ADVERTISEMENT

Did it end 7-6 Galax?

I agree it was awful, but they got the win. Up the middle up the middle.
Even if the play calling was good, Galax would’ve still struggled against that Essex defense. Northumberland and Lancaster were the only teams really able to put some numbers up on Essex. Everybody else had a hard time.

Congrats to Galax for winning a crazy one though. Both defenses played outstanding. This game showed how crucial it is to have a kicker. Essex is young so they’ll have quite a few key players returning next season with some potential studs moving up from JV. I expect them to be in the mix for another State Championship appearance.

Galax is young this year as well, I think they had 4 seniors starting on both sides of the ball. With that being said Tucker and Ashworth will be hard to replace next year but the oline should be better next year because they will only lose one starter.

Essex’s offense was completely shut down because of a great defensive effort by Galax. But people are bashing Coach Jones and Essex who only allowed Galax to score 3 points offensively. Apparently 1a ball is that awful because two great defensive teams faced each other. I guess people would rather see basketball scores and watch teams with no defense.

Essex’s offense was completely shut down because of a great defensive effort by Galax. But people are bashing Coach Jones and Essex who only allowed Galax to score 3 points offensively. Apparently 1a ball is that awful because two great defensive teams faced each other. I guess people would rather see basketball scores and watch teams with no defense.
Last week when Galax beat Honaker in a high scoring game, I had people say that teams shouldn't be scoring that many points in a state semifinal game and where was the defense. Yesterday's game was a defensive slugfest and people are saying that 1A football is awful. You just can't please everyone. Lol

If they (Essex) don't fire Jones after this embarrassing debacle then they deserve to keep under achieving. This clown has had more talent than anyone in 1A football and yet he finds a way to lose every time.. UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!
It was this guy. Yes, let’s call absurdly successful coaches clowns. That’s based in reality. Turns out, it’s pretty tough to win a state championship.

I respect you guys take on Essex offense, but I will disagree some. Overall, Essex is well coached, but offensively, you can still run that double wing and be more diverse, yet conservative at the same time. I would have liked to see more misdirection, more screens, more getting the ball quickly in space to create some one on one situations in open field. You can still run the double wing and do the things above at the same time. It doesn't have to be all or none. In the 2nd qtr through the final point of the game, Galax had completely sold out on the pass and at the start of many snaps, they had as many as 9 in the box. You have to do/try something to counter that and you can still do it with a double wing formation. #5 for Essex is some kind of special on defense. Great player.

I think what most everyone has either forgotten or were not aware of is that Essex played its last 3 games without its season-long rushing leader. He's a track and field sprinter whose per carry average was in double digits. I'm not saying he would've made a difference but he certainly could have, especially in the play calling.

Everyone is bashing Essex offense but they was averaging 45 points a game coming into this. It was very successful for 14 games. Yes they could of mixed it up a little but Galax could have as well. People are forgetting that these are two very very good defenses playing yesterday.

I think what most everyone has either forgotten or were not aware of is that Essex played its last 3 games without its season-long rushing leader. He's a track and field sprinter whose per carry average was in double digits. I'm not saying he would've made a difference but he certainly could have, especially in the play calling.
Yeh i honestly dont think it would've mattered. Essex went backwards as much as they went forward after the first drive. Would love to see how many tackles for loss Galax had on them

Yeh i honestly dont think it would've mattered. Essex went backwards as much as they went forward after the first drive. Would love to see how many tackles for loss Galax had on them
Holmes definitely gives the offense a big boost. Having him on the field could’ve helped but Galax had figured Essex out in the 2nd half. #9 and I think #7 knew exactly who the ball was going to and was in the backfield making plays the second the ball was hiked. Both defenses played phenomenal.

Last edited:
If they (Essex) don't fire Jones after this embarrassing debacle then they deserve to keep under achieving. This clown has had more talent than anyone in 1A football and yet he finds a way to lose every time.. UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!
What is the problem with you and Coach Jones? You bashed him when he was at Pulaski County and you continue to bash him now. Did he not play you or one of your kids?
The man is a good coach, whether you want to admit it or not.

I just watched the Galax vs Essex game again on NFHS. I'm really blown away by the Essex linebacker. I understand he's a UVA commit and a 3 star. I believe this is another case of a kid playing at a lower classification and because of that, the lower classification hurts his recruiting ranking. That young man is special. Before all is said and done, I don't think he will just start at UVA at some point, but will be an all conference type player. His ball skills, lateral movement, ability to shed blocks and nose for the football are high level. I'm really surprised this kid doesn't have more offers.

As a Radford fan, I'm a Clark fan of course. In Class 2, we had some special kids this year with the likes of Triple C, Clark, Clements and others. These kids are great players with D1 offers. When all is said and done, I think the kid from Essex might have the highest ceiling and might be the one out of all them that goes the furthest. Essex had a special talent playing LB this year. I recommend fans if they get a chance, watch the Essex vs Galax game with focus on this kid at LB. It's alarming.

Sitting in the stands, Roane gets your attention. I was glad they didn't try to get him more involved offensively. He could have been the difference on that side of the ball.

Size may be limiting his D1 offers. He's not big enough to play LB in the ACC and would be a slightly undersized Safety. But he definitely has the athletic ability to play D1 at a high level.

Coach Jones is one of the best coaches in VA. Essex I believe was sticking to the Riverheads ideology to win the State title 3 yards at a time . I don’t blame him if he did the results are proven. Galax was able to match that approach. Either way a great game by both teams. Essex will ok I’m sure of it. My condolences to the Jones family from Sussex. You guys had a great season !

I called the Altavista-Essex state semifinal game on the radio and then went to the Class 1 Final in Salem last week. I was observing Coach Todd Jones on the Trojans sideline. I was impressed with his intensity and the way he interacted with his players. Essex was loaded with some super sophomores this season and was a very defensive minded team that ran the single wing on offense. I don't believe Coach Jones should be relieved of his duties as head coach and athletic director. In fact, I predict that the Trojans will win the next two Class 1 state championships.

I predict that the Trojans will win the next two Class 1 state championships.
It's very possible, but Galax had 4 seniors see action in the championship game. George Wythe will also be loaded for bear next season. They return virtually everyone.

Galax and GW play in the toughest Class 1 district in Virginia. They will likely have a say in the end.

Class 1 is one of the most exciting classes for me. The loyalty and faithfulness of the fans is second to none. The kids play for pride of school and community.

I hope for a rematch of Galax and Essex in 2024. With the way it played out this year, it will be epic.

I called the Altavista-Essex state semifinal game on the radio and then went to the Class 1 Final in Salem last week. I was observing Coach Todd Jones on the Trojans sideline. I was impressed with his intensity and the way he interacted with his players. Essex was loaded with some super sophomores this season and was a very defensive minded team that ran the single wing on offense. I don't believe Coach Jones should be relieved of his duties as head coach and athletic director. In fact, I predict that the Trojans will win the next two Class 1 state championships.
I’ll take that bet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT