ADVERTISEMENT

Hairston is the man

I'm sorry, but if a coach from either Tech or UVA was at this game and saw what I saw and STILL wasn't interested in at least taking a chance on him, no wonder both of those programs are mediocre at best in the ACC.

I know, I know, "he's too short." "he's not a thick back." All the usual mess you hear, but there was not a single play today where he was tackled on first contact. He ran around, over, through, and carrying LB's defenders. He has balance that is unbelievable and doesn't lose a step when it seems he is about to go down. I saw him last year and thought he couldn't get any better than that surely. Well, today proved me wrong. Sure, I'm no college scout, but there's got to be a way he can make an impact for a D1 team in this state. One heck of a player.

Reactions: Mannschild
@pitfan So youre saying 3a players arent good enough to play d1? Thats whats wrong with virginia recruiting now, VT and UVA been sucking cause they rhink all players must come from virginia beach and big schools, they maybe a couple inches taller or alittle bigger, but you cant measure a kids heart and work ethic
I agree with you. Navy as well as Jaq are very explosive backs who aren't afraid of contact and are fast as lightning. So many kids are overlooked because of the division they play in. It's not like they have a choice on that part. I'm sure a FCS program will pick up these guys and they will have great careers bc they have the talent and the heart to overcome those who overlooked them

Reactions: gdog4882
No I'm saying you are a magna vista fan, so clearly you are gonna say that he is the best running back in the state, and McGuire is the best qb in the state, but guess what there are hundreds of other teams saying the same thing about there students , yes he had great numbers today, but that's not enough, my son had 130 tackles this year, he will be lucky to play d-2/d-3, what we think is fast on a high school field is average on a D-1 college field

Reactions: gwb16
I agree with you. Navy as well as Jaq are very explosive backs who aren't afraid of contact and are fast as lightning. So many kids are overlooked because of the division they play in. It's not like they have a choice on that part. I'm sure a FCS program will pick up these guys and they will have great careers bc they have the talent and the heart to overcome those who overlooked them
Exactly what I'm saying, navy jones had a great career, but when he played Salem he had 1 good run, the rest of the time he was tossed around, now if he's average against Salem, what makes you think he would be the turning point for VT against an Ohio state, or Florida st, or any of the others they play

I said one of the best rb in state, nothing bout mcguire. Ive warched hairston for 3 years and i have seen many great rbs over years and played with great rbs, imo he is one of the best ive seen

Reactions: LowRider635
No I'm saying you are a magna vista fan, so clearly you are gonna say that he is the best running back in the state, and McGuire is the best qb in the state, but guess what there are hundreds of other teams saying the same thing about there students , yes he had great numbers today, but that's not enough, my son had 130 tackles this year, he will be lucky to play d-2/d-3, what we think is fast on a high school field is average on a D-1 college field

pit1fan, Hairston runs a 4.3 in the 40 and he may not be 6 ft but he has something that some 6ft players will never have and that is excellent grades, heart, and strength. Currently he has several D-1 FCS offers which include Delaware, Furman, etc. and personally it shouldn't be based on size alone but it seems to be that way. But hopefully after his performance on yesterday recruits will take a look at his transcript and see they would be getting a great student athlete. As a result hopefully his offers will increase tremendously.

GO WARRIORS! BACK2BACK CHAMPS!

pit1fan, Hairston runs a 4.3 in the 40 and he may not be 6 ft but he has something that some 6ft players will never have and that is excellent grades, heart, and strength. Currently he has several D-1 FCS offers which include Delaware, Furman, etc. and personally it shouldn't be based on size alone but it seems to be that way. But hopefully after his performance on yesterday recruits will take a look at his transcript and see they would be getting a great student athlete. As a result hopefully his offers will increase tremendously.

GO WARRIORS! BACK2BACK CHAMPS!
I've seen him play a few times, and I guess y'all use a different stop watch in ridgeway, 4.3 is approaching record times at the nfl combine, he's fast but not that fast

I've seen him play a few times, and I guess y'all use a different stop watch in ridgeway, 4.3 is approaching record times at the nfl combine, he's fast but not that fast
He was timed at VT summer camp at 4.38, im sure VT stopwatch wasnt provided by MV. Doesn't really matter though, MV had a great 4 years with this kid. If im not mistaken i think he went over the 7000 yrd mark yesterday. . Wherever he goes im sure he will succeed, hes just that type of kid. .

He was timed at VT summer camp at 4.38, im sure VT stopwatch wasnt provided by MV. Doesn't really matter though, MV had a great 4 years with this kid. If im not mistaken i think he went over the 7000 yrd mark yesterday. . Wherever he goes im sure he will succeed, hes just that type of kid. .
I can go with a 4.38, I took it earlier as a 4.3 flat, and please don't get me wrong I think he's a hell of a ball player, I just know what the colleges think, as I'm going thru it right now with my son , I wasn't throwing shots at him , but unfortunately in D-1 , size does matter

I can go with a 4.38, I took it earlier as a 4.3 flat, and please don't get me wrong I think he's a hell of a ball player, I just know what the colleges think, as I'm going thru it right now with my son , I wasn't throwing shots at him , but unfortunately in D-1 , size does matter
I agree, the next level is about size, verticals, times, but you do wish to see what someone with excellent talent could possibly do at that level, but alot of times it doesn't happen because that size is not there.

I agree, the next level is about size, verticals, times, but you do wish to see what someone with excellent talent could possibly do at that level, but alot of times it doesn't happen because that size is not there.
And I'd also like to add that he has a great attitude , I met him and a few othe MV players after the GW game when we walked out on the field after the game, I shook his hand and told him they played a great game, his response was thank you sir, and also thanks to you guys for bringing another title back to the Piedmont

Reactions: LowRider635
uva and vt has taken chances with what they have now, we all can see it hasn't worked so why not take a chance with jaq or navy!!!!

Wow pit1fan .08 secs off! A big difference. The bottom line is Hairston is a good student and a good athlete and whether it is FBS or FCS, whether his 40 time is 4.3 flat or 4.38 he will go D-1 and do his thing. Based on the norm ability, speed, grades, and size equals ACC, SEC, Big 10, etc offers but in Hairston's case size is all he lacks and if ACC, SEC, Big 10, etc. decides to pass him by it's okay he will go to college and do well both on the field and off the field. And I'm sure that .08 seconds will improve when he gets to the next level.

Reactions: ShadesMcgrades
He was best running back I saw this past season. Not only is he fast, he can break tackles. He does excellent job of following blocks, and he has great field vision. He brings back memories of Vic Hall at Gretna running the ball, the way he sees the field.

Navy Jones is not recruited either. There's a reason.
Navy does hold a potential offer from an FBS school but he has not qualified academically. That's his problem. I can't speak for the Hairston kid other than perhaps he is undersized and not blazing fast for being relatively small.

It's because there is a huge difference in 3-A high school football and D-1 college football
That's obvious but there is a huge difference between any level of high school football in any state and FBS or FCS football. Colleges still recruit guys from 3A, 2A, and 1A so, I'm not sure what your point is.

Recruiting. Despite the information available, the vast majority remain incredibly and almost inexplicably ignorant of the facts. I now understand why Rod remains out of most of these discussions. Time and again, it is a proven waste of time.

Reactions: VolNation85
Recruiting. Despite the information available, the vast majority remain incredibly and almost inexplicably ignorant of the facts. I now understand why Rod remains out of most of these discussions. Time and again, it is a proven waste of time.

conan-up-high.gif

That's obvious but there is a huge difference between any level of high school football in any state and FBS or FCS football. Colleges still recruit guys from 3A, 2A, and 1A so, I'm not sure what your point is.
Was simply telling you what we was told by a few colleges when we threw my sons stats at them, simply put if you don't come from a big market school, the coast area, Richmond , Salem , your chances at a D-1 school are slim, I'm not trying to argue, we were told there is a huge difference in 4-a and college , doesn't make sense to me, I think Hairston is the best running back in the area, but I'm nobody

Wow pit1fan .08 secs off! A big difference. The bottom line is Hairston is a good student and a good athlete and whether it is FBS or FCS, whether his 40 time is 4.3 flat or 4.38 he will go D-1 and do his thing. Based on the norm ability, speed, grades, and size equals ACC, SEC, Big 10, etc offers but in Hairston's case size is all he lacks and if ACC, SEC, Big 10, etc. decides to pass him by it's okay he will go to college and do well both on the field and off the field. And I'm sure that .08 seconds will improve when he gets to the next level.
You guys get so offended over nothing, yes there is a difference in 4.38, and 4.3, maybe not to the naked eye, but I know kids on the GW team that's running a 4.42, and I watched Hairston run away from them, now that's only .04 but it made a difference, kids a beast,

For what it is worth, I know that Appalachian State is very interested in Hairston.
That's great,hope he gets on somewhere , my son got an offer from ferrum, but he just made 1st team all region , so am hoping he might get some more opportunities

Was simply telling you what we was told by a few colleges when we threw my sons stats at them, simply put if you don't come from a big market school, the coast area, Richmond , Salem , your chances at a D-1 school are slim, I'm not trying to argue, we were told there is a huge difference in 4-a and college , doesn't make sense to me, I think Hairston is the best running back in the area, but I'm nobody
Out of sheer curiosity, what position does you son play and what were his stats?

5"11 186lbs , he made 1st team all region , so I'm hoping he'll get a little interest
Not trying to be negative but that is really undersized for an FBS linebacker. There are plenty of undersized linebackers at the FBS level but they are an anomaly. What is his 40 time? He might have a better chance of being recruited as a safety if he is fast enough. Is he a senior? If so, that might be another problem. If he is just now having a breakout season as a senior, most FBS schools have already issued all of their scholarships at this point in the season.

You guys get so offended over nothing, yes there is a difference in 4.38, and 4.3, maybe not to the naked eye, but I know kids on the GW team that's running a 4.42, and I watched Hairston run away from them, now that's only .04 but it made a difference, kids a beast,

Yes pit1fan it's natural to get offended when someone tries knock a great student athlete because of whatever reason. It's apparent that you have a child so put yourself in the position if another poster made comments that your son is just one of many LB's in the state. And to say that a player must be from a big market to have a chance to play D-1 is definitely not true. MV has a SS/WR right now who had 17 D-1 offers from various schools including Maryland, NC State, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, etc. and he has committed to Wake Forest. He will complete his high school studies and enroll early at Wake Forest in January and this kid is from Henry County, VA not Richmond, Salem, or Tidewater. The bottom line is getting exposure at combines and camps so that they can get exposure.

Yes pit1fan it's natural to get offended when someone tries knock a great student athlete because of whatever reason. It's apparent that you have a child so put yourself in the position if another poster made comments that your son is just one of many LB's in the state. And to say that a player must be from a big market to have a chance to play D-1 is definitely not true. MV has a SS/WR right now who had 17 D-1 offers from various schools including Maryland, NC State, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, etc. and he has committed to Wake Forest. He will complete his high school studies and enroll early at Wake Forest in January and this kid is from Henry County, VA not Richmond, Salem, or Tidewater. The bottom line is getting exposure at combines and camps so that they can get exposure.
Camps and combines are HUGE, especially if the athlete is under the radar. The summers leading to sophomore and junior seasons are vital. Im an assistant high school coach and I suggest to my players to hit the camp circuit every summer, especially those that have what it takes to play at the college level.

Not trying to be negative but that is really undersized for an FBS linebacker. There are plenty of undersized linebackers at the FBS level but they are an anomaly. What is his 40 time? He might have a better chance of being recruited as a safety if he is fast enough. Is he a senior? If so, that might be another problem. If he is just now having a breakout season as a senior, most FBS schools have already issued all of their scholarships at this point in the season.
No your not negative at all, tho apparently some think I'm trying to be, we know he would be moving to safety if he plays college ball, and no he had a hell of a season last year to,

Well let me apologize if you thought I was trying to knock the young man, let me say it again , he's the best running back I seen in 2 years, but what you said is what I'm talking about, you have 1 kid at MV with several offers. Why is it that LT has 8-9, or whatever it is they have, now there are exceptions , I know , my point is if Hairston were playing in Salem , or a team from the coast or Richmond , he'd have a bunch of offers from major schools, as a matter of fact I think you all have several kids there that could play at the next level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT