ADVERTISEMENT

George Wythe wins in Arbys opener

GW with a MASSIVE, massive win in the Arbys opener over last years South Carolina 5A state runner up Dorman, 56-45.

What a win for the Maroons! Holy cow. One of the bigger upsets in recent Arbys memory, maybe all time. GW is legit as hell.
This on the heels of GW winning the Gatlinburg tournament last week. Dorman is the biggest of the 18 schools in the Arby's Classic with over 4000 students and GW is the smallest with 460 students

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
This on the heels of GW winning the Gatlinburg tournament last week. Dorman is the biggest of the 18 schools in the Arby's Classic with over 4000 students and GW is the smallest with 460 students
Only the second win ever for a 1A VA team, first since Council in late 90s. Honestly one of the biggest wins I’ve ever hears in West basketball in my adult life. What a showstopper.

Only the second win ever for a 1A VA team, first since Council in late 90s. Honestly one of the biggest wins I’ve ever hears in West basketball in my adult life. What a showstopper.
I remember that Council team with Brad Nuckles. I first saw him play as a sophomore and they lost to New Kent in the state championship game in 2000. The next year they won it all. They were a Hoosiers like story with only a little over 100 in the high school

I remember that Council team with Brad Nuckles. I first saw him play as a sophomore and they lost to New Kent in the state championship game in 2000. The next year they won it all. They were a Hoosiers like story with only a little over 100 in the high school
It was a fantastic story. Knuckles and Rasnake were one helluva one-two punch. Not many 6’10 kids had the stroke Brad Knuckles had in the early 2000s, went on to have a very good career at ETSU.

At this point, any scenario that isn’t Lancaster and GW playing against at the end would be the actual surprise. Two team’s seem a cut above.

It was a fantastic story. Knuckles and Rasnake were one helluva one-two punch. Not many 6’10 kids had the stroke Brad Knuckles had in the early 2000s, went on to have a very good career at ETSU.

At this point, any scenario that isn’t Lancaster and GW playing against at the end would be the actual surprise. Two team’s seem a cut above.
I definitely wouldn't count out Franklin, Brunswick or Altavista in Region B. In Region C, Auburn is always tough and Narrows has one of the best players in the state.

GW is the only "local" team still in the winners bracket down in Bristol.

All the local powers are in the losers bracket. They play Mentor out of Cleveland area at 4:30 PM. They have some talent and length.

GW is up three in the fourth. Have had to withstand a 16-0 Mentor run but they’re right in it. Kirtner has nearly 40.

Mentor hits layup as time expired to win 96-95. GW is a monster but couldn’t close it out.

Mentor hits layup as time expired to win 96-95. GW is a monster but couldn’t close it out.
GW was up by 6 with 45 seconds to go. Mentor is a powerhouse and found a way, but GW had them on the ropes

GW was up by 6 with 45 seconds to go. Mentor is a powerhouse and found a way, but GW had them on the ropes
I haven’t seen the clip, was the last bucket before the buzzer? I read someone way they thought it may have been late. Either way, a truly exceptional showing for GW, fairing better than any NE TN team with 2,000 or so students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT