ADVERTISEMENT

Home Teams at Liberty?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Does anyone know which two teams will be the home teams this year? I don’t think it’s by power points. I think it flip flops?

That’s a good question. No clue how it works. When we played LCA at 13-1 we were the away team and when we played Heritage at 14-0 we were the home team. I’d assume since we have better record we’d be home but at the end of the day for the 3rd year in a row off location alone it won’t matter what side of field we are on Salem will be the home team. I expect there to be way more Salem fans there because they are an hour away Vs 3+ for Phoebus.

Doesn't it come down to points? I would think that Phoebus would be the home team against Salem and Liberty Christian would be home against Lafayette? Honestly, I have no clue.
That's why not having a clear, streamlined process from the VHSL sometimes makes things confusing.

That’s a good question. No clue how it works. When we played LCA at 13-1 we were the away team and when we played Heritage at 14-0 we were the home team. I’d assume since we have better record we’d be home but at the end of the day for the 3rd year in a row off location alone it won’t matter what side of field we are on Salem will be the home team. I expect there to be way more Salem fans there because they are an hour away Vs 3+ for Phoebus.
Wouldn’t matter, Salem fans travel!! We had more people at the Tusky game than Tusky had!! That was 3hrs for us.

Doesn't it come down to points? I would think that Phoebus would be the home team against Salem and Liberty Christian would be home against Lafayette? Honestly, I have no clue.
That's why not having a clear, streamlined process from the VHSL sometimes makes things confusing.
You may be right, but something is floating around in my head that they flip flop who will be home each year.

Yes sir Kilroy, it will have zero affect on attendance. LOL, and it especially doesn’t matter to me since I don’t have a dog in the fight. I hope Salem is home though for Mike. It is a little easier for him, if he can stay on the home side.

Mike, I guess you will set up shop at your usual place?

And Wikki, I don’t have a pass to the hospitality suite this year, but I have a plan that I think will get me past the gatekeeper. Especially if it’s the same folks that guarded the elevators last year. If my plan fails, I’ll be depending on you to bring me a bite to eat down in the temporary holding cell!😩

Wouldn’t matter, Salem fans travel!! We had more people at the Tusky game than Tusky had!! That was 3hrs for us.
That’s exactly how it should be with a winning program in a small town. Isn’t it a one high school town? Who is Salem’s rival? I believe the high school i stayed near was called Hidden Valley when i was in town for a Mt Union Vs Whitewater d3 title games a couple years. This was back in 2005-2008 when my boy’s nephew played for Mt Union. But i want to say Hidden Valley was brand new back then.

That’s exactly how it should be with a winning program in a small town. Isn’t it a one high school town? Who is Salem’s rival? I believe the high school i stayed near was called Hidden Valley when i was in town for a Mt Union Vs Whitewater d3 title games a couple years. This was back in 2005-2008 when my boy’s nephew played for Mt Union. But i want to say Hidden Valley was brand new back then.
Everybody in our area hates Salem!! Lol’n
Yes Salem City has one school. Glenvar is a Roanoke County school but is a suburb of Salem. All surrounding schools don’t like Salem in football

Salem's traditional rival in football has been Pulaski County, but they've unfortunately fallen off in the past 10-15 years. More recently, it's been the team at the top of their cycle and able to compete with Salem. That's included Northside, Christiansburg, and Blacksburg at various times. Right now, it would be Patrick Henry, a solid Class 5 program which beat Salem in 2022. Salem had a great playoff rivalry with Amherst County in the 1990s - 2000s with the winner very often going on to be state champion.

It doesn’t matter about the record, it rotates each year

You may be right, but something is floating around in my head that they flip flop who will be home each year.

Yes sir Kilroy, it will have zero affect on attendance. LOL, and it especially doesn’t matter to me since I don’t have a dog in the fight. I hope Salem is home though for Mike. It is a little easier for him, if he can stay on the home side.

Mike, I guess you will set up shop at your usual place?

And Wikki, I don’t have a pass to the hospitality suite this year, but I have a plan that I think will get me past the gatekeeper. Especially if it’s the same folks that guarded the elevators last year. If my plan fails, I’ll be depending on you to bring me a bite to eat down in the temporary holding cell!😩
They will not let me. lol. It’s very secure and besides you will have to have a certain color badge to even get in.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
In the past they did it by power points. This is Salem's fifth appearance since 2014 and they have been visitors for all of the previous trips with one going all the way to Lake Taylor.
By power points Phoebus would be home team.

After looking at MaxPreps playoff brackets. They put the home team on top. They have Phoebus in the top position

Hidden Valley opened in 2002. They split from Cave Spring

I received an official answer to the home team question from the VHSL this morning. The team with the higher rating at the end of the regular season will be designated the home team.

Reactions: wikki
An interesting fact. With one exception, the team with the highest rating in each class is in the championship game.
The one exception is C2. Central was .4 ahead of Radford. To me, this validates the points system.

1 is #1 and #2
2 is #2 and #4
3 is #1 and #8
4 is #1 and #8
5 is #1 and #6
6 is #1 and #3

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
An interesting fact. With one exception, the team with the highest rating in each class is in the championship game.
The one exception is C2. Central was .4 ahead of Radford. To me, this validates the points system.

1 is #1 and #2
2 is #2 and #4
3 is #1 and #8
4 is #1 and #10
5 is #1 and #6
6 is #1 and #3
I think it validates the points system but not the format of the playoffs overall. Essentially Lafayette was the 8th best team in Class 3 and Salem was the 8th best team in Class 4. Would those teams have made it to the championship game if we had a true state tournament without regions? I know it doesn't matter at this point but it's still interesting to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
Good Lord no.
W & M spent $millions and it’s still not a very good venue. Beautiful, no question about that, but not nearly as functional as LU. And, I’ll add, the people that LU employs for the games are far superior to anywhere I’ve ever been. Scott Stadium included.
The facility was ok for that one game but nothing like LU
LOL, I’ll bet you a bowl of Taco soup that I get in!!!
I’m not making that this year. We have a new menu planned

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The facility was ok for that one game but nothing like LU

I’m not making that this year. We have a new menu planned
I hope you do, but you will to have a specific color badge to get in our suite to eat. We are given strict guidelines every year. Certain people have different color badges, they are now allowed in our suite. They have different areas to eat and so does the media. Like I said I hope I get to see you. I enjoy our conversations

Reactions: mike salem
I think it validates the points system but not the format of the playoffs overall. Essentially Lafayette was the 8th best team in Class 3 and Salem was the 10th best team in Class 4. Would those teams have made it to the championship game if we had a true state tournament without regions? I know it doesn't matter at this point but it's still interesting to think about.
The point system has some flaws. The first one is playing a good team from lower classifications. A C4 team could play an 8-2 C1 team. The C4 team should win this game but would get points as if they beat an 8-2 C4 team because they would get 6 bonus points for playing down.

1 is #1 and #2
2 is #2 and #4
3 is #1 and #8
4 is #1 and #10
5 is #1 and #6
6 is #1 and #3
I've got Salem at 8 not 10

I hope you do, but you will to have a specific color badge to get in our suite to eat. We are given strict guidelines every year. Certain people have different color badges, they are now allowed in our suite. They have different areas to eat and so does the media. Like I said I hope I get to see you. I enjoy our conversations
I should be there too Wikki, maybe I'll get to see you for a minute. I know you'll be busy though.

I think it validates the points system but not the format of the playoffs overall. Essentially Lafayette was the 8th best team in Class 3 and Salem was the 10th best team in Class 4. Would those teams have made it to the championship game if we had a true state tournament without regions? I know it doesn't matter at this point but it's still interesting to think about.
I would rather have a 32 team bracket without regions (2014) and play the bracket with either AvB CvD mixed by a ranking system or power points.
Or we can do everyone ranked like WV.

Power points don't really work once you get outside of region because of the lack of games between regions. So it's really good for regions because everyone plays teams from that region.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT