ADVERTISEMENT

Essex 16 Sussex 0....11:56 in 2nd Q. Nm

I would say the Trojans gave Coach Jones a fine BD present tonight (was told he had BD yesterday I believe).

A bit different outcome than last year as Coach Jones and his players are now in full stride - I'd say Essex is much better than last season and Sussex graduated their top kids and is way young.

Good luck to Sussex on the season. Gonna be tough for anyone to knock off Essex.

Congrats to you Essex guys. I never expected any other outcome. UVACavs1 said it. One team is reaching maturity, the other one is an adolescent. Enjoy a fine season.

Reactions: Optimal62
I would say the Trojans gave Coach Jones a fine BD present tonight (was told he had BD yesterday I believe).

A bit different outcome than last year as Coach Jones and his players are now in full stride - I'd say Essex is much better than last season and Sussex graduated their top kids and is way young.

Good luck to Sussex on the season. Gonna be tough for anyone to knock off Essex.

Dare I say, Essex vs Riverheads rematch on the horizon...

Sussex is young this year. Next week it’s Franklin @ Essex. Franklin was young last year. Could be a better game facing them with there ODU WR commit.

Reactions: Eaglepride89
Essex might not have a competitive game until the state semis
King William should be a test next week. They should be much improved from last year. 3A Thomas Jefferson in Richmond gave 2A top 10 Goochland a run Friday night. Goochland escaped with a 14-7 win. We face TJ in week 6 in Richmond. W&L, Colonial Beach should all be good games. I know one thing, Essex will face multiple styles of offenses.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Agree with whoever posted on Colonial Beach. Keep your eyes on them. Essex is far and away the favorite, but Colonial Beach is good enough and athletic enough to keep it close if Essex turns over 3 times. As one poster in the 2A board wrote, Goochland and T. Jefferson was a 7 point game and the final score matters of course. But, if you look into what happened, Goochland had 5 turnovers to 1 for TJ. Goochland had 263 total yds to TJeffersons grand total of....26 total yds. Odds are, Goochland ain't turning over 5 times twice in a season and TJ wouldnt play a near perfect game (by odds) if they played again. Again, I know, only a 7 point game, but Goochland played nearly as poor as possible and the opposite for Thomas Jefferson and didn't double them in total yds....they had ten times the total yds. Colonial Beach will be more of a threat to Essex than Thomas Jefferson will.

One final thing. I know Rhappy and W and Lee are supposed to be better, but Essex beat both of them by a combined score of 86-0 last year. Even playing on the road, Wash and Lee ain't getting within 3 TDs. The good for Essex is, Colonial Beach is on the road at Essex, but Essex does play at TJ if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Essex Trojan1
lol last years Essex Rapp score has nothing to do with this year. Everyone in the NNK knows the end of Rapps season ended with a few key players injured and not being able to play

lol last years Essex Rapp score has nothing to do with this year. Everyone in the NNK knows the end of Rapps season ended with a few key players injured and not being able to play

So, are you saying Rapps the tougher game for Essex compared to Colonial Beach, Thomas Jefferson, and Washington and Lee?

Lasts years Rapps score has a little something to do with this year's games as it relates to which of Essex games are the toughest. The ability of Essex to win regardless of the Rapps injuries is a mental positive for their returning players. Washington and Lee and Colonial Beach return MORE than Rapp. It's very reasonable to conclude these two games might be tougher. TJ with its sheer size and pretty good defense is about the same as last year and that game was 8 points difference with Essex.

In order......toughest games for Essex are Colonial Beach and close second TJ, followed by Wash and Lee on the road. Rapp ain't getting within 3 scores of the Trojans. And in 2019, we can discuss how 2017 and 2018 didn't matter with Rapp and Essex. Fact is, the year before matters very little, but it does matter "some." No matter how little, it plays a smart part in gauging the strength of teams when considering what they return, and in my opinion, to say it doesn't matter at all is not accurate.. Essex returns more than Rapp, so if Rapp gets injured up again this year, the score will be far worse than last year. I got it 45-14 in favor of Essex this year.

Don’t sleep on King William.

I hope that KW will turn it around. They look to be going in the right direction for sure!

The two 2A teams I pull for are KW and Goochland. Best wishes to them both.

Plus, I would think that Northumberland and KW would be a good game. Too bad CC cancelled their games so late it may have worked (jmo). Heck, I've said for years KW should just join the NND. I think that it would be better for KW plus most Neck and Tidewater schools.

exactly where are you getting these "return figures"? According to Rapp times article, Rapp returns 17 starters, Essex returns 12, W&L returns 12, & CB returns 14.
I wont make a prediction on Rapp vs Essex just yet but I'll go ahead & say W&L will put numbers up on Essex.

A team with a good passing game will beat Essex they don't royal flush on defense. LBs & CBs are going to be the down fall for NNKs Alabama team mark my words. D-line is one of the best in the state but the back end can't hold up

I may be way off but I am gonna guess cover everyone. A Royal Flush does that in poker so I will assume that was what the reference was intending.

Eithet way it probably means nothing, because I don’t think there are too many pass heavy teams in 1A. Chilhowie if they have time but most teams are run heavy or at least lean primarily to the run. It’s hard to find the athletes to run those type O’s in the two lower divisions, although there are some that try it.

You have to fit tje scheme to your kids or put the kids in the right place to execute your O. The goods ones always find the players they need to at least be somewhat successful. Unfortunately, I have seen where others placate to the parents and the team gals off the proverbial cliff.

There’s one thing about most spread teams here in Region A 1A, not many have the O lines to provide there QBs time to throw when going up against a good D line and pass rushing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdavis54
There’s one thing about most spread teams here in Region A 1A, not many have the O lines to provide there QBs time to throw when going up against a good D line and pass rushing.

Sounds like Essex Trojan1 knows that Essex has a very good D&O Line but the back end is a average. I got Franklin with the upset this week & Essex losing 3 or 4 games. King William on the road very tuff game, easy win at home against Surry, Thomas Jefferson on the road & Northumberland on the road back to back Essex will split those games (1-1), CB & Lancaster at home should be two wins, W&L on the road should a good game & Rapp at home will a good one also (1-1). So Franklin, King William, Northumberland, Colonial Beach, Thomas Jefferson, W&L, & Rappahannock. My prediction is that Essex will lose 4 of 8 games against those teams.

Sounds like Essex Trojan1 knows that Essex has a very good D&O Line but the back end is a average. I got Franklin with the upset this week & Essex losing 3 or 4 games. King William on the road very tuff game, easy win at home against Surry, Thomas Jefferson on the road & Northumberland on the road back to back Essex will split those games (1-1), CB & Lancaster at home should be two wins, W&L on the road should a good game & Rapp at home will a good one also (1-1). So Franklin, King William, Northumberland, Colonial Beach, Thomas Jefferson, W&L, & Rappahannock. My prediction is that Essex will lose 4 of 8 games against those teams.
To be honest, and just my opinion, Essex was never strong in the DB category. That was the weak part of our D for multiple years... even when we were making it to the State Semi/State Championships. Nothing new there. But we do enough to keep winning games.

You are delusional.. the only games Essex might list are CB and TJ.

I want some of whatever you are smoking on lol @Wizard97

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT