ADVERTISEMENT

How good is Sherando?

schoolboard

VaPreps All District
Oct 21, 2006
Didn't get to see much in the spring. Watched some of their scrimmage the other day, but I could not really tell if I was watching the 1s or the 2s since they were already started at beginning of recording on NFHS. Winchester Star and NVD have them ranked #1 over all their area.

Didn't get to see much in the spring. Watched some of their scrimmage the other day, but I could not really tell if I was watching the 1s or the 2s since they were already started at beginning of recording on NFHS. Winchester Star and NVD have them ranked #1 over all their area.
I haven't seen all that much of them lately due to Covid, but from what I've seen they should be around the same level as they've been in recent years, i.e. good enough to compete in the Winchester/Panhandle region but unlikely to hang with the Broad Runs and Tuscaroras of the state. I think they'll be able to put together a run in the next couple years or so though.

As far as this year goes, I'd guess anywhere from 10-1 to 7-4, though even a 10-1 team is going to be a heavy underdog against whoever comes out of the other side of Region C if they make the playoffs. Not sure I would rank them as the best in the Winchester area, and I suspect the papers are going mostly off history. New head coach, lots of question marks, and both James Wood and Millbrook have several really good playmakers in the positions Sherando has historically struggled to contain, so I expect the area to be competitive at the very least.

They play Jefferson, Musselman, Martinsburg, and Riverside outside of the NWD. Coming into the season I wasn't sure how Martinsburg would handle their transition to a new coach, but everything I've heard suggests they're ridiculously loaded again. They have a few injuries but given how deep they always are I don't think it'll slow them down much. Musselman has been pretty good in recent years so that is certainly a game to watch. I can't see them beating Martinsburg, but Musselman is a winnable game, and Jefferson and Riverside should be as well.

The other NWD games are against Kettle Run, Fauquier, and Liberty. I don't know much about any of them this year, but there's always at least one good team out of that area.

I'd guess 1-2 losses out of Martinsburg, Musselman, Jefferson, and Riverside, 0-2 from the Winchester area teams, and 0-2 from the other NWD teams. I'll take a wild shot and say 8-3 would be a good year for them.

Thanks for the info. I was surprised by how good Meridian looked in the scrimmage. I was just hoping maybe Sherando had a lot of players missing, otherwise Meridian will be very strong in Class 3 NWD.

Reactions: Shruikan
They were able to beat Culpeper Co in a scrimmage/benefit game 45-21

I have Sherando at .500 at best, in my opinion , they will be looking forward to next two years when the talent level picks up. They have very little size , very little speed . Coaching and heart will keep them respectable .

Reactions: SFUWO and Shruikan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT