ADVERTISEMENT

Highland springs vs Varina

Sep 29, 2005
Highland springs and Varina Blue devils playoffs starts Friday night, the team that loses Friday night I believe will be out of the playoffs, I like Varina I think there quarterback is more stable than highland springs, I think highland springs offense is a little shaky. Are there any other thoughts

I like Varina in this one. Bobby Dunn makes everybody on that Varina offense better and I think they can get stops on defense.

I like Varina in this one. Bobby Dunn makes everybody on that Varina offense better and I think they can get stops o defense.
Yep I agree with you about Bobby Dunn . I also believe the four top teams that should make the playoffs is Manchester, Varina, Hermitage and Highland Springs. Not necessarily in that order. I think Varina had the tougher schedule having to play Hermitage,Highland springs and Deep Run. Once the numbers are worked out we'll see what happens

Yep I agree with you about Bobby Dunn . I also believe the four top teams that should make the playoffs is Manchester, Varina, Hermitage and Highland Springs. Not necessarily in that order. I think Varina had the tougher schedule having to play Hermitage,Highland springs and Deep Run. Once the numbers are worked out we'll see what happens
From what I’ve heard, the loser of the Varina/HS game is out. I personally would like to see Herm, Manchester, HS and Varina. All 4 are hands down the best in the area. Deep Run was really good too, I think Henrico County football is just stronger all the way around.

Reactions: Dawg2Devil
All 4 are not gonna make it unless PG loses!

I’ll take Springs in this one but I do believe Varina is a really good football team that has gotten better each week. Next year class 4 watch out!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Highland springs and Varina Blue devils playoffs starts Friday night, the team that loses Friday night I believe will be out of the playoffs, I like Varina I think there quarterback is more stable than highland springs, I think highland springs offense is a little shaky. Are there any other thoughts
I am worried here. I think HS's offense is very shakey too! Especially with #12 behind Center. I think it's going to be a defensive struggle for both teams, but I think Varina is tougher at this point. That was hard to say, but it IS my opinion!

From what I’ve heard, the loser of the Varina/HS game is out. I personally would like to see Herm, Manchester, HS and Varina. All 4 are hands down the best in the area. Deep Run was really good too, I think Henrico County football is just stronger all the way around.
PG plays MBK! Manchester plays 0-5 Cosby! Hermitage plays Tucker. I don’t see ANY of those 3 losing. I’m not sure if a 1 loss HSHS can get in over a 1 loss PG or Manchester,but IDK. I’d doubt it. I DO THINK a 6-0 HSHS “may” outpoint Hermitage for that #1 seed.

I am worried here. I think HS's offense is very shakey too! Especially with #12 behind Center. I think it's going to be a defensive struggle for both teams, but I think Varina is tougher at this point. That was hard to say, but it IS my opinion!

I am honestly surprised by this take.

I think an x-factor in this one is the fact that Varina won last year and left a bad taste in the mouth of the coaches and players. As we all know, motivation is a funny thing and I know for a fact as I am sure you do that the Springers have been waiting for this one.

That said, I do believe Varina has gotten better as the season has gone on and on paper, Varina has been more consistent since that week one loss.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

I think an x-factor in this one is the fact that Varina won last year and left a bad taste in the mouth of the coaches and players. As we all know, motivation is a funny thing and I know for a fact as I am sure you do that the Springers have been waiting for this one.

That said, I do believe Varina has gotten better as the season has gone on and on paper, Varina has been more consistent since that week one loss.
I’m going to differ with you on “the x-factor”.

I still KNOW who’s on the sideline in a “BIG GAME” for HSHS. The one & ONLY big game the new Varina coach has seen,he got shut out. He’s gonna see a far more talented defense than Hermitage has. Bobby Dunn didn’t look good at all in that game, and now he will face a far better secondary and D-line.

The HSHS offense has been “going through the motions”,and has been their own worst enemy(penalties and turnovers). I agree with @springer76 ,this is not a “vintage” HSHS offense with Dent at the helm,but with Nassir taking snaps....you gotta pick your poison. Johnson,99% of the time,has the answers in these “BIG GAMES”,and now we have to see if the new “General at Varina” can get it done in a MUST WIN scenario!

Hard to pick against the Springers. HS has the big names with offers but I don’t equate that to them being that much better than Herm’s defense. Most of Herm’s secondary were JV players last year so of course they don’t have the recognition HS’s guys have. Herm’s secondary is very good and they lead the area in take aways. I also wouldn’t short change their front 7. A great mix of size and speed. Pernell and Gilliam are good but so is Carlos Alexander. I think Alexander may be just as good as both if not better, he’s just 6’1 and they’re 6’4 and they’ve played in big games and HS has been winning. Herm’s guys haven’t had that opportunity. I also think Nigel James is a difference maker. How he doesn’t have the big D1 offers, I don’t know, but he’s definitely better than any back I’ve seen around here in a while. Bedwell has found him another Mines/Robertson. Herm is your Bad Boy Pistons. Grind you out, under the radar, plays hard and doesn’t shy away from physicality, and very blue collar. HS is Showtime Lakers. They’re really good, they’re the “standard”, they put a lot of fans in the stands, they have a lot of big time players, you can never count them out, and in order to be the man, you gotta beat the man.. Right now the man is Highland Springs.

I’ll take Springs in this one but I do believe Varina is a really good football team that has gotten better each week. Next year class 4 watch out!
Several of the better Div 5 schools have been coming down since 2014. Dinwiddie, Lake Taylor, Tuscarora are just a few that had won or played in multiple Div 5 State Title games before dropping. Now can Varina continue what they've started in last few yrs? Time will tell.

Several of the better Div 5 schools have been coming down since 2014. Dinwiddie, Lake Taylor, Tuscarora are just a few that had won or played in multiple Div 5 State Title games before dropping. Now can Varina continue what they've started in last few yrs? Time will tell.
Varina is in much better shape than those schools. The Rec League in Henrico County is second to none, far superior. Herm, HS and Varina will get the county’s best of the best as long as the coaches at those schools are in place.

Reactions: mbonape1
I believe Lake Taylor will be moving to Class 3 soon. Pretty sure their titles had been Class 4 for each.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Hard to pick against the Springers. HS has the big names with offers but I don’t equate that to them being that much better than Herm’s defense. Most of Herm’s secondary were JV players last year so of course they don’t have the recognition HS’s guys have. Herm’s secondary is very good and they lead the area in take aways. I also wouldn’t short change their front 7. A great mix of size and speed. Pernell and Gilliam are good but so is Carlos Alexander. I think Alexander may be just as good as both if not better, he’s just 6’1 and they’re 6’4 and they’ve played in big games and HS has been winning. Herm’s guys haven’t had that opportunity. I also think Nigel James is a difference maker. How he doesn’t have the big D1 offers, I don’t know, but he’s definitely better than any back I’ve seen around here in a while. Bedwell has found him another Mines/Robertson. Herm is your Bad Boy Pistons. Grind you out, under the radar, plays hard and doesn’t shy away from physicality, and very blue collar. HS is Showtime Lakers. They’re really good, they’re the “standard”, they put a lot of fans in the stands, they have a lot of big time players, you can never count them out, and in order to be the man, you gotta beat the man.. Right now the man is Highland Springs.

All 4 are not gonna make it unless PG loses!

I'll take Varina over the springers, out of the five games that the springers have played they only play one competitive team and that was deep run if they come out playing like they played against deep run Varina will easily win this game
against highland springs. I know it will be a good game. I'm just glad that all the Virginia high School league seniors had a chance to play this year.

I'll take Varina over the springers, out of the five games that the springers have played they only play one competitive team and that was deep run if they come out playing like they played against deep run Varina will easily win this game
against highland springs. I know it will be a good game. I'm just glad that all the Virginia high School league seniors had a chance to play this year.
Deep Run and was down 7-9 to Glen Allen at halftime

[/QU to be the man you gotta beat the man, so are you saying that Varina is the man

Highland Springs STILL has a 3rd QB! Johnson is one heck of a poker player! On to the playoffs. Great game Varina! Always a battle with these neighbors

He did throw a few different wrinkles on offense. Defense played great... a few plays got away from them, but great job!!! HS run game was strong... pass game is good with 14 tossing the rock. QB 12 showed signs of being a good run game qb. Jones in as qb was a nice wrinkle!! He threw a different dimension in the run attack... Good job Springers, on to the playoffs!

He did throw a few different wrinkles on offense. Defense played great... a few plays got away from them, but great job!!! HS run game was strong... pass game is good with 14 tossing the rock. QB 12 showed signs of being a good run game qb. Jones in as qb was a nice wrinkle!! He threw a different dimension in the run attack... Good job Springers, on to the playoffs!
I said Johnson on the sideline was the x-factor,but the Varina coach is young and will get better. No one expected Johnson to pull Bug out of the hat,but he’s been in these big games too many times to not have an ace up his sleeve. That move changed the game.

Reactions: springer76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT