ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rustburg front runner in 3A to take title

Nov 25, 2002
I haven't seen Rustburg play this year but I sure have been noticing them from a distance. I remember the last few years Rustburg would come out and beat any team first half but seemed to run out of steam 2nd half. Not this year! That team will beat you 4 quarters! Lord Botetourt has been flying under the radar as well! Magna Vista is gaining some ground. And Brookville and Heritage are teams you have to always keep on your radar! I had Heritage winning it all before season started but QB injury has had them grinding more than they were wanting to this season. Abingdon is in the mix as well. But is it just me or is 3A unusually down this year compared to years past? What are your thoughts on your team picks to take the title?

With Phoebus now getting shutout in 2 straight I don't see how Rustburg wouldn't be the front runner right now. Lord Botertourt is good as well but I think a team with good D will beat them... I think it's possible for them (Rustburg) to at least go all the way. Winning it is a whole different ball game... News & Advance was hinting on the possibility that this team had a chance before the season started.
Friday night vs Amherst will tell us everything we need to know & probably answer that question.
I like Staunton River too but only if they can out score every team they meet... Abingdon I haven't seen, but isn't their season schedule fairly weak? Seems to me they run through the regular season and get to playoffs and lose fairly quickly.

As we all know, the game goes to a new level when playoffs start. Rustburg has had a great season, but they have a tough task ahead this week going to Amherst and finish the season at home with another 4A squad in Glass. If they can win both of those and stay healthy they can stay playing at home for the playoffs. But, the playoffs bring Cinderella stories so you never know. This is a great time to be a fan

With Phoebus now getting shutout in 2 straight I don't see how Rustburg wouldn't be the front runner right now. Lord Botertourt is good as well but I think a team with good D will beat them... I think it's possible for them (Rustburg) to at least go all the way. Winning it is a whole different ball game... News & Advance was hinting on the possibility that this team had a chance before the season started.
Friday night vs Amherst will tell us everything we need to know & probably answer that question.
I like Staunton River too but only if they can out score every team they meet... Abingdon I haven't seen, but isn't their season schedule fairly weak? Seems to me they run through the regular season and get to playoffs and lose fairly quickly.

Abingdon beat Rustburg and Northside last year in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. They lost to Botetourt in a very competitive game so I wouldn't say that they lost fairly quickly. As to the schedule, the nearest 3A opponent for Abingdon is Blacksburg and Christiansburg who both 90 miles away. Both are on the schedule.

Abingdon has a good team.

I feel like most of the smoke is in the Lynchburg area this year: Rustburg, Brookeville, Staunton River, Lord Botetourt (stretching definition of Lynchburg area?), Heritage and Magna Vista (it's a big area). Abingdon looks good. Lakeland, Phoebus and Hopewell will be hitting the playoffs after playing a lot of bigger schools so I can't count them out. I also feel like 3A has a little more parity than the other classes this year, so while I would say Rustburg is the favorite, they're not overwhelming favorites.

Abingdon beat Rustburg and Northside last year in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. They lost to Botetourt in a very competitive game so I wouldn't say that they lost fairly quickly. As to the schedule, the nearest 3A opponent for Abingdon is Blacksburg and Christiansburg who both 90 miles away. Both are on the schedule.

Abingdon has a good team.
The Falcons scored a big win over Richlands this past week... Considering Richlands gave Appomattox all they wanted last year in the playoffs, and the Raiders are the undefeated team in our area.... 22 or 23 in a row? I'd say they have to be in the consideration for top in 3A

I would have to agree with Gilliam regarding some of the 3a East teams playing up and being ready come playoff time; however, I know very little about Rustburg or Abingdon so I will have to trust the posters opinions.

I have seen James Monroe, Hopewell, and Petersburg, play and none of these teams will likely be able to handle a highly physical and well coached team like Botetourt (Have seen them live). Hopewell, Lakeland, James Monroe and Phoebus have decent talent, but I honestly believe a team from the West claims the crown again. The West is much deeper and well rounded. Magna Vista always shows up come playoff time and I really enjoy their offense. If Heritage, Staunton River and Brookville show some consistency they could play a role in the title chase. Its always about match-ups, so that will be the key for Rustburg.

Botetourt's offense leaves a bit to be desired at times, but their defense may be one of the best I have seen this season. The Overstreet kid has a motor that will not quit and his technique is so sound. Their db's may be their defensive weakness, but you better get rid of the ball quick. Despite their offensive woes, the Cavalier's are my pick to win it all.

Last edited:
MV had a big injury against Patrick county, best linebacker/defensive player went down with knee injury. Hear it's acl. Big loss

Last edited:
I just don't see Stanton River being able to get major stops in games to win closer games. Sure they can put up points but we ALL know what wins championships...

I agree that the west is more well rounded but I'm gonna go ahead and make a vague prediction that a Seminole team will play for the trophy. Heritage is good and I think they can go pretty far if they close out games. Would really like to see a SRiver/Brookville matchup...

D-mn!!!! I hate that for any young man, especially Scales who I think is the scariest football player west of Richmond. Kid is a mini Lawrence Taylor. Good kid too. Many youngins out here concerned with social media and running behind the girls. Scales is a good ole country boy who likes to ride horses and hunt. He's a hard worker. It sucks for any young man and I hate it for him! MV will be alright. The system/program they have is second to none in the area. I haven't seen them live this year but I see they have some big boys by looking at Hudl. I'm looking forward to seeing how them and the Danville boys square off in 2 weeks

D-mn!!!! I hate that for any young man, especially Scales who I think is the scariest football player west of Richmond. Kid is a mini Lawrence Taylor. Good kid too. Many youngins out here concerned with social media and running behind the girls. Scales is a good ole country boy who likes to ride horses and hunt. He's a hard worker. It sucks for any young man and I hate it for him! MV will be alright. The system/program they have is second to none in the area. I haven't seen them live this year but I see they have some big boys by looking at Hudl. I'm looking forward to seeing how them and the Danville boys square off in 2 weeks
Cameron Page is the one who was injuried. He was injuried on a non contact play, playing wide receiver. I have heard it may not be that bad, but then again I have heard it looked pretty bad. So only time will tell I guess. According to his twitter he will be back this year.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Cameron Page is the one who was injuried. He was injuried on a non contact play, playing wide receiver. I have heard it may not be that bad, but then again I have heard it looked pretty bad. So only time will tell I guess. According to his twitter he will be back this year.
Good. Thanks Ridge. I wish Cameron the best. Praying for a speedy recovery.

I just don't see Stanton River being able to get major stops in games to win closer games. Sure they can put up points but we ALL know what wins championships...

I agree that the west is more well rounded but I'm gonna go ahead and make a vague prediction that a Seminole team will play for the trophy. Heritage is good and I think they can go pretty far if they close out games. Would really like to see a SRiver/Brookville matchup...

Brookville would smoke St. River. Just look at their schedules. Who has St. River beat? Anyone with a winning record? I doubt they could come close to containing Brookville's offense. Everybody knows they dont play defense - stop Overstreet and stop St. River.

Seminole will return to title glory this year. Bville, Rustburg, or Heritage would all beat the Roanoke teams.

Heck yeah, Bee's are playing lights out.. Bernard is quick and has become a major run threat.. He has 2/3-60 plus yards for TDs, and the WRs are playing well the run game will be on track, he averages 4/5 a game in the air, and the secondary and special teams are coming together, will be hard to beat, especially if they lock down home field, when Rustburg takes a L, this Friday to the Lancers..

Brookville would smoke St. River. Just look at their schedules. Who has St. River beat? Anyone with a winning record? I doubt they could come close to containing Brookville's offense. Everybody knows they dont play defense - stop Overstreet and stop St. River.

Seminole will return to title glory this year. Bville, Rustburg, or Heritage would all beat the Roanoke teams.

I wish someone would have given that strategic game plan to other teams that SR has played. Jones has close to 1000 yards and 13 TDs and Tester is averaging 11 yards per carry thru 8 games. Its not the same team as last year....

I wish someone would have given that strategic game plan to other teams that SR has played. Jones has close to 1000 yards and 13 TDs and Tester is averaging 11 yards per carry thru 8 games. Its not the same team as last year....

Just my opinion. Easy to make stats look good against Liberty and Waynesboro. How about scheduling someone that isn't supposed to suck. Give credit where credit is due - Seminole teams always schedule tough competition.

I hear what your saying the Seminole has many good teams but if all goes right they will still have to play the boys from ridgeway, MV that is at some point. I think a brookville vs mv would be a shootout. A lot of people has counted out mv this year but they still have a very good team that's only getting better. If they stay healthy which goes for all teams. Rustburg vs mv would also be good, how are rustburgs , brookville, and heritage cornerbacks? If not good they would get exploited.

Last edited:
Reactions: LowRider635
Speaking of stat games, you have LIBERTY and GRETNA on the schedule. Plus, you lost to a 4-4 team and got physically dominated by Rustburg. Must be feeling pretty good about yourselves up there on Timberlake Rd.....

Reactions: onereddevil4
Dominanted, look they did won the game, but you have to play during all conditions, they didn't capitalize on from what I saw, but on dry condition hands down they Win, am sure playoffs time they are praying not to see them at Stinger Stadium, but they have to beat the Lancers to keep the#1 seed..tuff task this week..

Reactions: KevinLee44
Blaming the conditions? 17 Point difference in game 1 and you have the guts to predict a victory? Hoping another team beats them so that you don't have to go to their place? Wow, spread mentality at its finest.

Speaking of stat games, you have LIBERTY and GRETNA on the schedule. Plus, you lost to a 4-4 team and got physically dominated by Rustburg. Must be feeling pretty good about yourselves up there on Timberlake Rd.....[/QUOTE
Liberty is a district game...

and they have 5A Albermarle with a good record and WA and Harrisonburg both with winning records....

Brookville doesn't lose to Rusburg in dry conditions...

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!! BROOKVILLE WILL ADAVANCE INTO THE FINAL FOUR!!!

Reactions: KevinLee44
IMO the Seminole is way down this year

Speaking as a district fan....
I'm not sure how the Seminole is down this season. 3 teams ranked in the top ten 3a west (including 1st and 2nd) and 2 teams ranked top ten in 4a west seems pretty decent. I'm not going to go out on the limb and say any team is better than the rest of the state. I just don't understand how the district is down when 5 out of 7 are ranked

Hello there. Yes, my Dawgs looked good against Tunstall. I really wished they had played better against GW. I think my Dawgs will be tough when the playoffs start.

A 2A school is about to beat all the best teams in the Seminole...

That 2a team has won 23 in a row Appomattox is lead by one of the best high school coaches/stand up gentleman you will find in the state. There is absolutely no shame losing to the Raiders.
I strongly encourage you to go to Amherst this Friday and watch the Seminole championship game it will be well worth the time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT