7. Floyd (3-7) 17.500
8. James River (3-7) 15.900
9. Dan River (3-7) 15.800
10. Nelson (4-6) 15.400

#8 James River @ #1 Radford
#5 Chatham @ #4 Appomattox
#7 Floyd @ #2 Gretna
#6 Patrick @ #3 Glenvar
Can someone that was at gretna/william campbell game tell me how the game ended up so close.I'M thinking gretna was like a 3 touchdown favorite..........

I’m with ultra… I can’t see how this game was close??!!

Can someone that was at gretna/william campbell game tell me how the game ended up so close.I'M thinking gretna was like a 3 touchdown favorite..........
WC did a great job with ball control. Took 11 minutes off the clock to start the second half to score and take a lead going into the fourth. WC might be 4-6, but have 4 losses by a TD or less to Lunenburg (8-2) Gretna (8-2) Altavista (7-3) Chatham (7-3).

Reactions: lyhsports
WC did a great job with ball control. Took 11 minutes off the clock to start the second half to score and take a lead going into the fourth. WC might be 4-6, but have 4 losses by a TD or less to Lunenburg (8-2) Gretna (8-2) Altavista (7-3) Chatham (7-3).
that might be true but you also forgot to mention the app. raiders beat them by 30 and buckingham beat them by 25

that might be true but you also forgot to mention the app. raiders beat them by 30 and buckingham beat them by 25
A healthy Appomattox beat them by 25 and a 9-1 Buckingham team beat them by 27. The Hawks, as good as they are did not play or beat a healthy Appomattox, and Altavista got an even more banged up Appomattox. No excuses, as the Hawks had to play Magna Vista with a backup QB and nearly won. Injuries change what a team is like and timing is everything. I would say the Raiders are extremely dangerous in Region 2C playoffs, but I think they are not in a favorable semifinal with Radford.

Reactions: Bo Bob
We never had the ball in third quarter. I watched the official spot the ball on first down and wind clock. I watched clock and 1:05 went off the clock before they ever snapped the ball. We were screaming about delay of game whole third quarter. One back judge official even questioned head ref. Then in fourth quarter that back official finally through three delay of games in a row and head official tried arguing with him. Gretna did not come to play either. There was zero enthusiasm on there side. I think they were already thinking about playoffs and hadn't focused on this game. We only had ball six times entire game and scored on four of them. They would drive, take ten minutes off class cl and we score on one play three times. Worst reffing I've ever seen. Officials spent half the night trying to figure out where to spot the ball. One time WC on third down made it right on the ten for first and goal. One of their players got mad and threw his helmet off and got dead ball personal foul. Refs moved the ball back to 22, yes just twelve yards and had it third and twelve to get first down on ten. They blew whistle for play and everyone is screaming it was dead ball its first and goal. They then changed down marker to first down but left it first and twelve. Everyone starts screaming it was first and goal on ten before personal foul. Should still be first and goal after penalty on 25 but they left it on 22 and finally changed it to first and goal. They were arguing with each other all night and would take 15 minutes to figure out down and distance several times. I have watched high school football for thirty years and never seen a group of officials so confused from beginning to end. Gretna also had 7 defensive offsides and 5 gave them first downs. You could tell no one came focused on this game. They better get it back together by next week. Before game had several players tell me this wasn't even going be a game before game and they were just laughing and carrying on. Needed that reality check.

We never had the ball in third quarter. I watched the official spot the ball on first down and wind clock. I watched clock and 1:05 went off the clock before they ever snapped the ball. We were screaming about delay of game whole third quarter. One back judge official even questioned head ref. Then in fourth quarter that back official finally through three delay of games in a row and head official tried arguing with him. Gretna did not come to play either. There was zero enthusiasm on there side. I think they were already thinking about playoffs and hadn't focused on this game. We only had ball six times entire game and scored on four of them. They would drive, take ten minutes off class cl and we score on one play three times. Worst reffing I've ever seen. Officials spent half the night trying to figure out where to spot the ball. One time WC on third down made it right on the ten for first and goal. One of their players got mad and threw his helmet off and got dead ball personal foul. Refs moved the ball back to 22, yes just twelve yards and had it third and twelve to get first down on ten. They blew whistle for play and everyone is screaming it was dead ball its first and goal. They then changed down marker to first down but left it first and twelve. Everyone starts screaming it was first and goal on ten before personal foul. Should still be first and goal after penalty on 25 but they left it on 22 and finally changed it to first and goal. They were arguing with each other all night and would take 15 minutes to figure out down and distance several times. I have watched high school football for thirty years and never seen a group of officials so confused from beginning to end. Gretna also had 7 defensive offsides and 5 gave them first downs. You could tell no one came focused on this game. They better get it back together by next week. Before game had several players tell me this wasn't even going be a game before game and they were just laughing and carrying on. Needed that reality check.
Hawk it’s always good to get that reality check and still get a win. And before postseason. I don’t think Gretna will have the same issues in round one. However, after that you got some tough teams on the road to Salem potentially. Good lesson to learn before that time comes

Hawk it’s always good to get that reality check and still get a win. And before postseason. I don’t think Gretna will have the same issues in round one. However, after that you got some tough teams on the road to Salem potentially. Good lesson to learn before that time comes
Since Gretna is second in power points' i assumed if they win and glenvar wins they would play at home for second playoff game against glenvar Is that right or wrong?

Since Gretna is second in power points' i assumed if they win and glenvar wins they would play at home for second playoff game against glenvar Is that right or wrong?
No they’d be at home I was just referring to “the road to Salem” and the state title in terms of potential second round, regional final, and semifinal opponents

Gretnas first game is at home, if they win, the 2nd game is automatically at home, if they win game 2 against what is likely Glenvar, they would play at home for game 3 Except if it's Radford. If Radford is still left, Gretna would travel, but if Radford is not there, Gretna would play the 3rd game a home (Appo, or whoever it is).

If Gretna wins Region C, they will travel to Region D if the Reg D winner is Graham or Union. If someone besides Union or Graham wins Region D (Tazewell, Ridgeview, Gate City) that team would travel to Gretna.

For Appo, they will likely have to travel every playoff game After game 1 which is at home.. It is possible for them to host in round 2 or 3 if their were monumental upsets with Radford, Glenvar, Gretna, etc. For Appo, if they win Region C, they will travel to D unless a miracle occurs such as Lee, Marion winning D. Graham, Union, Tazewell, Gate City, Ridgeview all finished higher in power ranking.

If Radford can keep winning, they are the host/home team in every playoff game including the Region D winner who would travel.

In Region B and A. Central and Riverheads both outpointed Poqouson and King William and if KW/Poqouson wins Region A as expected, they travel to Region B if its Central or Riverheads.

If Poqouson wins A, they would travel to Central, Riverheads,Buckingham. Any other team besides these 3 in Region B would travel to Poqouson.

If KW wins Region A, they are traveling to all top 6 ranked B schools. They outpointed the final 2 Region B schools in Madison County and Stuarts Draft and would host these 2 if one of the 2 were to win Region B.

Last edited:
Playing on the road is nothing new to appo in the playoffs ! Getting better each week ! Now it’s a new season everybody is 0-0 let’s see who’s ready !

Appo has a quality record in true road playoff games under Smith at 8-4 but it's also 20-1 at home with that one loss coming in 2014, the first home playoff game of Smith's career at Appo. They play well on the road, they're nigh unbeatable at home in November.

Appo has arguably the most daunting potential schedule in C2 (likely opponents being Radford, Gretna, Graham/Union, Riverheads/Central) so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Appo has a quality record in true road playoff games under Smith at 8-4 but it's also 20-1 at home with that one loss coming in 2014, the first home playoff game of Smith's career at Appo. They play well on the road, they're nigh unbeatable at home in November.

Appo has arguably the most daunting potential schedule in C2 (likely opponents being Radford, Gretna, Graham/Union, Riverheads/Central) so we'll see what happens.
See raiders probably beating chatham even though a loss would not surprise me That said radford takes the raiders by at least 3 touchdowns in the second round.........

No offense to Chatham, but watch the Appo team that shows up for the playoffs. Chatham is about to get pummeled, and Appo will be right in the thick of it with us.

Last edited:
U are definitely krazy!! If Radford and appo meet in 2 round Appo will be the best team Radford has played all year !
Time will tell Stabler.See you on virginia preps next friday.If im wrong i will be the first to admit it.That said dont think im wrong as i have seen both play........

Time will tell Stabler.See you on virginia preps next friday.If im wrong i will be the first to admit it.That said dont think im wrong as i have seen both play........
I also think you are forgetting radford beat a 9 and 1 alleghenny 3A team by about 25 points earlier in the year. If you think the raiders are better than alleghenny than you probably also believe in santa claus and the tooth fairy.......

I also think you are forgetting radford beat a 9 and 1 alleghenny 3A team by about 25 points earlier in the year. If you think the raiders are better than alleghenny than you probably also believe in santa claus and the tooth fairy.......

Different level of football....you'll find out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT