ADVERTISEMENT

Could Appomattox move up?

colonel 72

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 30, 2010
Anyone from Appomattox area. What is enrollment there and do you all see a move to 3A? Just wondering. Appomattox area seems to be doing well in attracting people from Lynchburg area and becoming a bedroom area for Lynchburg. Lynchburg is really growing with LU, BWXT, Arriva, etc.

Anyone from Appomattox area. What is enrollment there and do you all see a move to 3A? Just wondering. Appomattox area seems to be doing well in attracting people from Lynchburg area and becoming a bedroom area for Lynchburg. Lynchburg is really growing with LU, BWXT, Arriva, etc.
My thinking on this is Appomattox County may have a cheaper cost of living with land prices, taxes than Bedford County which has traditionally gotten a lot of population growth from the Lynchburg area. With Appomattox County having only one high school, well you get the picture.

The last ADM count showed Appomattox with about 690 students. The smallest C3 school was just under 740. With the shifting demographics in the state and new schools popping up all over NOVA, I would say a move up for Appomattox, based on enrollment, is unlikely in the near future.

My thinking on this is Appomattox County may have a cheaper cost of living with land prices, taxes than Bedford County which has traditionally gotten a lot of population growth from the Lynchburg area. With Appomattox County having only one high school, well you get the picture.
Lynchburg number of residents is not growing much. Its the metro area that is booming such as Campbell and bedford counties. Lynchburg city taxes are a killer. Personally i dont see alot of growth in Appo but more of a steady maintenance. Soo unless the class numbers change by reducing number of classes i dont see Appo moving up .

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Lynchburg number of residents is not growing much. Its the metro area that is booming such as Campbell and bedford counties. Lynchburg city taxes are a killer. Personally i dont see alot of growth in Appo but more of a steady maintenance. Soo unless the class numbers change by reducing number of classes i dont see Appo moving up .
That was part of my point. Cost of living in Campbell may be higher but not sure. I think Bedford may be higher. Mainly in land and new construction prices. Thinking that Appomattox may see a boom in people settling there instead of Bedfords Forest area in particular. Just thinking out loud.

That was part of my point. Cost of living in Campbell may be higher but not sure. I think Bedford may be higher. Mainly in land and new construction prices. Thinking that Appomattox may see a boom in people settling there instead of Bedfords Forest area in particular. Just thinking out loud.
One might think that way and i would personally too. However, Appo cant draw the yuppie crowd with tons of bars and restaurants and give them a feeling of having great financial success. Its amazing to see the amount of money the people that have to have certain amenities are wasting.

The bigger consideration is the demographics of the state. Northern Virginia has had, and continues to a lesser degree, to have an influx of people. Each school up there is usually C3 and up. (Lot of C6) With each class having around 53 schools it makes it more difficult for a team to move up unless it has significant growth.

Is it the policy of the VHSL to try to maintain a roughly equal number of schools in each of the six classes?

Is it the policy of the VHSL to try to maintain a roughly equal number of schools in each of the six classes?
I'm not sure, 53 is just the average number of schools per class. (318/6) I think they start from the bottom capping C1 at 475 ADM. Then the other 5 are roughly divided equally. I would imagine before appeals the number of schools per class is probably pretty evenly divided.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT