ADVERTISEMENT

Hanover @ Dinwiddie

Dang, I kicked that one. Beat them 34-17. I was at the game, but in those days I was actually working my real job. Not sure how I missed that one the other night when I was researching the Generals possible opponents. Sorry, I always cross reference everything. Thanks for catching that. Impressive win tonight for our boys. I have been watching Dinwiddie since 1989 and this team has a unique chemistry. Very business like and unselfish. Extremely disciplined and as usual well coach. No one out works Billy Mills. He's hungry and on a mission. You can see the determination in his eyes. Our boys will be prepared.

Yes it will. I rooted like heck for Sam at VA Tech, but didn't enjoy watching him play at Hanover. CH I believe you are the only General qb to beat Hanover in the playoffs.
They were tough in the those days. HS had some doozies with them too. Sam Rogers,, then Cheatham. We had a few doozies with Dinwiddie too...

Yea I got to watch the Dinwiddie vs Hanover battles up until my sophomore year we met Sam in the last central region championship and whew I never would of thought a one man show could beat us 35-0

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
They were tough in the those days. HS had some doozies with them too. Sam Rogers,, then Cheatham. We had a few doozies with Dinwiddie too...
Yep. The last time we played HSHS was in 2011 and 2012. The Springers won both hard fought games (20-16 and 28-26). Both the 2011 and 2012 General teams lost in the first round of the playoffs. Good teams, but not nearly as good as 2008, 2010, 2013, and 2016. People often forget how competitive Dinwiddie has been since Mills arrival in 2005. He takes on all comers and has won in AAA class five and class four Someday we might get another shot at the Springers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Yes it will. I rooted like heck for Sam at VA Tech, but didn't enjoy watching him play at Hanover. CH I believe you are the only General qb to beat Hanover in the playoff
Yep. The last time we played HSHS was in 2011 and 2012. The Springers win both hard fought games (20-16 and 28-26). Both the 2011 and 2012 lost in the first round of the playoffs. Good teams, but not nearly as good as 2008, 2010, 2013, and 2016. People often forget how competitive Dinwiddie has been since Mills arrival in 2005. He takes on all comers and has won in AAA class five and class four Someday we might get another shot at the Springers.
Don't think you want to play them this yr. They are loaded

Highland Springs is always loaded. I think Coach Mills would love the challenge. I am not implying we could beat the Springers, but we have the athletes to keep it fairly close.

Everybody on the site knows that I humbly keep my opinions about the Generals on the down low; however, this team is damn good. I am not talking about a team of superstars either. Just a group of very talented kids that go to war in practice and games. Their competitiveness is unreal.

@SFUWO as a Salem fan you for one should appreciate the fact that a "team" can outperform a group of studs. Do you remember the the alleged undermanned 2015 Salem team that defeated the mighty Lake Taylor squad in overtime. I was there to witness one of the grittiest performances ever by a team no one expected to win.

Enough of this talk. Our boys have to take care of the business at hand. The Hawks will be quite the challenge.

Highland Springs is always loaded. I think Coach Mills would love the challenge. I am not implying we could beat the Springers, but we have the athletes to keep it fairly close.

Everybody on the site knows that I humbly keep my opinions about the Generals on the down low; however, this team is damn good. I am not talking about a team of superstars either. Just a group of very talented kids that go to war in practice and games. Their competitiveness is unreal.

@SFUWO as a Salem fan you for one should appreciate the fact that a "team" can outperform a group of studs. Do you remember the the alleged undermanned 2015 Salem team that defeated the mighty Lake Taylor squad in overtime. I was there to witness one of the grittiest performances ever by a team no one expected to win.

Enough of this talk. Our boys have to take care of the business at hand. The Hawks will be quite the challenge.
I'm definitely pulling for your young men. Dinwiddie is definitely looking like an elite team (State Fav at this point). You are correct when you state an undermanned team can beat a loaded squad. It's about how the team plays as a unit. I also believe style of play plays a big part too (A beats B, B beats C, C beats A). I wouldn't count Dinwiddie out of any game. Highland Springs would be a tall task for any team this yr. They are talented and play together as a team. Johnson is doing a great job. I personally would love to see a Dinwiddie vs Highland Springs game.

BN, did you get the final stats from M last night? If so, can you post the most important numbers please?

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I did not. Prior to Powhatan's last drive they had 24 yards rushing and Dinwiddie had 300+. Powhatan had 110 total yards and Dinwiddie had 455. Powhatan threw two deep balls for about 75 yards on the final drive so Im guessing the had around 190-200 yards total. We may have dipped just below 500 yards when the young lads took a few knees on our last possession.

Last edited:
After an expected businesslike effort Dinwiddie will now face one of it's playoff nemesis in Hanover. These two teams first met in 2008 5A Regions. Dinwiddie won the first two meetings, but has lost the last three playoff games in the series. They have split the two regular season matchups with Dinwiddie winning in 2016. Hanover leads the overall series 4-3. The two coaches Mills and Rogers have never faced off.

Coach Mills currently holds a 24-13 playoff record at Dinwiddie and has advanced the Regional finals seven times, winning four. Dinwiddie has won 20 of their last 21 games. Their last lost occurred in the 2nd round of the 2021 playoffs. Dinwiddie is averaging 52 points a game while giving up 7 (MOV +45).

Coach Rogers currently holds a an overall record at Hanover of 16-9 and won his first playoff game last week (1-0). Hanover averages 34 points a game while giving up 22 (MOV +12).

This years game is a bit different from years past as the styles between the two teams do not conflict as much. Yes, Dinwiddie's tempo is much faster, but both teams like to pound you with the run while keeping you honest with the pass. Hanover often utilizes two quarterbacks in the small/speedy Beau Sahnow and big/bruising Cole Elrod. Hanover's offense will go as far as the two young men take it. Both can run, pass, and catch. Scheming to stop them will be a huge chore. Dinwiddie's defense is tough to run on, so I look for Hanover use misdirection and short passes to move the ball. Don't be surprised if Rogers brings out some trickery to gain an advantage.

Dinwiddie will force the Hanover defense to stop the run. Last week Coach Mills utilized a single wing formation to create even more opportunities for his huge assortment of capable runners. The offense goes through Harry Dalton who has accumulated 2, 771 yards of total offense and 42 touchdowns (passing and running).

It easy to see where the key to this game lies. DEFENSE! Dinwiddie does not give up much on the ground (77 ypg) and their defensive backs are just as stingy. Hanover is a physical team and will present some match up problems offensively; however, the Hawks will have a tough task in containing Dinwiddie high octane offense. Hanover will not be able to match scores with Dinwiddie and if the Generals stop the run it's game over.

Generals 35-Hanover 14

Last edited:
In honor of one of Dinwiddie's finest quarterbacks @General172011 here is a 2010 throwback video of the last time the Generals defeated Hanover in the playoffs. Take note of the qb #10 for Hanover. Its none other than Mr. VA Tech and the current Hanover Head Coach Sam Rogers. Two good teams going at then and now. Let's ride!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT