ADVERTISEMENT

Dixon to Pulaski???

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
Is this for real? What in the ever loving heck is going on there? Galax has a solid program with great community support so as an outsider I am a little surprised. I realize it’s a larger division but wow.

Pulaski County is 4A
I should've phrased it differently, what 4a team a county over? I misunderstood because of the county over statement, Pulaski isnt just a county over but I understand it's close enough for him to say it that way. It just through me off a little.

I should've phrased it differently, what 4a team a county over? I misunderstood because of the county over statement, Pulaski isnt just a county over but I understand it's close enough for him to say it that way. It just through me off a little.
I think parts of Pulaski and Carroll counties boundaries connect. I've always thought the city of Galax was in Carroll county. But it may be be Grayson county. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think parts of Pulaski and Carroll counties boundaries connect. I've always thought the city of Galax was in Carroll county. But it may be be Grayson county. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Galax is neither in Carroll or Grayson County. Cities in Virginia are independent and their own jurisdiction, which means they must have their own council, police, fire, school system, courts, etc.

No hate on moving up divisions at all but he has built a very successful program there and I am a little surprised. I know nothing of Pulaski’s football pedigree but they certainly have a very good coach now. Good luck to him In his new adventure

Galax is neither in Carroll or Grayson County. Cities in Virginia are independent and their own jurisdiction, which means they must have their own council, police, fire, school system, courts, etc.
I know, but before becoming a city, they were either a part of Carroll or Grayson county. I just always assumed Carroll, but not for sure.

I know, but before becoming a city, they were either a part of Carroll or Grayson county. I just always assumed Carroll, but not for sure.
It's not that big of a deal...I just misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant he was offered different job just a county over(not the pulaski job). Galax happens to be split by Carroll and Grayson counties.

Those divide lines between Carroll, Grayson and Galax date back to Brown vs Board of Education and desegregation of schools.

http://www.galaxscrapbook.com/index...alax-high-intergrating-50-years-ago-this-week

Currently, city residents living on the Carroll County side of Main Street are allowed to vote in Carroll County elections and vice-versa for those living on the Grayson County side of Main Street. But no county residents are allowed to vote in city elections. All school board positions in Galax are appointed by the elected members of city council.

Sorry! The former owner of my company (MT FAN 91's uncle) was a big history buff. Some of his old newspaper clippings and magazine articles are still in a flat-file in my office.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Those divide lines between Carroll, Grayson and Galax date back to Brown vs Board of Education and desegregation of schools.

http://www.galaxscrapbook.com/index...alax-high-intergrating-50-years-ago-this-week

Currently, city residents living on the Carroll County side of Main Street are allowed to vote in Carroll County elections and vice-versa for those living on the Grayson County side of Main Street. But no county residents are allowed to vote in city elections. All school board positions in Galax are appointed by the elected members of city council.

Sorry! The former owner of my company (MT FAN 91's uncle) was a big history buff. Some of his old newspaper clippings and magazine articles are still in a flat-file in my office.
OK, but just for clarification, was Galax a part of Carroll or Grayson Counties, before the divide and becoming a city.

OK, but just for clarification, was Galax a part of Carroll or Grayson Counties, before the divide and becoming a city.

Neither before becoming a "city" in 1954 because it was already an incorporated town. Prior to becoming a "town" in 1906, the boundary between Grayson and Carroll Counties would have been Chestnut Creek. Which essentially, divides the City of Galax right down the middle.

Towns aren’t like cities. Towns belong to a county. Sounds unique in that it’s supposedly split like Bristol.

Just out of curiosity what happened with the last coach in Pulaski? Was he let go or did he leave for another job?

Towns aren’t like cities. Towns belong to a county. Sounds unique in that it’s supposedly split like Bristol.

Most towns are just a portion of the county they are in. But a small number are "incorporated" much like a city and operate independently of the county they are in.

The Town of Norton is one example off the top of my head. Norton has it's own elected town council, school division, school board, etc.

Most towns are just a portion of the county they are in. But a small number are "incorporated" much like a city and operate independently of the county they are in.

The Town of Norton is one example off the top of my head. Norton has it's own elected town council, school division, school board, etc.

I grew up in the incorporated Town of West Point, which runs its own schools and has its own town government and PD, but is most definitely a part of King William County.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_Virginia

his step kids go to va tech so i guess that maybe why
Dixon has two daughters from a previous marriage and Wendy has two kids from a previous marriage. I know at least one his daughters attends tech and I think some of the others do but I'm not sure....someone else can clarify that maybe and I think im right on the number of kids they have but I've been wrong before.

I grew up in the incorporated Town of West Point, which runs its own schools and has its own town government and PD, but is most definitely a part of King William County.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_Virginia

Semantics I suppose. Some towns operate independent of the county they are in based on "grandfathered" laws that are no longer applicable. Search Wise County in Google Maps and notice Norton is completely removed from the county boundary.

In part, this is what I have done for a living for nearly 26 years.

Reactions: WP02alum
Dixon has two daughters from a previous marriage and Wendy has two kids from a previous marriage. I know at least one his daughters attends tech and I think some of the others do but I'm not sure....someone else can clarify that maybe and I think im right on the number of kids they have but I've been wrong before.
this is from his interview I posted above: The Dixons have four children with three attending Virginia Tech and one attending Radford University.

One has already graduated from VT. Two will be at VT in the fall. The other is at Radford I think.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I would add, Dixon deserves an awful lot of credit for the entire athletic department turnaround at Galax. Not just football. He completely changed the culture of a small town with absolutely no history in any team sport of being competitive on a regional level, much less a state level.

Just pull up the VHSL Book of Records and search "Galax" to see how many state championship were won prior to 2010 versus post 2010. It's astonishing!

I wish him nothing but the best in his new opportunity. He shouldn't have to fight the numbers game anymore, which is something he has wanted for a while now.

Thanks coach!

Reactions: WP02alum
Yeah, I’m sure he is sincere about caring for the students he left behind. Unfortunately, there’s never a situation where that doesn’t happen. Some handle the situation better than others, but there’s always rising seniors who are torn up over a change.

Reactions: sixcat
Neither before becoming a "city" in 1954 because it was already an incorporated town. Prior to becoming a "town" in 1906, the boundary between Grayson and Carroll Counties would have been Chestnut Creek. Which essentially, divides the City of Galax right down the middle.
You seem to be knowledgeable about these things. Let me throw one more at you. Radford. Before becoming a city, Pulaski or Montgomery County?

You seem to be knowledgeable about these things. Let me throw one more at you. Radford. Before becoming a city, Pulaski or Montgomery County?
First, I'm nowhere near as confident in my information about Radford as I am Galax. Galax is home and I learned a lot from my former boss.

If memory serves, Radford existed before Pulaski or Montgomery were chartered as counties. Radford came into existence some time around the 1760's and Montgomery and Pulaski were split apart from Fincastle County some time around 1777. I can't remember what happened to Fincastle County? Radford was a depot for the Norfolk Southern Railroad for much of the 1800's and 1900's, which helped keep it separate from the counties that surrounded it as well.

Reactions: 60 minute man
Radford was in Montgomery Co. according to my birth certificat, Radford hospital in Montgomery Co. 1960.
Yes I'm old......

Radford was in Montgomery Co. according to my birth certificat, Radford hospital in Montgomery Co. 1960.
Yes I'm old......
The hospital in Radford is not within the city of Radford, is it? It's actually several miles into Montgomery County.

This conversation got me interested so a started to do a little research. I can't figure out how to copy it to paste here but can be found in a download called "Radford Then and Now" a pictorial history compiled and edited by Elmer D. Johnson for The American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Radford,VA.
On page 13 it says at the time of the first settlements, the Radford area was in Augusta Co., which had been formed in 1745. In 1770, most of the area west of the Blue Ridge was formed into Botetourt Co., and from this in turn Fincastle Co. was formed. In 1776, Fincastle Co. disappeared from the map, and the Radford area became part of Montgomery Co.
That was as far as I read so far but I'm planning to read more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT