ADVERTISEMENT

Galax vs Riverheads

Ah, that's awesome. Looked like you were having great time. I think your wife used to aid for my class in elementary school. She probably doesn't remember me.

As usual I am not able to get on the computer and add my comments until the wee hours but it sounds like I have missed some things here today. First of all, what in the world is all that talk about racist officials and phone calls to the VHSL? I was not aware of any particular controversy during today's game but of course I was not right down on the field.

Secondly, someone was worried that the NFHS broadcast was not working. Was that just related to the 10 minute delay and did it eventually come on? I sure hope so because I always enjoy watching the game again to see what I can pick up on that I missed.

Anyway, I don't see where anyone has posted any actual recap, so briefly, the Gladiators won 45-14 behind four touchdowns from Cayden Cook-Cash, and single scores from Luke Bryant and Aidan Miller. Cooper Robson was perfect on PATs and also added a very short field goal that was roughly the same distance as a PAT. Ashworth and Reeves scored the two Galax touchdowns.

The Gladiators drove long-distance for their two first half touchdowns, going 95 and 87 yards, each culminating in a Triple C score. His first one, late in the first quarter, covered about 38 yards and featured a couple of his famous stiff-arms.

His second score was only about 4 yards and came early in the second quarter. Galax also had a decent drive in the second quarter, but the Gladiators stopped them on downs, so the half ended with the game still very much in doubt at 14-0.

The Gladiators then pretty much put it away with a 17 point third quarter. Galax went three and out, and CCC scored from about 62 yards out, pretty much untouched this time. But Galax then got its passing game going and moved in to score on an Ashworth keeper that cut the margin to 21-7 with plenty of time still left in the game.

If you had to pick one turning point, it may have been the next play. With the Tide having just scored and hoping to establish momentum, they went for the onside kick. However, the kicker topped it and it rolled a harmless three yards. By rule that gave RHS the ball at the Tide 42. From there they moved into position for Robson's field goal, which made it a three score game at 24-7.

The Big Red stopped Galax on its next possession and Triple C fielded a punt around the RHS 25. Luke Bryant then put the nail in the coffin as he swept left end for about 75 yards to make it 31-7. According to the news reports, he and CCC combined for about 380 yards rushing in the game.

The teams then traded fourth quarter scores with Reeves scooting around right end from about 35 yards out and Miller scoring off tackle from about the 6. As the game wound down, the Gladiator sideline got so carried away that the Gatorade bucket ended up 10 yards out on to the field!

Congrats to both teams on fine seasons and there is every reason to think they will meet each other again frequently in the future. As mentioned on here, this was RHS' sixth straight title and ninth overall, but perhaps more importantly, they are now all alone on a national level as their 50 straight wins puts them first in the country in terms of an active winning streak. Reportedly Bixby, Oklahoma is one game behind with 49 straight victories.

With some key players returning next year, the Big Red should be in good shape to add to some of those records, but it may not be that easy. The Lord Botetourt game in the third week of the season, assuming the schedule repeats itself in the usual two-year fashion, should be hyped as much as it was this year, but I for one will worry about the season-opener when we travel to Waynesboro. After the way they came alive down the stretch this fall, Ryan Barbour and his crew will certainly head into the season with major confidence on their side, so nobody should just "assume" a Riverheads victory in that one.

Last but not least, I second someone's comment about the traffic on 81 being as insane as ever. So I hope everyone made it home safely.

Big Red basketball is up next as the Gladiators will battle Bath twice to open the season, starting Thursday at home, before then facing defending state champ Parry McCluer twice. I think we will have a little David vs. Goliath thing going on in those two games!

Good recap @longtimerhsfan. I want to add a couple of observations. First the line play for both of these teams are what separates them from the rest of 1A. Galax was getting a good push on both sides of the ball and rallied to the point of attack well. Offensively Galax got going in the second half once they went with the stretch play and the shorter routes to the side with two WR’s instead of the dive off tackle and the mid routes. Defensively having state championship wrestler #66(I apologize for not remembering his name) playing inside negated a lot of the typical runs by Riverheads in the middle. One of my personal favorites to watch from Galax, Riley Jo Vaught played very well at LB and was rarely out of position despite the final yardage numbers.

In my opinion the game was closer than the score. I would look for both to make deep playoff runs next year. I look forward to seeing several of these young men in Salem wrestling for state titles.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Damn I came here to congratulate RH on a great season and the whole board has went off the rails.

all of 1A is trash , racist refs , red pride got red and called someone a clown , what did I miss, everybody got their knickers in a wad. Lol

Anyways congrats to the red team , Galax had no answer for the one play that they kept scoring on. Great run for the red team and extremely proud of my Tide when no one thought they would be there this year.
Till next fall ( hopefully this board will be more lively next year

Ah, that's awesome. Looked like you were having great time. I think your wife used to aid for my class in elementary school. She probably doesn't remember me.
So we have a few more clues about xcross, his wife was a teacher's aide at the elementary school, and he likes gifts on his tractor, hey Tim any names to go with Xcross Jerry is still trying to figure him out always talking about him from August till December then in december that's when he really goes into hibernation xcross = hide and seek champion for the 15 year in a row, so just like that rhs he is making history as well GO BIG RED

So we have a few more clues about xcross, his wife was a teacher's aide at the elementary school, and he likes gifts on his tractor, hey Tim any names to go with Xcross Jerry is still trying to figure him out always talking about him from August till December then in december that's when he really goes into hibernation xcross = hide and seek champion for the 15 year in a row, so just like that rhs he is making history as well GO BIG RED
And he likes to have a good time at the football game

Congratulations to Riverheads on the six peat and winning 50 in a row....hell of a program up there. Do they play LB again next year? If so and LB is back where they normally are, could the streak end next year?

Last edited:
Having no knowledge of Casto’s decision on his coaching future it’s way too far off to think about but the first two games won’t be cakewalks against resurgent PM and Waynesboro squads either.

Football is over for the year so now it’s time to hit the wrestling mat. The focus now turns to grinding through the regular season and hopefully getting to Salem Civic Center to compete with the perennial powerhouse Grundy for top of the podium.
#allgasnobrakes #grindhouse #redpridenation

Respect to you my friend and what you are building from the youth up.
Thanks man , Jefferson and crew at Sussex are class individuals and are up to the challenge without excuses . ( Iron Sharpens Iron ) You guys in Staunton in my opinion are making the best programs better by looking deep into themselves.
Let me know when the celebration will be , I would like to attend just to talk with Coach C.

I am going to say this. Galax has been told since last season ended that this was their down year and they was only there last year due to Dixon’s left overs. Everyone said they was going to get beat last week. This team has gotten crazy little respect for a team that been in the state semi finals seven straight ones and 3 finals in a row.

I have watched this team play us, GW, Graham ,PM and Holston. And I will say this- this team does not give up easy and plays lights out for it to be their down year. Despite the fact their coach puts them in some crazy bad spots. Like running the same play right behind the left guard 4 times in the goal line last week. They ran one play that was designed to get the edge and get their back in space around the end in the past two weeks and it was a score . It baffles me, lol.

but the game that impressed me the most was their loss to Graham . Missing six starters and held Graham to. 7-0 halftime lead and held the all world Bradshaw to negative yardage the whole game.

RH will win this game in my opinion but Galax will play them extremely tough until the numbers for RH wears them down .

dont pat yourself on the back for the graham game. they took it easy on you guys for playing! graham could have named their score. what six starters where you down! i only noticed 2. give me numbers you dont have to give names.

dont pat yourself on the back for the graham game. they took it easy on you guys for playing! graham could have named their score. what six starters where you down! i only noticed 2. give me numbers you dont have to give names.
Why would he pat himself on the back I'm pretty sure he pulls for a different school but I could be wrong but he is correct we were down 6 starters but it has been a while so i can't remember exactly which ones were out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT