ADVERTISEMENT

I Know One thing for sure Riverheads better not get up here talking about they got 474 students

woodlayer#952002

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 26, 2012
I know the VHSL better keep a head count on how many students these schools have in 1A next year we cant keep having single A D2 schools drop down to win 1A championships I'm not dropping any names just speaking subliminally but if the shoe fits and you feel some type of way then maybe this post is about your program but in know way shape or form that the number of student in your school stop right at the deadline for 1A not buying it because there are some schools in 1A the only have about 200 to 300 students total that's barely competing barely have enough students to go 11 on 11 let alone give the first team a descent look in practice. I just don't like the fact the VHSL is not stricter on this fine line between 1A and single A D2 number of students but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk because you still have to play the game if the VHSL don't correct this problem it will eventually correct its self just ask Essex they dropped down and was the cream of the crop and the lord blessed AltaVista with Thornehill that QB was something special. Congratulations Riverheads you did what you were expected to do blowout all the 1A schools and lose to the only D2 school that you played. Your time will come the sun don't shine forever.

Last edited:
According to the VDOE website, Riverheads has 476 students for the 2016-17 school year and 481 students for the 2015-16 school year.

It's no** not know.

You are literally crying over spilt milk while saying you won't.

You call out Essex and Riverheads yet say Altavista was blessed with some great talent. So is it that wrong that the other schools have great talent?

I don't like the Red Team at all..but they have been beating 1A, 2A, 3A teams since 2000 religiously every year. They have a great system that works and they have players who buy in and work hard.

Reactions: RedPride07
So what's Wilson's / Stuarts draft /gaps numbers Trevor ? They send kids to tech school to , let's go ahead and see if they are so called manipulating the system , lets investigate every school in the state lol

Reactions: Trevor_Cash
I'm sure they all manipulate the system Woodlayer , I'm sure that the chance to get their kids in a state champ game is way more important then getting the funding of a higher classification for education !!! Rediculous !!!!

There's no perfect system and people will have complaints no matter what. With the old system the divisions were split up by region and there was no exact cutoff number (the bigger half in a region were d2 and smaller half we're D1..so you had one region where the cut off was say 500 and another region where the cut off was 350(these are hypothetical numbers). For example, region b had the biggest size schools in single A so you had Buffalo Gap who would've been D2 in any other region but was D1 in Region B. In the new system there's an actual cutoff. Whether any schools are manipulating their numbers so that they play in a particular division...idk. Essex was D2 forever and pretty much had just as much success then as now. When the system changed they fell below the number that the VHSL decided on. They didn't "drop down", the system changed.

Reactions: gwb16
VHSL requires schools to turn in average day attendance. Students get sick and go on vacation. No school will match the attendance number posted by the VDOE. I am surprised Riverheads' VHSL number of 474 is so close to the VDOE number of 476. Riverheads definitely doesn't have a problem getting kids to school.

Reactions: obguthr
This is the dumbest thread ever. Just stop, everyone. Riverheads comes in 2nd last year and no one mentions numbers, but the kids work hard, embrace the values that you would want all your kids to apply to their lives, and now there is hate. Just quiet down, do what you can so the kids at your school can work hard and earn their own championship.
No one has or ever will play with these numbers so a football team can play football against certain football teams.
No one related to football has any impact on such administrative items.
If you have concerns, contact the Augusta County School Board, as that is where these type of comments need to be directed.

Ditto on what TrojanFan22560 typed. Heck, back in the days of divisions Nelson County, a Region B school, won the D1 state basketball title and had a bigger enrollment than the team that won the D2 championship! Essex is where they've always been: Group A/1A.
And ADM (Average Daily Membership) does not equal enrollment. ADM is based on the average # of students in a school daily. Show me a school with a school day with no absences and I will do a Fred Sanford.

Essex was in the 2A state championship their ladt year in 2A and won 2A in 09. As of this school year they have around 380 students

I will be picky and say the Essex has never been 2A. They were Group A, Division 2 when things were divided divisionally but that was nothing like 2A is now because that breakdown was done on a regional basis. The current system is done on a statewide level. As a matter of fact Essex was Division 1 one year in the late 90s and probably got robbed of a state championship the following year as that was the only time the VHSL did a 1 year cycle for divisions.

It's no** not know.

You are literally crying over spilt milk while saying you won't.

You call out Essex and Riverheads yet say Altavista was blessed with some great talent. So is it that wrong that the other schools have great talent?

I don't like the Red Team at all..but they have been beating 1A, 2A, 3A teams since 2000 religiously every year. They have a great system that works and they have players who buy in and work hard.
your right but big red is still running from 2A I don't care what you say

Seems weird to me that the folks that KNOW all about this are on VAPreps, but those in charge are oblivious. Clearly you guys know it all. Sour grapes, and not from Sussex. Congrats on a great season to the Tigers. I'll check back in August

Reactions: Bama1985
So what's Wilson's / Stuarts draft /gaps numbers Trevor ? They send kids to tech school to , let's go ahead and see if they are so called manipulating the system , lets investigate every school in the state lol
not every school just a few needs investigations

Essex was Group A, Division 2 when they lost to Goochland in 2012. That was the first time cross-bracketing was used in the semifinals. The 6 classification system which created 1A, 2A, etc. started the next season. You can look it up in the VHSL record book:
A‐Division 2 2012
Goochland 41 Essex 14

Hey Woodlayer , Did u ever look back at RH sched this year against 2a and 3a schools , evidently u can't tell sarcasm when u see it . Lost to 1 2a school . Don't see anybody running from 2a . Whatever classification they put our kids in they will play . I'm proud of our kids and their coaching staff . So if u hav a prob with their classification take it up with vhsl and let them take care of the prob if there is one , no mater where the cutoff is there is gonna b a school at the top of the cutoff # and one at the bottom .

Reactions: Bama1985
I'm a number kind of person so I looked at the numbers fpr Riverheads high dating back to 1999 to 2016 and here are the results
year attendance
99 519
00 519
01 517
02 518
03 495
04 493
05 536
06 561
07 579
08 526
09 496
10 496
11 512 division 2
12 512 division 2
13 494 division 2
14 474 division 2
15 474
16 474
so from a high in 07 to a low in 14 15 16 you lost a 105 students did they lose at least 4 teachers per subject also just looking at the numbers they look fishy no growth or loss in 3 years and by all other years the enrollment moves

It does look shady, but Riverheads would have went far in the 2A playoffs too. They would have struggled with Richlands, already lost to Draft, and most assuredly would have lost to Appo. I feel like they would have beaten everyone else in the field. The Union and Dan River games would be close, but Riverheads would win. For a 1A team, they have to use an awfully small font for their roster in the program, just saying.

Reactions: oldballcoach13
I will be picky and say the Essex has never been 2A. They were Group A, Division 2 when things were divided divisionally but that was nothing like 2A is now because that breakdown was done on a regional basis. The current system is done on a statewide level. As a matter of fact Essex was Division 1 one year in the late 90s and probably got robbed of a state championship the following year as that was the only time the VHSL did a 1 year cycle for divisions.
Essex got beat in 2a by goochland their last year in 2a...maybe 5 years ago..

OMG, rtff. Single A Division 2 is not the same as 2A.
I can't believe how many people have this confused. Single A had divisions 1 and 2. AA had divisions 3 and 4. AAA had divisions 5 and 6. you can't even argue that Division 2 then was the same as AA now because in the old system was broken down on the region level and there wasn't an actual number that separated divisions or even classes for that matter. There were some single A teams bigger than some AA teams. There were AAA teams small enough to be AA, etc. The new system is more fair because there is at least an actual cutoff between classes where before a school could play up or down based on geography, rivals, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: obguthr
I'm a number kind of person so I looked at the numbers fpr Riverheads high dating back to 1999 to 2016 and here are the results
year attendance
99 519
00 519
01 517
02 518
03 495
04 493
05 536
06 561
07 579
08 526
09 496
10 496
11 512 division 2
12 512 division 2
13 494 division 2
14 474 division 2
15 474
16 474
so from a high in 07 to a low in 14 15 16 you lost a 105 students did they lose at least 4 teachers per subject also just looking at the numbers they look fishy no growth or loss in 3 years and by all other years the enrollment moves
Imagine that!

Reactions: oldballcoach13
year attendance
99 519
00 519
01 517
02 518
03 495
04 493
05 536
06 561
07 579
08 526
09 496
10 496
11 512 division 2
12 512 division 2
13 494 division 2
14 474 division 2
15 474
16 474
That's quite interesting.

I can't believe you have me taking up for RHS. What has gotten into me
You are Ok Trevor these kids work hard,play hard and deserve to be the champions,every week someone is running them down,to slow, no skill and whatever else they can think,these kids see this stuff and feed off of it,I know I would and I would shove in their face every chance I got.

Riverhead has enrollment this year of 519 students, they don't hide it.
Not quiet, just watching grown men cry. Go ahead and continue while the adults observe.
I'm not crying saw all the talk about it decided to look for myself I don't have a dog in the fight and could not find Sussex on a map of Va but vhsl website reports you have 474 not 519 if that is so this is the end of a cycle RHS should be division 2 next year.

I'm not crying saw all the talk about it decided to look for myself I don't have a dog in the fight and could not find Sussex on a map of Va but vhsl website reports you have 474 not 519 if that is so this is the end of a cycle RHS should be division 2 next year.
They had 478 in 2014 start of cycle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT