ADVERTISEMENT

Essex 27 King William 8 Final...

Essex Trojan1

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
May 17, 2009
Still a lot to clean up on Offense. Multiple turnovers by Essex. Flags didn't help either. But...Showing improvement from the last 2 games. This was a much needed win tonight. Good job fellas. King William came out throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us. Crazy formations. None worked. Essex left two touchdowns on the field. One right before half time with seconds remaining from the 1 yard line. The ball carrier, in my opinion didn't hit the hole hard enough. Hesitated to long before running and got stuffed. The other was a big run to the outside for 30 or 40 yards or so that got called back for a holding call. Nevertheless still some things to work on. But we are getting there. Next week my Trojans head south west to the Richmond area to play 5A Deep Run

Essex Trojan, I was looking for Essex score tonight. Congrats on the win. Looks like
The offense is improving, but you guys are going to play 5A Deep Run next week.....
One thing for sure, Essex does not back down on the Big Schools. Stay healthy,
My Friend!

Essex Trojan, I was looking for Essex score tonight. Congrats on the win. Looks like
The offense is improving, but you guys are going to play 5A Deep Run next week.....
One thing for sure, Essex does not back down on the Big Schools. Stay healthy,
My Friend!
Our D is solid. Only been scored on 3 times and 2 of those were from 4A King George last week. All other score were pick 6's from offense. Allowing just 7 points per game average is pretty good. Yes...5A Deep Run. They not the elite level 5A (2-8 last year) but still a 5A. Last year we played them at Essex and won 41-7.

I'll go ahead and say you guys will go 8-2 or 7-3 this year, and will be primed
For November playoffs. Just my thoughts...........

8-2....Guess we gotta win out since we already have 2 loses. Hahahaha!!! I think we can win our 5 district games but we will be facing 5A Deep Run who has a new coach and run the triple option, bye week and then it's 3A power James Monroe. Could very well finish as a 6-4 or 7-3 team. Prove me wrong Trojans.

Reactions: Chilwar25
I don't know how many players Essex returned this year but they were probably the best team Galax faced last year. I'm sure they will be fine and come playoff time everybody had better watch out.

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
Mt Fan, you are Exactly correct. I have said each week , and the season is young;
Watch out for Essex! These guys don't dodge anyone. They play anyone from 1A
To 5A. They are getting better each week.

They have true athletes all over the field.They have guys that weigh nearly 400 lbs
that move like 200 lb players. Maybe, Defensively, the best in A1. They are improving
on Offense each day.

I look for Essex and Riverheads to battle it out for the best in the 1A East.
I look for Galax to face off with George Wythe for the best in the 1A West. We will
Get a preview Friday, when Galax plays GW in Wytheville. It should be a classic!

I don't know how many players Essex returned this year but they were probably the best team Galax faced last year. I'm sure they will be fine and come playoff time everybody had better watch out.
Essex returned 5 on offense and 5 on defense. Biggest hit was O line and QB. Breaking in a couple new RBs as well to help out last years freshman RB who is now the QB. Last night the coaches tried some things that got the offense going in the right direction. Still gotta cut out those turnovers and penalties. 7 games and a bye week to go to get it all together for the playoffs. Good luck to Galax this coming week.

Mt Fan, you are Exactly correct. I have said each week , and the season is young;
Watch out for Essex! These guys don't dodge anyone. They play anyone from 1A
To 5A. They are getting better each week.

They have true athletes all over the field.They have guys that weigh nearly 400 lbs
that move like 200 lb players. Maybe, Defensively, the best in A1. They are improving
on Offense each day.

I look for Essex and Riverheads to battle it out for the best in the 1A East.
I look for Galax to face off with George Wythe for the best in the 1A West. We will
Get a preview Friday, when Galax plays GW in Wytheville. It should be a classic!
Don't forget about Sussex. They are loaded!!! Speed and very physical.

Reactions: Chilwar25
I was trying to catch up on some newspaper reading while watching ECU take the lead against N.C. State (have lots of relatives graduate from both, Go Pirates!).

I noticed that the Richmond paper's two High School predictors both picked KW to defeat Essex. Kinda surprised me a tad. I could see one picking KW since they are in the Richmond "area." But both...

They probably just looked at the records and scores. Take a brief look at the details of the games, talent on teams, and also quite important, recent history. KW has lost to Essex for like 5 years in a row (Since Coach Fulks took over, maybe his 2nd year) by like 15 to 35 points each time.

The Pick 'em went to Essex like 27 to 3.

Also, in Richmond Friday paper article about 2A power Goochland started 2-0 for 1st time in 4 or 5 years (beating Essex and Fork Union). Great work to Dog's Coach Fowler's club!

Reactions: G-DOG2
Essex only gets covered by Richmond news stations if we're playing King William or Goochland. If we take those 2 teams off the schedule, we won't get tv news coverage until 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs...if we made it that far.

Goochland gets very little coverage from Richmond as well. We actually get more coverage from Charlottesville news organizations.

My opinion on Essex is that they have a championship caliber defense. The offense needs to clean up the turnovers and put the playmakers in the right position to be successful. The qb situation is not what it has been in previous years. That being said, the offense can have a ton of success with play calling and buying in to what the team has talent wise to be successful.

The season is still young and you want to build momentum as the season goes on and I know Coach Fulks will get them in position to be successful come playoff time.

Good luck to Essex for the rest of the season! I'll be rooting for y'all!!!

EssexTroj, Essex may not get much coverage in print in your area, but I will say that when
Essex is named in Football around our area, everyone perks up a bit. Traditionally, Essex
Has been known in our area for great athletes and speed, and those two combinations
Scares the crappie out of most people when you try to defend it on the field.
The best way to defend speed is to keep the ball away from your opposition.

If Essex has speed, with that size to open up a small hole in the D line, Essex RB's should
Develop as the season progresses and the O will improve each practice. I don't think that
Essex and Sussex play in the regular season. So we might have to wait until November
To see which one of those two are the strongest in the East.

It's the whole NND that don't really get covered unless it's in our own local papers. W&L and Colonial Beach get some shine in the Fredericksburg paper. It's no big deal. I was just adding something to uvacavs1 post. We don't play Sussex during regular season. We played them in the 3rd and won 35-20. It was a close game for awhile. We did scrimmage Sussex in our last scrimmage along with Middlesex. We both (Essex/Sussex) battled with our starters in most of the time and no one scored. It was a very physical scrimmage between the 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT