ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest players you have seen play.

Wow...tough question. This will require some thought. I'll limit it to those I saw play. That will give it a GW slant. But for now---in no particular order.

David Wilson: GW
Ahmad Brooks: C.D. Hylton
Lee Suggs: William Fleming
Keeta Covington: GW
Shawn Moore: Martinsville
Herman Moore: GW
Cornell Brown: E.C. Glass
Camm Jackson: Amherst County
Rudi Johnson: Thomas Dale
John Poole: GW
Elijah Davis: Heritage
Sam Smalls: Mt. Tabor (NC)
Tyrone Robertson: GW
Shannon Taylor: PH-Roanoke
Nathan Poole: GW

I'm sure there are MANY more I have missed.
Chuck, what was the QB's name from the Charlotte NC team we (GW) played 8-10 years back that single handedly beat the tar out of us? He was unreal!!!
Joe Owen

Don't forget about Kenny Lewis...Rafael Garcia...Herman Moore...Ferrell Edmunds...Percy Moorman...Keeta and Bam Covington....All from GW Danville
I’m only 24 lol I had the chance to see Kenny Lewis Jr. play! Him and Jeremy Jeffress (Halifax) were the best baseball players I’ve ever seen on the high school level!

Chuck, what was the QB's name from the Charlotte NC team we (GW) played 8-10 years back that single handedly beat the tar out of us? He was unreal!!!
Joe Owen
I’m trying to figure out who you’re talking about. The only Charlotte team I recall GW playing in the past 10 years is Vance. We played them in 2015 and 2016. Maybe you’re talking about Winston Salem Parkland in 07? Their had a big game against us but we beat them.

I’m trying to figure out who you’re talking about. The only Charlotte team I recall GW playing in the past 10 years is Vance. We played them in 2015 and 2016. Maybe you’re talking about Winston Salem Parkland in 07? Their had a big game against us but we beat them.
It was Durham Hillside I was thinking about 2009. Kid was a monster

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Partlow brothers from Handley Qb-Wr
Joe Lee Qb Warren County-if Warren County had a weight room when he played, they would have been scary easy 40 points a game without a weight room
Hb Banjoman Rb Warren County
Ross Methany Qb Sherando

Just a few local kids I remember

The Buckskins? My dad took me to those games at Victory Stadium. Their rival were the Norfolk Neptunes. They had Saints helmets and the buckskins had the single arrow like the 60's Redskin helmets. Man, sports were great in the early 70's in Roanoke. Salem Pirates-baseball, Roanoke Rebels - hockey, Virginia Squires -basketball, Buckskins-football, Cosmo track meet, Roanoke Rugby Club, Wrestling at the Starland Arena (Rip Hawk and Swede Hanson), Racing Franklin County Speedway, plus great high school sports.

Did some research on the Buckskins. Jimmy Piersoll the former Boston Redsox player was their general manager. Norfolk had a mean dude named Otis Sistrunk who later played for the Raiders on the d line
When they did the pre-game introductions for the Raiders, they always listed Otis Sistrunk as being from the University of Mars.

These are great players you all have mentioned , seen a lot of them , some never heard of or seen. One player that sticks out for me when I was younger was Allen Pinkett at Park View -Sterling in the 80’s. Went on to play for the Notre Dame, and Houston Oilers.

Reactions: Rev_Real
Wasn't going to post since I did not grow up in Virginia but here are a few that I got to see:

Jeff Hostetler - Conemaugh Township H.S., PA. Went on to play at West Virginia and won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants. Quarterbacked New York to a win over Buffalo in the Super Bowl.
Geroy Simon - Johnstown H.S., PA. Set receiving records at Maryland and inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
Greg Gardill - Johnstown H.S., PA. Went on to play for those tough East Carolina teams in the late 80s and early 90s.
Carlton Hasilrig - Johnstown H.S., PA. Never played college football but was a 6x NCAA national wrestling champion. Yes, it was 6. Walked on at the Steelers training camp and made All Pro under coach Bill Cower. His wrestling helped him at guard.
LaVar Arrington - North Hills H.S., PA. Had a great career at Penn State and went on to play for Washington.
Ricky Watters - Bishop McDevitt, PA. Went on to Notre Dame and played for San Francisco and won a Super Bowl.
Another very good high school player that I can never forget is Shannon Stevens from Allegany H.S. out of Cumberland. MD. ALCO came up to play Johnstown in the late 80s and he literally dominated the football game. Johnstown was a 3A team at that time in a 4 classification system. The year before they went undefeated in the regular season and made a deep playoff run. Started the season off undefeated until ALCO came to town. He kicked the ball off, then made the tackle and would go on to make most tackles on defense. Played offensive guard and they ran behind him almost always with their wing-t offense. He led Allegany to a Maryland state championship that year and would eventually start some games as a true freshman at the University of Georgia the next year.

Since living in Virginia, I did see Vic Hall at Gretna. Peter Rose at Amherst and the McCoy kid at Amherst was a very good football player.

Last edited:
Going way back and most of you was probably not born! But as a small boy saw Ken Williard ( Varina) play at Maury stadium against James Monroe! But the best back i ever seen was at my alma mater Spotsylvania Steve Atkins (Maryland) and Green Bay! Atkins was the MVP of the cotton bowl as a freshman! Also Eric Bates of JM and Daniel Davis!
Sorry to bring back the archives but these guys was the real deal!

Wasn't going to post since I did not grow up in Virginia but here are a few that I got to see:

Jeff Hostetler - Conemaugh Township H.S., PA. Went on to play at West Virginia and won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants. Quarterbacked New York to a win over Buffalo in the Super Bowl.
Geroy Simon - Johnstown H.S., PA. Set receiving records at Maryland and inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
Greg Gardill - Johnstown H.S., PA. Went on to play for those tough East Carolina teams in the late 80s and early 90s.
Carlton Hasilrig - Johnstown H.S., PA. Never played college football but was a 6x NCAA national wrestling champion. Yes, it was 6. Walked on at the Steelers training camp and made All Pro under coach Bill Cower. His wrestling helped him at guard.
LaVar Arrington - North Hills H.S., PA. Had a great career at Penn State and went on to play for Washington.
Ricky Watters - Bishop McDevitt, PA. Went on to Notre Dame and played for San Francisco and won a Super Bowl.
Another very good high school player that I can never forget is Shannon Stevens from Allegany H.S. out of Cumberland. MD. ALCO came up to play Johnstown in the late 80s and he literally dominated the football game. Johnstown was a 3A team at that time in a 4 classification system. The year before they went undefeated in the regular season and made a deep playoff run. Started the season off undefeated until ALCO came to town. He kicked the ball off, then made the tackle and would go on to make most tackles on defense. Played offensive guard and they ran behind him almost always with their wing-t offense. He led Allegany to a Maryland state championship that year and would eventually start some games as a true freshman at the University of Georgia the next year.

Since living in Virginia, I did see Vic Hall at Gretna. Peter Rose at Amherst and the McCoy kid at Amherst was a very good football player.
As far as a duo, Hard to match Peter Rose and Derrick McCoy. Peter had so much speed and could throw very well and McCoy rarely dropped a pass. McCoy had several great interceptions as well.

Reactions: Panther80ram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT