true he would know, but he had no clue where that came from. And all I posted was the last name, not the first name or any other personal info. My last name has been posted on here by others.

GW has not had a rock bottom season since 1963 while the City of Danville has declined in population and industry. Alger Pugh is in the VHSL hall of Fame.

Nick Anderson is the most organized coach you will ever find. No one on this board has any idea what he has done to build the program. Danville is more than lucky to have him.

And to think we have been playing so well together lately. Football, football, gentlemen its much more entertaining.

I agree on Hall. His program speaks for itself. Props also to Coach Fisher. The man coached his tail off when most would felt sorry for themselves.

Lots of good coaches in Class 4 and Virginia as a whole. Coaching is fast becoming a lost art. The dedication it requires does not interest the new generation. School systems are going to need to be creative to fill positions.

Is Joe still @ Goochland? That dude is a legit coach through & through, all while getting results.

Andy Linn - Lafayette (81-11 record as the big whistle)

Entering into his 8th year as HC. 15+ years as an Assistant...all at LHS.
2011: 9-3
2012: 9-2
2013: 12-1 (State Quarters)
2014: 14-1 (State Champ Runner Up)
2015: 12-1 (State Quarters)
2016: 13-1 (State Semis)
2017: 12-2 (State Semis)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT