ADVERTISEMENT

Is 4A and 5A the sweet spot for dynasties?

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
5 teams in the VHSL playoff era have won three straight state titles:

Hampton, Phoebus, Briar Woods, Salem and L.C. Bird.

With the exception of Bird's first title (In D6), these feats have all been accomplished in D4, D5 or 4A and 5A. No one has ever pulled it off in another division or classification.

I was wondering if you think this is a statistical fluke or if it's just easier for a program to stay on top in these classifications.

If I were to tell you without you knowing anything that 5 programs had done this, you could calculate the probability that they would all be in 4A and 5A would be 1 in 243, but that's bad statistics. Noticing a correlation from data you've already inspected proves nothing (you'll almost always be able to find something and more often than not, it's a statistical anomaly rather than a cause and effect thing), but I can at least throw out a conjecture and see what you think.

If you're a school with a top notch PROGRAM, you're going to be consistently about as good as you can be given the talent you have. In 6A, there are schools with so many students that the schools who are not quite a top notch program. Perhaps at these enrollment levels we're at a level where every year some school is going to have so much talent that they can just out-talent you and the average program will just have too much even for the better program.

In 3A and below I wonder if you don't get the opposite effect. Some years, even with the best Program in the world, the probability gods just don't send you enough talent.

Perhaps 4A and 5A is the sweet spot where a really good program can count on enough talent coming out every year to implement their successful system, but another program showing up that has so much talent it just overwhelms you is rare enough to make a 3 state championship run a little more likely in those classifications.

Don't get me wrong, here. I'm not saying there aren't dynasties in 6A, 3A, 2A and 1A. No denying the greatness of programs like C.D. Hylton, Powell Valley and Southampton when they were in their glory days, but even at their best, those storied programs never pulled off three-peats.

Do you think it's a statistical fluke, do you think my theory has merits, or is there something else you think I'm missing. I really don't know, but when I see a statistical anomaly like this, I like to try to explain it, but humans are apt to see patterns where none exist.

Simplifying, or otherwise stating your theory a little differently, let me put it this way. "It is easier to three-peat in groups 4a and 5a than in any other group"! (Now that is just a statement, I'm not sure if I believe this until we tear it down).

To consider the contention you have offered, (and I know you are asking more than stating), we have to look back and see if it was historically accurate. Unfortunately, numbers are very objective, but our analysis is fraught with subjectivity. For example, what is "unusually talented"? You can be assumed unusually talented simply because your opponent is unusually inept. Were Hampton, Phoebus, etc. unusually talented, or was the competition not as talented. Tough idea to quantify. But assuming these teams were unusually talented, or unusually under-talented, can we find something unique about this general size school population that makes this a reoccurring phenomena.

This idea goes in the face of the generally held belief that a group of smaller teams can be more successful by the luck of the draw providing them a couple or three really good atheletes. The opposite argument is more accurate to explaining why the bigger schools can't seem to string three together. 100+ players, and they are all talented. Just one or two super athletes won't hardly be noticed.

So, small schools should have more three-peats, and large schools less. But only half of this seems accurate. So size does not matter? Then what does? Or, as stated, is this just simply a temporary anomaly? Given a statistical healthy length of time, everything equals out? Very interesting, my dear Watson.

It's an interesting thesis. I would be very surprised to see a 3-peat in 6A and somewhat surprised in 1A. It seems like mostly happenstance to me that it hasn't happened in AA3/3A or AA2/2A. I'm surprised that Powell Valley didn't do it during the Thomas Jones-Julius Jones era, though maybe that's an "exception" that proves the rule. I think some AA3/3A teams have been close, and I could see it happening if they had a couple of D-IA level athletes in a cycle and a better than average supporting cast.

Salem actually won 4 out of 5 in 1996 , 1998 , 1999 and 2000 . Then again in 2004 and 2005 .

Thank God football games start soon. So we can discuss weekly stuff. I find this type of discussion extremely interesting, but "who will win and why someone lost" is really much more entertaining.

Salem actually won 4 out of 5 in 1996 , 1998 , 1999 and 2000 . Then again in 2004 and 2005 .
With the current setups, you will never see this type of dominance again by anyone. I can see a 3 peat when there are some very special players that lead the way but no more.

What about the current set-up do you think makes it harder? Just curious.
Teams went another route in the playoffs. You had to go locally and through Districts. Then to Regionals. Almost all teams were very familiar with each other. You could almost always count on teams like Powhatan and Salem cruising through their Districts, getting home field advantage and getting to the regional Finals against relatively easy opponents.

Now, everyone gets numbered 1 - 16, depending on record and SOS. They meet teams they don't know and can often be long trips. Although a high seed does offer a pretty easy first playoff game. Certainly makes an argument for an easier schedule than in the past.

With the current setups, you will never see this type of dominance again by anyone. I can see a 3 peat when there are some very special players that lead the way but no more.
Your theory is going to be sorely tested this season with L.C. Bird the preseason favorites to win 5A and get only the third 4-peat in VHSL history.

Reactions: mike salem
Now, everyone gets numbered 1 - 16, depending on record and SOS. They meet teams they don't know and can often be long trips. Although a high seed does offer a pretty easy first playoff game. Certainly makes an argument for an easier schedule than in the past.

That only happens in 1A, 2A and in the Northern and Western parts of the state. The Richmond and Tidewater admins have made enough changes to the system that it is actually quite similar to the regional set ups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT