ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Weather

I hope so, but I've heard not unless they are calling for thunderstorms. We play in rain, but not lightning!
I saw Indian River perform in the rain/monsoon against Oscar Smith and seemed to perform well considering the conditions. I think the HS/Varina game should've been played last Friday to give HS the same test...

Right now in the 757, Weather.com is calling for mid-day Thunderstorms but going away by the evening. That's the type of scenario where the schools are likely to reschedule a game but only to have perfect weather for game time. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
Not again with the weather... Has their ever been a year like this? Wow! I think monacan has played more games on random weekdays and weekends then Friday nights this season!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Not again with the weather... Has their ever been a year like this? Wow! I think monacan has played more games on random weekdays and weekends then Friday nights this season!

20 years of attending games in the region and I've never seen a season like this. I sure hope next year is better but obviously we still got to get through this year. Maybe last year foretold us what was ahead, remember the state title games had to be moved to Sunday because of snow.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think the wet field will favor us (Bird) against Freeman. The 2013 game against Salem was a wet one. We committed a slew of penalties, but kept pounding the ball eeking out a 7-3 win. Bring on the rain. Sixty six stack monster. Mud bowl here we come.

Reactions: mbonape1
I think the wet field will favor us (Bird) against Freeman. The 2013 game against Salem was a wet one. We committed a slew of penalties, but kept pounding the ball eeking out a 7-3 win. Bring on the rain. Sixty six stack monster. Mud bowl here we come.

One of the most memorable games I recall weather wise was a playoff game years ago between Bird and Varina. Rain was coming down so hard I had a waterfall coming down the brim of my hat. I haven't been to a game since with rain so hard.

I was told today that HSHS definitely will not play on Saturday! They will play Friday night in the rain if it is not calling for lightning... If that be the case they'd play on Thursday..... I'd looking for them on Friday night.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I was told today that HSHS definitely will not play on Saturday! They will play Friday night in the rain if it is not calling for lightning... If that be the case they'd play on Thursday..... I'd looking for them on Friday night.
I'm not sure if SAT'S are being held this coming Saturday, but I heard 19 HS football players had SAT's this past Saturday from 8:30-12:30.... could that be why they started so slow Saturday? I dunno!

I'm not sure if SAT'S are being held this coming Saturday, but I heard 19 HS football players had SAT's this past Saturday from 8:30-12:30.... could that be why they started so slow Saturday? I dunno!

Hmmm...I heard those test booklets were accidentally shredded and there will be a retest at 7pm Friday night. I think it is being held at Powhatan High School (that should be far enough away) and due to the mixup they are offering the whole Springer team free SATs, but only Friday night at 7pm. LOL

November 3 was the test date with December 1 being the next. I'm positive to suggest any program who played Saturday had student athletes testing the morning of the games hence the afternoon and evening start times.

Geez does that bring back memories. 1976...we played Culpepper in an away game and then back to Varina. I didn't get home until 1AM and I was up and over to HSHS at 7AM.

I'm surprised I did as well as I did.

By the way I tore up my right ankle that night but back then you rubbed dirt on it and taped you up.:)

Geez does that bring back memories. 1976...we played Culpepper in an away game and then back to Varina. I didn't get home until 1AM and I was up and over to HSHS at 7AM.

I'm surprised I did as well as I did.

By the way I tore up my right ankle that night but back then you rubbed dirt on it and taped you up.:)

My experience was returning to Varina from a basketball game at Colonial Heights I think and having to scrape frost off the windshield and discovering a flat tire. Busted my knuckles breaking loose a lug nut. My hand was partially numb from the cold so you guys know how that felt. Don't remember what time I made it home to Elko before getting up to make the drive to Hermitage for the test.

Reactions: ArcticBuc
Hmmm...I heard those test booklets were accidentally shredded and there will be a retest at 7pm Friday night. I think it is being held at Powhatan High School (that should be far enough away) and due to the mixup they are offering the whole Springer team free SATs, but only Friday night at 7pm. LOL
The Springer's are going to take the test, Friday night at 7p!!! The JV team is still favored +21!!!

Reactions: DRWildcatDad2018
One of the most memorable games I recall weather wise was a playoff game years ago between Bird and Varina. Rain was coming down so hard I had a waterfall coming down the brim of my hat. I haven't been to a game since with rain so hard.

yep i remember that game a cold rainy night. Brian Logan was the QB for Varina / Varina scored with seconds left on the clock and now down by 1 Varina went for the two point conversion for the win and did not make it, Bird went on to play Landstown in the state semifinals, Bird could not handle wide receiver Percy Harvin in the second half.

yep i remember that game a cold rainy night. Brian Logan was the QB for Varina / Varina scored with seconds left on the clock and now down by 1 Varina went for the two point conversion for the win and did not make it, Bird went on to play Landstown in the state semifinals, Bird could not handle wide receiver Percy Harvin in the second half.

2003 Division 6 Central Region final...I was on scoreboard detail but as I recall, it was overtime. I think Bird kicked the XP and Varina scored, went for two, and didn't get it. It's been 15 years and my mind MIGHT be mistaken...

Last edited:
2003 Division 6 Central Region final...I was on scoreboard detail but as I recall, it was overtime. I think Bird kicked the XP and Varina scored, went for two, and didn't get it. It's been 15 years and my mind MIGHT be mistaken...

I think you might be right actually. I remember Varina and Bird having a couple of OT games in their playoff rivalry. In fact those games against the Skyhawks stick out in my mind more than some games. They were always so competitive, hard hitting and the two while they did respect one another wanted to beat the snot out of one another.

20 years of attending games in the region and I've never seen a season like this. I sure hope next year is better but obviously we still got to get through this year. Maybe last year foretold us what was ahead, remember the state title games had to be moved to Sunday because of snow.
at least next year there will be three more turf fields to choose from (J.R. Tucker, Highland Springs and Henrico high schools will have new fields and tracks by August 2019). Replacements at Mills Godwin, Deep Run and Glen Allen high schools will be ready for the 2020 football season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHUKNOW and CRF4Dan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT