ADVERTISEMENT

How does scheduling work for crossover in state semi's

lucustookis

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 7, 2007
Bull Island, VA
I know, the higher seed plays at home and the lower seed plays on the road, but.....here is my question/scenario....

Lets say Appo beats Union. That leaves Appo as the 1 seed in the West.
Lets say Stuarts Draft loses to East Rockingham and Clark County beats Goochland. This leaves the 3 seed in Clarke County and the 4 seed in East Rockingham in the East. Assume Graham (2 seed) wins. Who would play and where at in the above scenario.

For example, does Appo automatically host the lowest seed in E. Rockingham and would Graham (2 seed) automatically travel to a lower seeded team #3 Clarke County? How would this work assuming you do not have 2 number 1 seeds left in the final four?

With the above scenario, lets do another scenario. Assume Richlands beats Graham. Richlands is the 3 seed in the West. Assume Appo beat Union, Clarke County wins and East Rockingham wins? Who would Richlands play and where at?

I know, the above are "assumptions" and please spare me the post above games "still needing to be played on the field" etc. etc. I get that. I am just trying to understand how the crossmatching goes in the final four when you do not have 2 number one seeds left.

Lower seeds on both sides travel to higher seeds. East low seed goes to west higher seed. Same goes for the other way

Lower seeds on both sides travel to higher seeds. East low seed goes to west higher seed. Same goes for the other way

Did not answer my question. Lets try again and I repeat my original question. You do understand that there is the possibility of a lower on one side traveling to a lower seed on the other. For example, in my scenario, lets say Appo wins this week. Automatically, they are the 1 seed in the West and lets say Graham wins and Clarke County wins and East Rockingham wins. I understand that East Rockingham, being the lower seed (4 seed) travels to Appo, but does Graham (2 seed in the West) travel to a 3 seed in the East in Clarke County? In closing, is there a possibility that 2 teams from the West can host? Same applies to the East. What if the 1 and 2 seeds in the East are left and you have Richlands and Union left in the West (the 3 and 4). Would the East host both home games since they are 1 and 2?

It is not possible for two teams from the West to host. Whichever team is the lowest remaining seed from the West will travel to the highest remaining seed in the East for a semi-final game. It does not matter if that West team has a higher seeded number than the East team. Once they get down to four remaining teams for the semis, the lowest remaining seed in the West travels to the highest remaining seed in the East, while the lowest remaining seed from the East travels to the highest remaining seed in the West.

It's simple. Lower seeds travel to higher seeds. Lower seed in the west goes to higher seed in east. Lower seed in east goes to higher seed in the west.

Bottom line is that the highest east and west seed remaining team hosts a state semi. Doesn't matter if its a 15 and a 16 left in the east. The #15 would host someone from the west.

It is not possible for two teams from the West to host. Whichever team is the lowest remaining seed from the West will travel to the highest remaining seed in the East for a semi-final game. It does not matter if that West team has a higher seeded number than the East team. Once they get down to four remaining teams for the semis, the lowest remaining seed in the West travels to the highest remaining seed in the East, while the lowest remaining seed from the East travels to the highest remaining seed in the West.

Why is it the lowest seed in the West? By your example, you kept saying "West." Why not East? Again, check out this example and tell me where Graham would play.
Appo beats Union. Graham beats Richlands. East Rockingham and Clarke County both win in upsets.
You have left a 1 seed from the West and a 2 seed from the West.
You have left a 3 seed from the East and a 4 seed from the East.

I AGAIN propose the question. Where does Graham play against Clarke County. I understand that Appo, the 1 seed would host the lowest East seed which would be East Rockingham, but again, where would the Graham game be? Would Graham, a 2 seed in the West actually travel to a 3 seeded team (Clarke County) in the East?

It's simple. Lower seeds travel to higher seeds. Lower seed in the west goes to higher seed in east. Lower seed in east goes to higher seed in the west.

It's not that simple. If your post is taken literally and you say that lower seeds travel to higher seeds, then going by your very own words and your example, it is possible for 2 teams in the West to host. It is also possible for 2 teams in the East to host, if we strictly go by your words of lower seeds traveling to higher seeds. By your own words-example, check this out. If Appo, Graham, Clarke County and E. Rockingham win, you have left in the west a 1 seed and a 2 seed, in the East you have left a 3 seed and a 4 seed. If lower seeds AUTOMATICALLY travel to higher seeds, then Appo and Graham would host. See my point? It's actually, NOT that simple as you say it is.

One poster on here wrote that two teams from the same side (Appo and Graham-assuming Graham wins) can not host, and that one of them has to go on the road. This is contrary to your statement that all lower seeds must travel to higher seeds. I gave you an example above where you could have a 1 and 2 from the West, and then a 3 seed and 4 seed left in the East. According to your statement, both teams in the West would host because they are higher seeds. According to the other guys statement, both teams in the West can not host EVEN though both Western teams would be higher seeds because one team has to go on the road? Again, which is it? About 6 posts deep into this thread and still no clear cut answer, or at least, there is no agreement.

Graham would travel to Clarke County because they are the lowest remaining seed in the west and Clarke would be the highest remaining in the east.

Thanks for the info and clearing it up, except for Fort89. Dude, you are a real tool and after reading several of your posts on the A message board, you are a real tool. Half of the stuff you post is crap. You stated (wrote) that "the lower seeds automatically travel to the higher seeds." That is simply not true. You can see by the scenario I gave where a higher seeded team in Graham would have to travel to Clarke County (a 3 seed in the East.)

The best way to put it is....at least what I am getting from normal fans who know what they are talking about is.....the highest seeded team hosts the final four, if the East or West has a 1 seed in the final four and the other side does not, then that 1 seed automatically hosts, and for the other game, the seeding is irrelevant as the team from the same side as the 1 seed must travel.
This could happen with Appo and Graham. Meaning, Graham a 2 seed, could actually travel to play a lower seeded team in Clark County if Graham and Clarke and East Rockingham won. Therefore, once again, the "lower seeds do not automatically play the higher seeds."

Last edited:
Oh, ok. I understand. That makes sense. So, there is one clearcut rule...
2 teams from the same side CAN NOT host in the final four. One of the two teams must travel.
The highest seeded team will host, but........it is possible for one of the games to have a higher seed and still have to travel. For example, if Appo, Graham, Clarke, and E. Rockingham win, Graham, a 2 seed would have to travel to a 3 seed in Clarke County because the highest seed of all 4 would be Appo, so it hosts a home game, and because you can not have 2 teams from the same side both playing home games, Graham would have to travel even though it is a higher seed than Clarke County.

The same principle applies to the East. If Stuarts Draft and Goochland both win, you have a 1 and 2 seed left. Lets say, just for using this as an example, the Union (4 seed in West) beats Appo and Richlands beats Graham. In this scenario, the highest seed left is Stuarts Draft which hosts a home game against the lowest seeded team in the West which would be Union, and here is the kicker..........Goochland, a two seed would actually have to travel to 3 seed Richlands because two teams from the same side can not host.

I think you are reading to much into the seeding. Like stated above, Lowest remaining seeds from East and West, travel to Highest remaining seeds.

You are way overthinking this.

Yes, if Appo/Graham and Clarke/East Rock win, Graham would travel to Clarke. It does NOT matter what seed X team is in comparison to a seed on Y side. All that matters is who is the higher seed in YOUR side only as to whether you host or travel.

After you figure out if you are hosting or not, then go to the other side and see who is the higher team over there. Doesn't matter if the highest team is a 1 seed or you have a 3 and a 7, the higher one will host.

Don't overthink it.

I understand that some people don't comprehend how it works, and that's fine. But once you get it, it's easy. The HIGHEST remaining seed on each side, hosts the LOWEST remaining seed on the other side.

So say that the 7 seed and 12 seed were remaining in the east and the 1 and 2 seed were remaining in the West. The 7 seed in the east would host the 2 seed in the West and the 1 seed in the West would host the 12 seed in the east. So then the two winners play in championship. So you can have 2 east teams, 2 west teams, or one each.

I can confirm, this will be the stupidest thread of the week....and it's only Monday.
No need to reply then dummy. You offered nothing in your post.
I understand that some people don't comprehend how it works, and that's fine. But once you get it, it's easy. The HIGHEST remaining seed on each side, hosts the LOWEST remaining seed on the other side.

So say that the 7 seed and 12 seed were remaining in the east and the 1 and 2 seed were remaining in the West. The 7 seed in the east would host the 2 seed in the West and the 1 seed in the West would host the 12 seed in the east. So then the two winners play in championship. So you can have 2 east teams, 2 west teams, or one each.

I got it. I did not know how the system worked when I started the thread. I was misled when Fort89 posted FALSE info when he wrote, "the lower seeds always playa the higher seeds." That statement was simply.......false. it was not true. It was incorrect. Yes, you can see how anyone could be confused with false info given.

As for Gator person. U need to worry about Bama owning you again.

Guns, well said. Want to know why some do not get it? Notice your post and refer to your words. The keyword you wrote and most important word in your post was the word, "remaining." Many people, including Fort 89 when attempting to explain the system leave out the word, "remaining." There is a huge difference in how the system works when it is described correctly as you did. But again, take out the word remaining and you see how the interpretation completely changes, especially when someone writes, "the lower seeds always playa the higher seeds and the higher seeds host. That statement is simply not true.

You are way overthinking this.

Yes, if Appo/Graham and Clarke/East Rock win, Graham would travel to Clarke. It does NOT matter what seed X team is in comparison to a seed on Y side. All that matters is who is the higher seed in YOUR side only as to whether you host or travel.

After you figure out if you are hosting or not, then go to the other side and see who is the higher team over there. Doesn't matter if the highest team is a 1 seed or you have a 3 and a 7, the higher one will host.

Don't overthink it.

It's easy to write, "don't over think it." But......I have no idea how the system works prior to this thread. I understand now, but imagine you have no clue of math and are four years old and a teacher tells you 4+5 is 8. You then ask others if 4+5 is really 8 and they tell you, don't "overthink it.". Lol. You can see that false info was given which is what Fort88 did early in the thread when he wrote, "the lower seeds always play the higher seeds and the higher seeds host." This statement is equal to 4+5 equals 9. It's not true.

It's easy to write, "don't over think it." But......I have no idea how the system works prior to this thread. I understand now, but imagine you have no clue of math and are four years old and a teacher tells you 4+5 is 8. You then ask others if 4+5 is really 8 and they tell you, don't "overthink it.". Lol. You can see that false info was given which is what Fort88 did early in the thread when he wrote, "the lower seeds always play the higher seeds and the higher seeds host." This statement is equal to 4+5 equals 9. It's not true.

Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Dose up son...

Reactions: stormwatcher
You do realize for example, that a 4 seed from the West could have a higher "Power Point"(what the seed is based off of) total then the 3 seed from the East. So it would be null and void. If we are using your logic then VA would have to seed all Final Four teams based on their season "Power Point" totals. That might not be a bad idea......

Going back and reading his statement, I think he meant the lower seeds always play the highest seeds (in the other bracket) and the higher seeds host (if you're the highest on your side). What he said wasn't "false", it just left out a key part of the recipe.

You do realize for example, that a 4 seed from the West could have a higher "Power Point"(what the seed is based off of) total then the 3 seed from the East. So it would be null and void. If we are using your logic then VA would have to seed all Final Four teams based on their season "Power Point" totals. That might not be a bad idea......
Stuarts Draft had 268 points. Dan River (4th in west) had 270. All of the top 4 west teams were rated higher than the 1 seed in the east.

Reactions: vman3196
This thread did get out of hand and some people made personal attacks, when they should realize that with any subject, some people follow it and therefore understand it better than others do. I for example am constantly asked at our games "who do we play if we win this one?" Some people simply go to a game because they hear that one is being played at their school and they have no idea whether it is regular season, first round, second round, or whatever. And some people (mostly kids in this case) pay no attention once they get there. Once last year I was walking away from a home game, the home crowd was clearly cheering its lungs out, and I heard a 10-12 year old ask a parent "did we win?"

So let's not get all bent out of shape because some of us understand the playoff system better than others. Especially considering that it is going to change on us next year anyway, and revert back to the regional format!!! But that is a subject for another thread...........

Oh jeez, stop the crying. This would have been alleviated if the guy above would have READ the description of the playoff format. If he can't take the time to read it, he deserves a little razzing.

Oh jeez, stop the crying. This would have been alleviated if the guy above would have READ the description of the playoff format. If he can't take the time to read it, he deserves a little razzing.

Ahh, I see. So I can come up with a subject you don't understand and try to explain it, and when you don't then "Everyone that has reading comprehension skills above that of a hamster understands this." That should be my response right? And I don't really have a problem with your "razzing" but @longtimerhsfan has been on here a long time (pun intended) and while I don't like his team at all seems like a great guy on here, and he makes a post to show how people don't understand and you call him dad. Shows great maturity, but from the posts you have had on here I shouldnt be surprised

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT