ADVERTISEMENT

Essex vs Riverheads best matchup in 10 years for 1A

Wanted to bump this back up and give a shout to @trutiger16 for calling it. That was a very good game and one where both teams screwed up and both had some excellent plays. It was tight all the way and that’s about all you want these games to be. It’s a testament to both programs to play at that high a level for as long as they have.

ps-before anyone starts hollering it was sloppy because of the turnovers, the defenses had a good bit to do with that.

Wanted to bump this back up and give a shout to @trutiger16 for calling it. That was a very good game and one where both teams screwed up and both had some excellent plays. It was tight all the way and that’s about all you want these games to be. It’s a testament to both programs to play at that high a level for as long as they have.

ps-before anyone starts hollering it was sloppy because of the turnovers, the defenses had a good bit to do with that.
Probably one of the best officiated games I have seen all year in that the officials let the kids play. Saw quite a few penalties on both sides that could have been called but they let the kids decide it on the field. Kudos to them.

One of the few closely played games I've ever seen where one of the teams is not penalized. The Essex QB had it roughest outing of the season and with the exception of two players the Essex OL could match Riverheads defensive front size-wise. I know lots of Essex folks were perturbed that the officials let several Riverheads rushing plays keep going after they appeared to be stopped only to be pushed forward. The Riverheads backs are big but are good at yards after initial contact and getting into that wedge of blockers and making themselves hard to locate.

Was a good game. Really thought Essex had the team to knock off riverheads, but your not going to win any state semi final with 5 turnovers. Riverheads defense played great and put them in a great position to win that game. It will be exciting to add them to 2A football next season. Essex should reload and be in the same position again next season.

The "scrum" play that NND described seems to be a fairly new concept to football in general but you see it at all levels these days. I guess the officials just have to make a judgment call about when forward progress has been stopped. I have seen teams push the ball as far as an extra 20 yards and I have seen touchdowns scored on that kind of play many times.

The "scrum" play that NND described seems to be a fairly new concept to football in general but you see it at all levels these days. I guess the officials just have to make a judgment call about when forward progress has been stopped. I have seen teams push the ball as far as an extra 20 yards and I have seen touchdowns scored on that kind of play many times.
I agree completely and I cannot decide if I like it or not. Lol. I like it but I cringe every time as I am afraid someone is going to get injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT