ADVERTISEMENT

EV vs Laf recap

Aug 11, 2014
The score doesn't reflect it, these two teams were not that far apart. I would give Laf. the slight edge in most categories even though at halftime I thought we were the better team. There was certainly an impact to the game in the second half by officials and it all happen within a 5 or 7 mins span. EV just lost their composure after that and couldn't regain it. AND at the same time Laf. seem to ramp up their intensity. There were a few blown calls right in front of EV coaches and fans which sent everyone into a frenzy. At one point EV even had 5 downs in a series where they didn't get a first down :) . The officials seem to lose their heads for a bit. Laf.'s scheme to stop EV was pretty simple.. they brought the house and challenged our QB to make things happen. They didn't just stack the box with 7 or 8, they rushed 7 all game. The LB's for Laf played well. EV made many more mistakes than they have all season.. so that pressure worked pretty well. We didn't execute enough to spread them out wide, which just gave Laf. the ability to add more pressure. I know it will be hard to do right now, but EV will learn from this and they have to be excited for next year, as the major core of this team returns. This years seniors, like years before, have left the program better than it was last November.

Reactions: OCBoy
I never caught the 5 down series for EV myself- a little too excited I guess. On our side we did notice that one time the fans and players were in a frenzy but being on the other side of field we didn't have a clue! On penalties Lafayette had 12-107 vs EV 5-33, so the refs were not on our side. Our DE even got a 15 yarder for complaining to ref he was being held. First time I have seen that without a warning first and he was over 10 yards walking away when thrown.

Stats:
Rushing- EV 34-80; Laf 43-349
Passing- EV 10-20-2 for 224; Laf
5-10-0 for 90
First Downs: Laf-20 ; EV - 8
Punts - pretty even
Fumbles- EV 3-2; Laf- 0-0

Biggest surprise- EV big offensive line had trouble with Lafayette defensive front and Lb. The EV big Ko return (with face mask on top of it) ticked me off because we knew we should be squibing it - #3 was quick and so small he was hard to grab! #10 was a great receiver and was dangerous all game. Gave up a few more yards passing than I wanted (but expected from a spread offense) but made up with two key Pick 6 Ints. The wind was blowing pretty good but the effects may have been an advantage to EV as their 2 punts with the wind went to our 2 and 1 yard lines. Tough spots! EV was a tough bunch and no wonder they came in 12-0. Game was clean all around.

Not sure I would say the O line had trouble with the D line. I would say that blocking 7 guys with 5 guys was trouble. Our backs don't traditionally block well as they are typically smaller backs. We switched up and brought in TE sets for blocking with some success, but not enough. Like I said.. the LB's played really well. The Laf, game plan was very similar to other teams that elected to stop the run, but also had enough skill players to cover the WR's. I would of liked to have seen us adjust and bring in 7 lineman and challenge the box. I do think the better team moved on, but I also think we could have beaten them. I wouldn't say it was a clean game (and all penalties aren't created equal, usually timing matters). The hold call on our TD was not a good call and the no call when the Laf RB moved before the snap on a Laf TD was a bad no call. BUT we needed to calm down and play our game. You go on the road, you are going to get calls against you (no matter what anyone says, it happens, it's part of HS football). I hope Laf. gives Dinwiddie a good run for their money!!!

The score doesn't reflect it, these two teams were not that far apart. I would give Laf. the slight edge in most categories even though at halftime I thought we were the better team. There was certainly an impact to the game in the second half by officials and it all happen within a 5 or 7 mins span. EV just lost their composure after that and couldn't regain it. AND at the same time Laf. seem to ramp up their intensity. There were a few blown calls right in front of EV coaches and fans which sent everyone into a frenzy. At one point EV even had 5 downs in a series where they didn't get a first down :) . The officials seem to lose their heads for a bit. Laf.'s scheme to stop EV was pretty simple.. they brought the house and challenged our QB to make things happen. They didn't just stack the box with 7 or 8, they rushed 7 all game. The LB's for Laf played well. EV made many more mistakes than they have all season.. so that pressure worked pretty well. We didn't execute enough to spread them out wide, which just gave Laf. the ability to add more pressure. I know it will be hard to do right now, but EV will learn from this and they have to be excited for next year, as the major core of this team returns. This years seniors, like years before, have left the program better than it was last November.
How much of that offensive line returns?

How much of that offensive line returns?

3 starters..

Neville.. I did not say this game was close, I said the teams are not that far a part.. This game was 7-0 at half.. and could easily have been 7-0 EV at half. Like I said, EV lost composure and didn't regain it. I'm not sure about those stats either.. If you left at half, you had to think EV was the better team. We did more in the first half. You are right the game didn't end up to be a close game, but my point is neither team really stood out on their own. I've been at many games where it was obvious who the better team was. This was not one of those games.

We'll have to disagree. If I left at half I watched Lafayette take control with a 98 yard drive and lead 7-0. And about to get the ball back to open the 2nd half. Yes, a close game up to that point but I thought that drive turned the game.

I stayed for the 2nd half and then it was quickly 21-0. Then, as you pointed out, the train started coming off the tracks from a composure issue. Too bad, because those kids deserved better.

That's a crazy comment ("those kids deserve better"). The coaches did more for these kids than you can know. We have had more talented teams do less.. that's not just about the kids, that's about the coaches as well. They have gotten better after each year as well. I will move on now since I don't feel like you are speaking without emotion..

3 starters..

Neville.. I did not say this game was close, I said the teams are not that far a part.. This game was 7-0 at half.. and could easily have been 7-0 EV at half. Like I said, EV lost composure and didn't regain it. I'm not sure about those stats either.. If you left at half, you had to think EV was the better team. We did more in the first half. You are right the game didn't end up to be a close game, but my point is neither team really stood out on their own. I've been at many games where it was obvious who the better team was. This was not one of those games.
Stats are the official ones from the Daily Press newspaper for the Tidewater area.

Laf.'s scheme to stop EV was pretty simple.. they brought the house and challenged our QB to make things happen. They didn't just stack the box with 7 or 8, they rushed 7 all game. The LB's for Laf played well. EV made many more mistakes than they have all season.. so that pressure worked pretty well.
Is this the first time this season for a team to do that against EV? If so, I can't believe it, I was waiting for it since the Orange game. Seemed like an easy team to bring everyone against. LT would've lived in EV's backfield.

I'm not suprised EV lost their composure.... It happens every year. It starts with their AD to their HC to their Assistants and on down. Not surprised at all

Is this the first time this season for a team to do that against EV? If so, I can't believe it, I was waiting for it since the Orange game. Seemed like an easy team to bring everyone against. LT would've lived in EV's backfield.
Like it was said above it has happened before but the teams just never had the athletes to cover the EV receivers unlike Lafayette

I'm not suprised EV lost their composure.... It happens every year. It starts with their AD to their HC to their Assistants and on down. Not surprised at all
Is that a shot at the EV program because IMO Hatfield is a good coach that many programs would love to have. He will be at EV for a very long time. As for Settle he is a players and coaches AD he provides everything a player or athletic dept needs without question.

Reactions: EVThomas
Too bad your crying didn't get little johnny any playing time when he was there. Must be tough having to carry a grudge your whole life

Haha, I don't have a dog in the fight. It wouldn't surprise me if you were AD,HC or one of the others responding.

Wanna hear a prediction for next year?? I bet EV will have a great regular season and lose their composure in the playoffs. Sound familiar?

Haha, I don't have a dog in the fight. It wouldn't surprise me if you were AD,HC or one of the others responding.

Wanna hear a prediction for next year?? I bet EV will have a great regular season and lose their composure in the playoffs. Sound familiar?
Doesn't sound familiar to me. I don't recall ever seeing them "lose their composure" in the playoffs. I have seen them get beat. No shame in that. I didn't see any players lose composure yesterday. In fact I saw several occasions during the game where players on both teams were slapping hands and congratulating each other on good plays. Just because the coach (and every single fan with eyes) got heated because of an egregious (you know what that means?) missed holding penalty doesn't mean composure was lost. They got beat, that's all.

EV is a very good program. Hatfield has made them that way. He deserves most of the credit here. They played the Ram's tough but the Cyclones have always had trouble against ground and pound teams that run right at them and pressure the QB. It has always been so. Even though they can play well consistently and put up points, they always lose to this scenario in the end. Lafayette is such a team.

Now, the Rams are good and have some good special players, but hav cruised to where they are. There is nothing too difficult about their schedule and it puts them in a good position to win the first few playoff games against relatively easy squads. I do not classify EV as an easy squad but the Cyclones were extremely vulnerable against exactly what Lafayette does best.

Now, the Rams. They are very good and have a DI level RB but the results of next week's game will be the same as last year's. As Lafayette said last season, "We never played anyone like Courtland all year." They got spanked. Dinwiddie is way better. Their defense is slammin'.

I told everyone here after week 1, it's Dinwiddie in 4A. there will be no Liberty miracle for the Spartan's this year.

I should have used the word focus not composure. Emmit is correct the kids did not lose their composure. They were not playing the same though..Losing containment on the edge and tackling. I don't the rest of what is being said on the thread though.. just some crazy talk about the program.. you can't look at the last 4 years and say anything but growth to describe it.. The adults involved are doing the right things for the kids, no doubt about that...

EV is a very good program. Hatfield has made them that way. He deserves most of the credit here. They played the Ram's tough but the Cyclones have always had trouble against ground and pound teams that run right at them and pressure the QB. It has always been so. Even though they can play well consistently and put up points, they always lose to this scenario in the end. Lafayette is such a team.

Now, the Rams are good and have some good special players, but hav cruised to where they are. There is nothing too difficult about their schedule and it puts them in a good position to win the first few playoff games against relatively easy squads. I do not classify EV as an easy squad but the Cyclones were extremely vulnerable against exactly what Lafayette does best.

Now, the Rams. They are very good and have a DI level RB but the results of next week's game will be the same as last year's. As Lafayette said last season, "We never played anyone like Courtland all year." They got spanked. Dinwiddie is way better. Their defense is slammin'.

I told everyone here after week 1, it's Dinwiddie in 4A. there will be no Liberty miracle for the Spartan's this year.
Drayton Shanks, anyone?
Showing your ignorance there buddy....was kicked off / left the school and never played in a play-off game

Reactions: 86CulpGrad

Ole' shaun-t. King of the back-handed compliment. Obvious you were not at the game. Lafayette coach even said they had no luck running up the middle and had to go outside. Wouldn't consider Lafayette a "ground and pound" team like say Liberty or Woodgrove a couple years ago...more of a finesse running offense, with a very good wide receiver.

Ole' shaun-t. King of the back-handed compliment. Obvious you were not at the game. Lafayette coach even said they had no luck running up the middle and had to go outside. Wouldn't consider Lafayette a "ground and pound" team like say Liberty or Woodgrove a couple years ago...more of a finesse running offense, with a very good wide receiver.
finesse running offense? 37 rushes for 278. EV had 30 rushes for 80.

I do agree, they're not like a L/B, who runs almost exclusively, but the Rams attempted only 10 passes in the game. They pound the ball. Always have. Kind of like saying Courtland, Louisa or Massaponax is a finesse running team. Just sayin'.

This is what the Free Lance Star in Fredericksburg has: http://www.fredericksburg.com/sport...cle_b596ad55-41d4-5421-bd74-749bf9d79d63.html

I do agree, they're not like a L/B, who runs almost exclusively, but the Rams attempted only 10 passes in the game. They pound the ball. Always have. Kind of like saying Courtland, Louisa or Massaponax is a finesse running team. Just sayin'.

To be honest I really think the Fredericksburg papers stats are incorrect. Our detailed rushing stats by player- Grimsley #2-128 (runs of 73 and 37 alone), Johnson #45, 142 and Kragenbrink #5 had 79. This supports the 349 and well beyond the noted 279. The Lafayette penalty yards were over 100. I wish with all the holds, procedures and one unsportsmanlike foul it was under 40. The 10 passes is about average. We run about 80% of the time, sometimes even more.

True...but I didn't see Lafayette as your traditional "power-run" offense. Where as Courtland/Liberty would just keep going up the middle regardless of the success they have. Lafayette wasn't getting much up the middle and they started running it out on the edge instead, while mixing in some effective passing. Good adjustments on their part. The biggest difference (on a few big plays anyway) I saw was that EV missed some tackles either behind or at the line of scrimmage, and then the RB was off to the races. Lafayette didn't miss tackles.

Drayton Shanks, anyone?
jees living in the past much? That was almost 10 years ago and since then I know the program has made sure they don't fall back into those years. and if you don't get fired up about a playoff game then you are in the wrong business. The only composure that was lost was Hatfield after an obvious block in the back right in front of ev sideline in front of two refs. Like any coach Hatfield went off made sure the refs knew they missed it and made sure they flagged him. Even at that they only gave him a sideline warning. so that post seemed like a sour grapes post because Lousia got knocked out early after big talks of this being their year. Also what does the AD have to do with anything during a football game, at that point the AD is a fan. @ChocolateThunder2002

@Cpep_greatest Shanks played for EV and I've seen mainly him but also other players from his teams lose composure, that's why I mentioned him. I thought it was in a playoff game but I was wrong.

@HoosFan05 The first couple years where ev played lousia then yes those teams were pretty much thugs playing football I agree with you there. But that was close to 10 years ago, since then Hatfield made sure his program was coached and acted better than those teams.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
@Cpep_greatest Shanks played for EV and I've seen mainly him but also other players from his teams lose composure, that's why I mentioned him. I thought it was in a playoff game but I was wrong.
Your talking about the game at James Monroe that year it was during the regular season

I have never posted on this forum but now feel the need to defend this year's EV team because a bunch of adults want to drag them through the mud because they lost a football game? For starters, as mentioned NO EV players lost composure Saturday, they may have lost focus during the game which ultimately cost them the game but they never went off the rails! They lost, they shook hands, lined up and left the field 2x2 as they always do. This years EV team is a family, and you can talk to each kid on the roster and they will tell you that this year was different and special, they played hard for each other and their coaches all season. A shame that adults not even associated with the program are now trying to tarnish the historic season they had by bringing up things that happened when the current players were still in middle or elementary school!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT