ADVERTISEMENT

Hermitage v Highland Springs "The Rematch!"

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
The time has come! HSHS v The Herm! Both snuck past tough semi final opponents, HS's a little more convincing than the Herm's. HS took a commanding 28-0 lead into the 4th qtr., but allowed Henrico to mount what looked like the beginnings of a comeback, but it was too little, too late.
Herm's was a defensive battle until a big offensive play and a big interception on defense sealed the deal.
IMO HSHS has a defense that is just as strong and Herm's. Herm has found some ground on the offensive side of the ball as well. I do believe HSHS has more fire power on the offense which is going to mean.... one helluva battle next weekend!!
Two evenly matched teams going for what we now can "call" The Central Region Title Game" again, should be a humm dinger! Just like the last (and many of the others) matchup it's going to come down to who has the ball last and can score! I can't wait!
I hate Hermitage's facility! The stands suck, their field sucks, the concession stand is awful. Take your own snacks, 'cause you might not get one there with the 9 mile long lines..
Go Springers!!!

Gonna be a battle for sure. I picked HSHS to be the Richmond rep in the semis and I'm staying with that pick. I have to be honest though, I haven't been super impressed with them in the playoffs as a whole. Yes they had a 28-0 lead last night but Henrico had, what, 972 turnovers? Seriously 5 in the first half and it was 0-0 after 1. If Henrico takes care of the ball, could have been a very different outcome, though I will give all credit due to the Springers for taking advantage of those turnovers. Obviously, you and I both agreed that HSHS was less than impressive in the first round as well. As far as next Friday goes, I agree with your defensive assessment, pretty evenly match. I give a slight edge to Hermitage. Offensively, I'll take HSHS. I've said before, I think our offense with it's lack of consistency and often slow starts against good teams will be our downfall.

Could not agree more with our facilities, they are awful. That needs to change!

I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving and will be attending Colonial Forge/Manchester, which should be a dandy. Do me a favor Springer76, if we win, stand up and applaude for me. I'll be watching the scores from Colonial Forge and if you guys win, I'll be applauding for you!

Reactions: springer76
Gonna be a battle for sure. I picked HSHS to be the Richmond rep in the semis and I'm staying with that pick. I have to be honest though, I haven't been super impressed with them in the playoffs as a whole. Yes they had a 28-0 lead last night but Henrico had, what, 972 turnovers? Seriously 5 in the first half and it was 0-0 after 1. If Henrico takes care of the ball, could have been a very different outcome, though I will give all credit due to the Springers for taking advantage of those turnovers. Obviously, you and I both agreed that HSHS was less than impressive in the first round as well. As far as next Friday goes, I agree with your defensive assessment, pretty evenly match. I give a slight edge to Hermitage. Offensively, I'll take HSHS. I've said before, I think our offense with it's lack of consistency and often slow starts against good teams will be our downfall.

Could not agree more with our facilities, they are awful. That needs to change!

I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving and will be attending Colonial Forge/Manchester, which should be a dandy. Do me a favor Springer76, if we win, stand up and applaude for me. I'll be watching the scores from Colonial Forge and if you guys win, I'll be applauding for you!
I certainly will! Sorry you aren't going, I wanted to catch up with you and finally meet! Darn it!! You'll have fun at CF. They have a very nice facility and treat you well! I've been there a hand full of times. HS scrimmaged them for 4 years straight then played them 1st game of the regular season for 2 years before we scheduled Hermitage.

Reactions: Herm95
I certainly will! Sorry you aren't going, I wanted to catch up with you and finally meet! Darn it!! You'll have fun at CF.
Thanks and I know, I was hoping to catch up with you as well. Maybe the State Championship game if one of our schools make it, and I think whoever wins, will.

Colonial Forge is great, I've been there for 2-3 games, including a few years ago when Hermitage went up there and played them.

I’m going with Manchester or Westfield. Disagree on class 6 757 though. Think Landstown is the real deal.

Freedom Woodbridge got beat by Hylton right?

I agree with Springer76 on Colonial Forge, I certainly think the CF/Manchester winner will win the Class 6 title. I'll be at the game barring some unforeseen circumstance. I'll keep everyone updated over on the scoreboard

I know everyone is discussing this rematch, can we switch gears for a minute and discuss the other big rematch in Region C. Tuscarora only lost to Stone Bridge by 1 pt during the regular season 14-13. This should be a good game to watch.

I know everyone is discussing this rematch, can we switch gears for a minute and discuss the other big rematch in Region C. Tuscarora only lost to Stone Bridge by 1 pt during the regular season 14-13. This should be a good game to watch.

Ok you started it off... what do you think happens here?

Root and like are two different things!

We played worse game of year with a bunch of penalties with key players missing in their house and still walked away with the W!

Root....Like .....all you want!!!

SB going to win BIG!!!!

Your game and our game could conceivably go either way! Let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I think if we play like we did Friday nigh with Henrico, we will win.
I don't know much about Tusky, except that they are tough! Good luck Big Tate 73!

Reactions: sbbulldogs
I'm a little up in the air on SB/Tusky, but I just have a weird feeling about it. I think the first game was a bit of an anomaly, SB basically had their banana peel game (except they didn't lose) and like BigTate73 said, some key players out at the time. It might be close, but to me it screams Stone Bridge blow out. Stone Bridge, imo, is just much the best in this match up!

Good Luck to everyone this weekend!!

Couple key lineman including pull guard. The missing players really weren't the reason the game was close. They were missing a key RB though so it probably balanced out. As I said at the time they played a really good game, coach called a great game on offense and just was a very odd game with lots of penalties on many third and shorts for us. We had the ball inside thier redzone and took a few knees with 90 seconds left. We had driven all the way down the field so I'm confident they could have scored if needed too. They are a good team, I spent many hours watching thier key skill players train over the summer with some of our kids. If we don't show up (at home) they could surely win. With all that said I think we post and win by two TDs.

Recently moved here this year. I seen this game and learned the High Schools in area. I so want to see this game but Im going home for holidays and my home town team is still in it( 1 loss in 3 years, Appomattox).

Recently moved here this year. I seen this game and learned the High Schools in area. I so want to see this game but Im going home for holidays and my home town team is still in it( 1 loss in 3 years, Appomattox).
It's going to be a barn burner, it might even be a sell out! HSHS wants revenge from game 1 this year, as we could've-should've won, but... Our kids are hungrier than ever! They want to go to the State Tournament and 3peat! Hermitage is still in search of that elusive 1st State Title, they are hungry too!!! It's going to be one helluva a battle! Shall the best team win this time;)
I know you will enjoy yourself in Appomattox too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
It's going to be a barn burner, it might even be a sell out! HSHS wants revenge from game 1 this year, as we could've-should've won, but... Our kids are hungrier than ever! They want to go to the State Tournament and 3peat! Hermitage is still in search of that elusive 1st State Title, they are hungry too!!! It's going to be one helluva a battle! Shall the best team win this time;)
I know you will enjoy yourself in Appomattox too. Happy Thanksgiving!
Man....u just made it that much more exciting!!!! I SO WANNA GO!! Im actually gonna miss appo game. Glenvar wants to do it Friday night and not Saturday so im gonna be traveling during game cause my wife works Friday. Sucks i know!!! Too mich good football this weekend. What O doea herm and HS use? Im still learning these 5 a and 6 a teams out here

Man....u just made it that much more exciting!!!! I SO WANNA GO!! Im actually gonna miss appo game. Glenvar wants to do it Friday night and not Saturday so im gonna be traveling during game cause my wife works Friday. Sucks i know!!! Too mich good football this weekend. What O doea herm and HS use? Im still learning these 5 a and 6 a teams out here
HS mostly operates out of several variations of the Spread offense with QB in shotgun position. Herm, I believe does it too. I think Herm runs their qb from under center a lot.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Couple key lineman including pull guard. The missing players really weren't the reason the game was close. They were missing a key RB though so it probably balanced out. As I said at the time they played a really good game, coach called a great game on offense and just was a very odd game with lots of penalties on many third and shorts for us. We had the ball inside thier redzone and took a few knees with 90 seconds left. We had driven all the way down the field so I'm confident they could have scored if needed too. They are a good team, I spent many hours watching thier key skill players train over the summer with some of our kids. If we don't show up (at home) they could surely win. With all that said I think we post and win by two TDs.

Tough one today Big Tate....just saw the score. What was the story of the game, Stone Bridge not play well or was Tuscarora just the better team today?

All conferance kicker hadn't missed XP all year missed two..lost by 1 but like in any close game had a handful of plays that determined outcome.

Congrats to them on the win.
Good luck to all the remaining teams!

Reactions: Michael Cassio
All conferance kicker hadn't missed XP all year missed two..lost by 1 but like in any close game had a handful of plays that determined outcome.

That’s a tough way to go down, feel bad for the kicker

Really really good game. Both teams fought each other tooth and nail for every inch on that field. Nothing was easy for either team and the players and coaches left nothing on the table. Good luck to Tuscarora and best wishes to the Bulldog seniors. Tough group of dudes.

Reactions: sbbulldogs
5B Championship game did turn out to be a barn burner, but it was definitely the tale of 2 halves! 1st half HS couldn't hold on the ball fumbling it away 2x and 2 interceptions Hermitage capitalized scoring 2 tds going up 14-0. It was looking like Herm was going to be the one moving on to States! HS had put together a nice drive, driving down to a 1st & goal at the 3 but got stonewalled at the 1 on 4th down and did not score. HS's last possession of the half, they started clicking on offense. We scored late in the 2nd quarter and missed the xtra point to shorten the margin to 14-6 at halftime.
Herm had the ball 1st in the 3rd quarter, but HS's defense started showing it's grit and held them on their first possession. HS's offense started to show it's strength as well, hitting a 71 yard td strike to Smalls from Waller, making the score 14-12. At this point, HS had made the halftime adjustments to shut down Herm's offense completely! Quickly on HS's next possession, Waller hits "Rabbit" Smith with a 58 yard td pass! Taking the lead 18-14 late in the 3rd quarter. 4th quarter, with the lead, HS went to the running game with Jr. RB "rabbit" Rayquan Smith. On our last scoring drive they fed Smith 7 straight times consuming 49 yards to the 3 and QB Waller scored from 3 yards out to make it 24-14. From this point, it was less than 4 minutes to play and HS's stifling defense allowed Hermitage nothing. The better team won and is moving on to the State Semis. Good game though. Good luck next year Hermitage!!
Smith finished with 104 yds 22 carries rushing. Waller was 21-35 for 354, 2 ints. 2tds. passing.
HS put up nearly 500 yards of offense against Herm's vaunted defense!
Nansemond River next Saturday @ 2pm.. Highland Springs High School.

Last edited:

I saw a few SB games this year on film. They are really good my only concern was I thought they were too dependent on #15. Who is a heck of a player! I think he actually used to play for Atlee.

How are they set up for next year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT