ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Holding

knightsfan96

VaPreps All District
Jan 2, 2003
What is the rule enforcement on Defensive Holding(High School Rule)? I will explain play after I recieve an answer.

Same as any other live ball foul on the defense. Enforce 10 yards from basic spot. repeat the down, or 1st down if the 10 yards takes the ball past the line to gain.

I'll bet I can guess why you ask.

Sure you can. Lol. I was under the impression that defensive holding or illegal contact were 5 yard penalties and automatic first downs. I thought we got a gift from the officials but turns out they made right call. The team we were playing had 2nd and 20. We were flagged for defensive holding. I was mad because I thought we had just given them a first down but they marked off 10 yards and replayed the down at 2nd and 10. Thanks for the clear up.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Oh, In that case I was wrong with my guess.

I get asked about defensive fouls because many people think you roll the down. That would effectively be a loss of down penalty, which is never applicable to the defense.

For example, Team A has the ball first and 10, gains 4 yards but there is a 5-yard facemask call. Seems right that it would be a total of 9 yards gained, but sometimes it's hard to wrap your mind around the fact it's now 1st and 1, instead of 2nd and 1.

BTW, you're citing NFL rules. There is no illegal contact foul in h.s. (or NCAA) and holding is 10 yards for both teams, no automatic 1st, in h.s. and NCAA.

Hey Knightfan,I cannot believe an official would give something away. I got my state pass for the tourney in March.

My favorite "holding" call of all time, was back in 03 or 04 when Gretna played Brookville at Stinger Stadium. The Brookville kick off returner returned a kick for a TD. Gretna was called for holding on the play. Never seen kicking team called for holding on a return.

My fav HR post

Apparently Gretna needed to "hold" a little better. Guessing Brookville declined the penalty? Therefore there was no penalty, jeez HR, another one of your insightful additions to this forum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT