ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna Varsity coaching staff

tarheel8803

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 13, 2008
Me and a lot of other fans are wondering when the administration is going to wake up and realize that Gretna will not have a winning record with the current coaching staff!! Pitiful!!

Told them that 3 years ago and even had meeting with administration about it. On the day he was hired said that was the end of the winning. He is totally clueless on how to coach football and has proven it over and over. No one even argues that point any more. He brown nosed his way into the job. He was going behind the last coaches back brown nosing to boosters and administration to try to line himself up for the job. He lies to the players and lets them do whatever they want to keep a team, there is no respect for him. The season is already a loss during off season. Spends 75% of time during off season practicing for 7 on 7 while most players sit around and watch them throw ball around all spring and summer. Very little use of weight room and conditioning anymore. That's why you see us having bunch of players cramping all the time and get wore out in fourth quarter. He has no control over players. Some hardly come to practice but play because he needs them supposedly. Have had numerous players lost to disciplinary problems in his three years, a lot even getting in trouble under his watch. He doesn't know where to play his players, always hear him talk about in college there size would dictate them playing here or there. Until he understands that hard work has to be done during off season and the ones that don't want to let them go. They know they can get by with not showing up. All he needs is 11 that want to go to work and you will be better off with them. The rest will start putting forth more effort when forced to or don't play. Even with that he still knows nothing about making in game adjustments. Have watched them go up and fake snap count then look to coach for play. After watching both linebackers jump in the A gaps his idea was to run ball right at them in A gap. lol At Brookville game they played press man coverage with no safety anf eight in box coming every play. He blames his five lineman for not blocking eight guys so he has more time to throw or can run up middle. You take advantage of aggressive defense and throw quick passes or screens. You can expect five lineman to block eight guys but he knows not what to do when defense blows his game plan up. Three years ago he said he would win again in three years when he got this other crop of young players. Well guess what it has been three years and he is no better than he was then. There is talent there but he will never take it no where and they have all the evidence they need but he keeps sucked up to administration so I wouldn't hold my breathe for any changes.

Reactions: tarheel8803
Wow, I am not surprised at the degree of dissent of the Gretna fans if this is the way the team is handled now. I know in '11 when that Gretna team came to Greenville and beat Riverheads, that was a well disciplined and fundemantaly sound team. I understand the coach changed but has the feeder system changed significantly? I suppose that wouldn't matter one way or the other if the scheme and usage of players makes no sense. Lots of respect for where they were though. That was an awesome game to witness and although we lost, it was very entertaining.

Reactions: tarheel8803
I have been told that the feeling among many Alumni/fans is anything less than a state championship is a disappointing year. I believe from 2001 to 2011, Gretna had 2nd most wins of any team in the state behind Phoebus. Support has dwindled a lot. I recall to get a good seat, you had to be there at 5:00. Now you can show up at 6:59 and get a good seat on 50 yard line. I know a lot of people who refuse to go to a game now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT