ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Gate City. Virginia Tech, major mistake in my opinion

lucustookis

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 7, 2007
Bull Island, VA
I had Lee winning by 8-11 points. I was wrong. McClung surprised me even more than the highlights all year. This kid is going to be not just a starter, but a star at the next level, and I think VT is making a mistake. What surprised me more than anything. The ability to elevate in the lane even over guys taller than him, and he had a lay up in the 4th right at the chest of Vaughan who is 6'7 and McClungs chest was at Vaughan's head. That's insane jumping ability, not to mention the block on Vaughan and the dunk on Vaughan. Great show by Gate City. The best team in the state of Virginia won the championship. GC deserved it, and McClung was fun to watch. Good job by the Leemen. It's tough to replace what was lost from last year, but the Leemen will be back. As for Virginia Tech, what do I know, maybe they aren't. I had Lee by 10 points tonight, lol.

Last edited:
I had Lee winning by 8-11 points. I was wrong. McClung surprised me even more than the highlights all year. This kid is going to be not just a starter, but a star at the next level, and I think VT is making a mistake. What surprised me more than anything. The ability to elevate in the lane even over guys taller than him, and he had a lay up in the 4th right at the chest of Vaughan who is 6'7 and McClungs chest was at Vaughan's head. That's insane jumping ability, not to mention the block on Vaughan and the dunk on Vaughan. Great show by Gate City. The best team in the state of Virginia won the championship. GC deserved it, and McClung was fun to watch. Good job by the Leemen. It's tough to replace what was lost from last year, but the Leemen will be back. As for Virginia Tech, what do I know, maybe they aren't. I had Lee by 10 points tonight, lol.

A star like a top player? Or a "star" as he already is on YouTube, etc.

Sure looked like s great ballplayer, but jumping to that level won't be easy

How could any team in the state let this kid go to Georgetown.....major gaffe by Virginia Tech and UVa to not bring this kid to the ACC.... what a way to end your high school career with a state title and an over the back dunk the final time you touch the ball!!!

Last edited:

The major difference between this year's game and last year's game was Darius George - plus Gate City was a year older and definitely hungry to take it all this year.

Reactions: eh31
Kyle Guy was Indiana state player of year I believe. He is not lighting it up so speak but he is playing well. My question is will McClung be Va. state player of year. And if not who is going to be.

a lot of coach's see how he plays on D and other stuff and just walks away

He'll play D in college and I believe he is smart enough to realize that. When he had to he buckled down and played good D. He just didn't really have to much this year and could use all his energy on offense and stay out of foul trouble.

Have you ever heard of Jordan Miller from Loudoun Co? Either him or Mr. Brown from the Handley Judges would be my pick. Yes, I have seen both of these young men play.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
They weren’t the best team in VA...Please clarify. They were the best team in 2a no doubt.

I've watched a lot of Miller, he's a fantastic kid and a great player. But there are things McClung can do better and vice versa. Those players aren't automatically better bc they are from bigger schools. Miller is going to George Mason right? He's a dynamite player, but he loves that left hand lol. I think McClung does a better job going either way and finishing with either hand, but Miller has a great shot and a knack of plays around the rim. He's an inch or two taller, I think McClung is the better leaper and shooter but Miller is better rebounder and is long.

I have no doubt that Isaiah Todd will be great on the next level. One thing he needs to work on is his shot selection and decision making.

I totally agree that that Virginia Tech (or UVA but especially VT) should have gone after McClung.

VT's coach Buzz Williams (who I think has done an outstanding job btw) really dropped the ball (ha) on this one - or he should give his staff a good chewing out for missing this great VA player (and SW VA superb basketball product on top of that!!!).

The Richmond paper recently called McClung "somewhat of a folk hero to SW Virginia."

Williams, who wisely has worked hard to increase the energy and add excitement to his VT program to compete with the other "better" ACC programs, could have really benefited from having the talented McClung on his roster in many important ways.

Can someone tell me the best site or share a link to find most extensive career stats for McClung? Ppg, reb, ast? How much did he score each year? Game logs?

I know high school isn’t tracked that well, but maybe this info is out there, since he is so well known now?

Best player at Group 2A, yes and one of the best players in the state this year yeah. One of the best ever no. I saw Bubba Chuck play for 3 years at Bethel (He as 1 or 1A best player in the state, only say one player give Bubba trouble Micheal Evans (Booker T Washington Norfolk just as good and taller). Best of luck for McClung at Georgetown, but the entire league gets good players every year so he will a good player among others).

Kyle Guy was Indiana state player of year I believe. He is not lighting it up so speak but he is playing well. My question is will McClung be Va. state player of year. And if not who is going to be.

For a sophomore playing for a program which is defensive minded, which means they play slow ball because of that great defense (and it is great), they got much fewer possessions. When you take that style of ball into account considered with Guy being only a sophomore, I think he's lighting it up. If he were at Duke, he may be scoring 20 per game this year because he would get lots more touches. That kid can play, and I'm a VT fan.

I think Miller is about 6'5.

When I saw him play, I pegged him at just a hair taller than me, a solid 6'4 maybe touching 6'5.
I didn't see much this postseason, has he developed more of a game with his right? His left moves are so deadly they usually arnt needed at this level but he will have to go both directions at GMU.

@AntGZee and @Baseball215 Keldon Johnson from Oak Hill was selected as the Gatorade State Player of the Year and rightfully so. He's signed to Kentucky and 6th ranked player nationally. Look him up if you haven't seen him play. The kid is amazing!
Kid is from the 434. South Hill!!! His older brother will be McClung’s teammate at Georgetown.

Reactions: VolNation85
I saw Keldon Johnson play against Northside a few years ago at the Salem Civic Center. I think his Soph year. Yes, he's a baller.

Didn't realized Johnson was from South Hill. I was fortunate to see OHA play twice this year. Very good player.....should have signed with Carolina :)

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT