ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone have anything football related?

Well I guess I should provide more evidence of what I'm getting at when I speak about the Spartans although I know I'm speaking to essentially closed ears. Not diminishing victories or any accomplishments of the young men who played on these teams but analytically speaking since we are adults...my main point is this when you have exceptional athletes and a physical bunch of guys around them you can give Salem all they want and more. In this area the mules are the PROGRAM been this way for awhile teams model after what has been done tradition is what it is. however I have seen a blueprint and played against salem teams and I know what it is when you see the Mules not a lot of dazzle dazzle but you get what you see. They show up and play football for 48 minutes, you ignored the part about me stating you must play that brand of football of hitting them in the mouth to the point of submitting a victory you. We beat the Mules with Maugs at the helm, so my base of a blueprint isn't terrible.

BUT LET's Look at Salem's losses in 10 years (when they are great at least winning percentage:80)

2014/15 - LT you already know they dominated you from the lines of scrimmage and this made the difference they smacked salem in the mouth all night long

2012/2013 - Heritage Bradley's team may have not dominated you all at the line of scrimmage as emphatically as LT did but they controlled the game from their athletes out athleted salem this night they matched the mules all night long

2009/2010 - Christiansburg beat up on people all year up front and executed with exceptional athletes in space once, they dominated this game.

2007/2008 - ACHS one of those special high school teams that you know just don't come around to often the Mules battled them to the nail but again athlete for athlete amherst out did salem for 48 minutes

2006/2007 - ACHS the year before that special team which was comprised of these guys plus a few veteran seniors the Lancers controlled this game from a physical standpoint all game long, the Mules battled all night with them though but just didn't have enough and got out athleted by a special player making special plays

2005 - STATE CHAMPS
2004 - STATE CHAMPS
JF gave up 43 to Amherst & 35 to PH, they don't sound as physical as you'd like to make them seem. Salem gave up 12 & 14 to those same teams, that sounds physical to me. JF may win the game Saturday, should be a close one, but if Salem loses it won't be because they were less physical!

Last edited:
I never said the Mules are going to back down, nor be intimidated. I don't think either team is fearing of one another i'm speaking about being physical at every level and facet of the game. Football is won by the most physical set of guys with some exceptional talent around them to make those plays you need. The post above are my examples to my point i attempted to make.

It's a difference when you have exceptional athletes and a PHYSICAL bunch around them, secondly let's add in coaching to this equation. Several teams have high quality athletes , seen a lot of good football abroad (texas, ga, fla) but the most physical team that executes for 48 minutes wins. I know this game will be a damn good one. This recipe of physical football wins on all levels.

IOWA this year plays a physical brand of football with a couple special skill athletes with damn good coaching is an example of a team who might not do it yearly but this is what they are looking for and when they have it, this is what it looks like.
Coach Christmas is a damn good coach, but last I checked so is Coach Magenbauer. You bring up physicality and give examples of teams that were more physical than Salem, but your point is baseless since you failed to show that JF is a team that will be more physical. JF may very well win, but they won't be more physical.

S
Well I guess I should provide more evidence of what I'm getting at when I speak about the Spartans although I know I'm speaking to essentially closed ears. Not diminishing victories or any accomplishments of the young men who played on these teams but analytically speaking since we are adults...my main point is this when you have exceptional athletes and a physical bunch of guys around them you can give Salem all they want and more. In this area the mules are the PROGRAM been this way for awhile teams model after what has been done tradition is what it is. however I have seen a blueprint and played against salem teams and I know what it is when you see the Mules not a lot of dazzle dazzle but you get what you see. They show up and play football for 48 minutes, you ignored the part about me stating you must play that brand of football of hitting them in the mouth to the point of submitting a victory you. We beat the Mules with Maugs at the helm, so my base of a blueprint isn't terrible.

BUT LET's Look at Salem's losses in 10 years (when they are great at least winning percentage:80)

2014/15 - LT you already know they dominated you from the lines of scrimmage and this made the difference they smacked salem in the mouth all night long

2012/2013 - Heritage Bradley's team may have not dominated you all at the line of scrimmage as emphatically as LT did but they controlled the game from their athletes out athleted salem this night they matched the mules all night long

2009/2010 - Christiansburg beat up on people all year up front and executed with exceptional athletes in space once, they dominated this game.

2007/2008 - ACHS one of those special high school teams that you know just don't come around to often the Mules battled them to the nail but again athlete for athlete amherst out did salem for 48 minutes

2006/2007 - ACHS the year before that special team which was comprised of these guys plus a few veteran seniors the Lancers controlled this game from a physical standpoint all game long, the Mules battled all night with them though but just didn't have enough and got out athleted by a special player making special plays

2005 - STATE CHAMPS
2004 - STATE CHAMPS
Salem wins this game. Just ask yourself who would you put your money on? The answer is Salem that's who!

Coach Christmas is a damn good coach, but last I checked so is Coach Magenbauer. You bring up physicality and give examples of teams that were more physical than Salem, but your point is baseless since you failed to show that JF is a team that will be more physical. JF may very well win, but they won't be more physical.
Exactly Mike! His argument was that Salem would lose the game vs JF because athletic/physical teams have "proven" in the past that it could be done. However, I see no evidence that JF is one of those teams. I also find it amusing that he attempts to prove his point by referencing 9 games over a 10 year time period. That's almost like saying Alabama has had a tendency over the past decade to get "smacked in the mouth" and "wither" when playing a athletic/physical team. Alabama's record in the last decade 108-25 (77% winning percentage). Salem's record in the last decade 109-19 (83% winning percentage). They sure do seem "highly beatable" to me or maybe I've just been drinking too much cool-aid.

Last edited:
Exactly Mike! His argument was that Salem would lose the game vs JF because athletic/physical teams have "proven" in the past that it could be done. However, I see no evidence that JF is one of those teams. I also find it amusing that he attempts to prove his point by referencing 9 games over a 10 year time period. That's almost like saying Alabama has had a tendency over the past decade to get smacked in the mouth and wither when playing a athletic/physical team. Alabama's record in the last decade 108-25 (77% winning percentage). Salem's record in the last decade 109-19 (83% winning percentage). They sure do seem "highly beatable" to me or maybe I've just been drinking too much cool-aid.
Roll Spartans

You know jones, Miller, Scott, birch, crouch, all play defense? All of them have great speed
This is off topic but, what happened to the Burns kid that played JV last year? I heard he got into some trouble and was kicked off the team early in the year.

2005 - STATE CHAMPS
2004 - STATE CHAMPS
Not a bad blueprint and I've used history before to support arguments. Guilty there. But each team must be measured on their own. Players change every year. The programs remain consistent.

Salem is well Coached. The traditions are there. The line of Spartan players runs consistent. They know what's expected. They reload. They do not rebuild.

Punch them is something to try but look at their record. They have not beaten everyone so far. They've crushed them with a balanced and talented offense and a hard nosed defense. You simply cannot ignore that fact. Have they played anyone the caliber of LT, Courtland or JF? Absolutely not. But don't think for a second they can be punched in the mouth by any of the potential opponents put in front of them. Spartans punch back. They may not win but they will be there to play.

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts before the game and then I will be quite
1.Sure hope there are some police at the game ready to handle traffic and parking
2. Don't be suprised if the score is much lower than people might think---two great ground games that will run the clock keeping the defense off the field.
3. Special teams could decide issue
4. Turnovers will probably decide the issue
5. I hope the officials are a non issue but don't be suprised if there are some holding calls that neither team has seen much this year
6. Half time adjustments will be huge.
7. Salem defense will be the fastest defense JF has seen this year
8. JF offense will be the fastest Salem has seen this year
9. Salem offense will be the best offense JF has seen all year
10. Win or lose Salem should be very very good again next year-------JF will be good but there should be a significant fall off-----the road to the State Finals will still go through Salem
11. Isn't it wild that rainman had to go back 10 years to find four games that he felt Salem got out physicalled---I do not agree that they were out physicalled in those games but every once in a while you run into teams that just have more athletes than you do. You try to compensate with being disciplined and fundamentally sound but sometimes those athletes just make plays. That was the case in the Lake Taylor game last year----But if I can paraphrase Loyd Benson--- I have seen Lake Taylor, We are familiar with Lake Taylor, Mr. Rainman, Jefferson Forest is no Lake Taylor.

Just a few thoughts before the game and then I will be quite
1.Sure hope there are some police at the game ready to handle traffic and parking
2. Don't be suprised if the score is much lower than people might think---two great ground games that will run the clock keeping the defense off the field.
3. Special teams could decide issue
4. Turnovers will probably decide the issue
5. I hope the officials are a non issue but don't be suprised if there are some holding calls that neither team has seen much this year
6. Half time adjustments will be huge.
7. Salem defense will be the fastest defense JF has seen this year
8. JF offense will be the fastest Salem has seen this year
9. Salem offense will be the best offense JF has seen all year
10. Win or lose Salem should be very very good again next year-------JF will be good but there should be a significant fall off-----the road to the State Finals will still go through Salem
11. Isn't it wild that rainman had to go back 10 years to find four games that he felt Salem got out physicalled---I do not agree that they were out physicalled in those games but every once in a while you run into teams that just have more athletes than you do. You try to compensate with being disciplined and fundamentally sound but sometimes those athletes just make plays. That was the case in the Lake Taylor game last year----But if I can paraphrase Loyd Benson--- I have seen Lake Taylor, We are familiar with Lake Taylor, Mr. Rainman, Jefferson Forest is no Lake Taylor.
Lake Taylor was very physical last year as well as having great athletes. The other examples may have just been better athletes: Poe, Rose, Motley, Snell, Parrish, etc...

I don't see JF being in LT's league in the physical department. JF has some very good athletes and they will present all kinds of problems but they haven't shown themselves to be the type of physical team rainman is implying. Defense giving up big points to Amherst & PH tells the real story.

Didn't need to dig that far just referenced teams with a winning percent higher than 80% and you asked for evidence I provided it. JF is 24-1 or something close to that since the return of Christmas. Forest was one half away from this matchup last year.

Running the football is a physical aspect of the game. JF don't pass it much ask HR6, but if y'all think that the boys from Forest aren't physical we'll see what happens come Friday night. If you think misdirection is why a back is untouched for 5 yards go rewatch some film on Forest. Never said Forest was a LT, Amherst etc there you go reaching again, I said this Forest team is not the same Jefferson Forest you've seen, they are physical up front and got athletes to complement it.

My point is this JF will have to be more physical in all aspects of the game to win, if they don't play physical they lose, if they don't control the lines of scrimmage they lose, if they don't establish the run and run to set up the pass they lose. Defensively they just need to tackle well and don't give up chunk plays.

That was august this is december teams aren't the same. Those young boys grown up and know the Varsity level now, the teams have chemistry going its a lot different ball game than then. Secondly its a game won weekly, if you win this week you advance to next week the regular season is over. These stats of comparison don't matter, they play on Saturday. I don't care about what happened last week or weeks ago...Since the victory against the grove the mindset has been go dominate another 48 minutes against whoever they say come to Sabre stadium this week. All these games don't matter anymore it matters Saturday and who goes on to next week, I like that you looking forward to next year cause come Saturday start planning the end of the season banquet!

Last edited:
The Mules are the o-linemen. Why are you only focusing on the o-linemen? I gave birth to a fine Mule, and I can promise he doesn't wither ever for anyone. Are you confusing the O-linemen for the whole team? They are Spartans.

Last edited:
Running the football is a physical aspect of the game. JF don't pass it much ask HR6, but if y'all think that the boys from Forest aren't physical we'll see what happens come Friday night. If you think misdirection is why a back is untouched for 5 yards go rewatch some film on Forest. Its the big guys up front moving people around. There are LANES to run through, Forest is more physical than you expect. Forest is branding themselves into a physical style of team, the defense is playing catch up the offense got it down so far, never said Forest was a LT, Amherst etc there you go reaching again, I said this Forest team is not the same Jefferson Forest you've seen, they are physical up front and got athletes to complement it.

Well ND beat Texas
Texas beat Oklahoma,
but ND and Texas are both better than Oklahoma
which you see is circular logic.

My point is this JF will have to be more physical in all aspects of the game to win, if they don't play physical they lose, if they don't control the lines of scrimmage they lose, if they don't establish the run and run to set up the pass they lose. Defensively they just need to tackle well and don't give up chunk plays. Defense will win a game but offense has to score to make it possible. Personal opinion JF is the better team, that's who I'd put my money on but you can play red on this roulette round i'll play black one of us will win if you get my drift.

That was august this is december teams aren't the same. Those young boys grown up and know the Varsity level now, the teams have chemistry going its a lot different ball game than then. I don't care about what happened last week or weeks ago...Since the victory against the grove the mindset has been go dominate another 48 minutes against whoever they say come to Sabre stadium this week. The keys for forest to win is being more physical at the point of attack, its simple. I'm going to take the spread concept of my athletes in space and in one on ones, and this is what they do, its a matchup game if you give me this we taking that. You guys up front dominate the line and the backs will do what great backs do.
I don't disagree with most of what you are saying in this post. However, your original post was completely off base and lacked evidence to support your view that Salem has a weakness when it comes to playing a certain type of team. Salem will be the most physical, athletic and complete team JF has seen. Should be a great game!

No I just call the Spartans the mules, cause that's where their gameplay is henged upon. When they win their offensive line does its job, the system has been the same for years aint much changed but a few new wrinkles in the playbook.

No I just call the Spartans the mules, cause that's where their gameplay is henged upon. When they win their offensive line does its job, the system has been the same for years aint much changed but a few new wrinkles in the playbook.
I disagree.. Coach Mags version of Salem football is different than coach White's that many associate with Salem football. Salem can beat you by running right at you with a tough running game or use their athletes to run around you on the ground or by air. I wouldn't be surprised if they have nearly as many big chunk players this year as JF.

Reactions: mike salem
I don't disagree with most of what you are saying in this post. However, your original post was completely off base and lacked evidence to support your view that Salem has a weakness when it comes to playing a certain type of team. Salem will be the most physical, athletic and complete team JF has seen. Should be a great game!

I didn't feel like I needed to provide an essay's worth of evidence to back my opinion. I just wanted to emphasize Salem doesn't really lose frequently and when they are good it is generally a team that is better than Salem that knocks them off. It is not much of a fluke or something that is bewildering its generally a very good football team beating the Spartans not the Spartans beating themselves. I understand and emphasized Salem played fundamental disciplined physical football.

You all just take anything that isn't saying Salem is God's gift to football as blasphemy against the Spartans. Wither not the best choice of words, but if you constantly whip someone's ass for 48 minutes which is the goal of all 22 players on the field you eventually wear somebody down, hence a Derrick Henry is strong in the 4th cause people don't want to hit him.

Last edited:
I disagree.. Coach Mags version of Salem football is different than coach White's that many associate with Salem football. Salem can beat you by running right at you with a tough running game or use their athletes to run around you on the ground or by air. I wouldn't be surprised if they have nearly as many big chunk players this year as JF.

What is the base plays of the offense: ISO and Lead...everything else is fluff for the puff but you are entitled to your vision as i am mine but notice you didn't disagree that the offensive line is where Salem hangs it hat and pride and joy.

Didn't need to dig that far just referenced teams with a winning percent higher than 80% and you asked for evidence I provided it. JF is 24-1 or something close to that since the return of Christmas. Forest was one half away from this matchup last year.

Running the football is a physical aspect of the game. JF don't pass it much ask HR6, but if y'all think that the boys from Forest aren't physical we'll see what happens come Friday night. If you think misdirection is why a back is untouched for 5 yards go rewatch some film on Forest. Never said Forest was a LT, Amherst etc there you go reaching again, I said this Forest team is not the same Jefferson Forest you've seen, they are physical up front and got athletes to complement it.

My point is this JF will have to be more physical in all aspects of the game to win, if they don't play physical they lose, if they don't control the lines of scrimmage they lose, if they don't establish the run and run to set up the pass they lose. Defensively they just need to tackle well and don't give up chunk plays.

That was august this is december teams aren't the same. Those young boys grown up and know the Varsity level now, the teams have chemistry going its a lot different ball game than then. Secondly its a game won weekly, if you win this week you advance to next week the regular season is over. These stats of comparison don't matter, they play on Saturday. I don't care about what happened last week or weeks ago...Since the victory against the grove the mindset has been go dominate another 48 minutes against whoever they say come to Sabre stadium this week. All these games don't matter anymore it matters Saturday and who goes on to next week, I like that you looking forward to next year cause come Saturday start planning the end of the season banquet!
You provided evidence of other teams success against Salem from years previous, but that doesn't mean JF is one of those teams. Physical play is both sides of the ball. Obviously JF's line is providing enough of a hole for the backs to put on their track shoes. Salem will be the most physical defensive team JF has seen. On the other side Salem will be the most physical offensive team JF has seen. Salem is 26-1 the last 2 years for a reason.

I didn't reach you brought those teams up and implied JF was physically comparable to those teams.

Nobody said anything about the benefit game I said look at the points JF gave up against Amherst & PH.

I guess since JF has the mindset that they will dominate whoever comes to Sabre stadium then Salem should forfeit now. You don't think Salem has the same thought? JF has improved throughout the year, guess what? Salem has too.

Either of these teams could advance, we'll see about physical play.

What is the base plays of the offense: ISO and Lead...everything else is fluff for the puff but you are entitled to your vision as i am mine but notice you didn't disagree that the offensive line is where Salem hangs it hat and pride and joy.
Doesn't matter how simple or complicated your offense is, execution is the key. The lines are where games are won or lost.

Game played on Saturday, hope the mules spartans 300 and whomever else you all would like to bring etc come on down we will show you all grand time down here in Forest, Va. One thing we will do is come to play come kickoff and dominate whoever comes into our house, if we expect to win, prepare to win, and execute to win, heck we have damn good chance of winning. 48 minutes is all we got, if they want to forfeit cool but I'd rather see how Forest will fare against the Spartans. The mules better gear up, the backs better gear up, the whole team better gear up, JF better gear up as well because you got 48 minutes or you're going back home to watch somebody else fulfill your dreams of getting to play for a chance to win the state championship.

Now you see why I talk about physicality and execution up front nothing else really matters personal opinion, that's why great teams have beasts in the trenches who control the front. If you are more physical and control the line of scrimmage YOU WIN THE GAME OF INCHES. There are other things you must do as well but if you are more physical at the point of attack things fall in place as the game wears on.

After Saturday I'd like to see JF added to that list of special teams that knocked off a great Spartan team.

I didn't feel like I needed to provide an essay's worth of evidence to back my opinion. I just wanted to emphasize Salem doesn't really lose frequently and when they are good it is generally a team that is better than Salem that knocks them off. It is not much of a fluke or something that is bewildering its generally a very good football team beating the Spartans not the Spartans beating themselves. I understand and emphasized Salem played fundamental disciplined physical football.

You all just take anything that isn't saying Salem is God's gift to football as blasphemy against the Spartans. Wither not the best choice of words, but if you constantly whip someone's ass for 48 minutes which is the goal of all 22 players on the field you eventually wear somebody down, hence a Derrick Henry is strong in the 4th cause people don't want to hit him.
If you just made a pick for JF to win no one would have responded, you said JF was going to out physical Salem, hence the objection. You looked back 10 years and only found a few examples. JF is the favorite they are at home and everything appears even. Salem will be the underdog that's ok.

Game played on Saturday, hope the mules spartans 300 and whomever else you all would like to bring etc come on down we will show you all grand time down here in Forest, Va. One thing we will do is come to play come kickoff and dominate whoever comes into our house, if we expect to win, prepare to win, and execute to win, heck we have damn good chance of winning.
Dominate? You sure about that adjective Rainman?

Reactions: salemfan32
Game played on Saturday, hope the mules spartans 300 and whomever else you all would like to bring etc come on down we will show you all grand time down here in Forest, Va. One thing we will do is come to play come kickoff and dominate whoever comes into our house, if we expect to win, prepare to win, and execute to win, heck we have damn good chance of winning. 48 minutes is all we got, if they want to forfeit cool but I'd rather see how Forest will fare against the Spartans. The mules better gear up, the backs better gear up, the whole team better gear up, JF better gear up as well because you got 48 minutes or you're going back home to watch somebody else fulfill your dreams of getting to play for a chance to win the state championship.
I think I agreed with most everything you just said in this post except for the dominate part, very even teams. Nut up or shut up come Saturday night-agreed

There are a lot more examples than the ones i provided. I just added a disclaimer about those being teams with an 80% winning percentage there were only 5 teams in that span that had that record and those were their losses approximately this round and this level of talent why i'm alluding to JF having the makeup to beat the Spartans. It's all subjective to the lens or frame you choose to look at the statements out of, someone with no stake in this game looks at all these posts differently than someone with a stake in this game.

Now you see why I talk about physicality and execution up front nothing else really matters personal opinion, that's why great teams have beasts in the trenches who control the front. If you are more physical and control the line of scrimmage YOU WIN THE GAME OF INCHES. There are other things you must do as well but if you are more physical at the point of attack things fall in place as the game wears on.

After Saturday I'd like to see JF added to that list of special teams that knocked off a great Spartan team.
I definitely believe this is a special JF team and Coach Christmas is an awesome person. Those things will be true win or lose. Everyone from the West will get behind Saturday's winner to give the East representative 48 minutes of hell.

There are a lot more examples than the ones i provided. I just added a disclaimer about those being teams with an 80% winning percentage there were only 5 teams in that span that had that record and those were their losses approximately this round and this level of talent why i'm alluding to JF having the makeup to beat the Spartans. It's all subjective to the lens or frame you choose to look at the statements out of, someone with no stake in this game looks at all these posts differently than someone with a stake in this game.
JF is a worthy adversary and will bring 110% as will Salem. Should be a hard fought close ballgame.

One thing we will do is come to play come kickoff and dominate whoever comes into our house.
One more thing you may want to be aware of before Saturday's game... It's very possible the friendly confines of Sabre Stadium won't provide the home field advantage the Cavaliers are accustom to. There quite possibly could be as many Salem fans as JF fans in the stands. In addition, the playing surface itself won't be an advantage to either team due to the fact both teams play on turf. This will be the biggest crowd Sabre Stadium has ever seen.

There are a lot more examples than the ones i provided. I just added a disclaimer about those being teams with an 80% winning percentage there were only 5 teams in that span
Can't be a lot of examples during that span. Remember 19 loses in 10 years. Your 80% winning percentage comment doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: salemfan32
Can't be a lot of examples during that span. Remember 19 loses in 10 years. Your 80% winning percentage comment doesn't make much sense.

The Salem teams I referenced before I spoke about their losses were Salem teams that had a winning percentage of 80% for the season thus meaning they essentially loss less than or equal to 2 games. There were a myriad of seasons where the Spartans won 3/4 of their games which is a good feat but I was searching for more narrow lens to exemplify i'm not talking about basic teams or just your standard fanatic saying we are good. They have lost to average teams but I was focusing on the Spartans that actually were deep playoff contenders not just pretenders.

The Salem teams I referenced before I spoke about their losses were Salem teams that had a winning percentage of 80% for the season thus meaning they essentially loss less than or equal to 2 games. There were a myriad of seasons where the Spartans won 3/4 of their games which is a good feat but I was searching for more narrow lens to exemplify i'm not talking about basic teams or just your standard fanatic saying we are good. They have lost to average teams but I was focusing on the Spartans that actually were deep playoff contenders not just pretenders.
Ok thank you for clearing that up. Makes more sense now.

Salem 38-JF 21 I've been pretty spot on all year with my predictions! ;) Defense will make stops and offense will be stellar!

Salem 48 JF 32, I have seen both teams and it will come down to who can get stops. Salem's defense is better than JFs, that is the difference in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT