ADVERTISEMENT

Hairston is the man

No your not negative at all, tho apparently some think I'm trying to be, we know he would be moving to safety if he plays college ball, and no he had a hell of a season last year to,
Good luck with your son. Ferrum would be a good choice if he wants to play ball.

I must have spent the last 30 minutes writing on this. I dumped it all and it's for the best. Again, GL.

Good luck with your son. Ferrum would be a good choice if he wants to play ball.

I must have spent the last 30 minutes writing on this. I dumped it all and it's for the best. Again, GL.

LOL, I played a response over and over in my head for about two hours before I decided that it would be better not to post.

Well let me apologize if you thought I was trying to knock the young man, let me say it again , he's the best running back I seen in 2 years, but what you said is what I'm talking about, you have 1 kid at MV with several offers. Why is it that LT has 8-9, or whatever it is they have, now there are exceptions , I know , my point is if Hairston were playing in Salem , or a team from the coast or Richmond , he'd have a bunch of offers from major schools, as a matter of fact I think you all have several kids there that could play at the next level

LT has 8-9 kids with offers because they are from Norfolk a bigger city where the population is more than Henry County. This allows their football teams to weed out the players that would be on the sideline for any other high school and fill their teams with the more talented only because there are more kids in the area. So basically, their teams can be full of Hairston's whereas smaller areas may only have one or two Hairston's because of the smaller population. And as for MV the QB has signed D-1 (FCS) North Carolina Central, Hairston has D-1 (FCS) offers already just hasn't committed yet, 2 LB's have upcoming visits, and I'm sure there are several who will get late D-3 offers. So yes MV does produce college athletes every year whether it is D-1 (FBS), D-1 (FCS), D-11, or D-111. And playing at Salem, in the Tidewater, or Richmond wouldn't have any impact on Hairston getting a guarantee offer from a D-1 (FBS) school. It's about ability, grades, and size right?

LT has 8-9 kids with offers because they are from Norfolk a bigger city where the population is more than Henry County. This allows their football teams to weed out the players that would be on the sideline for any other high school and fill their teams with the more talented only because there are more kids in the area. So basically, their teams can be full of Hairston's whereas smaller areas may only have one or two Hairston's because of the smaller population. And as for MV the QB has signed D-1 (FCS) North Carolina Central, Hairston has D-1 (FCS) offers already just hasn't committed yet, 2 LB's have upcoming visits, and I'm sure there are several who will get late D-3 offers. So yes MV does produce college athletes every year whether it is D-1 (FBS), D-1 (FCS), D-11, or D-111. And playing at Salem, in the Tidewater, or Richmond wouldn't have any impact on Hairston getting a guarantee offer from a D-1 (FBS) school. It's about ability, grades, and size right?
Sooooooo, when I said there was more rb in the state you got offended , now you just said that other teams are full of hairstons, I'm confused ,I said you get more exposure in the big market areas, someone said I was wrong, now you just said the same thing , the sad part is I wasn't knocking anyone, its like talking with Salem fans, if I say it's 1 o'clock , your gonna say it's 12:59, good luck , best wishes and prayers for all

Hairston was the best offensive player I have seen all year and yes I have seen football at every level but 6A. What that means for the next level who knows but the kid can play and somebody will be getting hopefully a productive football player. Him having the ability to possibly get a free education and play the game he loves, win win for him. Good luck to him in the future.

Reactions: lancerfirst
It only takes one school to like a kid. He can play(will be a steal for somebody) and if his intelligence and work ethic is as represented(not doubting it is I just do not know him personally) he will make the most of any given opportunity. Lots of valid observations and opinions in this thread in my opinion. The unfortunate reality is that often times measurables are the first line of demarcation and intangibles such as heart, work ethic, etc. are not factored in initially. As competitive as FBS is and the scrutiny that coaches are under in recruiting make it more palatable to swing and miss on a guy with measurables than to take a chance on a guy whose physical measurements stack him up as an outlier.

Sooooooo, when I said there was more rb in the state you got offended , now you just said that other teams are full of hairstons, I'm confused ,I said you get more exposure in the big market areas, someone said I was wrong, now you just said the same thing , the sad part is I wasn't knocking anyone, its like talking with Salem fans, if I say it's 1 o'clock , your gonna say it's 12:59, good luck , best wishes and prayers for all

pit1fan, this will be the last post I make to you because I see what you are about. This is what you said "It's because there is a huge difference in 3-A high school football and D-1 college football.No I'm saying you are a magna vista fan, so clearly you are gonna say that he is the best running back in the state, and McGuire is the best qb in the state, but guess what there are hundreds of other teams saying the same thing about there students , yes he had great numbers today, but that's not enough, my son had 130 tackles this year, he will be lucky to play d-2/d-3, what we think is fast on a high school field is average on a D-1 college field." So if all of that meant that there are other rb's in the state I'm sure I'm not the only one who missed that interpretation. And to correct you I got offended when you made the comment that because Hairston's numbers were good on Saturday that wouldn't be enough. First, I need you to check his entire stats for his high school career. He didn't just have a great game on Saturday but do your research and you will see he has had a great 4 years at Magna Vista and his 2nd state championship game on Saturday was the icing on the cake. And you never said a player gets more exposure from big market areas but maybe you meant that and didn't state it correctly. But this is what you said, " Was simply telling you what we was told by a few colleges when we threw my sons stats at them, simply put if you don't come from a big market school, the coast area, Richmond , Salem , your chances at a D-1 school are slim, I'm not trying to argue, we were told there is a huge difference in 4-a and college , doesn't make sense to me, I think Hairston is the best running back in the area, but I'm nobody." And yes someone should have told you that you were wrong about this statement because I haven't seen nor have you seen a college roster that only has players from big market areas and from 5A and up high schools. If you do see that please post it so this board can see it because I can tell you that Wake Forest will have a player on their roster from small Henry County, VA who played 3A football at Magna Vista and when he started his career at Magna Vista they were 2A. And you aren't talking to a Salem fan you are talking to a MV fan so don't compare me to anybody but me. I can tell time so if you say it is 1:00 then it is 1:00 unless your clock is the same one that you claimed was used to get Hairston's 40 time. Bottom line Hairston is a great student, great athlete, and great kid with great stats and he has multiple offers and like every other athlete that is being recruited he is weighing his options to get what is best for him whether it is D-1 FBS or D-1 FCS. Trust me he will play and do well in the classroom wherever he goes and if you are having difficulty dealing with the recruiting process for your child I do feel for you but do not knock anybody's chances of doing well because of your situation. As been stated before Hairston will play college ball regardless and currently his offers are from D-1 FCS colleges not D-11 or D-111. So I think that is great and it will be even greater if a D-1 FBS college gives him a chance. It is one thing everyone must realize that MV players are humble and they will be satisfied with any opportunity they are given because if their goal is to play NFL one day I don't think there is a question about what high school level they played on or what area they are from that will determine if they are drafted to the NFL. Now good luck and best wishes to you and your son because MV players have written their resumes these past 2 years and I know they will be fine.

He played lb , he had 129 tackles, 2 picks , 4 sacks, 4 fumble recoveries, 5 forced fumbles , but they say he's undersized
Pit1fan, it seems your son had a fine season, but size and speed do matter in all levels of college football. I have no clue who he is, but I will try and offer some basic information relative to possible lack of opportunity.

1. 6'2" 220 lbs. Average size of d-1 lb.
Richmond has one lb with size equitable to your sons and he has played very little in five years. He only plays on prevent packages and is very fast. With average college o lineman being 6'4" he surely lacks height to get sound reads.

2. Must have speed to chase down rb's.
Your son likely has played against good backs in the past, but most college teams have 5 of the fastest rb's in the state/country. Can he match that speed both laterally and chasing?

3. Must be able to control and preferably move back all blockers. Average d-1 running backs, receivers and fullbacks are much bigger than your son. Not to mention 325 pound lineman. No matter how sound his technique is at 5'11 186lbs. I dont believe your son is going to move these elite athletes.

4. Does a player have upside. Has your son reached his growth potential? Can he improve his technique, get stronger, faster etc.....

Please dont get me wrong I am sure your son is a fine high school player. These are just four factors of many. No d-1 coach is going to gamble a scholarship on such a huge size risk.

One thing to remember. College football is a big business. Your sons lack of recruitment is not a personal attack on his heart, knowleadge or character. Its simply about two things. Winning and keeping a job. Honestly ask yourself. Would you prefer to take a machine gun or reliable revolver into battle?

Good luck to your son. There is no shame in d-3 football. Be happy that he can extend his career four more years and get a quality education.

Pit1fan, it seems your son had a fine season, but size and speed do matter in all levels of college football. I have no clue who he is, but I will try and offer some basic information relative to possible lack of opportunity.

Richmond has one lb with size equitable to your sons and he has played very little in five years. He only plays on prevent packages and is very fast. With average college o lineman being 6'4" he surely lacks height to get sound reads.

Your son likely has played against good backs in the past, but most college teams have 5 of the fastest rb's in the state/country. Can he match that speed both laterally and chasing?

3. Must be able to control and preferably move back all blockers. Average d-1 running backs, receivers and fullbacks are much bigger than your son. Not to mention 325 pound lineman. No matter how sound his technique is at 5'11 186lbs. I dont believe your son is going to move these elite athletes.

4. Does a player have upside. Has your son reached his growth potential? Can he improve his technique, get stronger, faster etc.....

Please dont get me wrong I am sure your son is a fine high school player. These are just four factors of many. No d-1 coach is going to gamble a scholarship on such a huge size risk.

One thing to remember. College football is a big business. Your sons lack of recruitment is not a personal attack on his heart, knowleadge or character. Its simply about two things. Winning and keeping a job. Honestly ask yourself. Would you prefer to take a machine gun or reliable revolver into battle?

Good luck to your son. There is no shame in d-3 football. Be happy that he can extend his career four more years and get a quality education.

GREAT POST!

Was simply telling you what we was told by a few colleges when we threw my sons stats at them, simply put if you don't come from a big market school, the coast area, Richmond , Salem , your chances at a D-1 school are slim, I'm not trying to argue, we were told there is a huge difference in 4-a and college , doesn't make sense to me, I think Hairston is the best running back in the area, but I'm nobody
Just a little here.

MV already had two kids with DI offers. They were noticed for a reason. How does that support your conclusion that you have be be from a big school to be noticed? Plenty of DIs come from smaller schools. That's just a fact. But it does make for an obvious question. Would most very good 3A players be as good at 6A? In the vast majority of cases, the answer is no so a school like Oscar Smith does have a more direct line to DI schools but they have also provided a proven line of players that can play at that level.

Yes, there is a huge difference between ANY level of Virginia HS Football and DI. But that's not emphatic enough. HUGE is better. Good athletes do very well in HS. DI is elite athletes. A 5'10" 180 lb LB will get killed there and no one is going to risk their job on such a chance. They risk their job by just suggesting it.

As far as a Hairston goes, he's got an excellent resume and when the big game came, the kid performed. But he went to the camps during the summer. Apparently he put in some very fast times. A kid that runs under 4.4, will be a two time All-State and performs in the spotlight got plenty attention. Vince Coleman was and still is small but was also one of the most recruited RBs in the Country. Which makes me ask the question of why I can find virtually nothing for Hairston on the most used recruiting sites? Other kids from MV are prominent. He's hardly under the radar. What gives? Some here have said he has offers. I can't find that anywhere.

One more thing which seems to be a little misinformed. DIII's can't make offers. That's just NCAA rules. They can help with Financial Aide to some extent, but there can be no Athletic Scholarship offers involved. Just an alternative option, should you desire it. NAIA schools can make offers. UVA Weselyn is one. Good team. Good school.

Reactions: gwb16
Ok guys, I'm gonna try this again, I was not knocking anyone, some of it was an attempt at sarcasm, some frustration, and I mistyped some things. All I was trying to say is I'm biased towards kids in this region, I went to the JF / Staunton river game and there was a man there from a college looking at the overstreet kid there, I talked to him most of the second half, not about my son or anyone in pirticular , and he was explaining a lot to me about recruiting , the point I was trying to get across is I really hate if there are kids in this area that miss a chance at college ball because of some stereotype , I've seen Hairston play 3 times, and he's a threat everytime he touches the ball, now the fellow that I was talking to said some kids do get overlooked because of the size and location of the school, as well as the size of the athlete, I thought I apologized for mis speaking, I meant no harm, I would NEVER talk bad about anyone else's child, I honestly hope all the kids from MV, and every where else go to college. Once again, I meant no harm, was talking from frustration!!!

Thank you , and I'm very happy with anywhere he furthers his education, and I agree there is no shame in D-3, he has played some of the best RB in the state and done very well, he only played inside lb this year because the team was short on lb's, he will be probably playing safety in college, I am familiar with college football , I played 3 years of it till I broke my elbow, I'm 6'2 , 235 lbs, and I was a little small,( unfortunately he took after his mom) lol ,thank you again for the post sir

Just a little here.

MV already had two kids with DI offers. They were noticed for a reason. How does that support your conclusion that you have be be from a big school to be noticed? Plenty of DIs come from smaller schools. That's just a fact. But it does make for an obvious question. Would most very good 3A players be as good at 6A? In the vast majority of cases, the answer is no so a school like Oscar Smith does have a more direct line to DI schools but they have also provided a proven line of players that can play at that level.

Yes, there is a huge difference between ANY level of Virginia HS Football and DI. But that's not emphatic enough. HUGE is better. Good athletes do very well in HS. DI is elite athletes. A 5'10" 180 lb LB will get killed there and no one is going to risk their job on such a chance. They risk their job by just suggesting it.

As far as a Hairston goes, he's got an excellent resume and when the big game came, the kid performed. But he went to the camps during the summer. Apparently he put in some very fast times. A kid that runs under 4.4, will be a two time All-State and performs in the spotlight got plenty attention. Vince Coleman was and still is small but was also one of the most recruited RBs in the Country. Which makes me ask the question of why I can find virtually nothing for Hairston on the most used recruiting sites? Other kids from MV are prominent. He's hardly under the radar. What gives? Some here have said he has offers. I can't find that anywhere.

One more thing which seems to be a little misinformed. DIII's can't make offers. That's just NCAA rules. They can help with Financial Aide to some extent, but there can be no Athletic Scholarship offers involved. Just an alternative option, should you desire it. NAIA schools can make offers. UVA Weselyn is one. Good team. Good school.
Yes sir, that is what I'm saying, why is he not noticed, what is the reason, that's what my problem is, 2 time state champ, 350 yards in the championship game, maybe I'm wrong , but I think he could play in 6-a and be successful

Thank you , and I'm very happy with anywhere he furthers his education, and I agree there is no shame in D-3, he has played some of the best RB in the state and done very well, he only played inside lb this year because the team was short on lb's, he will be probably playing safety in college, I am familiar with college football , I played 3 years of it till I broke my elbow, I'm 6'2 , 235 lbs, and I was a little small,( unfortunately he took after his mom) lol ,thank you again for the post sir
Thats fair sir. If he can tackle as well as you say he will do well at strong safety at Ferrum or any other d-3 program. If he was the mlb for the lb caveliers then he surely posesses good instincts. Good luck.

I posted earlier this year about a comment that Dyrell Roberts made to me as his freshman year at Tech was getting underway. Dyrell starred at Smithfield, we were AA D-4 (4A today), as a point of reference. D-Rob rushed for over 2K yards and like 30 TD's or something absurd like that during his Sr year at Smithfield. From his mouth, he told me that there were football players on Tech's roster that most likely would never play a collegiate down for VT that would have rushed for over 2K in the Bay Rivers District. He said he was blessed with a great opportunity to shine and was extremely grateful. That's not recruiter talk, or coach talk or dad talk, those words came from a kid that was still 18 years old. Something to chew on....
Oh, and he also told me the first time he ran an out and a LB was running with him stride for stride, he realized that he had a lot of work to do, because NO ONE did that to him at the high school level. Perspective can be one sided, but he was rather blunt and humble about his opportunity.

Reactions: shauntclair
I posted earlier this year about a comment that Dyrell Roberts made to me as his freshman year at Tech was getting underway. Dyrell starred at Smithfield, we were AA D-4 (4A today), as a point of reference. D-Rob rushed for over 2K yards and like 30 TD's or something absurd like that during his Sr year at Smithfield. From his mouth, he told me that there were football players on Tech's roster that most likely would never play a collegiate down for VT that would have rushed for over 2K in the Bay Rivers District. He said he was blessed with a great opportunity to shine and was extremely grateful. That's not recruiter talk, or coach talk or dad talk, those words came from a kid that was still 18 years old. Something to chew on....
Oh, and he also told me the first time he ran an out and a LB was running with him stride for stride, he realized that he had a lot of work to do, because NO ONE did that to him at the high school level. Perspective can be one sided, but he was rather blunt and humble about his opportunity.
I recall your story. Thanks again for reposting that piece of perspective.

Yes sir, that is what I'm saying, why is he not noticed, what is the reason, that's what my problem is, 2 time state champ, 350 yards in the championship game, maybe I'm wrong , but I think he could play in 6-a and be successful
You're asking the wrong question. He was prominently noticed. Why wasn't he selected?

Size does matter and that may be all there is to it. Here's a video of a little guy that went on to play at Southern Illinois and did well as a kick returner. He and Hairston are quite similar but Stevie looks even faster to me. He is also playing at a higher level of competition.

Just as an aside, Clay Matthews and Santana Moss had no scholarships to College. They were both walk-ons. Recruiting is not an exact science. It's poker. If you have a Full House, you want to go all in. That doesn't mean the other guy isn't sitting with 4 Aces but the odds are dramatically in your favor.

You're asking the wrong question. He was prominently noticed. Why wasn't he selected?

Size does matter and that may be all there is to it. Here's a video of a little guy that went on to play at Southern Illinois and did well as a kick returner. He and Hairston are quite similar but Stevie looks even faster to me. He is also playing at a higher level of competition.

Just as an aside, Clay Matthews and Santana Moss had no scholarships to College. They were both walk-ons. Recruiting is not an exact science. It's poker. If you have a Full House, you want to go all in. That doesn't mean the other guy isn't sitting with 4 Aces but the odds are dramatically in your favor.
Yes sir , you are right, I guess it's just that I've seen all these kids in this area for a couple of years now, and I'm a little biased towards them , ( I'm not a vista fan but I've seen them a few times)

Thats fair sir. If he can tackle as well as you say he will do well at strong safety at Ferrum or any other d-3 program. If he was the mlb for the lb caveliers then he surely posesses good instincts. Good luck.
Thank you sir, and no he was the middle lb at GW Danville

Thank you sir, and no he was the middle lb at GW Danville
Well sir your son can play. Hits like a freight train and defended the pass quite well. You may want to send some film to the D-ii schools in west virginia. If this is the same kid i have watched film on (#13) he can play the whip or rover in DII. Still a bit too small to play mlb. He makes nice pursuit tackles, but gets tied up on a gap blitzes and straight one on one matchups with o lineman.

Last edited:
Well sir your son can play. Hits like a freight train and defended the pass quite well. You may want to send some film to the D-ii schools in west virginia. If this is the same kid i have watched film on (#13) he can play the whip or rover in DII. Still a bit too small to play mlb. He makes nice pursuit tackles, but gets tied up on a gap blitzes and straight one on one matchups with o lineman.
Yes sir that's him, and to be honest with you I was nervous about him playing inside this year,and he knows if he plays at the next level it won't be at lb, he's actually starting to get some coaches getting in touch with him now, blue field called today, but overall I was very proud of him to play a position that he shouldn't have been playing and still make 1st team all region and 2nd team all state, and his academics are very good, so I've got my fingers crossed . Thank you again

Yes sir that's him, and to be honest with you I was nervous about him playing inside this year,and he knows if he plays at the next level it won't be at lb, he's actually starting to get some coaches getting in touch with him now, blue field called today, but overall I was very proud of him to play a position that he shouldn't have been playing and still make 1st team all region and 2nd team all state, and his academics are very good, so I've got my fingers crossed . Thank you again
GL with your son. Just remember, at this point, FCS and FBS are almost certainly out. The number of offers in VA that will come at this time to that level and a 2016 kid can be counted on less than one hand. DII and NAIA is the way to persue. DIII has plenty of fine programs. Strongly suggest you do NOT go the walk-on route but cannot deny there are success stories.

If things don't work out, let him go where he wants the most. It might be tough but it is for most. Trust in your roots and that he's earned the right to make some choices now. Very best to you both.

GL with your son. Just remember, at this point, FCS and FBS are almost certainly out. The number of offers in VA that will come at this time to that level and a 2016 kid can be counted on less than one hand. DII and NAIA is the way to persue. DIII has plenty of fine programs. Strongly suggest you do NOT go the walk-on route but cannot deny there are success stories.

If things don't work out, let him go where he wants the most. It might be tough but it is for most. Trust in your roots and that he's earned the right to make some choices now. Very best to you both.
Thank you sir, I really wish I would have found this va preps site before now, I've learned a lot of valuable info from you guys, the main thing I'm concerned with is him furthering his education, but it would be nice to see him play a few more years, I'm really gonna miss Friday nights, we've had a few coaches get in touch with him the last few days, do you know how long he has to make his decision ? And what do they mean by preffered walk on, I take your word as far as walking on,just not sure what they meant, thank you again

Thank you sir, I really wish I would have found this va preps site before now, I've learned a lot of valuable info from you guys, the main thing I'm concerned with is him furthering his education, but it would be nice to see him play a few more years, I'm really gonna miss Friday nights, we've had a few coaches get in touch with him the last few days, do you know how long he has to make his decision ? And what do they mean by preffered walk on, I take your word as far as walking on,just not sure what they meant, thank you again
Prefererred walk-on is a player that will come in to practices at the beginning of August with the schollies and is guaranteed a spot on the team in year 1. Coachs will let you know of the status straight out. A walk-on comes in when all the regular students arrive. About 3 weeks after the rest and really stands very little chance. Even less at a non walk-on friendly school, which most unfortunately are.

He only needs to make a decision at an offer. Take invites to schools and make sure you bring a disk or provide an access to HUDL so they can view his highlights. Make absolutely certain your HS Coach knows as he is your best advocate with College Coachs. What a parent has to say has almost zippy weight and such opinions are placed in the same place most player submitted highlight disks are. The trash.

If he gets offered a full ride and tuition is an issue, take it immediately and with enthusiasm. Schools can pull an offer at any time and for any reason but an oral commitment is normally not withdrawn without extreme circumstances. Signing day is in Febuary. GL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT