ADVERTISEMENT

HSHS 27 Henrico 0 Halftime

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
Final HSHS 40 Henrico 6.
Henrico started the game taunting the HS bench with their sword spiking it in the ground in front of them and then taunting us!! Immediately they were hit with an unsportsmanship flag before the game had even started!! Then boinked the line drive opening kickoff off of our catchers helmet and they recovered the ball! Then..... it turned ugly for Henrico right away. HS sent them to a quick 3 and our and Highland Springs went down the field and scored....7-0 end of 1st qtr... looked like it might be a close game. Then quickly it went to 10-0, then 17-0 and on a 82 yard fumble recovery of QB Jalon Jones Ed Davis raced untouched for a touch down .. it was 24-0, Henrico had to punt again and HS put together a 1 minute drill going down the field as time was about to expire and kicked a 2nd field goal to make it 27-0 at Halftime.....Jalon Jones played with what looked like a sprained ankle most of the game and for the most part he was ineffective! HS went up 33-0 before Henrico was able to put together a drive and score and HS blocked the extra point. 33-6 in the 4th qtr.... HS scored again in the 4th to make it 40-6 which was the final score..
Henrico should know not to taunt a sleeping giant!!! It didn't go well for them! They were manhandled in every way tonight. They went home beaten and battered!!

Last edited:
I believe this team is more complete than their other championship teams who may have had more superstars. Best team and most complete in VA, across any level in my opinion.

Reactions: Herm95
I believe this team is more complete than their other championship teams who may have had more superstars. Best team and most complete in VA, across any level in my opinion.
I agree too. I think this years defense might be the best HSHS has ever had. The O line and the D line are fantastic!....and they will "basically" all be back next year.

I watched the game on YouTube, and feel HS looks just like last year's team. It's just my opinion and I know I'll get abused, but Henrico looked slow and boring besides the QB, and was more interested in running their mouths than playing football. Man, HS plays some boring teams in 5A, the amount of penalties they still rack up is crazy to me, and the teams they play are just as undisciplined and have no idea how to take advantage. That's the main reason the scores end up so lopsided. They won't play anyone remotely with a pulse again until maybe Varina and then Ponax or Stone Bridge, so they'll walk to the final again.

Last edited:
Not only when they play HS, they look the same against the other (and very average) teams too. These are supposed to be big 5A schools, and they run these boring offenses that only utilize 1 or 2 players, when they could be running more creative/dynamic schemes that utlize all their skill players and make you worry about defending the whole field. Henrico could've run jet sweeps with the slots/WRs more, run some quick outs and hitches, mix in a power running game with those huge linemen with two TEs, etc. You can't tell me that being a 5A school, they can't find more weapons to make you worry about offensively and find ways to utilize them in space, with a mix of just pounding you up front to death. Springs does a good job of literally all of this. It seems as if there's no other 5A team like the Bird teams of a few years ago anymore in the RVA area. And as soon as a team like HS hits them in the mouth, they fold.

Additionally, any team whose O line stays in a 2 point stance all game, I can't take seriously. C'mon, Henrico! All those huge bodies you could run behind in a real power running game, and you're in a 2 point stance. That alone tells me the running game is an afterthought. Henrico's QB would absolutely flourish running some option in a real power offense with the pistol here and there, and his passing ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: springer76
Not only when they play HS, they look the same against the other (and very average) teams too. These are supposed to be big 5A schools, and they run these boring offenses that only utilize 1 or 2 players, when they could be running more creative/dynamic schemes that utlize all their skill players and make you worry about defending the whole field. Henrico could've run jet sweeps with the slots/WRs more, run some quick outs and hitches, mix in a power running game with those huge linemen with two TEs, etc. You can't tell me that being a 5A school, they can't find more weapons to make you worry about offensively and find ways to utilize them in space, with a mix of just pounding you up front to death. Springs does a good job of literally all of this. It seems as if there's no other 5A team like the Bird teams of a few years ago anymore in the RVA area. And as soon as a team like HS hits them in the mouth, they fold.

Additionally, any team whose O line stays in a 2 point stance all game, I can't take seriously. C'mon, Henrico! All those huge bodies you could run behind in a real power running game, and you're in a 2 point stance. That alone tells me the running game is an afterthought. Henrico's QB would absolutely flourish running some option in a real power offense with the pistol here and there, and his passing ability.
He came back to Henrico to spend his Senior year with his buddies! He should have stayed in Baltimore his stock would have risen! He has committed to play at Florida, but he's not looking good at Henrico!

Clearly all terrible teams if you believe what some post on here...
Your posts are adding nothing to an already dead board. I clearly made my points in detail, how about stating why you disagree, instead of twisting my words with sarcasm?

I like what you say! I was expecting Henrico to use some more power running behind those linemen. Jones was off target on most of his passes and had trouble escaping Hs's pass rush. Of course, he did get injured and played through it. Cudos to him for that! In all, Henrico just didn't have enough horses to contend with the Springers. Maybe Varina will give us a game?....and we will most likely see Varina, Henrico and or Bird in the playoffs too.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Too many coaches want to play Madden now, instead of keeping it simple. Henrico would do a great job running Bird's power offense, with Jones running some option, quick passes, bootlegs and PA passes, and switching to some pistol read option for good measure. There aren't many teams anywhere that would have an easy time slowing that down with those huge and athletic linemen, even Springs. IMO there are a few good 5A teams in the RVA area, but only one great team, Springs. The difference is the toughness of the players and level of coaching they have. Henrico has players all over the field that can physically match or even dominate HS, but again, the toughness and coaching don't compare. Springs was ready to play, Henrico looked very lackadaisical when they weren't talking trash. Right after Henrico had that long run in the first half down to the 20 and was still in the game, they decide to pass on 1st down, then fumbled on 2nd down for the scoop and score, and looked as if they didn't care. That sequence is what separates the good teams from the great ones, in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Reactions: springer76
Your posts are adding nothing to an already dead board. I clearly made my points in detail, how about stating why you disagree, instead of twisting my words with sarcasm?

First, you say they’re all boring teams, then you say the coaches all want to play Madden. Which one is it?

Playing Madden as in they want to pass too much and chuck the ball down the field, and make it seem as if they want to have a running game, but aren't sure. Not having a real team identity. Passing in unnecessary situations like stated above. You finally just broke a long run against a stout defense, well keep feeding the beast! Especially on first down around the red zone. It killed any momentum, especially when the passing game wasn't working at all.

Boring as in lack of discipline and hustle, looking lackadaisical, and way too many penalties constantly disrupting the flow of games. In all the RVA games I've watched over the last few years, they were full of boneheaded personal fouls, holding, etc. Hermitage, HS, Varina, MBK, Bird, are all known for this. Just play football! I think there would be waaaay more state titles out of Richmond if that one thing was cleaned up. It's just something I'm not used to seeing on a weekly basis. It's like the kids never think, "hey guys, if we don't run our mouths, we might win!"

Last edited:
Reactions: falcettik
You do realize that since the classifications has changed to 6 different groups that a Richmond Area team has won the state 7 times for football including all of them in class 5A.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Just my opinion as always, but, no body is giving you a game my friend...NO BODY. Best team in Virginia, regardless of classification, and it's not close. Springers beat themselves or they don't lose.
I like what you said! They work hard on keeping the kids focused on the tasks at hand on a daily basis 24/7! I,m pretty sure they aren't allowed to be complacent! This team is as loose as any team I've seen and have a terrific sense of confidence without being cocky! Great job to the coaches!

Last edited:
Reactions: Herm95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT