ADVERTISEMENT

Down to the Final Elite 8 Teams

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Region A Championship - #2 Northumberland (10-2) at #1 Essex (12-0)

Region B Championship - #3 Altavista (9-3) at #1 Sussex Central (11-1)

Region C Championship - #5 Galax (8-4) at #3 George Wythe (9-3)

Region D Championship - #2 Rye Cove (11-1) at #1 Honaker (12-0)

Last edited:
So we have 3 out of 4 #1 seeds still alive in the Class 1 State Championship hunt (Regions A, B, & D).

We have 2 out of 4 #2 seeds still alive in the Class 1 State Championship hunt (Regions A & D).

Neither of the top 2 Region C seeds survived to battle each other in the 1C Regional Final.

However, not really too surprising as the remaining Region C teams are perennial Western powers. Should be a fascinating one.

While I am pulling for the Northumberland Indians to pull the stunning upset this weekend and I have Sussex as a slight favorite at home, the possibility of an Altavista v Essex State match-up would be rather interesting for those who remember their two consecutive state championship battles in Salem not that long ago.

Should be some great Regional Championship games!

Last edited:
Elite is a rather generous term in a couple cases. I will let you stew on who that is referring to.
I see what you may be implying. However, I think that the Final Elite 8, for the most part, does apply.

Of course, it's a play on the Final Elite 8 terminology during the NCAA March Madness. No matter who survives, even if no #1 seeds make it for example, which has happened, they are still considered the elite 8 teams no matter how high or low the seed.

Reactions: trutiger16
1) We have five #1 and #2 seeds left out of the final eight.

2) 7 of the final 8 teams in the 2023 playoffs were ranked in the 2023 preseason Top 10 by Virginia Preps.

The only one not ranked in the Top 10 preseason was Altavista (but they were ranked later in the season) A-town also has two state titles in the last decade.

Both teams from Region A and C were ranked by VA Preps in the 2022 Final Top 10 last year as well.

I don't think that the other four teams were at the time.

I am not interested in your opinion of Class 1 at this time.
Did I get banned from posting about Class 1? That’s right I didn’t and I have an opinion. All of these teams are very good but elite is a stretch for several. You read in what you want while you are at home practicing for basketball.

Reactions: REDDEVILS00
Did I get banned from posting about Class 1? That’s right I didn’t and I have an opinion. All of these teams are very good but elite is a stretch for several. You read in what you want while you are at home practicing for basketball.
RedPrideNation...I always enjoy your opinions and have zero problems with perspectives different than my own.

In WP02alum's defense, I think that he saw your comments as meant to be an insult to many teams (which could be interpreted that way for sure).

Reactions: WP02alum
RedPrideNation -

Even though for past 6-7 years you kept trying to downplay every week how much better Riverheads was than almost all of the other teams in Class 1 and Class 2...

"It's gonna be really close and a hard, tough battle this week" you'd say no matter who was the opponent and often I would reply "yea, if you think winning by 3 to 5 TDs is close" lol.

However, I understand what you were trying to do.

I hope that the Big Red Machine keeps on rolling and wins the Class 2 State Championship (well, at least for this year).

Fair enough but I have read far worse. Objectively anyone can be beat in any game so I wasn’t trying to “aw shucks”. When I state I think a team has a shot I legitimately believe that. Madison County week before last has the pieces to win and had a punchers chance against Riverheads. IMO the QB got rattled and never settled in so the score is a little misleading. I had told my buddy’s that with their big line I looked for it to be close until 3rd quarter. They had 5 turnovers in the first quarter alone. Doesn’t mean I was wrong for thinking they could have made it a game.

Now when I look out at Region A there are several teams I look for. A few years ago when Westmoreland came out in 2019 in what was supposed to be a home and home, I was impressed with the caliber of player and looked forward to the second game in that series. It never materialized but I do still watch their scores. Obviously I look to see what Essex is doing and in different years Northumberland, King and Queen and the rest of the region.

Again it wasn’t intended to necessarily be a slight to anyone left and their accomplishments but I wouldn’t use the word elite on but 4 teams left.

Lol, I’m a grown man who doesn’t live and die by my Alma mater’s football performance. Not sure you want to see me play basketball. I’m just saying, your unkind opinion about whether the remaining Class 1 teams are “elite” is kinda unimportant to me.

Elite compared to what standard? Y’know?

Fair enough but I have read far worse. Objectively anyone can be beat in any game so I wasn’t trying to “aw shucks”. When I state I think a team has a shot I legitimately believe that. Madison County week before last has the pieces to win and had a punchers chance against Riverheads. IMO the QB got rattled and never settled in so the score is a little misleading. I had told my buddy’s that with their big line I looked for it to be close until 3rd quarter. They had 5 turnovers in the first quarter alone. Doesn’t mean I was wrong for thinking they could have made it a game.

Now when I look out at Region A there are several teams I look for. A few years ago when Westmoreland came out in 2019 in what was supposed to be a home and home, I was impressed with the caliber of player and looked forward to the second game in that series. It never materialized but I do still watch their scores. Obviously I look to see what Essex is doing and in different years Northumberland, King and Queen and the rest of the region.

Again it wasn’t intended to necessarily be a slight to anyone left and their accomplishments but I wouldn’t use the word elite on but 4 teams left.
I got you. Of course, anyone could technically get defeated on any given day but there are some teams that hardly ever lose (currently Georgia in the FBS for example...used to be Bama and so on).

Elite status is relative, my friend.

By the standard that I think you are using, then I would say that Essex is easily the only elite team this year.

Reactions: WP02alum
I would argue that in any of the 6 classes in the state of Virginia, the final 8 remaining teams are all the elite teams at least this season, if not often an elite program like a Phoebus etc.

Honaker and Rye Cove probably cannot defeat an Essex or a Riverheads (just being honest). However, they are and have earned the right to be called the elite teams of Region D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT