ADVERTISEMENT

GW 75 Charlottesville 64 Conference 23 Championship

Final GW 75 Cville 64. Great hard fought game by both teams. Good luck to both in the playoffs. GW will host Tuesday night. TBD on the opponent. Safe travels to our friends from Charlottesville!

Reactions: wikki
Final GW 75 Cville 64. Great hard fought game by both teams. Good luck to both in the playoffs. GW will host Tuesday night. TBD on the opponent. Safe travels to our friends from Charlottesville![/QUOTEi
Final GW 75 Cville 64. Great hard fought game by both teams. Good luck to both in the playoffs. GW will host Tuesday night. TBD on the opponent. Safe travels to our friends from Charlottesville!
I'm pretty sure quarterfinals are Monday for all teams

Great basketball game, pretty good crowd considering it was all GW fans. May have been 5 of us Cville fans sitting behind our bench. It was an up and down, back and forth game for the first 14 minutes, GW led 33-31. At that point they went to 3/4 court trap and forced back to back turnovers, including a nice Robinson dunk and they took a 42-33 lead into the break. GW had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half. Was without a doubt the difference in the game. Their big man, Jones sat much of the 2nd with his 3rd foul. Robinson was just unstoppable to the basket in the first half, great body control and touch around the basket, finishing with both hands and the 1 dunk. He had 20 at the break. Both teams came out in the 2nd half in zone defenses and the game got really slow, Cville had a number of 3's go in and out, shots that had been falling the last two games weren't. GW may have made 2 or 3 jumpshots all game, they lived on layups, put backs and free throws. Both teams scored 8 points in the 3rd frame and it was 50-41 going to the 4th. Cville got as close as 5 but Jones came back in the 2nd half and made a few big buckets to keep us at bay and GW made their free throws down the stretch. Officiating wasn't bad, couple equally bad calls on both teams but they didn't decide the game, which is all you can ask for.

My impressions of GW is they are very athletic, high effort but the lack of shooting is concerning. I don't think they scored double figures outside of the paint and free throw line which is a major concern if they want to win the title. Teams will pack the paint and make them shoot. #1 Robinson is their best player, he's great off the bounce, competitive and finishes around the basket as well as I've seen. #3 is long and athletic kid who I'd say is their 2nd best player. #11 and #12 appear to have the best looking strokes as they were the only two I remember scoring outside of the paint but again it was only 2 or 3 times total. #2 was a monster on the offensive glass, not a tall kid but very savvy and knows how to use his body. He was able to leverage a box out with a spin move, did it successfully multiple times. I've seen a number of GW teams over the years and this one doesn't stand out to me. They certainly have final 4 talent but state title worthy is yet to be determined. Good Luck to the Eagles the rest of the way!

Last edited:
Great basketball game, pretty good crowd considering it was all GW fans. May have been 5 of us Cville fans sitting behind our bench. It was an up and down, back and forth game for the first 14 minutes, GW led 33-31. At that point they went to 3/4 court trap and forced back to back turnovers, including a nice Robinson dunk and they took a 42-33 lead into the break. GW had 15 offensive rebounds in the first half. Was without a doubt the difference in the game. Their big man, Jones sat much of the 2nd with his 3rd foul. Robinson was just unstoppable to the basket in the first half, great body control and touch around the basket, finishing with both hands and the 1 dunk. He had 20 at the break. Both teams came out in the 2nd half in zone defenses and the game got really slow, Cville had a number of 3's go in and out, shots that had been falling the last two games weren't. GW may have made 2 or 3 jumpshots all game, they lived on layups, put backs and free throws. Both teams scored 8 points in the 3rd frame and it was 50-41 going to the 4th. Cville got as close as 5 but Jones came back in the 2nd half and made a few big buckets to keep us at bay and GW made their free throws down the stretch. Officiating wasn't bad, couple equally bad calls on both teams but they didn't decide the game, which is all you can ask for.

My impressions of GW is they are very athletic, high effort but the lack of shooting is concerning. I don't think they scored double figures outside of the paint and free throw line which is a major concern if they want to win the title. Teams will pack the paint and make them shoot. #1 Robinson is their best player, he's great off the bounce, competitive and finishes around the basket as well as I've seen. #3 is long and athletic kid who I'd say is their 2nd best player. #11 and #12 appear to have the best looking strokes as they were the only two I remember scoring outside of the paint but again it was only 2 or 3 times total. #2 was a monster on the offensive glass, not a tall kid but very savvy and knows how to use his body. He was able to leverage a box out with a spin move, did it successfully multiple times. I've seen a number of GW teams over the years and this one doesn't stand out to me. They certainly have final 4 talent but state title worthy is yet to be determined. Good Luck to the Eagles the rest of the way!
Thanks for the report. Based on what I have seen of them the lack of ability to shoot with range, average size at best and marginal depth are the biggest weaknesses of this GW team compared to other previous GW squads and supports your "doesn't stand out to me" evaluation. The athleticism of the kids they do have is solid compared to other GW teams. Overall, just since 2000, this team is somewhere near the bottom of the Top 10 of GW teams and could solidify their position with a deep tournament run, however, if they get to the final four, or win it all, it will say a lot more about the overall quality, or lack thereof, of high school basketball in Virginia than affirm GW as a great team.

@DanvilleSportsHead you handled your business. Should be primed to make a real run now. Congrats and good luck!
Thank you bro! Like One Man and Cutnjump said, they have to get consistent shooting the basketball. It is somewhat concerning moving forward that GW doesn't have the deep ball threat we had last year in Isaiah Bethel and Dequan Hairston. Prime example of One Man's statement of "packing the paint" is what Loudoun Valley did last February. GW probably shot less than 30% from the floor the whole night. I compare this GW team to my VCU Rams. Very resilient bunch. No 5 star recruits but they're going to play good defense and they're going to battle all 32 minutes. Each guy has a role and as long as they don't try to do things that they're not capable of (to hurt the team) then I like this team to do special things. That's a huge if...Yeah this is not the best GW team I've seen, but these guys have a lot of heart. Let's give them a lot of credit.. They beat Martinsville twice, Halifax twice and Franklin County twice to go undefeated in the Piedmont. No let downs this year which is a good sign. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

Last edited:
Thank you bro! Like One Man and Cutnjump said, they have to get consistent shooting the basketball. It is somewhat concerning moving forward that GW doesn't have the deep ball threat we had last year in Isaiah Bethel and Dequan Hairston. Prime example of One Man's statement of "packing the paint" is what Loudoun Valley did last February. GW probably shot less than 30% from the floor the whole night. I compare this GW team to my VCU Rams. Very resilient bunch. No 5 star recruits but they're going to play good defense and they're going to battle all 32 minutes. Each guy has a role and as long as they don't try to do things that they're not capable of (to hurt the team) then I like this team to do special things. That's a huge if...Yeah this is not the best GW team I've seen, but these guys have a lot of heart. Let's give them a lot of credit.. They beat Martinsville twice, Halifax twice and Franklin County twice to go undefeated in the Piedmont. No let downs this year which is a good sign. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out.
Taking care of business and winning the games they played is definitely deserving of credit. They do not make the schedule and can only play the opponents placed before them. Having said that, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in FC or Halifax results and Martinsville, while good, has not been the consistent Bulldogs of old. FC is up and down as well. Halifax lost the other night to a PH team that scored its first field goal of the second half with under one minute to go in the fourth quarter.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
If GW rebounds the ball, they can beat Handley. Big if...
*Knock on wood* Amardius Jones, Devante Grasty and Canei Marshall are some dogs. They will definitely get boards. My biggest concern is foul trouble. Last time GW went up there, there were atrocious officiating. Handley was a better team than GW in 14 but GW was good enough to hang around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT