ADVERTISEMENT

Floyd's Very Unlikely Loss

Intrinsicrewards

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 16, 2011
So Floyd beats Glenvar and losses to Radford, both in OT. They looked to me like a really good team to me. I was really impressed with their toughness and running game and thought they had a shot to win Region C.

Both Glenvar and Radford beat Alleghany badly and Floyd lost to Alleghany 28-6. Something doesn't compute. Why did Floyd play so badly against Alleghany? That cannot have been the same team that played Radford and Glenvar.

Theories
1 Alleghany got really good, really fast.
2. Injuries from Radford game or practice.
3. Suspensions
4. Rested their best players because they would rather play Appo than Glenvar but then the plan backfired when Glenvar beat Radford.
5. Other

#4 makes the least sense. Does anyone have any insights?

Running Team- Running Teams are often in games against "better football teams." They shorten the game, and if having some success, control clock and limit offensive possessions of a team like Radford who is explosive. Add some penalties and turnovers to the mix, and next thing you know, the game is very close in the 4th qtr. The flip-side- running teams often find themselves in the exact same situation as above when they play teams that they are generally "better than." A team like Floyd commits a few turnovers and you had 1st or 2nd down holding calls that now cause Floyd to face 2nd and 22 or 1st and 20 instead of 1st and 10, or 2nd and 5, and that running team runs it well, but the opponent comes up with 2 magical defensive plays inside their own 20, and all of a sudden, in the 4th qtr, the game is close or the running team is behind by a bunch (Alleghany). The running team also limits its own possessions, so this is another reason they may find themselves in games that are close against teams they are generally better than or should beat.

Cold weather often favors a running team though. Come playoff time, as the weather cools and passing becomes a little more difficult, running teams like Floyd County can be really dangerous, especially if they don't turn the ball over.

I’d say it’s a mixture of exhausting a lot the week prior to a top 3 2A team in the state, that drive to Low Moor is tough on any team, especially a team coming over 2 mountain ranges, and it being the last home game for Alleghany. Just can’t compare scores sometimes.

I know a lot of the students at Radford had the flu this week. Maybe it hit Floyd last week. Just a guess.

Did any 3 Rivers district team have a good win over a non district team this year? Other than Radford's 2 point win against Christiansburg, I can't think of any. Maybe 3 Rivers is competitive, but not upper level 2A. We'll see.

Alleghany has a lot of younger players, Sophomores & even some Freshman playing this year. My guess is that they are improving & finally had their best game of the year. They were somewhat competitive with Glenvar. Still don't think they have a chance against the Appomattox's of the world yet.

Alleghany has a lot of younger players, Sophomores & even some Freshman playing this year. My guess is that they are improving & finally had their best game of the year. They were somewhat competitive with Glenvar. Still don't think they have a chance against the Appomattox's of the world yet.
Haven't seen them play this year, but judging by scores, they were definitely more competitive this year than they've been for a while

Alleghany has a really good Sophomore class & they could have possibly done some damage in AA the next couple of years. Now that they are combining with Covington they will move up to 3A. Covington will bring with them some good players but 3A is definitely going to be a challenge.

Did any 3 Rivers district team have a good win over a non district team this year? Other than Radford's 2 point win against Christiansburg, I can't think of any. Maybe 3 Rivers is competitive, but not upper level 2A. We'll see.
Glenvar beat Cave Spring and Hidden Valley. Those are good wins in my book.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT