ADVERTISEMENT

Dinwiddie Schedule

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
That's the same thing the Spartan fans said about their schedule!

Maybe we should promote it as the "Cream Puff Bowl" and sell pastries as a fund raiser? But, we can't let Mike be involved. He would eat up all of the profits!

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
That's the same thing the Spartan fans said about their schedule!

Maybe we should promote it as the "Cream Puff Bowl" and sell pastries as a fund raiser? But, we can't let Mike be involved. He would eat up all of the profits!

I like it! You, sir, are a marketing wiz. I hate to admit it, but when it comes to cream puffs and the like, I could probably give Mike a serious run for his money.

Hey, BTW - way back on the Tuesday before the state championship game, I emailed you about meeting up briefly at the game, as I knew I wouldn't be there in time for the group get-together. I also inquired about assisting Mike, as that was ongoing. When I saw Chris King at the high school when I got my tickets on Friday (day before the game), I expressed to him my surprise at not having heard back from you. He laughed and said, "DP's probably just trying to get inside your head - playing mind games before the big showdown." Whether it was psychology or just an email that got lost in the shuffle, sorry that we didn't meet in Williamsburg. It WILL happen in September.

I assure you I am not smart enough to devise a plan to get into anyone's head.

I remember our exchange. I assume I either sent you a reply, or at least I though I sent you a reply, (almost assuredly the latter). You already know my lack of technological prowess is legendary. I've been playing "catch up" ever since they came and took away my rotary dial phone!

I certainly apologize. As one of my favorites on here, I certainly want to meet you. Barring an apocalypse, (or Navy getting us lost, "again"), we will definitely meet in Sept.

BTW, Chris is a class act. I've really enjoyed getting to know him.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
The Dinwiddie schedule for all intents and purposes is as good as you can make it. Smithfield and Salem are as good as it gets for 4A OOD opponents. The central district is tough but it is the most balanced in the 804. It is not automatic but Dinwiddie has a good shot of going undefeated in district play again this year. In terms of district play I think Meadowbrook, Dale, Motoaca & Hopewell could all be improved this year. I don't think it will be enough to beat the Generals though.

Big key is to see how "Lil Pope" does replacing Bryce Witt. I am sure coach Mills will adjust play calling somewhat now that he has a dynamic athlete back there. Also, can he be as good of a leader and passer as BW was?

Regardless coach Mills pulls the best out of his athletes. Beating Dinwiddie will be tough sledding again this year. I will be glad Tye Freeland won't be running around out there anymore.

The QB position is not settled by any means. Kymon Pope is a heck of a force on defense. If he continues to grow physically and otherwise, he may not be replaceable on defense. But, there are others that are being groomed to be QB.

I'll tell you what I like about K'Vaughan Pope. That is the affect he has on the opposition. Meaning that he is the type of player that you have to account for on every play. And when you account for him, and try to make adjustments, it changes your ordinary game plan. Salem double teamed him on most plays, which should have created a weakness somewhere else. But they were good enough that we just couldn't capitalize on it. Most opponents are faced with "damned if we do, damned if we don't"! If you try to control him with special schemes or double teams, other players are free to make a play. Leave him be, and watch out.

And as good as he was last year, he is even better this year. Scary, huh? Best part though, is that he is just a good kid, a great teammate, and a fun guy.

Last edited:
If Lil Pope is QB then the Generals will have one of the most lethal offenses in the state. Good luck stopping that read option.

There are rumblings that we might be on the verge of something special next year. Lost a lot, but have a core of experience and talent returning. Offensive line looks solid, so whichever QB emerges will have a chance to learn.

First two games at home helps. You know they are going to come after a new QB. He, whomever "he" turns out to be, needs every chance he can get to feel comfortable. Denbigh and Smithfield will be challenge enough, but going into Salem Stadium is going to be intimidating as heck.

We have a rarity on the roster that will be fun to watch. Miss Cheyenne Wray will get some playing time. No shrinking violet, she can bring it. She is working hard on long snapping, but she will get some time on the offensive line. You know that any kid that can hang with the Coach Mill's program is there because they EARNED that right. She has!

What does it look like for GW this fall?

Can VCU get revenge against Dayton?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
There are rumblings that we might be on the verge of something special next year. Lost a lot, but have a core of experience and talent returning. Offensive line looks solid, so whichever QB emerges will have a chance to learn.

First two games at home helps. You know they are going to come after a new QB. He, whomever "he" turns out to be, needs every chance he can get to feel comfortable. Denbigh and Smithfield will be challenge enough, but going into Salem Stadium is going to be intimidating as heck.

We have a rarity on the roster that will be fun to watch. Miss Cheyenne Wray will get some playing time. No shrinking violet, she can bring it. She is working hard on long snapping, but she will get some time on the offensive line. You know that any kid that can hang with the Coach Mill's program is there because they EARNED that right. She has!

The Eagles will be solid. 3 year returning QB but we have a 6'4 dual threat that looks like he could challenge him for that spot. They will be very fast and strong. They return 20 starters including some playmakers from JV. They will be much better than last year but they have to want it! We will know if they are for real within 4 weeks. They open against LCA before playing Amherst and JF.
The Rams better bring it this weekend! I'm actually heading up to Pittsburgh on Friday so HOPEFULLY I'll get to watch em bring it home lol!! As long as we work our way out of that 8/9 seed I'll be happy come tourney time!

A group down here that has been to every ACC tournament for as long as anyone can remember, decided they didn't want to go to Brooklyn. I'm sure the newer ACC members wanted it up there, but most of the Tobacco Road folks said to hell with it. Rooms started at $400 a night.

When your Rams play inspired ball, they can beat almost anybody. And you just know they will be inspired.

Cool deal with Frank Mason. Saw him play several times in high school. He dropped 3's on Dinwiddie one game like he was shooting foul shots.

A group down here that has been to every ACC tournament for as long as anyone can remember, decided they didn't want to go to Brooklyn. I'm sure the newer ACC members wanted it up there, but most of the Tobacco Road folks said to hell with it. Rooms started at $400 a night.

When your Rams play inspired ball, they can beat almost anybody. And you just know they will be inspired.

Cool deal with Frank Mason. Saw him play several times in high school. He dropped 3's on Dinwiddie one game like he was shooting foul shots.
I went to the past two A10 tournaments in Brooklyn plus the VCU/Duke game last year in MSG and I'm glad that we're not playing there this year. NYC is just too much for a country boy like me! Expensive and too much going on. I'm rooting hard for Frank Mason. Watched him A LOT in high school and I think the world of him. He is hands down the best player in college basketball right now. So much heart. Whoever he goes to in the NBA I will be a fan! I hope he gets a chance. If my Rams don't make it, I will be rooting for the Jayhawks this March!

Don't have to worry about Dayton now... Davidson beat them this afternoon.

The QB position is not settled by any means. Kymon Pope is a heck of a force on defense. If he continues to grow physically and otherwise, he may not be replaceable on defense. But, there are others that are being groomed to be QB.

I'll tell you what I like about K'Vaughan Pope. That is the affect he has on the opposition. Meaning that he is the type of player that you have to account for on every play. And when you account for him, and try to make adjustments, it changes your ordinary game plan. Salem double teamed him on most plays, which should have created a weakness somewhere else. But they were good enough that we just couldn't capitalize on it. Most opponents are faced with "damned if we do, damned if we don't"! If you try to control him with special schemes or double teams, other players are free to make a play. Leave him be, and watch out.

And as good as he was last year, he is even better this year. Scary, huh? Best part though, is that he is just a good kid, a great teammate, and a fun guy.
I think one thing that probably surprised Dinwiddie's coaches and players (As it did myself) was Salem putting Viante Tucker at cornerback. He had only really played one game there and it was due to injury so they might not have even seen that on film. They had him guard Freeland man-to-man and Freeland made some plays but Tucker guarded him very well when you consider how they were rotating things towards Pope to try to contain him.

Don't have to worry about Dayton now... Davidson beat them this afternoon.

Of course I root for VCU and U of R, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Davidson because Coach Terry Holland had a part of elevating that program. Great victory for them.

Also, I just found out that sons of a relatively new customer of ours play D1 football. One at Nevada, and one at Coastal Carolina. I'm guessing they were Bird players because of where mom and dad live. I'll have to follow two more college programs a little closer now!

If my sports interest keep expanding, you guys may have to call me "Little Danny"! Not to worry, I could study sports for 100 years and I wouldn't be qualified to carry his notebook.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
If UVA stays as a fifth seed, I assume they could beat UT Arlington. But if they drop to 6th, and catch Xavier, they could be one and done. If the get past UTA, WV will brobably beat them by 10 or more. I see no hope for the Cavaliers.

Man, I don't know what has gone wrong with the Hoos, but the train has sure come off the tracks.

If seeding holds true, do you think ANYBODY in Virginia will be on the job when VCU and VT play? I would be pulling for VCU, but I think Tech wins. Sorry DSH!

If UVA stays as a fifth seed, I assume they could beat UT Arlington. But if they drop to 6th, and catch Xavier, they could be one and done. If the get past UTA, WV will brobably beat them by 10 or more. I see no hope for the Cavaliers.

Man, I don't know what has gone wrong with the Hoos, but the train has sure come off the tracks.

If seeding holds true, do you think ANYBODY in Virginia will be on the job when VCU and VT play? I would be pulling for VCU, but I think Tech wins. Sorry DSH!
I think UVA has the best shot. I really don't like how the Tech guards are shoot first. Robinson almost killed him self the other night against Wake. I'd be surprised to see both VCU and Tech make it past the first round.

I think the Hoos are struggling with two big issues currently. First is a crisis of confidence, as evidenced by the team-wide shooting slump that led to the four-game skid. I had thought they were past that, but then Perrantes and Guy combined to go 1 of 17 against ND.

The other, perhaps even more concerning issue is illness. Isaiah Wilkins, though not a huge presence on the stats sheet, is a classic "glue guy", and is undeniably the Cavs' motor. They had thought he had strep throat, but whatever ails him is lingering on into something like the fourth week now. He's dropped anywhere from ten to fifteen pounds. Perrantes and a couple of others have also been sick, and truth be told, Perrantes still doesn't seem like himself. If he and Wilkins aren't both near one hundred percent, the odds of the Hoos winning even one NCAA tournament game will not be favorable.

Aside from those two big factors are the glaring weaknesses that have been on display all year. There just is no low post presence at all on offense, so as the jump shots go, UVa goes. Still, if the Hoos can get healthy, the defense can at least allow them to stay in the game with anyone. That four-game losing streak included games to VT and Miami that the Cavs flat-out gave away at the free throw line. The other two losses were to Duke and Carolina. So, not as dire as it might appear.

Back at the beginning of the season, coach Bennett had the guts to stick to his principles (coach K might want to take notes), and dismiss Austin Nichols from the program. Even though he had to know that doing so would drop Virginia from a Final Four contender, into rebuilding status. Well, if rebuilding looks like 22 wins and a number five seed in the NCAA's, I'll take that every time. At this point, I think UVa's ceiling is the Sweet Sixteen, if they can get healthy in the next six days. It will all be very matchup dependent. Playing non-conference opponents that aren't as familiar with UVa's brand of the packline defense would help, I should think.

I still have some hope for them, DP - which is unusual for me, because I'm generally hopeless. This is still the team that held UNC to 43, wiped out VT at home, drilled ND and Louisville on the road, and lost at the buzzer at Villanova, a likely number one seed. If Wilkins and Perrantes are back near full strength to get the D near top efficiency and the jump shots are falling, I could see Virginia pulling a mild upset of a number four to make it to the second weekend. I think the ride would end there, as there are just too many weaknesses to overcome. But a Sweet Sixteen berth after such a roller coaster year would be really.....uh, sweet!

I think the Hoos are struggling with two big issues currently. First is a crisis of confidence, as evidenced by the team-wide shooting slump that led to the four-game skid. I had thought they were past that, but then Perrantes and Guy combined to go 1 of 17 against ND.

The other, perhaps even more concerning issue is illness. Isaiah Wilkins, though not a huge presence on the stats sheet, is a classic "glue guy", and is undeniably the Cavs' motor. They had thought he had strep throat, but whatever ails him is lingering on into something like the fourth week now. He's dropped anywhere from ten to fifteen pounds. Perrantes and a couple of others have also been sick, and truth be told, Perrantes still doesn't seem like himself. If he and Wilkins aren't both near one hundred percent, the odds of the Hoos winning even one NCAA tournament game will not be favorable.

Aside from those two big factors are the glaring weaknesses that have been on display all year. There just is no low post presence at all on offense, so as the jump shots go, UVa goes. Still, if the Hoos can get healthy, the defense can at least allow them to stay in the game with anyone. That four-game losing streak included games to VT and Miami that the Cavs flat-out gave away at the free throw line. The other two losses were to Duke and Carolina. So, not as dire as it might appear.

Back at the beginning of the season, coach Bennett had the guts to stick to his principles (coach K might want to take notes), and dismiss Austin Nichols from the program. Even though he had to know that doing so would drop Virginia from a Final Four contender, into rebuilding status. Well, if rebuilding looks like 22 wins and a number five seed in the NCAA's, I'll take that every time. At this point, I think UVa's ceiling is the Sweet Sixteen, if they can get healthy in the next six days. It will all be very matchup dependent. Playing non-conference opponents that aren't as familiar with UVa's brand of the packline defense would help, I should think.

I still have some hope for them, DP - which is unusual for me, because I'm generally hopeless. This is still the team that held UNC to 43, wiped out VT at home, drilled ND and Louisville on the road, and lost at the buzzer at Villanova, a likely number one seed. If Wilkins and Perrantes are back near full strength to get the D near top efficiency and the jump shots are falling, I could see Virginia pulling a mild upset of a number four to make it to the second weekend. I think the ride would end there, as there are just too many weaknesses to overcome. But a Sweet Sixteen berth after such a roller coaster year would be really.....uh, sweet!

@SpartanOfYore wow did you hit the nail on the head. I have seen every UVA game this year and couldn't agree more. UVA celling is the sweet 16 bc they are too jumpshot dependant. I have never seen a team on any level go as cold as they go when they are cold. They might as well be ballin in antartica! I really wish I knew what Austin Nichols did to get suspended. With him we were potentially a final for team.

@SpartanOfYore wow did you hit the nail on the head. I have seen every UVA game this year and couldn't agree more. UVA celling is the sweet 16 bc they are too jumpshot dependant. I have never seen a team on any level go as cold as they go when they are cold. They might as well be ballin in antartica! I really wish I knew what Austin Nichols did to get suspended. With him we were potentially a final for team.

What I've read - and I guess this is okay to say here, as he's an adult and I've seen it on other message boards - indicates that he really enjoys the wacky weed. Really screwed both himself and the team - and after Bennett had already given him a second chance.

I was really disappointed at how poorly UVa played against ND. I wasn't surprised the Irish won, because they're a good team and they were overdue against the Hoos. I just thought that was probably Virginia's worst overall performance of the season. Not only was their shooting frigid again, they just looked completely confused and disorganized. Not too encouraging, heading into the big dance. Still, as I said above, I do have some hope that Bennett can marshal the troops one more time.

Even if everyone gets healthy in a hurry, I could envision UVa having a dreadful day from downtown, and dropping a first-round (technically second round) game to the tune of 50-49. Aside from the sixteen seeds, nobody in the thing is bad. It should be interesting - it always is!

Maybe it's just me but throwing a college kid out of college for smoking a little grass is petty. It just doesnt make sense anymore. But with that being said, I fully trust Toney B. To make the right call when it comes to these kids. Maybe that was just the icing on the cake.

Maybe it's just me but throwing a college kid out of college for smoking a little grass is petty. It just doesnt make sense anymore. But with that being said, I fully trust Toney B. To make the right call when it comes to these kids. Maybe that was just the icing on the cake.

Those are just the rumors I've read, though the sources seem well-informed enough that maybe "rumors" isn't accurate. I really don't know what happened. However, remember that Nichols was suspended for the first game of the season for "violation of team rules." He then played his one and only game in a Virginia uniform before being dismissed for "repeated violation of team rules." So, he was given a second chance, and he knew the score.

If you've seen every UVa game, you must be familiar with the five pillars upon which Bennett bases his program. He has his system, on and off the court. I admire him for having integrity and making a decision that had to be a very difficult one, both personally and professionally. As opposed to someone like Duke's coach, who not only refused to take any meaningful action regarding Grayson Allen, but also perpetuated the myth that Allen is an innocent victim. Not an ounce of integrity there. IMHO, of course.

Sorry - I didn't pick up on this in your post before, but Nichols is still enrolled at Virginia. He was dismissed from the basketball team, not sent packing altogether. Just wanted to clarify that.

Reactions: mbonape1
I actually tuned in to watch a NBA game between San Antonio and Golden State, only to find out the Warriors were sitting out their best players. If I had tickets I'd demand a refund, what a joke! I don't watch basketball often, but I'll stick to college from now on.

I enjoy filling out the brackets, but marvel at how quickly they start getting marked up with red x's. I picked Villanova to win it all last year, but I think that and my name at the top of the page are about the only 2 things I got right! Is it time for football yet?

I did get out to a Salem baseball scrimmage this week with Glenvar. I think half of the team played football this year. The baseball team was pretty good last year, but I think they'll be even better this year. I don't know much about the pitching situation, (very important) but the Spartans have a lot of speed, are good fielders, and they make good contact with the ball. Even on a tough day they will be good at small ball with all of the speed they have. They have a lot of home games early in the season so hopefully the weather will be cooperative so I can get out and watch.

I went to some Lacrosse games last year and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing some more games this season and trying to learn the intricacies of the sport.

The girl's soccer team were runner-up last year and a lot of the players return this year so I'll try to make some of their games as well.

I've been struggling with some health issues since June. I'm slated for surgery 3/28. (has been postponed twice due to infection) I spent a lot of last summer and this winter in bed because extremes in temperatures don't mix well with MS and the aforementioned issues. (I have gotten up a lot for the unseasonably warm days we've had)

Looking forward to getting this surgery done and hopefully getting things fixed. I'm also ready for spring and getting out and taking pictures and enjoying my cigars on the porch. I actually have my humidor stocked up pretty well for the first time in a while.

My son is quiet and reserved, but I really enjoy it when he joins me for a cigar. We get to talk as men and not as dad/son. Last time we picked out a cigar together and he decided to smoke it in his room. My daughter seeing an opening came out with me while I smoked and we got to talk as adults. I really hate MS, but I would have never been as close to my kids as I am now if things were "normal."

Meeting so many of the posters on this board and through the Salem Football Fans Facebook page has been a real treasure. I'm a people person so I love meeting and talking with people. I still hope to meet a lot of you in the coming years.
On Friday nights I usually have to escape upstairs so I don't miss the start of the game because I'm busy running my mouth.

There are so many things that MS has taken, but honestly I've been blessed with what MS has given me. My relationships with my dad, kids, x-wife, other family, and friends are so much closer than they would have been otherwise. Last week marked my 16th year with MS. I honestly don't know what my life would be like without it. I've had it for over 1/3 of my life. I think it has made me a better person. I've been blessed with a strong support system and I try not to take anything for granted.

That really hit home last month when I developed sepsis late one Friday evening. I wasn't feeling right, but I didn't know why. I called my ex in to see what she thought. (she's a nurse) She didn't know what was going on, but she asked if she could call 911 for me to let them assess the situation. As she was making the call I started to go into septic shock. It happened so fast, neither of us knew what was happening. I was talking one minute and the next I was so tight I could barely talk or breathe. I wouldn't be here today if things didn't work exactly as they did.

I guess I've gone on long enough. 7v7 starts April 20th from what I've been told so I've got that to look forward to.

Well Mike, I think you did twice as good in the pool last year as I did. I think I even got my name wrong!

How many football players are the Lacrosse team. That is trend at schools with Lacrosse, many football players take it up. The only problem is that it tends to complicate the football weightlifting program.

Bleeding Navy has seen our girls scrimmage a couple of times, and is encouraged. Like baseball, the key is pitching. Not sure how good ours is, but softball is huge here in the county, so the girls coming up are always talented and experienced. We shall see.

It takes a lot of guts to find the good from having MS. You are a good and brave man. Here is a result of your affliction that you may not be aware of, but it also helps but the best face on it. Your situation serves as a reminder to the rest of us, of how fortunate we are to have the health we have. No one would ever wish MS or any disease on you, but the reality is that we clearly see your daily struggles, and we would be lying if we didn't admit we are reminded of how fortunate we are. Does that make sense without sounding callus?

And no more trying to sneak out the back door on us. If you have to go, do it in a blaze of glory.

And yep, I can smell a little football on the spring breeze.

mannnnn, I like this schedule! Playing teams from BOTH sides of the state, and actually going in to Salem. Folks in the 757 will downplay Smithfield and Denbigh, but truth be told, still good tests to have, right?

Smithfield has been on the upswing the last few years. A good and exciting matchup for Dinwiddie.

Denbigh may not have had a stellar record each year recently, but man, look at their schedule. Many of the toughest teams in tidewater. Don't take them seriously, and "boom", you have that surprise "L" on your record.

And Salem speaks for itself. I don't care who you are, leave Salem Stadium with a win, and you have accomplished something very, very few ever do.

So, yes sir. A darn nice schedule this year. And EVERY team in the Central District will be stronger this year. This should be a hell of a year of football here at Navy Nation.

Are you finally back stateside, TBone?

And EVERY team in the Central District will be stronger this year.

You can say that again. Outside of Dinwiddie, there might be some real parody in that district next year. Lots of emerging and re-emerging programs.

You can say that again. Outside of Dinwiddie, there might be some real parody in that district next year. Lots of emerging and re-emerging programs.
Who do you think the teams to beat will be out East in 4A? I guess the question is who returns the most and did the best last year?

Well Mike, there is not a lot of new information floating around yet, but you can expect the usual "cast of characters" to be in the mix. The one thing that is bonified new is Patrick Henry of Ashland. Dropping down to Class 4, they make an already competitive Region B, even more so.

Assuming their upcoming schedule is similar to this past year, they could go into the regional playoffs as a very high seed. Definitely in the upper four of the eight in the region that make the playoffs. (I don't know if that formula is official yet, but that seems to be the way that Region B is leaning.)

No shrinking violet, PH goes to war each year with some of the toughest teams in the state. And that includes two time defending State Class 5 Champion, Highland Springs. So, big game swagger will not be an issue for them. Mark my word, we will be talking about the Patriots come playoff time.

I would like to say Smithfield will be in the mix, but I don't know how hard they got hit by graduation. But, if they want to be a force, they have got to find a way to beat Lafayette, Kings Fork, and Grafton on a regular basis. I'm still shocked that the Packers lost to Kings Fork in their opener last year. That win would have probably changed their seeding in the playoffs, and they wouldn't have had to face Grafton back to back. Back to back wins against a quality, well coached opponent is always tough.

GWB, what can you add about Smithfield?

Who do you think the teams to beat will be out East in 4A? I guess the question is who returns the most and did the best last year?

Dinwiddie - lost a lot but have a lot. Pre-season East favorite. Need to see how the QB position pans out. I think replacing a leader like BW is easier said than done. Big game will be against TD in district. Only real team with a shot to dethrone them in a scrappy central district.
LT - At this point I just assume LT is going to be a contender. Will win their district again.
Mon - returning Fludd and Bridy... team was mostly sophomores and jr's last year. If they can find 1-2 more playmakers this could be their year. Explosive offense. Need to sure up Defensive backfield. 6A Manchester (who will be loaded) will be favorite to win Dominion District and that is including LC Bird.
Lafayette - traditional power

Louisa
- has a few studs, not sure about collectively though. I feel like Louisa has some really good players that mask the rest of the roster. I worry about depth. Maybe @HoosFan05 can cosign that... maybe not. Certainly will be a contender regardless. I think Albemarle or Charlottesville might win the Jefferson District.

Heritage NN: lots of athletes in the program and were a little down last year. Got bit by the injury bug. Interesting to see how they bounce back this year. I think Woodside or Hampton wins this district.

Patrick Henry Richmond: New to 4A. I don't think they are as good as DP does but they are certainly going to be a contender. 5A highland springs wins this division walking away. It is nice to have PH just to give the Richmond area another 4A team.

Smithfield: could be a real wildcard in the east along with Heritage NN.

Don't know much about EV or Chancellor but I am sure they will be in the mix.

A few potential dark-horses:
Kings Fork
Grafton
Hanover
- has to be improved over last year
Powhatan - tough Jefferson District schedule. Quality team though.

Out of the Mix:
Midlothian: lost its 2 best players and a new head coach taking over the program.
Huguenot: Should be improved but too much to overcome in District with Mon, Bird, JR, Man, & Cosby. Look out for Huguenot in the next 2 years

Someone in the East is going to have to knock Dinwiddie off the mountain top ultimately.

Mike and company, how about on your side of the universe? Who will be the teams to beat?

Dinwiddie - lost a lot but have a lot. Pre-season East favorite. Need to see how the QB position pans out. I think replacing a leader like BW is easier said than done. Big game will be against TD in district. Only real team with a shot to dethrone them in a scrappy central district.
LT - At this point I just assume LT is going to be a contender. Will win their district again.
Mon - returning Fludd and Bridy... team was mostly sophomores and jr's last year. If they can find 1-2 more playmakers this could be their year. Explosive offense. Need to sure up Defensive backfield. 6A Manchester (who will be loaded) will be favorite to win Dominion District and that is including LC Bird.
Lafayette - traditional power

Louisa
- has a few studs, not sure about collectively though. I feel like Louisa has some really good players that mask the rest of the roster. I worry about depth. Maybe @HoosFan05 can cosign that... maybe not. Certainly will be a contender regardless. I think Albemarle or Charlottesville might win the Jefferson District.

Heritage NN: lots of athletes in the program and were a little down last year. Got bit by the injury bug. Interesting to see how they bounce back this year. I think Woodside or Hampton wins this district.

Patrick Henry Richmond: New to 4A. I don't think they are as good as DP does but they are certainly going to be a contender. 5A highland springs wins this division walking away. It is nice to have PH just to give the Richmond area another 4A team.

Smithfield: could be a real wildcard in the east along with Heritage NN.

Don't know much about EV or Chancellor but I am sure they will be in the mix.

A few potential dark-horses:
Kings Fork
Grafton
Hanover
- has to be improved over last year
Powhatan - tough Jefferson District schedule. Quality team though.

Out of the Mix:
Midlothian: lost its 2 best players and a new head coach taking over the program.
Huguenot: Should be improved but too much to overcome in District with Mon, Bird, JR, Man, & Cosby. Look out for Huguenot in the next 2 years

Someone in the East is going to have to knock Dinwiddie off the mountain top ultimately.

What gives you hope at Huguenot?

Well Mike, there is not a lot of new information floating around yet, but you can expect the usual "cast of characters" to be in the mix. The one thing that is bonified new is Patrick Henry of Ashland. Dropping down to Class 4, they make an already competitive Region B, even more so.

Assuming their upcoming schedule is similar to this past year, they could go into the regional playoffs as a very high seed. Definitely in the upper four of the eight in the region that make the playoffs. (I don't know if that formula is official yet, but that seems to be the way that Region B is leaning.)

No shrinking violet, PH goes to war each year with some of the toughest teams in the state. And that includes two time defending State Class 5 Champion, Highland Springs. So, big game swagger will not be an issue for them. Mark my word, we will be talking about the Patriots come playoff time.

I would like to say Smithfield will be in the mix, but I don't know how hard they got hit by graduation. But, if they want to be a force, they have got to find a way to beat Lafayette, Kings Fork, and Grafton on a regular basis. I'm still shocked that the Packers lost to Kings Fork in their opener last year. That win would have probably changed their seeding in the playoffs, and they wouldn't have had to face Grafton back to back. Back to back wins against a quality, well coached opponent is always tough.

GWB, what can you add about Smithfield?

Patrick Henry's schedule will be similar to 2016 except out is Mills Godwin and in is Deep Run

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT