ADVERTISEMENT

Hopewell vs. Monacan

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
From what I was told my Blue Devils took it to my former HS teammates team in the scrimmage. Something like 6 TD's to 0. Hearing Hopewell's defense is the real deal. Anyone there?

Yes, Hopewell Defense played lights out for most the night, but It was hard to determine just how good Monacan was or was not. However, we do know how good Trey Henderson is as he scored 3 of the Blue Devils 6 touchdowns.

That was an eye opener for us. Over the past few years Monacan generally doesn't play their true first team together in scrimmages. They typically rotate a mixture of first and 2nd team in and out about every 5 plays including QB. I find this frustrating but I get coach is experimenting with things. The amount of individual missed tackles really hurt us. Also, we have a very talented group of receivers that were dropping the ball left and right. A few times even bouncing off the wideouts helmets! We also didn't throw the ball down the field at all. Nothing like a few shotgun snaps sailing 10 yards over the Qb's head for further frustration. Our team looked really good throwing the ball around in 7x7's this summer but that did not transfer to the first scrimmage. We also had a few players out including our best player Teon Powell. We were moving the ball with both Qb's passing but every 3rd play or so we would have a disaster play. Example QB and RB colliding and fumbling on the first shotgun read in the spread! Gut check time. My hope is this young group looks much better in scrimmage number two.

Regarding Hopewell, I do expect them to contend for a state championship in class 3 for sure. TreVeyon Henderson is as advertised. To be completely honest, he may be the best player I have seen since Percy Harvin "with the ball in his hands". He scored 3 TD's against Monacan. Two of them were plays that he busted out with just great individual play. The 3rd was a TD catch were he made a catch in heavy traffic. The Monacan defenders had him wrapped and in the grass but just let him go. Not sure if they thought he was down or blown dead or just didn't want any parts. Regardless, He is a game-changing talent that has the chance to go yard any time he touches the ball. I would pencil in at least 1-2 breakaway touchdowns for him in each game. He will have a huge year. I think he is the best player in the 804 area. An undefeated season is not out of the question for Hopewell depending on how good TD and Dinwiddie end up being. My guess is a BIG bruising team that can really run the ball may give Hopewell some trouble but they will be able to put up points. They also had some really well timed play calls on offense. They called a middle screen at the perfect time and our entire D line and linebacking core ran past the RB. @DEVILSLB99 - Their defense is certainly solid. Monacan's lack of offensive execution made it easier on them. Need to see them a few more times before I have an opinion there.

That was an eye opener for us. Over the past few years Monacan generally doesn't play their true first team together in scrimmages. They typically rotate a mixture of first and 2nd team in and out about every 5 plays including QB. I find this frustrating but I get coach is experimenting with things. The amount of individual missed tackles really hurt us. Also, we have a very talented group of receivers that were dropping the ball left and right. A few times even bouncing off the wideouts helmets! We also didn't throw the ball down the field at all. Nothing like a few shotgun snaps sailing 10 yards over the Qb's head for further frustration. Our team looked really good throwing the ball around in 7x7's this summer but that did not transfer to the first scrimmage. We also had a few players out including our best player Teon Powell. We were moving the ball with both Qb's passing but every 3rd play or so we would have a disaster play. Example QB and RB colliding and fumbling on the first shotgun read in the spread! Gut check time. My hope is this young group looks much better in scrimmage number two.

Regarding Hopewell, I do expect them to contend for a state championship in class 3 for sure. TreVeyon Henderson is as advertised. To be completely honest, he may be the best player I have seen since Percy Harvin "with the ball in his hands". He scored 3 TD's against Monacan. Two of them were plays that he busted out with just great individual play. The 3rd was a TD catch were he made a catch in heavy traffic. The Monacan defenders had him wrapped and in the grass but just let him go. Not sure if they thought he was down or blown dead or just didn't want any parts. Regardless, He is a game-changing talent that has the chance to go yard any time he touches the ball. I would pencil in at least 1-2 breakaway touchdowns for him in each game. He will have a huge year. I think he is the best player in the 804 area. An undefeated season is not out of the question for Hopewell depending on how good TD and Dinwiddie end up being. My guess is a BIG bruising team that can really run the ball may give Hopewell some trouble but they will be able to put up points. They also had some really well timed play calls on offense. They called a middle screen at the perfect time and our entire D line and linebacking core ran past the RB. @DEVILSLB99 - Their defense is certainly solid. Monacan's lack of offensive execution made it easier on them. Need to see them a few more times before I have an opinion there.
I knew you would have a report...Sounds like first scrimmage stuff. Jim will have them clean that up

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT