ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone have anything football related?

Just a few thoughts before the game and then I will be quite
1.Sure hope there are some police at the game ready to handle traffic and parking
2. Don't be suprised if the score is much lower than people might think---two great ground games that will run the clock keeping the defense off the field.
3. Special teams could decide issue
4. Turnovers will probably decide the issue
5. I hope the officials are a non issue but don't be suprised if there are some holding calls that neither team has seen much this year
6. Half time adjustments will be huge.
7. Salem defense will be the fastest defense JF has seen this year
8. JF offense will be the fastest Salem has seen this year
9. Salem offense will be the best offense JF has seen all year
10. Win or lose Salem should be very very good again next year-------JF will be good but there should be a significant fall off-----the road to the State Finals will still go through Salem
11. Isn't it wild that rainman had to go back 10 years to find four games that he felt Salem got out physicalled---I do not agree that they were out physicalled in those games but every once in a while you run into teams that just have more athletes than you do. You try to compensate with being disciplined and fundamentally sound but sometimes those athletes just make plays. That was the case in the Lake Taylor game last year----But if I can paraphrase Loyd Benson--- I have seen Lake Taylor, We are familiar with Lake Taylor, Mr. Rainman, Jefferson Forest is no Lake Taylor.
The only thing I disagree with is #7. Salem defense will be the best overall that JF has seen but I doubt the fastest. Don't forget that JF plays in the Seminole District with teams like EC Glass, Heritage, and Amherst...neither three had an overall defense the caliber of Salem's but all three probably have more speed on D than Salem. With that being said, it should be a great game.

This is the first game all season that from watching film I have thought "this will be a solid game and could go either way." Very anxious!!

This has gone to the realm of silliness. JF is very good. So is Salem. With the offenses as they are, I see this as one of the most exciting games of the year. This talk of physicality is out of place now. We'll see tomorrow. GL to both. I'll certainly be watching.

Reactions: VolNation85
Salem 38-JF 21 I've been pretty spot on all year with my predictions! ;) Defense will make stops and offense will be stellar!
I know Salem has an outstanding defense but I would be shocked if they held JF to just 3 touchdowns. If they kick to Cam and Navy enough, they WILL return one for a TD, it seems inevitable.

I know Salem has an outstanding defense but I would be shocked if they held JF to just 3 touchdowns. If they kick to Cam and Navy enough, they WILL return one for a TD, it seems inevitable.
I spotted them 2 more touchdowns than the starting D has given up this year. :) And you've lost your mind if you kick it to Cam and Navy!

Sure seems to me that Mag's won't kick ANYTHING that JF can return. i'd squib everything and no punt would be in bounds.

Sure seems to me that Mag's won't kick ANYTHING that JF can return. i'd squib everything and no punt would be in bounds.
That would be the smart thing to call BUT, the players still have to execute. It can be difficult for a high school punter to intentionally kick the ball out of bounds without shanking it. Punting accuracy is definitely a skill that most do not have.

That would be the smart thing to call BUT, the players still have to execute. It can be difficult for a high school punter to intentionally kick the ball out of bounds without shanking it. Punting accuracy is definitely a skill that most do not have.
Who cares if it's a shank. Just don't give up a quick TD. As far as punting is concerned anyway, with the JF Defense, I don't see the Spartan Punter on the field more than a couple of times, if at all. If I were Salem, I wouldn't give the ball back to JF unless I was within my own 30 and more than a lot to go. Personally, I would go for it on 4th down all night. Spartans are so balanced, JF can not stop them from getting 10 yards in 4 downs.

Not a bad blueprint and I've used history before to support arguments. Guilty there. But each team must be measured on their own. Players change every year. The programs remain consistent.

Salem is well Coached. The traditions are there. The line of Spartan players runs consistent. They know what's expected. They reload. They do not rebuild.

Punch them is something to try but look at their record. They have not beaten everyone so far. They've crushed them with a balanced and talented offense and a hard nosed defense. You simply cannot ignore that fact. Have they played anyone the caliber of LT, Courtland or JF? Absolutely not. But don't think for a second they can be punched in the mouth by any of the potential opponents put in front of them. Spartans punch back. They may not win but they will be there to play.
But have they also played anyone to the caliber of those same teams? That can be said for both....

Reactions: rainman17
But have they also played anyone to the caliber of those same teams? That can be said for both....
Actually no. LT and Courtland have both played some high caliber teams. At least 3 on each schedule are tougher than anyone on JFs or Salem's games to date. This is why the East will be again favored to win the Final. Doesn't mean they will win but they will be favored.

Actually no. LT and Courtland have both played some high caliber teams. At least 3 on each schedule are tougher than anyone on JFs or Salem's games to date. This is why the East will be again favored to win the Final. Doesn't mean they will win but they will be favored.
That's what I'm saying I though u were saying Salem hasn't played anyone compared to JF. Was saying they both the same in regards to scheduling. Now the east scheduling has been tougher this year. Courtland LT has had tough schedules but JF?

JF schedule isn't A+ overall but the did play teams like magna vista, Patrick Henry, Amherst, etc. Again, not great, but a challenge

Reactions: OCBoy
JF schedule isn't A+ overall but the did play teams like magna vista, Patrick Henry, Amherst, etc. Again, not great, but a challenge
Very similar schedule to what Salem had to deal with. Neither team played a murders row but each team did what they needed to and dominated just about everyone that was placed in front of them. Very difficult game to pick. JF is the #1 seed and will be favored to win. I look forward to seeing how Salem responds to being the underdog. I believe the response will be positive.

salem takes care of business , who you all foolin at JF , if you can't play D, it will always bite you at the dance. Salem in the end 42-28.

Agree but it's nothing compared to LT Courtlands schedule

JF defense will surprise you buddy. I also wouldn't say JF is the favorite. Very even if not Salem being the favorite, seeds mean nothing at this point

JF defense will surprise you buddy. I also wouldn't say JF is the favorite. Very even if not Salem being the favorite, seeds mean nothing at this point
I'm fine with you thinking Salem is favored. Hopefully we will live up to that expectation. However, I can all but guarantee you that if Vegas had their hands on this game JF would be favored to win. This is probably the biggest home game in the history of that school. This is JF's Super Bowl and Salem will have to play their best to win. The good thing is I believe Salem has the players and the coaches to pull off the upset. 45-38 Salem

salem takes care of business , who you all foolin at JF , if you can't play D, it will always bite you at the dance. Salem in the end 42-28.
I said essentially the same thing before JF played Woodgrove. A very strong team on both sides of the ball. That got me REAL far in the pickem'. So what I haven't considered before is that JF scores so fast and so often that their defense probably spends a lot more time on the field than the offense. Perhaps this is why they surrender more points than most "Championship" teams?

I still see this one as a shoot out.

I'm fine with you thinking Salem is favored. Hopefully we will live up to that expectation. However, I can all but guarantee you that if Vegas had their hands on this game JF would be favored to win. This is probably the biggest home game in the history of that school. This is JF's Super Bowl and Salem will have to play their best to win. The good thing is I believe Salem has the players and the coaches to pull off the upset. 45-38 Salem
There may be a surprise or two today but with the quality of everyone playing, none should be considered an upset. GL to all.

Oh in about 6 hours we will see who is ready to knock some heads and who will roll over and submit the victory

Are you shocked? :)
Lol, honestly, I am. I never said it wouldn't happen nor did I ever say Salem wouldn't win. I just said I would be shocked and that I am. As I said from the beginning, I'm not a Salem or JF fan so the outcome really didn't matter to me but I did think JF would have scored more. Hats off to the Salem coaching staff for having a game plan to slow JF's offense. It was also very smart for them to not kick to Navy or Cam, that definitely played a part in limiting them to only three TD's.

Lol, honestly, I am. I never said it wouldn't happen nor did I ever say Salem wouldn't win. I just said I would be shocked and that I am. As I said from the beginning, I'm not a Salem or JF fan so the outcome really didn't matter to me but I did think JF would have scored more. Hats off to the Salem coaching staff for having a game plan to slow JF's offense. It was also very smart for them to not kick to Navy or Cam, that definitely played a part in limiting them to only three TD's.
The better team won and it doesn't take rocket science to keep the ball out of the hands of the other teams best players.

JF helped a lot more than one could have imagined but no question the Salem defense did a nice job. They ran a 5 - 2 defense, stayed with their assignments and the LB's did an outstanding job getting sideline to sideline. The tackling was spot on. Those Spartans really know how to wrap up. Might have been their best performance of the year. They came to play. That's what Champions do. Well done and GL next week at Liberty.

JF helped a lot more than one could have imagined but no question the Salem defense did a nice job. They ran a 5 - 2 defense, stayed with their assignments and the LB's did an outstanding job getting sideline to sideline. The tackling was spot on. Those Spartans really know how to wrap up. Might have been their best performance of the year. They came to play. That's what Champions do. Well done and GL next week at Liberty.
Salem always runs a 5-2 and that probably helped them. A lot of other teams have probably had to play a defense like that against the JF running game but for Salem, it is their normal base defense that they are comfortable in.

You said it was good coaching not to kick to the deep guys on kickoffs. I think it's common sense!
I agree. I guess I should have said it was a good thing that the Salem staff wasn't too prideful not to kick to Navy and Cam. Believe it or not, I have seen teams (mine included) kick to them all year long. For whatever reason

Reactions: close2salem
I agree. I guess I should have said it was a good thing that the Salem staff wasn't too prideful not to kick to Navy and Cam. Believe it or not, I have seen teams (mine included) kick to them all year long. For whatever reason
I've seen many a team use their backup players on special teams and kick it deep to teams that have their best players returning...I know they want to get the young guys action but kick it away from the threat to take it to the house

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT