ADVERTISEMENT

Huge news in Southside RVA

I actually don't think you are in the minority but I think it would be a lot to merging the two.
I think it would be a disaster. Public schools are an open book, with respect to validating eligibility. Grades, attendance, legal residency, disciplinary actions, and other pertinent and relevant information can be examined by those that it is requisite. Even if it takes a FOI request.

Go try to verify that type of information from a private school. They would laugh in your face.

Is this really the direction we want the League to go?

How good is his JV program?
If you are referring to Huguenot, based on the last few years with existing pipeline…. Average at best if I am being kind. I do believe they will have some good underclaseman enter the program though this year so we will see. I think they are 3 years away from really being able to compete if all goes well with the top half of 804 teams. I do believe this was a good hire for Huguenot though. If we just look at the facts… Did Huguenot get better from this I think the answer is yes.

Several of us have been discussing the LCA issue for a few weeks. @mbonape1 and I were wondering which school would take a shot on Coach Scott. @BoKnowsSports public school coaching is a bit different and you can bet the RVA football coaches will not let him get away with actively recruiting. I think Coach Scott is a great recruiter and Freedom-Woodbridge has proven you can put an AAU team together at a high school, so things could get interesting. If Richmond leaves him unchecked Huguenot will become just that. We will see how the Chesterfield coaches respond to what it to come. I agree with @HooSprings about his coaching ability, but he does not need to be a good coach with that talent. It will also be interesting to see how the VHSL handles the influx of his reclassed players from LCA.
Reclassed kids will be allowed to participate as long as they don't go over the age requirement - they can't turn 19 years old before August 1st of their senior year. And VISAA follows the same rule. So any transfers who have previously reclassed at a VISAA school will be allowed to play as long as they meet the above requirement.

Life Christian was a team trying to jump on the National prep scene immediately. They were playing the best teams in the nation prematurely IMO but they went in head first. They had some good ball players. None of this is apples to apples. We will have to see what happens. I’d say by year 3 we will know what this is
Bishop Sullivan in Virginia Beach (now Catholic High School) did a similar thing several years ago. Took a public school coach who had already been suspended for illegal recruiting (if memory serves me correctly). Hired him from Oscar Smith I think? Then a slew of transfers came to Bishop Sullivan and they immediately tried putting themselves on the national map with games against IMG etc. Took a lot of beatings. And then the TCIS conference ended up kicking Bishop Sullivan out of the conference for several years. No one would play them. The whole thing imploded. AD ended up leaving and that Coach moved back to public school I think. Whole thing was a failed experiment and now Catholic HS foothall has drastically come back down to earth and has been allowed back into the TCIS.

If you are referring to Huguenot, based on the last few years with existing pipeline…. Average at best if I am being kind. I do believe they will have some good underclaseman enter the program though this year so we will see. I think they are 3 years away from really being able to compete if all goes well with the top half of 804 teams. I do believe this was a good hire for Huguenot though. If we just look at the facts… Did Huguenot get better from this I think the answer is yes.
The school he came from. How is their JV?

Reclassed kids will be allowed to participate as long as they don't go over the age requirement - they can't turn 19 years old before August 1st of their senior year. And VISAA follows the same rule. So any transfers who have previously reclassed at a VISAA school will be allowed to play as long as they meet the above requirement.
This has nothing to do with the specifics of this thread, but I wonder if there is a provision in the League regulations that allows the Executive Director to grant a waiver to a student for an extra year of eligibility if something extreme has occurred to the student? I’m thinking not, because it would set a precedent that would open the floodgates.

I agree that it was a good hire for Huguenot, for the simple fact that we are talking about them, and prior to this, we weren't. I hope that the new coach is able to help those young men use athletics to better the rest of their lives. Do I think they will be a power? No. Do I think they can be competitive this the other teams in their district? Maybe. It will be a tough hill to climb with a district schedule that includes Manchester, Bird, Powhatan, etc, and then a brutal region. He will face a myriad of challenges off the field that some of the county schools don't have to deal with. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. I hope he is in it for the right reasons.

Ultimately it comes down to how those involved define success. Is success winning 8 games? Is success making the playoffs? Is success preparing and getting kids to the next level? Is success just getting those kids to practice/weightroom every day so that they do not have so much idle time that can lead to poor decisions? Is success giving those kids and that school something to be excited about? Is success getting those kids across the stage at graduation? Is success helping those kids set and reach goals that they might now otherwise strive for?

Winning is a poor measure of success because coaches have much less control over it than people think. Coaches don't control the makeup of their team in most cases. They cook with what is in the kitchen, and the quality of that meal is often based on the ingredients on hand. You can't turn canned tuna fish into prime rib. But you might be able to make a darn fine meal from tuna. On the other hand, I've seen a great steak ruined by too much of something or not enough of something else.

The AD there is a good guy and I don't think he will allow anyone to color outside the lines. Especially considering they will already be the focus of so much attention due to the hire. Regardless, I wish all involved the best of luck.

Not sure that is always the case. If they started at a VHSL school, they have 4 years to play from the time they start 9th grade. If they transferred to LCA from a public school after 9th grade, then they have a four year window to play public school athletics that started when they first enrolled in 9th grade even if they are still within the age parameters.

I agree that it was a good hire for Huguenot, for the simple fact that we are talking about them, and prior to this, we weren't. I hope that the new coach is able to help those young men use athletics to better the rest of their lives. Do I think they will be a power? No. Do I think they can be competitive this the other teams in their district? Maybe. It will be a tough hill to climb with a district schedule that includes Manchester, Bird, Powhatan, etc, and then a brutal region. He will face a myriad of challenges off the field that some of the county schools don't have to deal with. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. I hope he is in it for the right reasons.

Ultimately it comes down to how those involved define success. Is success winning 8 games? Is success making the playoffs? Is success preparing and getting kids to the next level? Is success just getting those kids to practice/weightroom every day so that they do not have so much idle time that can lead to poor decisions? Is success giving those kids and that school something to be excited about? Is success getting those kids across the stage at graduation? Is success helping those kids set and reach goals that they might now otherwise strive for?

Winning is a poor measure of success because coaches have much less control over it than people think. Coaches don't control the makeup of their team in most cases. They cook with what is in the kitchen, and the quality of that meal is often based on the ingredients on hand. You can't turn canned tuna fish into prime rib. But you might be able to make a darn fine meal from tuna. On the other hand, I've seen a great steak ruined by too much of something or not enough of something else.

The AD there is a good guy and I don't think he will allow anyone to color outside the lines. Especially considering they will already be the focus of so much attention due to the hire. Regardless, I wish all involved the best of luck.
Well stated. I don’t agree 100%, but you still made a lot of good points. Especially defining winning.

Good points, and now I'm hungry.

Reactions: cutnjump
Not sure that is always the case. If they started at a VHSL school, they have 4 years to play from the time they start 9th grade. If they transferred to LCA from a public school after 9th grade, then they have a four year window to play public school athletics that started when they first enrolled in 9th grade even if they are still within the age parameters.
You are spot on. I read the VHSL manual this morning and that's the rule. I will say it again it will be interesting to see how closely these classified players are monitored. Many of the Life Academy juniors started out playing for public schools and would be scheduled to graduate in 2023.

This has nothing to do with the specifics of this thread, but I wonder if there is a provision in the League regulations that allows the Executive Director to grant a waiver to a student for an extra year of eligibility if something extreme has occurred to the student? I’m thinking not, because it would set a precedent that would open the floodgates.
Is your question regarding VHSL or VISAA granting a waiver? I can't speak for the VHSL, but I do know the VISAA has an appeal policy if a student is denied an extra year due to aging out (turning 19 before Aug 1st). However, I couldn't say for sure if an appeal has ever been granted. I know the VISAA is pretty strict when it comes to the age policy. I have seen them turn down several appeals when an athlete got injured and applied for an extra year of HS. But VISAA denied those appeals if the athlete turned 19 before Aug 1st.
Not accurate. The VHSL does not punish athletes who reclass at private schools and then come back to public schools. Happens all the time in the state of VA. Kids start at public school in 9th grade. Play sports and then transfer to a private school and reclass. Then go back to public school a year or two later and they dont lose a year of eligibility. I've personally seen it happen many times.

You are spot on. I read the VHSL manual this morning and that's the rule. I will say it again it will be interesting to see how closely these classified players are monitored. Many of the Life Academy juniors started out playing for public schools and would be scheduled to graduate in 2023.
Like I said. These reclassed kids will be allowed to play at any public school and not lose their senior year of eligibility. I've seen it happen with many kids. I could name several right now in that very scenario.

Is your question regarding VHSL or VISAA granting a waiver? I can't speak for the VHSL, but I do know the VISAA has an appeal policy if a student is denied an extra year due to aging out (turning 19 before Aug 1st). However, I couldn't say for sure if an appeal has ever been granted. I know the VISAA is pretty strict when it comes to the age policy. I have seen them turn down several appeals when an athlete got injured and applied for an extra year of HS. But VISAA denied those appeals if the athlete turned 19 before Aug 1st.

Not accurate. The VHSL does not punish athletes who reclass at private schools and then come back to public schools. Happens all the time in the state of VA. Kids start at public school in 9th grade. Play sports and then transfer to a private school and reclass. Then go back to public school a year or two later and they dont lose a year of eligibility. I've personally seen it happen many times.
We will agree to disagree. You are right, that they don't lose a year of eligibility. But they aren't allowed to gain an extra year of VHSL eligibility either by reclassing at a private school. I'm sure some people have done it and the AD didn't realize it or turn it in, but at a VHSL school they have 4 years to play 4 years.

Reactions: cutnjump

Well said!

Reactions: gwb16
I doubt the VHSL will be all over it unfortunately. There have been plenty of accusations of other coaches recruiting in years past and nothing has come of it. VHSL simply doesn't have the resources to investigate every rumor or accusation of a coach recruiting. Honestly, I am not sure VHSL even cares.
Very true. A certain DC from Lynchburg city got caught red handed (screen shots taken by players and sent to admin) attempting to recruit two players from a nearby school. Seriously doubt anything will be done…. Pathetic really that the VHSL doesn’t seem to have an appetite to enforce their own rules.
(Also super pathetic of that coach)

Very true. A certain DC from Lynchburg city got caught red handed (screen shots taken by players and sent to admin) attempting to recruit two players from a nearby school. Seriously doubt anything will be done…. Pathetic really that the VHSL doesn’t seem to have an appetite to enforce their own rules.
(Also super pathetic of that coach)
All schools do it homie. If you slap Heritage for it, you best believe you can slap Glass for it. Amherst’s best players back in 2016 came from Nelson County. Poor Covington was depleted by Botty. Dan River took enough skill kids from GW over majority of the past 15 years and had become a basketball powerhouse. It’s really not as bad as y’all make it out to be, considering the same teams in VA basically win it all every year. VHSL needs to exert their energy in making the quality of play better come playoff time. Reduce it down to 4 classes so things are more competitive. That’s what the focus should be on.

Reactions: mbonape1
All schools do it homie. If you slap Heritage for it, you best believe you can slap Glass for it. Amherst’s best players back in 2016 came from Nelson County. Poor Covington was depleted by Botty. Dan River took enough skill kids from GW over majority of the past 15 years and had become a basketball powerhouse. It’s really not as bad as y’all make it out to be, considering the same teams in VA basically win it all every year. VHSL needs to exert their energy in making the quality of play better come playoff time. Reduce it down to 4 classes so things are more competitive. That’s what the focus should be on.
You are absolutely right, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. The most overused and misused word in high school sports today..."recruiting." I would love to hear, better yet see, these so called screenshots of this guy or another coach "attempting to recruit" players. People use that word more than President Trump used the term "fake news." 🤣

Nah they don't - but not about to go into it here again - it's been exhausted, largely with pretty elementary logic but 🤦‍♂️("all schools do it = it's okay" or my favorite, "yeah but they didn't win the championship!!!") You ain't changing your mind and I'm not changing mine. As for the screen shots....Heritage is not the city school I was referencing. DC from Glass messaged kids from Amherst not more than a couple hours after the game finished the night they played and openly recruited them. This is not second or third hand, I've seen them myself, as have both administrations. Like I said I won't engage with any attempts at rationalizing or equivocating - because again, we're not changing each other's minds so what's the point - but I can assure you it happened and that the screenshots exist, again seen them with my own eyes. But if you think I'm full of it and have a personal connection to Woody, just ask him.

Nah they don't - but not about to go into it here again - it's been exhausted, largely with pretty elementary logic but 🤦‍♂️("all schools do it = it's okay" or my favorite, "yeah but they didn't win the championship!!!") You ain't changing your mind and I'm not changing mine. As for the screen shots....Heritage is not the city school I was referencing. DC from Glass messaged kids from Amherst not more than a couple hours after the game finished the night they played and openly recruited them. This is not second or third hand, I've seen them myself, as have both administrations. Like I said I won't engage with any attempts at rationalizing or equivocating - because again, we're not changing each other's minds so what's the point - but I can assure you it happened and that the screenshots exist, again seen them with my own eyes. But if you think I'm full of it and have a personal connection to Woody, just ask him.
Who were the players that were "openly recruited" and what was said in the messages that you supposedly saw?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Who were the players that were "openly recruited" and what was said in the messages that you supposedly saw?
Not gunna name kids on here. One is a corner and one is a safety. Telling players how great they’d work in your system and that they should think about it is by definition, recruiting. Again, you seem super close to the program so go ask Woody if you think I’m making all of this up.

Reactions: VolNation85
Same Glass coaches that were yelling in the face of the Spartan players coming out of the locker room? No class glass at it again.

• Haha
Reactions: VolNation85
Not gunna name kids on here. One is a corner and one is a safety. Telling players how great they’d work in your system and that they should think about it is by definition, recruiting. Again, you seem super close to the program so go ask Woody if you think I’m making all of this up.
I don't think you're "making it up" but I do know that people interpret things differently. Prime example is the recent tweet by Skip Bayless in regards to the Bills-Bengals game the other day. A lot of people were up in arms about what they perceived Skip's tweet meant. Others seemed to be more sympathetic of Skip's tweet. I guess we will never know and I guess it doesn't even matter at this point.

I guess I have a different interpretation of what "recruiting" means. I think of recruiting as offering something to players in order to get them to come to your program.

Do you know what VHSL defines recruiting as or if they do at all?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
The family has full autonomy to act on that or not. Also, you don’t know what kind of previous relationship the Coach at Glass has with that student athlete. Cave Spring’s basketball coach did the same thing after a game and openly talked about it. That kid won him a state championship and is playing for VT.

The family has full autonomy to act on that or not. Also, you don’t know what kind of previous relationship the Coach at Glass has with that student athlete. Cave Spring’s basketball coach did the same thing after a game and openly talked about it. That kid won him a state championship and is playing for VT.
Dude. Good Lord. You’re doing the exact same thing again. The question wasn’t if the kids had a previous relationship with the coach or if Cave Spring also did it or what recourse the families may or may not now have. Wanna know why? Because the answer to those questions are entirely irrelevant to the actual question at hand, which is whether or not it happened in the first place. Doesn’t matter, VHSL won’t do a dang thing.

(Holding people accountable just isn’t hip any more I guess - or ole Donnie boy and his entire clown show would be in prison for 1/6.)

You are absolutely right, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. The most overused and misused word in high school sports today..."recruiting." I would love to hear, better yet see, these so called screenshots of this guy or another coach "attempting to recruit" players. People use that word more than President Trump used the term "fake news." 🤣
ALL FACTS! What a lot of people on here fail to realize…Jeff Woody, Loren Johnson, or Brad Bradley doesn’t have to recruit. Kids are coming there regardless. Now you may have someone on the staff who has connections to youth league coaches who influences a kid to come there, but that’s on the parent. The recruiting talk gets tiring.

Dude. Good Lord. You’re doing the exact same thing again. The question wasn’t if the kids had a previous relationship with the coach or if Cave Spring also did it or what recourse the families may or may not now have. Wanna know why? Because the answer to those questions are entirely irrelevant to the actual question at hand, which is whether or not it happened in the first place. Doesn’t matter, VHSL won’t do a dang thing.

(Holding people accountable just isn’t hip any more I guess - or ole Donnie boy and his entire clown show would be in prison for 1/6.)
Everything I said is a harsh reality and the term “recruiting” is all conjecture based. The ones yelling another program is recruiting should use that same energy to ensure their guys work hard enough in the off-season to whip the team in question’s a$$ when they play.

I agree that we should hold people accountable. 100%. We also have to grow a sack and stop making excuses. Conjecture and emotionalism is all I hear though in these recruit discussions on here.

Mr. ALL CAPS calling others too emotional is too good😂. And if you ever actually want to enter discourse with a commitment to staying on point, hit me up✌, cause when you aren’t so all over the map logically, you have some fun commentary.

Mr. ALL CAPS calling others too emotional is too good😂. And if you ever actually want to enter discourse with a commitment to staying on point, hit me up✌, cause when you aren’t so all over the map logically, you have some fun commentary.
We’ll agree to disagree. Follow me on twitter though. Love following local sports fans and talking ball. I’ll get you that info if you have one.

Same Glass coaches that were yelling in the face of the Spartan players coming out of the locker room? No class glass at it again.
Glass coaches yelling in the faces of Salem players leaving the locker room? If that is an accurate depiction of what transpired, I find it hard to believe this is the first time this information would have come to light. Care to share any more context or information about this accusation?

FlufppjXEAgyt8j

Well, it'll be easy to sell a turn-around if that happens, that schedule went 58-53 last year with about five playoff wins between them.

Well, it'll be easy to sell a turn-around if that happens, that schedule went 58-53 last year with about five playoff wins between them.
That’s a very good district outside of Wythe, Cosby and Clover Hill. Their out of district schedule is bad though. Henrico is going to be terrible, Caroline is going to be better but if I’m contending I’m not playing them, and Tee Jay will be very good but the top 12 in Class 4 would probably beat them. We’ll know if they’re improved by the Bird and Manchester games. That’s a very good measuring stick for any Class 4 program for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT