ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Essex!

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Tough battle between two great teams Essex and Sussex today as Essex pulls it out 23-22!

Essex could have pulled away a few times but Sussex left some plays on the field as well.

Congrats to both Essex on the win and to Sussex on a great season and fighting hard today.

Sussex was a top 3 State team all season along with Essex and Riverheads. One of them had to lose today, just like one will be knocked out next week.

Riverheads at Essex (or somewhere within an hour of Tappahannock) next week for the State Championship! Oh my bad, the state semis.

So the showdown is set....except for the place. The Riverheads coaches were in Tappahannock to scout today. A slight advantage there....(trutiger was correct in that call).

I am not ready to make my prediction yet in this one...

Let us find out where the game will be played. To me, it could make a big difference in the outcome.

Either way I hope Coach Jones and the NND's Essex can do it. Should be an old fashioned slobber knocker....

Scouting is what most if not all coaches do. No advantage. I’m pretty sure Essex coaches were at Riverheads last night. It’s was a good physical game today by both. Both teams were a bit drained after this one. Essex kept hurting themselves with fumbles (4 or so). Can’t keep doing that and expect to win all the time. Sussex hurt themselves with a bunch of dropped passes that could of kept drives going or even scored from. Congrats to Sussex on another good season.

Essex coaches weren’t at Riverheads last night ?

I do not know if Essex traveled all the way for a late Friday night game at Riverheads when they had a huge game early Saturday afternoon against a top 3 state team the next day.

Did Sussex scout Riverheads the night before their game v Essex? Maybe but I doubt it.

An excellent and intelligent scouting report is indeed an advantage in my opinion....

It was a good game and congrats to Essex. However, I will repeat what I said, they are and can be their own worst enemy. Way to many mistakes. Essex should have put the game away several times, luckily their defense and some timely dropped passes by Sussex bailed them out. They will need to play much better next week or they will get blown out. Hopefully they will announce the venue sooner rather than later

Reactions: uvacavs1
I do not know if Essex traveled all the way for a late Friday night game at Riverheads when they had a huge game early Saturday afternoon against a top 3 state team the next day.

Did Sussex scout Riverheads the night before their game v Essex? Maybe but I doubt it.

An excellent and intelligent scouting report is indeed an advantage in my opinion....
Yes it is an a advantage if one team did it. But if both coaches did it, it pretty much balances out.

Scouting is nice to be able to do but really is irrelevant when you have Huddle. You have access to every game the past few years with a click of a button.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
Remember also these two teams faced each other in the state quarters last year, so I'm sure they already have a good idea of a game plan.

I disagree, they both have some shortcomings but this should be a very good game.

RedPrideNation, with all due respect as you are a great poster, I have commented like three times that Riverheads will roll a specific team this season. Each time you said oh no, it will be a good game. Our opponent is really good etc. Each time the Red Team won easily by like over 25 points.

However, I do hope that you are correct in this occasion and that Essex can make it a good game and the big W.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
The key to this game in my opinion will be the Essex defensive line against the Riverheads offensive line. Essex can't afford to let Riverheads to go on those long time consuming drives that they are known for. Essex will also need to get Tim Johnson the ball in space. He and Dameron are a perfect thunder and lightning combo. Essex also has weapons in the passing game as well and they'll need guys like Norman with his 6'3 height to make some plays as well. Also Essex needs to have their fans and all of the Northern Neck and surrounding areas come out to support them. In the past, the visiting teams in the state tournament had more fans by a good margin and I know Riverheads travels well. I look for a hard fought ball game by both teams.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Essex Trojan1, congratulations Essex's win today. I hope you come out of the next game with a big win. Best of luck.

RedPrideNation, with all due respect as you are a great poster, I have commented like three times that Riverheads will roll a specific team this season. Each time you said oh no, it will be a good game. Our opponent is really good etc. Each time the Red Team won easily by like over 25 points.

However, I do hope that you are correct in this occasion and that Essex can make it a good game and the big W.
I appreciate the shout out but I honestly try to be very objective in looking at the games. If both teams play to their strengths it is a good close game. Mistakes by either will tip the balance to the other team. I don’t go in thinking that a team will make mistakes so maybe I am being too kind at times but that is not my reasoning.

Congrats to Essex on the win and also to Sussex for backing up a tremendous season last year with this years performance.

Reactions: TIGER...NATION
Essex sustained numerous injuries from yesterday, first I hope all the young men are doing well, they will need all there resources versus Riverheads.

Riverheads offensive line is definitely the key to their success your control line you can win.Coach Casto says “we do what we do”stop it you win.

I have said this for years. While all the other coaches worry about putting there best athletes in the backfield Casto quietly slips his on the line. Not discrediting there running backs by any means but with there line play even my old fat butt could put together 4,5, yards a carry. They gashed W.C. all night with the same 2or 3 plays. Just a well coached disciplined team year in year out. Let's give some credit to the youth league coaches as well. They are preparing the kids to play at the next level.

Essex Trojan1, congratulations Essex's win today. I hope you come out of the next game with a big win. Best of luck.
Thank you sir. Congratulations on your young men winning yesterday as well. I tell ya, for a second I was wondering if Essex would pull it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT